Gut-check time for you...

Jason Gregor
January 19 2010 09:11AM

I think it's fair to say that the last 16 games have really tested the loyalty of many Oiler fans. One win in 16 games will do that to you; so don’t fret — you aren’t alone.

The final 26 games of 2007 were tough when the Oilers went 4-19-3, and they won their last game of the year to finish 25th and draft Sam Gagner 6th overall. In those 26 games, the Oilers were shut out seven times, scored one goal nine times and were outscored 85-37  the Oilers did win two shootouts so you could give them 39 (but it was only 37 goals in regulation).

Fast forward to now and I wonder if you feel the same way? That team was decimated by injuries and had Sebastien Bisaillon and Bryan Young playing defence for goodness sakes. Joffrey Lupul finished at -29, Shawn Horcoff and Matt Greene were -22 and Petr Sykora was -20.

Ryan Smyth led the team with 53 points despite only playing in 53 games before being traded. It was a dreadful final 43 days of the season, but here we are on Jan 19th, the drought is already 35 days old and looking like it will extend another 86 days until the season ends on April 11th.

Many of you said you could handle a season or two of re-building if it meant getting a franchise player or two. Do you still feel that way? This is a test of your endurance, mettle, loyalty and passion for your mighty Copper and Blue.

You thought 40 days and 40 nights was tough, hell you're five days away from kicking Josh Harnett’s ass and could destroy that by reaching 119 days by season’s end.

The fact is, Oiler fans, for most of you these next 86 days will be the toughest test of your fanhood. Even if you were around during the 92/93 season — the lowest point total in Oiler history — you can’t compare because the three previous years you saw your team win the Cup in 1990, and lose the conference championship in 1991 and 1992.

The 1995/96 season is the closest comparison to the despair you are witnessing right now. Back then it was also the fourth straight season of missing the playoffs. However the previous three years saw you draft Jason Arnott 7th overall in 1993, Jason Bonsignore 4th and Ryan Smyth 6th in 1994, Steve Kelly 7th in 1995 and you were once again in the hunt for a top-five pick, which turned out to be Boyd Devereaux, 6th overall in 1996.

At this point in 1996 you still didn’t know for sure that Kelly and Bonsignore would be busts, and Doug Weight was on his way to 100 points, Zdeno "No chin" Ciger and Arnott were on pace for 30 goals... Arnott got hurt, missed 18 games and finished with 28 goals while "No chin" potted 31. Even that season wasn’t this much of a test.

We are in hell right now

I wonder if Quinn will make a speech similar to this to get the boys through the rest of the season. While the rest of this movie was unrealistic, Al Pacino’s speech was spine-tingling.

You guys are the players. You won’t make it through the next 86 days alone. You’ll need Nation readers to get you thought it. You’ll need the humour, the stupidity, the asinine trade requests, the reasonable replies and the level-headed responses.

You’ll need to know that there are many feeling the same pain while watching your team get pummeled again. Now is not the time to be a quitter or a bandwagon jumper. Hell, now is the time to be more vocal than ever. It would be easy to slip into the shadows of real life, start helping around the house or spending more quality time with the missus, or taking that cooking class you always wanted to or reading a self-help book. But what good will that do you? Nothing I tell you, NOTHING.

Because the minute June 1st rolls around you will be playing catch-up, trying to immerse yourself in the knowledge about the upcoming draft on June 25th. Oh sure, you’ll go to a house party and proclaim you watched the horror of the final 86 days, but you’ll do it with a guilty conscience because deep down you’ll know you couldn’t stomach the horror of those days. You didn’t dig deep down and play through the pain, like you expect the Oilers to do themselves.

If you walk away now you’ll be giving up on the one thing that brings you true joy, but also a pain that only compares to when your first girlfriend dumped you for the guy with a cooler hockey jacket. (Don’t pretend it didn’t hurt because we’ve all been there... in grade seven or eight, or last year for my buddy, but we’ve all been there).

Giving up now and turning off the TV, or not listening to sports shows or not reading the Nation would be easy, but like in life, doing the easy thing is sometimes the wrong thing. It will be hard to drag yourself to the game, or watch it at home without channel surfing, and you might cut down your visits to this lovely site that Wanye built from two batteries, some hair from his ex, and a mixture of a 1993 BL and a half a glass of White Zinfindel.

