Deep thoughts XII: Cogs dishes and Gator bids farewell

Robin Brownlee
September 02 2009 02:26PM

Looking as comfortable as a guy about to hit the doctor's office for a vasectomy, Andrew Cogliano spun it the only way he could when he faced the media today to talk about how his name came up in the Dany Heatley trade this summer.

Cogliano, headed to the Ottawa Senators with Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid before Heatley queered the deal by refusing to lift his no movement clause, admits to being shocked at having his name leaked, but says he's moving forward rather than looking back.

What else is he supposed to say?

"When your name comes up, it's pretty shocking early," said Cogliano, addressing reporters after a morning skate at Kinsmen Arenas. "You don't even know what to think.

"As I went on through the weeks, and started thinking a little more, I just kind of put it behind me and focused on hockey."

It's obviously a jolt for a young player like Cogliano to know that GM Steve Tambellini had him ticketed out of town, even if that's clearly part of the business of hockey. Mouthing the words is easy. Meaning them is, it goes without saying, more difficult.

But, after a summer of discontent, Cogliano has spoken with Tambellini and says he'll be ready to go when camps opens.

"For myself, it's pretty disappointing," he said. "I like being here. I like being an Edmonton Oiler. I want to be an Oiler. I like coming back here and I want to play here.

"But I know it's business. I know this is a business move. When you're in trade talks for a 50-goal scorer, it's a part of things."

If anything, the events of this summer might be motivation for Cogliano, who is in the final year of his entry level deal. I'm guessing he's going to have a big season -- assuming coaches Pat Quinn and Tom Renney find a place for him to play in the top six.

"In a way, it's flattering," Cogliano said of being offered up in the Heatley package. "In a way, you look and you say you've got some worth in the market.

"For myself, this is a big year for me and a big year for the team. I've got the same relationships with the guys on the team. It's something that didn't go through.

"I know I'm still a big part of the team. I know I'm a player who has to play well for the team to do well. It's a big year for all of us and I've got to come and think about hockey first."

Hats off to Gator

Jason Smith is the kind of player I always wanted to be growing up, but I wasn't dedicated enough, tough enough or smart enough to recognize my limitations and build on my strengths the way he was.

That's why Smith spent the last 17 seasons playing in the NHL and I've spent many more than that writing about the game from the safety of the press box, where all us smart guys who couldn't hack it or didn't even try have it all figured out.

As you know by now, Smith announced his retirement in Ottawa this morning, marking the end of a distinguished career built on raw guts, true grit and an unmatched desire to compete.

"He had a great career and he left a lot of his body and his heart in Edmonton," said captain Ethan Moreau. "It was a phenomenal career and he definitely touched a lot of guys he played with.

"He was a warrior in every sense of the word. I think sometimes that word gets overused, but some of the things I saw him play with . . . a lot of it cut his career short. He played the game one way."

To say the former Oilers captain was a throwback is to understate,  just as it is to say he'll be missed in this corner of the hockey world. Smith, tough as nails and mean as hell, could play on my team any time. And he'd damn sure wear the "C," too.

There are lots of things I'll miss about Smith.

Back in my days on the beat, when players actually sat around in the dressing room instead of being herded in and out for interviews, I'd cozy up to him every morning, put away my notepad and talk hockey. He'd say, "What do you have for me, Robin?" Smith was way more comfortable just talking than doing interviews, especially if the interview meant he'd have to talk about himself.

I'll miss interrupting him on the golf course in the summers while sniffing around for the terms of his latest contract. I'll miss watching that Corvette of his zip by me on Highway 2 on the way back from the airport at two in the morning, leaving that 300C of mine in the dust.

Most of all, I'll miss watching Smith -- broken bones, dislocated shoulders and determined opponents be damned -- willing himself to be better than talent dictated he should be. Too many players have that backwards these days.

They don't make 'em like Gator anymore.

Brass tacks

Mike Comrie still isn't commenting about his discussions with the Oilers about a return to Edmonton, but I'm telling you that talks are not only ongoing, but getting down to brass tacks.

Comrie didn't speak on the record after skating at Kinsmen Arenas this morning, but we did have a chat and I'll reiterate once again that there is interest on both sides in exploring a deal.

Reading between the lines, I've got a feeling the person who really needs to be sold that the deal is worth doing in terms of cap space and the roster is Tambellini. I'm guessing that once they sit down together -- indications are the sides might meet today -- is this deal will either be sealed or will be put to rest in short order.

At random

-- With a 40-Something owner like Daryl Katz running the show, there's an emphasis on youth and appearance with the Oilers, just as there was when Glen Sather wanted everybody looking sharp in a tailored suit.

Sather would even chide the beat writers if they showed up at formal events like morning practice wearing jeans or T-shirts. "Working in the garden?" he'd ask.

