Roster changes

Wanye
September 29 2009 11:19AM

ducks-in-a-row

While you have been waiting for lunch hour to arrive, Jason Gregor and Robin Brownlee have been hard at work down at RX1, gathering intel on the rebel forces.

And while you have been thinking about the delicious burritos and refreshing soft drinks soon to hit your lips, the Oilers have seemingly settled on line-up combinations that should take effect until 0:29 into the first period on Saturday night when they will be shuffled immediately.

Here is the lineup as of this morning:

Jacques — Horcoff — Hemsky O'Sullivan — Comrie — Stone Penner — Brule — Cogliano Moreau — Gagner — Stortini

The End of Schremp

The big news from Gregor this morning to the Nation via your ol' pal Wanye is that Reddox and Schremp have been placed on waivers. For those among us who have had a torrid love affair with #88 these past few years, you will be horrified to learn he is now a member of the New York Islanders.

Schremp was unable to deliver the goods in his first Training Camp under the new regime. Somewhere MacT is reading the news and laughing aloud. "Told you he wasn't NHL material," he is saying and stroking his fine mane of silver hair.

On behalf of Oilers fans we shall offer this morning prayer to the Gods of Hockey:

Dear Gods of Hockey, With your hockey hair and missing teeth, And your ability to "always give 110%" Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please don't let Rob Schremp to turn out to be a star in the NHL and make the Oilers look like idiots for letting him go.

Seriously.

Please.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 The Towel Boy
September 29 2009, 11:28AM

"Dear Gods of Hockey, With your hockey hair and missing teeth, And your ability to “always give 110%” Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please don’t let Rob Schremp to turn out to be a star in the NHL and make the Oilers look like idiots for letting him go."

No worries. His skating ability and foot speed will see to that.

#2 Jessica
September 29 2009, 11:28AM

Amen.

#3 sittingatmydesk
September 29 2009, 11:28AM

was he seriously picked up by NYI?

#4 Hunter
September 29 2009, 11:28AM

Good for Schremp that he gets another opportunity. Maybe it works out... but, maybe he's back on the wire in a couple of weeks.

#5 Ogden Brother Jr.
September 29 2009, 11:29AM

So Burle jumps Gagner.

I've seen reports reddox was waived, I didn't think he had to clear.

#6 Mother Pucker Hockey
September 29 2009, 11:29AM

Yeah I'm going to shit of #88 turns out to be a beauty on long island....

#7 RyanB
September 29 2009, 11:31AM

Schremp wasn't ever going to make this team, he was just to far down the depth chart. The Isles can give him top six minutes and powerplay time, he'll probably do okay.

Good news is there will be no more "Why don't the Oil call up Schremp?" post games phone calls. Bad news there could be plenty of "I always new Schremp was a star" phone calls.

#8 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:31AM

No one predicted that line up. Gagner in the doghouse eh. Funny how different coaches see things. Could YungSam be the GOAT this year. By mid-November, everyone will be in love with Patrick O'Sullivan in his STARing role as the best bang-for-buck on the team.

#9 Quicksilver ballet
September 29 2009, 11:32AM

Could Robbie be the next Dino Ciccerelli....not a great skater but hands that made up for it.

I'd just laugh if he meshed with Tavares and became a 35+goal/60 pt player within a couple years.

#10 ronaldo
September 29 2009, 11:34AM

"The End of Schremp" Amen.

#11 Eklund
September 29 2009, 11:34AM

I'm afraid you are mistaken my e5 sources told me schremp has opted to play in the NHL or Mexico hockey league

#12 Gunner
September 29 2009, 11:35AM

@ Quicksilver ballet: I don't think so. Slowest first line combo in the Eastern conference.

#13 Tha Legion
September 29 2009, 11:36AM

Busted the eklund comment was me

#14 Ducey
September 29 2009, 11:36AM

I expect the Oilers will have lots of chances to get Schremp back if they wanted to. He will likely be on waivers a few more times and likely will wind up in Europe in some low contact league. Maybe he will start the London Globetrotters and do shoot out tricks between periods.

No way he is a top 6 guy here, and with younger players coming along like MPS he never would be.

He should be able to help the Islanders in their quest to - finish last again.