But why?

Because the team sucks?

Because you know that JDD and DD are overwhelmed at this point and will give up a questionable goal or two?

Because the veterans have decided that taking penalties is the only way they’ll get on the score sheet?

Because Pat Quinn’s pressers aren’t as emotionally charged as they were two months ago?

Because the PPVs are more painful than the games?

Because you truly don’t know who will be better in the long run for this team: Patrick O’Sullivan, Robert Nilsson or Andrew Cogliano?

Those are just excuses; they aren’t real reasons to abandon your love of hockey.

While you ponder what to do instead of watching the Oilers remember that you wouldn’t be the fan you are today without those inconsistent, infuriating bastards...

And things could always be worse. Watch one of the most inspirational sports-related speeches of all time right here:

"If you laugh, you think and you cry that is a full day, that is a heck of a day," Jimmy Valvano.

Keep your dream alive that the Oilers will one day return as a powerhouse in the NHL and that they will do so in your lifetime.

That sums up exactly what it is like to be an Oiler fan right now, I’d bet. You laugh when your buddy tells you they will win. You think hard about which players Steve Tambellini should keep for next season, and then you cry when you watch another trouncing like last night in Colorado.

But wow what an emotional day you will have by maintaining your loyalty to the Nation, the Oilers and hockey talk in general.

And the silver lining is that while the Oilers lost last night, the Leafs, Blue Jackets and Flames all lost. The Oilers have a six point bulge on the Leafs for 29th, and a ten point lead on the Blue Jackets, while the Flames got crushed 9-1 in San Jose and are two points from being out of the playoffs.

And don’t fret if you thought about packing in the season, there are lots of people who have much more stupid ideas than that every day. Check it out and feel good about your decision to get back in the shallow end of the pool with the rest of the true fans.

You’ll feel better about it on June 25th... Unless of course the Oilers go on a winning streak and finish out of the top three.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#151 Hunter5
January 19 2010, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Do you really believe that teams are inquiring about Moreau? Have you been to the games or watched anything lately... give you head a shake. He's a fourth liner on a 29th place team making 2.0 million, he's slow, makes bad decisions cant score or defend. If it was true and it's not, Tambellini should be gone for not making the trade.

Avatar
#152 HottScarrison
January 19 2010, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Tencer and Gregor seem to be having a good time watching the bag skate.

What type of bag? paper or plastic? Is it goin to play in next game, who sits? Prob be an improvement. Put it in net. Anything is better than nothing. Aww who am i kidding....Tambo just signed it to a 10yr contract with a NTC for 12 yrs.

Avatar
#153 Senator Theo
January 19 2010, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oilerryan26 wrote:

Gregor how was the rest of Any Given Sunday unrealistic except for the speech??? That is by far the best football movie ever made and going by the stories i've heard about the Cowboys of the 90s, it seems pretty realistic.

That was a great recent football movie, but I would have Brian's Song as the best football movie ever made.

Avatar
#154 bingofuel
January 19 2010, 01:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Got this report from Gregor over the phone:

"The Oilers are being put through the paces at probably the worst bag-skate of the year.

"They spent a lot of time skating around each circle on the ice surface (that's five for those keeping track), three times one way, then three times the other way.

"Then, starting from one corner of the ice, they'd skate to the blue line, stop, go back, skate to the red line... Just a brutal bag skate.

"It all ended with 20 push-ups at centre ice."

Avatar
#155 JB
January 19 2010, 01:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Bucknuck

No argument about money misspent with the cap space last summer. Just saying that moving forward, creating cap space and using it wisely or not at all would be a nice way to go. I fear that we'll instead see a $100 million offer to Kovalchuk or some such nonsense, because a selfish, overpaid one dimensional player with one playoff appearnce in his career is exactly what we're missing.

The last few years shows that when the Oil have cap space they try to spend it. The best things that have happened with that cap space have been free agents rejecting Oiler offers. Or do we think Nylander or Hossa could turn this thing around. If Khabibulin had turned down that contract offer it would have been awesome.