Katz, a workout freak with acres of Sam suits Sather could appreciate, expects his employees to be crisply turned out. That might explain Patrick LaForge at this week's arena update.

LaForge was sporting designer glasses and a nifty goatee. His chin-whiskers were a 30-ish chestnut brown. Last time I saw the 50-Something LaForge with face lettuce, it was grey.

-- Interesting poll over at HF Boards asking people there who their favourite Oiler blogger is.

I finished a distant second to Lowetide in the first round of the poll and I'm in the mix with Jonathan Willis and Pat McLean's always excellent Black Dog Hates Skunks in the second round to determine the official runner-up.

I've got to say I'm extremely disappointed with the results and lack of votes I've received given how much time and effort I spend trying to get over with the HF Boards gang. That's gratitude for you.

-- I don't know if Smith is contemplating staying in the game by taking a look at the coaching business, but somebody with the Oilers should be picking up the phone to find out.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on Team 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#101 Ogden Brother
September 03 2009, 08:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Travis Dakin wrote:

@ Tyler: I hope that is how it went down, I just hope he wasn’t pressured into calling it quits a little early because the Sens created a cap mess. A player like that should go out on his own terms.

At the same time, teams can't be held hostage by players that refuse to give up. If he was no longer one of the 7 best dmen the Sens had, they had no obligation to him IMO.

(Not Smith specific.... just to the theory)

Avatar
#102 Kieso
September 03 2009, 09:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

For what it is worth the guys on the Team are reporting that a shipment ariving at the Edmonton Airport in Comrie's name (sticks and other hockey equipment) is to be subsequently shipped to Rexall. At least that is what the Team guys indicated.

Avatar
#103 Pouzar
September 03 2009, 09:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Deep Oil wrote:

Pouzar wrote: Word out of Ottawa has it that Smith may very well take a position within the Senators organization. He apparently wants to spend his retirement living in Ottawa. Really, that is shocking, that Smith would desire to maintain an income stream, while not proceeding to camp and not collecting 2.6mm. Sounds like the Senator family are just singing out loud today. Pouzar, are you sure, this is pretty far out there…. as Smith’s NHLPA salary has been wiped from the books, as every news story includes that in the header….

Lol, I popped onto the site this morning to check if there were any new articles and all I saw were your dumb comments. I suppose that you must have a different view than most of us here from your position up on the grassy knoll.

Avatar
#104 jake
September 03 2009, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chris wrote:

@ Robin Brownlee: This Comrie thing scares me… I’ve had these vague, conspiricy-theory-like fears that Katz has been interfereing in the hockey operations side of things for quite some time: and a Comrie contract will validate many of these fears. Is it Katz who driving the almost maniacal pursuit of all these “big fish” since he took ownership? Was the huge Horcoff extension with the permission of, or at the behest of Katz? Did Katz instruct Lowe to offer Laraque a sizable contract? Who is really running the show? Is a Pharmacist pretending to be the GM of my beloved Oilers?

I happen to be a pharmacist (not employed by a Rexall related pharmacy) and wth me pretending to be GM, Horcoff, Laraque et al do not get those deals.... ;) Maybe I should be GM...hmmm

Avatar
#105 Deep Oil
September 03 2009, 09:55AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tyler wrote:

Is it certain that Smith isn’t getting paid his $2.6MM? Maybe, as Robin suggested, he worked all summer, the knee wasn’t responding, he told the Sens and, given their other problems, they just agreed to LTIR him and announce his retirement. Smith gets paid even though he can’t play (as he should - the beauty of multi year deals from a player’s perspective is that they shift the risk of debilitating injury to the team) and the Sens get cap relief. What could be wrong with that? Don’t know that that’s how it went down but there’s nothing wrong with that if it did.

____________________________________________________

No - Sens Communications Director (Bryan Morris) confirmed that he was not on the LTIR and "retired" meaning no monies for the family - 1.3mm after tax gone.

Note to Brownlee - it appears that From The Rink - Mirtle is being polite, but the innuendo is present in his column

fromtherink.com

And just like that, the Senators cap issues are gone. Smith was due to make $2.6-million and was widely rumoured to be the salary dump target, perhaps even ending up in the minors, and I wonder if there was a discussion to that effect heading into training camp. It does seem strange to retire in September. (That said, he has battled all kinds of injuries throughout his career, and he does turn 36 in November.) In any event, congrats to the former Oilers captain on a solid career.