The real question: what is Gagner doing on the 4th line?

#15 Tha Legion
September 29 2009, 11:38AM

Double busted mhl autocorrected to NHL

#16 surshot
September 29 2009, 11:39AM

Gags on the fourth line is a little disturbing for me. Has he had that bad of a pre season?

#17 ChamucksDeluxe
September 29 2009, 11:39AM

Eklund wrote:

I’m afraid you are mistaken my e5 sources told me schremp has opted to play in the NHL or Mexico hockey league

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#18 ChamucksDeluxe
September 29 2009, 11:40AM

Kinda cool how it the LOLTRAIN!!! *ahem, shoots off the page like that, brackets can't contain that sh!t.

#19 Matt Hanson
September 29 2009, 11:41AM

Reddox is supposedly on waivers as well, if this is true, will any teams pick him up?

#20 freeze
September 29 2009, 11:41AM

Ducey wrote:

The real question: what is Gagner doing on the 4th line?

Playing like shite I suspect. He hasn't done much to impress the new coaching staff.

#21 R Kenny
September 29 2009, 11:42AM

Looks like we're going with four lines that are half way between 2nd and 3rd lines. Not really much difference in total skill/grit between the four.

#22 freeze
September 29 2009, 11:42AM

Ducey wrote:

The real question: what is Gagner doing on the 4th line?

Playing like crap I suspect. He hasn’t done much to impress the new coaching staff.

#23 Steve from Yellowstone
September 29 2009, 11:42AM

The End of Schremp - Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island Thank you Long Island

#24 ChamucksDeluxe
September 29 2009, 11:42AM

Matt Hanson wrote:

If MacT got the coaching job in Phoenix or Dallas he would have surely picked up his bona fide 1st line forward.

#25 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:43AM

Dean Lombardi just said on HockeyCentral with Dean Millard that he wants to bring Wayne Gretzky back to the LA Kings organization in some capacity.

#26 Purple Anal Beads
September 29 2009, 11:44AM

Well does anyone think Reddox will get picked up?

#27 Ender the Dragon
September 29 2009, 11:45AM

Wanye Gretz wrote:

Dear Gods of Hockey, With your hockey hair and missing teeth, And your ability to “always give 110%” Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please don’t let Rob Schremp to turn out to be a star in the NHL and make the Oilers look like idiots for letting him go. Seriously. Please.

My money says the Gods of Hockey honor your request. Schremp is demoted on any other team; the fact that the worst team in hockey picked him up will not make him into the second coming of Mike Bossy, or even Alexei Yashin. I am guessing that the future mentions of Schremp's name in Edmonton will be infrequent at best.

#28 ChamucksDeluxe
September 29 2009, 11:45AM

In other news, Cody Hodgson is going back to Junior.

#29 Dan the Man
September 29 2009, 11:46AM

based on pre-season I would have liked to have seen Penner with Comrie and POS. Stone should be 4th line at best. It also appears Gags has his work cut out for him...not a Quinn favorite so far.

#30 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:47AM

@ Purple Anal Beads: I don't

#31 Petr's Jofa
September 29 2009, 11:48AM

So now that Schremps gone, is it time to bet behind Linus Omark? Sure he's small, but he has sick shootout moves so he's bound to be an can't miss NHLer. Right?

#32 Mike
September 29 2009, 11:49AM

I'm happy to see the new coaching staff sees Gagner for what he is. He can't rest on the 2 month performance of two years ago. To this point he's proven nothing and deserves to be where he is!

#33 Bill Rizer
September 29 2009, 11:49AM

Those lines make me cringe a little. Scrap that. They make me cringe a lot. Comparing JF Jacques/Horcofff/Hemsky vs any top unit in the league I'm hard pressed to find a line worse than that.

Oh well here's hoping they exceed my expectations. I have hope and feel we can't be any worse than last year, but I'm not sure if we're going to be any better either.

#34 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:50AM

@ Purple Anal Beads: From Willis' other blog... Rumour around Edmonton has it that the St. Louis Blues may be interested, although I haven't seen anything official to confirm that.

#35 Petr's Jofa
September 29 2009, 11:51AM

@ Mike:

What do you mean? Clearly Gagner has had more than just 2 good months in the NHL.... He seems to show up at the end of every season to give fans a glimmer of hope.