Avatar
#156 Offthebandwagon
January 19 2010, 01:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

Tambellini had nine million in cap space to start the season, and he signed Grebs, Strudwick, Comrie, and Khabibulin.

Nine million is a fair amount of cap space; this argument about Lowe's "constraining" contracts doesn't hold water in my books.

Its a combination. Sure, nine million is a bit of space, but some teams have an ownership mandate of staying much more beneath the cap. Lowe painted this team into a corner signing third liners at second line figures or by picking up their contracts (see Moreau, O'Sullivan, Pisani). Tambellini didn't help with the Khabibulin and Comrie deals. Seriously, the Comrie signing was stupid; it was a feel-good prodigal son story, but, wow, like this team needed another small, unreliable centreman.

Avatar
#157 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hunter5 wrote:

Do you really believe that teams are inquiring about Moreau? Have you been to the games or watched anything lately... give you head a shake. He's a fourth liner on a 29th place team making 2.0 million, he's slow, makes bad decisions cant score or defend. If it was true and it's not, Tambellini should be gone for not making the trade.

Yes, I take Brownlee and Gregor at face value. Both have said that teams have inquired about Moreau (in fact Gregor even repeats it in this thread). I guess they could be lying (or being lied too) but I doubt it.

Avatar
#158 swany
January 19 2010, 01:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Petr's Jofa wrote:

No,

I have written a few time in this blog that I am open to trading anyone if it makes the team better. To answer your question, yes I would keep both Souray and Visnosky rather than give them away for nothing but cap space. Depending on who is coming back, if the trade fills a need and makes sence, I would trade either of them in a heart beat.

The problem with that is will we be ready to win next year or the year after no so why keep guys that will be old and past there prime when we will be ready to win, get what you can for them NOW because another year is another year OLDER and less trade value, we need picks and prospects, maybe you could get a 3rd line face off guy plus but it's time to bite the bullet and move guys that don't help in the future.

Avatar
#159 swany
January 19 2010, 01:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
bingofuel wrote:

Got this report from Gregor over the phone:

"The Oilers are being put through the paces at probably the worst bag-skate of the year.

"They spent a lot of time skating around each circle on the ice surface (that's five for those keeping track), three times one way, then three times the other way.

"Then, starting from one corner of the ice, they'd skate to the blue line, stop, go back, skate to the red line... Just a brutal bag skate.

"It all ended with 20 push-ups at centre ice."

That's my peewee practise just not as many times around, that's to funny back to peewee basics. Learn to skate and do your crossovers boys

Avatar
#160 Chris.
January 19 2010, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This team needs someone at the helm who can wheel and deal.

I have been very critical of Kevin Lowe since Pronger left. I think he over bought into the idea of the "New NHL" and as a result assembled a roster that seriously lacked enough size, heart, and the necessary grit to truly compete over an 82 game schedule and into the playoffs... That said, as much as I disagreed with Lowe's vision; I never questioned his ability to manoever in the Hockey World. Lowe quickly targeted and aquired numerous assets assembling a roster that reflected his vision for success...

It's possible that Tambellini has a blue print in mind also. Tambellini's vision for the team may be superior to Lowe's... but does Mr Dithers have the ability to execute his vision? Tambellini looks paralyzed to me.

Avatar
#161 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@swany

07-08. Gagner, Cogliano, nilsson, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Brodziak, Stortini

All rookies getting their first major NHL action, although Storts played 29 the year before. Add to it Greene, Pitkanen, Penner who didn't have that much NHL experience yet. Plus all the callups Pouilot, Jacques, Reddox, Thoreson, Roy and a couple others.

I think it's safe to say that year had more rookies and young talent then what we will have next year. Hall being the only real difference. I really don't see there being much of a difference next year compared to that year. Failed miserably then and for now 2 years after and we are no closer to anything.

Avatar
#162 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
swany wrote:

The problem with that is will we be ready to win next year or the year after no so why keep guys that will be old and past there prime when we will be ready to win, get what you can for them NOW because another year is another year OLDER and less trade value, we need picks and prospects, maybe you could get a 3rd line face off guy plus but it's time to bite the bullet and move guys that don't help in the future.

That's different then trading for cap space though.