Avatar
#106 Pouzar
September 03 2009, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Deep Oil:

Also, if Smith wanted to collect his money, he probably may have failed a physical if he attended training camp anyways and would have been placed on LTIR. When a player is placed on LTIR, the team does not pay a cent of their salary - insurance does. This insurance money comes from the players 56.7% share of HRR (hockey related revenue). That is why a team near or at the upper ceiling can gain cap relief. As far as your conspiracy about long term frontloaded contracts that have been handed out recently and how the players are benefitting goes, due the bad economy players will be paying much of that money back this year to the owners via escrow (probably 25%+). For example, Horcoff's 7 mill he was supposed to get this year may only be about 5-5.5 mill this year instead. Perhaps if other internet bloggers want to be taken seriously like OS is they should at least get their facts straight. Cheers.

Avatar
#107 Quicksilver ballet
September 03 2009, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Where's the money coming from that allows Jason to retire under the Senators terms? How come and why don't these funds count against Ottawas cap?

Avatar
#108 Robin Brownlee
September 03 2009, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Deep Oil: Just stop. Mirtle stating the obvious -- this helps Ottawa's cap issue -- means nothing. Of course it helps the cap issue. So what? You can post here 1,000 times, Jimmy, I'm not buying any of the kook logic you're selling.

Avatar
#109 Travis Dakin
September 03 2009, 10:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ogden Brother wrote:

At the same time, teams can’t be held hostage by players that refuse to give up. If he was no longer one of the 7 best dmen the Sens had, they had no obligation to him IMO.

A contract is a contract. Unless it's mutual, which in this case it appears to be, they are handcuffed to each other.

Avatar
#110 Travis Dakin
September 03 2009, 10:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: What's the press confrence about?

Avatar
#111 RossCreek
September 03 2009, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Alright. I said a few months back that someone must let me in on the story of DeepOil some day. I think that day is today. I'm getting that he's a conspiracy theorist. What else? Jimmy??

Avatar
#112 allan
September 03 2009, 11:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

mike comrie again you have got to be kidding guess darryl and bill are friends.

Avatar
#113 MrOiler
September 03 2009, 12:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In his day in Oiler threads, Jason was a beauty.

And to think that he was a "project" when he arrived - for a 2nd and a 4th rounder. Unbelievable. And that is why we chant 1967 at the Leafs.

Avatar
#114 Hold on to your wives… | Putting on the Foil
September 03 2009, 01:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

[...] Robin Brownlee on Oilers Nation: “Mike Comrie still isn’t commenting about his discussions with the Oilers about a return [...]

Avatar
#115 DeepOil
September 03 2009, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Where’s the money coming from that allows Jason to retire under the Senators terms? How come and why don’t these funds count against Ottawas cap?

Any contract signed before the age of 35 can be wiped off the books via retirement or LTIR, Flyers tried to pull a fast one with his extension prior to the one year allowance to renogiate.

Avatar
#116 cableguy
September 03 2009, 02:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

DeepOil wrote:

can be wiped off the books via retirement or LTIR,

false.

placing a player on LTIR doesnt "wipe" anything off the books.

teams can apply for relief in certain circumstances

Avatar
#117 DeepOil
September 03 2009, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

@ Deep Oil: Just stop. Mirtle stating the obvious — this helps Ottawa’s cap issue — means nothing. Of course it helps the cap issue. So what? You can post here 1,000 times, Jimmy, I’m not buying any of the kook logic you’re selling.

I know you never buy, last time we had lunch, I picked up the cheque at Earls, you have short arms, but seriously..... Pay It Forward works, as now you through a series of ideas via Deep Oil, you are writing at ON, no conspiracy here.

Instead of sending me private profanity laced emails, with no apology when it is proven by the ON MONITOR via email to you...that you were hoodwinked by a fake post, why not be open to the fact that the Sens were going to send Smith down to the minors and the POSSIBILITY of a closed door agreement exists - outside the cap - other writers are calling this strange and they are not labelled conspiracy theorists. Money was left on the table, and the NHLPA is all about MONEY.

This is focussed at Melnyk, not the good soldier Gator. I think I may have missed the target here, and for that I apologize.

Avatar
#118 DeepOil
September 03 2009, 03:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

cableguy wrote:

DeepOil wrote: can be wiped off the books via retirement or LTIR, false. placing a player on LTIR doesnt “wipe” anything off the books. teams can apply for relief in certain circumstances

See below - if Smith is done for the year, he salary is not counted - relief is offered.

hxxp://proicehockey.about.com/od/learnthegame/a/nhl_salary_cap.htm

Long-Term Injuries:

A player expected to miss at least 10 games and 24 days due to injury can be listed as a long-term injury (LTI). An LTI can be covered by replacement players, as long as the replacement salaries do not exceed the salary of the injured player. If the replacement salaries would push a team over the salary cap, the team is allowed cap relief, but only for the portion of the salary that exceeds the cap. When the injured player returns, the team must immediately comply with the normal terms of the salary cap.