#36 Ender the Dragon
September 29 2009, 11:52AM

And seriously, what is with all the trashy handles people have decided to pick for themselves lately? Is every new poster on this site fourteen years old? Shock value does not equal credibility. In fact, if that's how you are choosing to represent yourself, I think it's obvious how little your opinion should mean to anyone of intelligence. I'm dissapointed that the moderation of comments doesn't seem to extend to the selection of identity names.

#37 Ogden Brother
September 29 2009, 11:53AM

Glad to see Schremp finally gone (both so we don't have to hear about him and so he gets a chance in the league)

Hopefully he turns into a 15 - 20 goal 40 - 50 point second line PP specialist.

#38 ChamucksDeluxe
September 29 2009, 11:53AM

Petr's Jofa wrote:

@ Mike: What do you mean? Clearly Gagner has had more than just 2 good months in the NHL…. He seems to show up at the end of every season to give fans a glimmer of hope.

Quinn's just preparing for it, let him suck on the fourth til' mid-Feb then put him on 1line with Hemmer and watch him score 3pts/g til we miss the playoffs!

IMSOEXCITED

#39 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:54AM

From Bob MacKenzie...

Not only has Michael Del Zotto made the NYR's opening day roster, he is running their power play. 12 minutes ago from mobile web

Canucks announce Cody Hodgson going back to Brampton 16 minutes ago from mobile web

Free agent Maxim Afinogenov has earned a spot on the Atlanta Thrashers, who are in the process of getting a contract done. 25 minutes ago from mobile web

#40 Dan the Man
September 29 2009, 11:56AM

From the Journal...

The Oilers also put winger Liam Reddox on 24-hour waivers with the purpose of sending him to the AHL's Springfield Falcons.

Robert Nilsson, who has been rumoured to be on waivers, was on the ice for the Oilers' Tuesday morning practice at Rexall Place

#41 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 11:57AM

@ Ender the Dragon: Ya I just now noticed who I was talking to. I feel so dirty. Ewwwwww.

#42 viss.99
September 29 2009, 11:58AM

ronaldo wrote:

“The End of Schremp” Amen.

I agree, too bad we wasted all these years on him.

#43 Milli
September 29 2009, 11:58AM

Man I can't believe that i picked Gagner to be Hero....I guess looking back, maybe that why Dkatz didn't name me the new head coach, and here I thought it was a personal grudge. But seriously, Quinn is a smart hockey guy, what isn't he seeing in Gags that mgmt thought they where?

#44 EddieEdmonton
September 29 2009, 12:00PM

Jacques Horcoff Hemsky Penner Comrie O'Sullivan Moreau Cogliano Gagner Stone Brule McIntyre that will be line up against Calgary i suspect those lines were just thrown out there for the sake of it i think there might be a little shuffling of the lines but for most part i think the first two lines are what quinn wants to go for most part stone is not good enough to be in the nhl right now IMO

#45 Petr's Jofa
September 29 2009, 12:00PM

RossCreek wrote:

Not nearly as dirty as I felt yesterday looking up 'snoodle' in the urban dictonary when the wife walked in and asked what I was up to.

#46 Mike
September 29 2009, 12:01PM

@ Petr's Jofa: Really? I must have blinked.

#47 EddieEdmonton
September 29 2009, 12:03PM

i dont know where all this gagner conversation is going he aint bad he a young hockey player in a new system again i didnt see nothing in preseason tho suspect he shit the bed and is in the dog house patience fellas lets show some optimism the first game didnt even start yet

#48 Ogden Brother Jr.
September 29 2009, 12:03PM

@ RossCreek: Thanks for the updates. Atlanta is sure trying to show Ilya that they want to win.

#49 Petr's Jofa
September 29 2009, 12:03PM

@ Mike:

In all fairness, it may have just been Hemsky wearing a #89 jersy at the end of last year. This theory would explain why Hemsky sucked down the stretch and Gagner started to finally find his game.

#50 RossCreek
September 29 2009, 12:04PM

EddieEdmonton wrote:

i suspect those lines were just thrown out there for the sake of it

Thats usually what they do, right?