Trade Souray for a young 3rd line winger: Yes

Trade Souray for cap space: No

Avatar
#163 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chris. wrote:

This team needs someone at the helm who can wheel and deal.

I have been very critical of Kevin Lowe since Pronger left. I think he over bought into the idea of the "New NHL" and as a result assembled a roster that seriously lacked enough size, heart, and the necessary grit to truly compete over an 82 game schedule and into the playoffs... That said, as much as I disagreed with Lowe's vision; I never questioned his ability to manoever in the Hockey World. Lowe quickly targeted and aquired numerous assets assembling a roster that reflected his vision for success...

It's possible that Tambellini has a blue print in mind also. Tambellini's vision for the team may be superior to Lowe's... but does Mr Dithers have the ability to execute his vision? Tambellini looks paralyzed to me.

X2

Avatar
#164 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Yes, I take Brownlee and Gregor at face value. Both have said that teams have inquired about Moreau (in fact Gregor even repeats it in this thread). I guess they could be lying (or being lied too) but I doubt it.

x2. Not sure why people would come here if they didn't believe what these guys right. Gregor has one screw-up on his resume and even that I can see how it happened. Why would he just all of sudden decide to start making rumors. Never been his style so until he proves me wrong I will continue to read his stuff and trust that it is the truth.

Avatar
#165 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
JB wrote:

Only if you take into consideration GMs constantly bitching about how hard it is to make trades and roster moves because of the cap. It stands to reason if you've space under the cap you have more flexibility to make moves.

I suspect we won't find any GMs being terribly specific about moves they couldn't make because of their cap situation. The last time a trade went public before it was finalized it didn't go terribly well for the participants (see Heatley, Dany).

in theory i would agree.

but, what is better, having cap space that goes ununsed, or filling the roster?

it is all fine and dandy to have a chunk of cap space hanging around just in case, but in all the years under this CBA, how many big $$$$ players have been dealt during the season?

Avatar
#166 Petr's Jofa
January 19 2010, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@swany

I'm not opposed to moving players to make room for new blood. However, it's who we move and why.

Dumping vets like Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Pisani to make room for Eberle, MPS & 2010 pick does not make this team better. However, moving some of Cogliano, Nilson, POS, Ganger*, ect to make room might.

* I wouldn't trade Ganger, but he falls into the small player mold.

Avatar
#167 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

in theory i would agree.

but, what is better, having cap space that goes ununsed, or filling the roster?

it is all fine and dandy to have a chunk of cap space hanging around just in case, but in all the years under this CBA, how many big $$$$ players have been dealt during the season?

I like to have around 1-2mil kicking around so that injuries don't become and issue and it gives you flexibility to make trades throughout the year if ever needed. It also allows you a waiver pickup if there is something you like.

Avatar
#168 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Petr's Jofa wrote:

I'm not opposed to moving players to make room for new blood. However, it's who we move and why.

Dumping vets like Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Pisani to make room for Eberle, MPS & 2010 pick does not make this team better. However, moving some of Cogliano, Nilson, POS, Ganger*, ect to make room might.

* I wouldn't trade Ganger, but he falls into the small player mold.

You may not want to trade Gagner, but he could be the piece that actually gets you something in return.

Not that I would actively be shopping him.

Avatar
#169 swany
January 19 2010, 01:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

07-08. Gagner, Cogliano, nilsson, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Brodziak, Stortini

All rookies getting their first major NHL action, although Storts played 29 the year before. Add to it Greene, Pitkanen, Penner who didn't have that much NHL experience yet. Plus all the callups Pouilot, Jacques, Reddox, Thoreson, Roy and a couple others.

I think it's safe to say that year had more rookies and young talent then what we will have next year. Hall being the only real difference. I really don't see there being much of a difference next year compared to that year. Failed miserably then and for now 2 years after and we are no closer to anything.

Isn't that the same team that went 14-6 down the stretch

Avatar
#170 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I like to have around 1-2mil kicking around so that injuries don't become and issue and it gives you flexibility to make trades throughout the year if ever needed. It also allows you a waiver pickup if there is something you like.

i agree 110%.

Avatar
#171 Archaeologuy
January 19 2010, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

I have since softened on calling him incompetent as a coach. I have admitted as much on here a while ago. He's not incompetent, but he's still not particularly good.

