GDB minus-7: No team is an Islander unto themselves

Jason Gregor
September 16 2009 10:11AM

liam-reddox-tongue

The Oilers will ice a more veteran laden lineup tonight in their pre-season tilt against the Islanders Rexall.

**UPDATE***

The Islanders have Tavares listed as playing tonight along with Doug Weight. Some other interesting names to watch for the Islanders include netminder Mikko Koskinen, their 2nd round pick. They are really high on him. If you are looking for some fisticuffs, Joel Rechlicz is tough and would be more than willing to dance with Steve MacIntyre.

Some interesting combos tonight:

Nilsson — Gagner — Hemsky Penner — Cogliano — Eberle Cornet — Pouliot — Pisani MacIntyre — Reddox — Trukhno

Souray — Smid Grebeshkov — Motin Taylor — Young

JDD and DD

Reddox started the first half of practice in the middle with Pisani and Cornet, but then he switched jerseys with Pouliot half way through.

I’m surprised Reddox is playing the middle tonight; I can only assume that the coaching staff wants all the returning players to get in one of these first two games. Visnovsky is the only guy who isn’t playing. Khabibulin hasn't dressed yet either, but they plan on getting him in once and maybe twice over the weekend. Brule didn’t finish the season here, so he doesn’t count, and he is the only guy with a chance to make the team that hasn't played yet. He will be in on Friday it sounds like.

Although it is a bit surprising to see Reddox in the middle and not Brule, it's only one pre-season game, and don’t fret thinking the Red Ox will play down the middle this year.

Nilsson has a chance to impress tonight playing with Gagner and Hemsky. Mike Comrie had two points last night, and from where I sit I think those two are in a direct battle for a spot in the top six. I just don’t see how Comrie can play centre on this team, unless they move Cogliano to the wing and go with three offensive-oriented lines.

If you are going to the game or watching online, keep an eye on Motin, he wears #29. The swede is not a “chicken Swede”, by any stretch. He doesn’t crush guys, but he plays a style that will piss off the opposition.

TODAY WE GO TWO TIMES A WEEK

Starting today the always jovial Brownlee will be on Just A Game twice a week. You can listen to the sultry tones of Brownlee twice a week now, Wednesdays and Thursdays. But his weekly IRRITANTS will only air on Thursdays.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#201 Cam
September 17 2009, 08:55AM

Dr. Unk wrote:

Better take another look, I pretty sure it was disney princess, not toy story.

You only recognized them because you have a matching princess pillow. ;-)

#202 woody
September 17 2009, 09:51AM

I cannot for the life of me find any online archived highlights of last night's Oilers/Islanders game. WTF? Even the streaming of the game was pretty welfare compared to the what the Flames production crew assembled the night before. I mean, is it really that hard to have a graphic showing the score or the clock? Jeezus.

Does anybody know where I might be able to see highlights of the goals and fights?

Please and Thanks.

#203 patty
September 17 2009, 09:58AM

@ woody: tsn.ca has it on the right-hand side of the home page. I haven't seen the Mac fight yet. Maybe it'll show up on hockeyfights within a couple days

#204 woody
September 17 2009, 10:01AM

@ patty:

Thanks Patty. It still utterly blows my mind that I cannot access those highlights on the Oilers homepage. Shocking, really.

#205 RossCreek
September 17 2009, 10:30AM

Ya i don't understand why the fight wasn't on the highlights. ITS NHL PREASON HOCKEY! YOU GET FIGHTS HERE, FIGHTS THERE. IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA SHOW THEM, GO SHOW INTRAMURALS BROTHER. GO SHOW INTRAMURALS.

#206 patty
September 17 2009, 11:22AM

@ woody: I'd guess that they half-ass it a bit because it doens't bring in any revenue. They show the games online due to fan demand, but probably don't want to invest much in it. Still would be great to see though.

@ RossCreek: Ha ha. I read that in Hulk Hogan's voice in my head.

#207 Dr. Unk
September 17 2009, 03:42PM

@ Cam:

What can I say, Princess Jasmine is hot.

#209 duck