Avatar
#119 DeepOil
September 03 2009, 03:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

jake wrote:

Chris wrote: @ Robin Brownlee: This Comrie thing scares me… I’ve had these vague, conspiricy-theory-like fears that Katz has been interfereing in the hockey operations side of things for quite some time: and a Comrie contract will validate many of these fears. Is it Katz who driving the almost maniacal pursuit of all these “big fish” since he took ownership? Was the huge Horcoff extension with the permission of, or at the behest of Katz? Did Katz instruct Lowe to offer Laraque a sizable contract? Who is really running the show? Is a Pharmacist pretending to be the GM of my beloved Oilers? I happen to be a pharmacist (not employed by a Rexall related pharmacy) and wth me pretending to be GM, Horcoff, Laraque et al do not get those deals…. Maybe I should be GM…hmmm

Katz is a non practising lawyer not a pharmacist.

He loves hockey, and has access to more money than Barrie and Khoules.

Avatar
#120 RossCreek
September 03 2009, 03:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

DeepOil wrote:

Flyers tried to pull a fast one with his extension prior to the one year allowance to renogiate.

Huh? Are we not talking about Jason Smith? Are you confusing Pronger somehow? Am I confused? No, I am confused.

Avatar
#121 DeepOil
September 03 2009, 03:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ RossCreek:

Sorry Mr. Creek, my typing was off base here.... Flyers tried to pull a fast one by giving Pronger $450 - $500K in the last year of his deal, all his salary will count if he retires early....

Avatar
#122 Jason Gregor
September 03 2009, 03:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin Brownlee wrote:

No, he doesn’t. Gregor doesn’t owe you crap when it comes to that video. If that ever sees the light of day, I’m breaking out the Greek Night at the Steambath epic starring Dick in Los Angeles and Gregor will find a donkey’s head in his bed.

Oh it will happen at some point...trust me...

Avatar
#123 mrzael
September 03 2009, 03:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Robin Brownlee: Classic.

Avatar
#124 mrzael
September 03 2009, 04:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sorry I missed including Brownlee's quote in reference to Lowetide, "I demanded he get the boot when it became obvious he’s a far better writer than I am." in my "Classic" comment.

Avatar
#125 cableguy
September 03 2009, 05:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

DeepOil wrote:

cableguy wrote: DeepOil wrote: can be wiped off the books via retirement or LTIR, false. placing a player on LTIR doesnt “wipe” anything off the books. teams can apply for relief in certain circumstances See below - if Smith is done for the year, he salary is not counted - relief is offered. hxxp://proicehockey.about.com/od/learnthegame/a/nhl_salary_cap.htm Long-Term Injuries: A player expected to miss at least 10 games and 24 days due to injury can be listed as a long-term injury (LTI). An LTI can be covered by replacement players, as long as the replacement salaries do not exceed the salary of the injured player. If the replacement salaries would push a team over the salary cap, the team is allowed cap relief, but only for the portion of the salary that exceeds the cap. When the injured player returns, the team must immediately comply with the normal terms of the salary cap.

you wrote "Any contract signed before the age of 35 can be wiped off the books via retirement or LTIR"

that statement is false.

yes, in smiths case, relief would probably apply.

but thanks for saving me the trouble of finding the link.

Avatar
#126 Ogden Brother
September 03 2009, 08:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Travis Dakin wrote:

Ogden Brother wrote: At the same time, teams can’t be held hostage by players that refuse to give up. If he was no longer one of the 7 best dmen the Sens had, they had no obligation to him IMO. A contract is a contract. Unless it’s mutual, which in this case it appears to be, they are handcuffed to each other.

Both parties realize you can be sent to the minors at any time.

Avatar
#127 Ogden Brother
September 03 2009, 08:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

DeepOil wrote:

Robin Brownlee wrote: @ Deep Oil: Just stop. Mirtle stating the obvious — this helps Ottawa’s cap issue — means nothing. Of course it helps the cap issue. So what? You can post here 1,000 times, Jimmy, I’m not buying any of the kook logic you’re selling. I know you never buy, last time we had lunch, I picked up the cheque at Earls, you have short arms, but seriously….. Pay It Forward works, as now you through a series of ideas via Deep Oil, you are writing at ON, no conspiracy here. Instead of sending me private profanity laced emails, with no apology when it is proven by the ON MONITOR via email to you…that you were hoodwinked by a fake post, why not be open to the fact that the Sens were going to send Smith down to the minors and the POSSIBILITY of a closed door agreement exists - outside the cap - other writers are calling this strange and they are not labelled conspiracy theorists. Money was left on the table, and the NHLPA is all about MONEY. This is focussed at Melnyk, not the good soldier Gator. I think I may have missed the target here, and for that I apologize.

I really don't get what you are whining about? It's irrelavant why he retired.

Comments are closed for this article.