Hopefully I can assume that you will finally let go of this MacT business as it has no bearing on the present.

Avatar
#172 Petr's Jofa
January 19 2010, 01:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Exactly, I would be listening to every offer. No one on this team and no prospects are untouchable.

Avatar
#173 Hunter5
January 19 2010, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Like I mention earlier, don't be surprised if it's waivers for Moreau. He makes to much money, majority of 4th line veteran players do not make that kind of cash. Not to mention what I said earlier, HIS PLAY IS TERRIBLE. Quinn is starting to finger Moreau publicly for his poor play. This is all headed towards waivers, trust me. No one wants him and the only other alternative would be to bring him back next year and do you really think that is going to happen? Keep in mind the Oilers are in a real spot with contracts. They have to shed contracts and personal that wont buy into a system or can't get the job done, especially when it's your captain.

Avatar
#174 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
swany wrote:

Isn't that the same team that went 14-6 down the stretch

Maybe not sure, but regardless where has that 14-6 stretch gotten us? Most of those guys are players that the fans have deemed useless.

I'm just pointing out that we have seen this same song and dance before and that maybe we use the past to our good. It didn't work last time with most young players. Maybe instead of going with all rookies, we get some cheap depth players to help out.

Avatar
#175 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

I have since softened on calling him incompetent as a coach. I have admitted as much on here a while ago. He's not incompetent, but he's still not particularly good.

Hopefully I can assume that you will finally let go of this MacT business as it has no bearing on the present.

My point really didn't have anything to do with MacT. MacT was simply my proof that your ability to evaluate coaching is brutally flawed. In other words your opinion on Bucky should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Avatar
#176 Chris.
January 19 2010, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

~Jager will save us.~

Avatar
#177 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hunter5 wrote:

Like I mention earlier, don't be surprised if it's waivers for Moreau. He makes to much money, majority of 4th line veteran players do not make that kind of cash. Not to mention what I said earlier, HIS PLAY IS TERRIBLE. Quinn is starting to finger Moreau publicly for his poor play. This is all headed towards waivers, trust me. No one wants him and the only other alternative would be to bring him back next year and do you really think that is going to happen? Keep in mind the Oilers are in a real spot with contracts. They have to shed contracts and personal that wont buy into a system or can't get the job done, especially when it's your captain.

i cant honestly see the oilers waiving the captain of the team mid season, no matter how brutal he has been..

Avatar
#178 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chris. wrote:

~Jager will save us.~

I see he is growing a mullet again, at least the bear could have fun with him.

Avatar
#179 Crash
January 19 2010, 01:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Slot who? And did you forget the build up that Cogs, Nilsson, Gagner, Smid, Pouilot and others had going into that year?

Worked for Colorado because they had a solid core, there biggest issue was goaltending and injuries last year. This year they got Anderson and haven't had injuries?

I apologize Jr. I thought I was responding to OOB....I get you guys mixed up...in any event...I don't recall there being a huge build up on Cogs, Nilsson, Gagner, Smid and Pouliot off the get go. I do know there was some excitement after the run those 3 guys (Cogs, Gagner and Nilsson) went on at the end of that one season. But Cogs was a late 1st rounder that hadn't done anything special coming into pro, Nilsson came with baggage from NYI, Pouliot another late 1st rounder that also hadn't really done anything special coming into pro, Smid was touted as a defensive d-man from the get go. So I don't think there was that much build up.

Unlike this next crop of players and before OOB and Chris come on saying once again that people are expecting a teenager to come in and be the next hockey Jesus all I'm saying to you is, isn't it possible that the next crop of prospects (Eberle, MPS and Hall or Seguin) could make this team better off the get go? Isn't it?

Colorado added Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Stewart, Yip, etc. and I believe are the youngest team in the NHL this year. So why can't that happen here? I'm not saying it's a slam dunk like Chris will claim I'm saying, I'm just saying it is a possibility that these guys can come in and don't have to play some insignificant role. They can compliment, Hemsky, Penner, Vishnovsky, Horcoff, Brule, Gagner, Khabibulin...That's as solid a core as Colorado had to start this season isn't it?

Avatar
#180 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LOL. Via Tencer twitter

Renney says the next worst bag skate to this that he's ever run was the Olympic team in 1994 after they tied the French

Avatar
#181 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

Colorado added Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Stewart, Yip, etc. and I believe are the youngest team in the NHL this year.

colorado is the 4th youngest team in the league at 26.661 years of age

the oilers are 9th youngest, at 27.250 years...

Avatar
#182 Crash
January 19 2010, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Other then this years pick, you're simply guessing that the current crop of rookies are better then the crop from 2/3 years ago.

I wasn't guessing that they are better, I was saying that couldn't it be a possibility? I mean the next crop are coming in with more accomplishments than the other bunch with maybe the exception of Gagner.

Eberle yes was a 22 overall but has dominated Jr. and at the world Jr's for 2 yrs straight, none of the other rookies can claim that other than maybe Gagner with the MVP during the Russia series plus a good final yr in Jr., MPS is playing with men and doing well plus had a great world Jr. and Hall/Seguin would be a top 2 pick (ie: Stamkos, Tavares, Duchene, etc)

Avatar
#183 Archaeologuy
January 19 2010, 01:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Your point was that my evaluation of coaching was flawed because I thought MacT wasnt a good coach?

Do you mind linking those two things together? Was I proven wrong sometime this year?

Avatar
#184 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

My main issue is that Eberle, MPS and Hall aren't players that this team exactly needs. Granted if they all come in and are exceptional talents then we probably will be.

Adding them still doesn't adress the lack of defense throughout this lineup, the lack of grit, the lack of leadership and so forth.

Also I checked and COL is 4th youngest behind LA,CHI and CBJ

Avatar
#185 Zig
January 19 2010, 01:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jason Gregor wrote:

Why I even bother to respond to less-than-intelligent posts like yours I have no idea...but...

This has nothing to do with my show. I actually talk all sports not just hockey.

Are you a season ticket holder.?If not, then zip it and stop asking for stupid things like a rebate. You buy a ticket to a movie and it sucks, do you get a rebate? No.

You buy a pair of jeans and for two months they are great, and then they start to fade in your washer...do you get rebate. No.

If you don't want to buy the tickets, don't. It is your choice. I buy mine, with the KNOWLEDGE that not every game will be exciting. That is the risk. Deal with it.

So Katz isn't a talkative owner. So what. Name a owner in the NHL who has come out and apologized in the last ten years. I don't recall many.

Try to read the article and actually understand it rather than whine and complain that it is a cash grab. Is everything a cash grab for you? Move on.

If you have a direct beef then state it, and I'll address it, otherwise go join a "complainers are us" group and feel better about yourself.

Season ticket holder of almost 10 years. We don't all get in with a press badge, Jason.

I wish I COULD return the tickets for the rest of the season because it isn't worth $145 / ticket / game. There's alot else I would rather be doing with that.

I'm not saying your article is a cash grab (not entirely anyway...although if it were, I couldn't blame you...) What I'm saying is: to expect fans to stay committed to a product that is hopeless is just sad. If a movie sucks, I'm not gonna keep watching it 81 more times for the rest of the year.

2cents.

Avatar
#186 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zig wrote:

Season ticket holder of almost 10 years. We don't all get in with a press badge, Jason.

I wish I COULD return the tickets for the rest of the season because it isn't worth $145 / ticket / game. There's alot else I would rather be doing with that.

I'm not saying your article is a cash grab (not entirely anyway...although if it were, I couldn't blame you...) What I'm saying is: to expect fans to stay committed to a product that is hopeless is just sad. If a movie sucks, I'm not gonna keep watching it 81 more times for the rest of the year.

2cents.

hasnt gregor said many times he owns season tickets for the oilers?

Avatar
#187 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Also I checked and COL is 4th youngest behind LA,CHI and CBJ

~is there an echo in here?~

Avatar
#188 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I apologize Jr. I thought I was responding to OOB....I get you guys mixed up...in any event...I don't recall there being a huge build up on Cogs, Nilsson, Gagner, Smid and Pouliot off the get go. I do know there was some excitement after the run those 3 guys (Cogs, Gagner and Nilsson) went on at the end of that one season. But Cogs was a late 1st rounder that hadn't done anything special coming into pro, Nilsson came with baggage from NYI, Pouliot another late 1st rounder that also hadn't really done anything special coming into pro, Smid was touted as a defensive d-man from the get go. So I don't think there was that much build up.

Unlike this next crop of players and before OOB and Chris come on saying once again that people are expecting a teenager to come in and be the next hockey Jesus all I'm saying to you is, isn't it possible that the next crop of prospects (Eberle, MPS and Hall or Seguin) could make this team better off the get go? Isn't it?

Colorado added Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Stewart, Yip, etc. and I believe are the youngest team in the NHL this year. So why can't that happen here? I'm not saying it's a slam dunk like Chris will claim I'm saying, I'm just saying it is a possibility that these guys can come in and don't have to play some insignificant role. They can compliment, Hemsky, Penner, Vishnovsky, Horcoff, Brule, Gagner, Khabibulin...That's as solid a core as Colorado had to start this season isn't it?

Their was huge hype with Gagner, he dominated the super series similar to Eberle dominating the World Jrs. I remembe Cogs have a decent world jrs too. Smid was hyped pretty big as well (taken 9th overall a couple years ago). The other rooks like Gilbert/Brodziak ect are the same as the current 2nd tier of young guys.

This years 1st should probably slot ahead of anything else we have or have ever had, but the rest of the current crop of rookies is really no more special then that from 2 years ago.

Avatar
#189 Horcsky
January 19 2010, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yeah, I'm prety upset about the Oilers this season. But you know what makes me feel better about them?

Three Words: New Jersey Nets

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Avatar
#190 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:
Also I checked and COL is 4th youngest behind LA,CHI and CBJ

~is there an echo in here?~

I wasn't going to go back and edit mine. There was some different info so I left it.

Avatar
#191 Crash
January 19 2010, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:
Colorado added Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Stewart, Yip, etc. and I believe are the youngest team in the NHL this year.

colorado is the 4th youngest team in the league at 26.661 years of age

the oilers are 9th youngest, at 27.250 years...

I thought I had heard last night on the radio that Colorado was the youngest so thanks to you and Ogden Jr. for the correction...

Avatar
#192 HottScarrison
January 19 2010, 01:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Zig

And payin top dollar for those 81 games(movies) too. plus parking and concessions as well.

Avatar
#193 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Horcsky

Flames losing 9-1 to a team that we loss 4-2 against put a smile on my face.

Avatar
#194 stuubs
January 19 2010, 01:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Question is, how would this 2010 Oiler team fair up against the French team.

I'd say we would have a age advantage, as the French team would be 16 years past their prime. However it would be a nail biter...

Avatar
#195 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 19 2010, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I thought I had heard last night on the radio that Colorado was the youngest so thanks to you and Ogden Jr. for the correction...

Not sure someone is going to bust your balls over 3 spots, although I have seen stupider stuff happen.

Avatar
#196 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I wasn't going to go back and edit mine. There was some different info so I left it.

i will let it slide this time. you can make it up to me later

Avatar
#197 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 19 2010, 01:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Your point was that my evaluation of coaching was flawed because I thought MacT wasnt a good coach?

Do you mind linking those two things together? Was I proven wrong sometime this year?

You claimed many times that he was incompetent, that is obviously based on your evaluation of his coaching.

Clearly you were wrong. = you weren't able to evaluate him properly so theirs no reason we should believe you have evaluated Bucky properly.

Avatar
#198 Jmask5
January 19 2010, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Its hard to compare the old crop of young guys to the upcoming one but I can tell you that MPS is a bigger version of Cogs with way better hands.

Imagine a team with Hall, Cogs, MPS, and Hemsky. I don't think you'd find a faster top 4 set of wingers in the History of the NHL.

Avatar
#199 Archaeologuy
January 19 2010, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

How was I wrong? Please go on.

Avatar
#200 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 19 2010, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I thought I had heard last night on the radio that Colorado was the youngest so thanks to you and Ogden Jr. for the correction...

depends how they crunch the numbers i guess. im pretty sure the average age list i referenced includes injured roster players as well.

taking off hejduk and foote, for example, drops the average age of the avs enough that they would be the youngest team in the league

Comments are closed for this article.