GDB XLII: Oil meets water

bingofuel
January 02 2010 06:45PM

I just got back from being out in the country... Breathing in the country air, eating country foods, rasslin' country dogs, and watching the World Juniors: fast-paced and inspiring hockey.

It's a new year, and this bout of relaxation was much-needed. But I'm still confused as to what I should be cheering for here in the OilersNation: wins or losses? Should the team tank the season, secure in the knowledge that things cannot possibly get better? Or can things *actually* improve and bring the Oilers within striking distance of a playoff spot. And the most important question of all: will a sequel to Striking Distance ever be made?

No more streaks

Or, rather, no more losing streaks. When the Oil beat the Leafs on Wednesday, I thought we might be on the verge of something fabulous for 2010. Then, on New Year's Eve, they blew it against the Flames... Then they went and blew a bunch of dough at Osteria — hilariously the favourite restaurant of my parents who still cheer for the Oilers. I'm not sure what really happened, but it doesn't sit right with me. You're rich — pay your extravagant bill!

And win hockey games!

I dont' have much to say, because I feel out of the loop, but I'd like to see discussion on the following in the GDB:

1. Tipping in general
  2. The Dive for Five
  3. Steven Segal's prowess in his new "cop" profession

The Oilers are going to drown the Sharks. 2-1 in OT.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#51 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:13PM

@Sandra

Yes I do actually, and I know the Metis community, as I grew up right next to one and had many Metis friends growing up. There is no way in hell any of them would claim the name Desjarlais is the same as Deslauriers. Anyone who is saying otherwise just plain old doesn't know that kid's name, or doesn't know how to pronounce it properly.

#52 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:14PM
David S wrote:

BTW. Deslauriers is a French name that is pronounced Deslauriers.

Exactly, and I bet if you asked JDD he'd tell you the frigging same. Translation my ass.

#53 17
January 02 2010, 10:15PM

@Rigger

No worries, I'm just saying that it seems like - for whatever reason - people within the Metis community see Deslauriers and pronounce it as Desjalais for whatever reason, that's why Sandra always types it that way I guess.

#54 David S
January 02 2010, 10:16PM

Holy crap Staios can't hit the back side of a barn.

#55 David S
January 02 2010, 10:18PM

I'm liking Cogliano's game. Wish he could pop a few for his confidence.

Gilbert on the other hand should be nicknamed *facepalm*.

#56 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:19PM

@17

Mispronounciation I guess, but typing it that way on purpose is just bizarre. Not the kid's name. It's like when people write "Sam Gagne" instead of his real name. Frigging bugs me. Been on the team long enough for people to know how to type his damn name.

#57 Quinn the Eskimo
January 02 2010, 10:19PM

And, after reading the original Bingofuel post one more time, I might as well go for the hat trick (posting on all three topics)

I have worked closely with Steven Segal(believe me when I say this is not bragging but confessing) and he is a dick of the first water. 'Nuff said.

#58 Shaun Doe
January 02 2010, 10:19PM
David S wrote:

Holy crap Staios can't hit the back side of a barn.

What do you think his broadside shooting percentage is?

#59 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:20PM

@David S

I would love for Cogs to pot one. Last time he did you could just see the relief on his face. Poor kid!

#60 17
January 02 2010, 10:21PM

Cogs has been playing very well as of late, I find it kind of odd that he's still stuck on a line with Moreau and Stortini for the most part.

#61 David S
January 02 2010, 10:23PM
Rigger wrote:

Just look who he's being forced to play with. Put him on a line with decent NHL'ers (verus a 30% Horcoff and Patty O'useless) and watch him go. We're going to end up trading him away and I'll bet he'll be our next Glencross.

#62 6 ring circus
January 02 2010, 10:24PM

They just said on CBC that this Oilers team is the worst team in 30 Years as per Jim Matheson from the journal.What gave that away, the fact that we are 2nd last place in the league? or just playing brutal with no end in sight?

#63 David S
January 02 2010, 10:26PM

It'd sure be nice if Penner hadn't reverted back to his MacT version too.

#64 David S
January 02 2010, 10:32PM
6 ring circus wrote:

What's stunning is that the team isn't doing anything about it. NOTHING!

Teams go south for any number of reasons, but they always try stuff to turn it around. It doesn't seem like we're prepared to do anything. This team has seriously got to be the biggest WTF I've ever seen.

Just looking at JDD as our #1 makes me sick. With all due respect to Robin Brownlee, he doesn't look to me like a NHL starter. Now I guess I'd take Robin's point of view over mine because he's obviously got the eye and the experience, but sheesh!

#65 Gerald R. Ford
January 02 2010, 10:37PM

Re:

Tipping. I'm sort of with Mr. Pink on this one. Philosophically, if not practically. Mr. Pink didn't believe in the practice, and didn't do it (with the one notable exception, under extreme duress). I wish it wasn't necessary, but I do it, regardless. In a perfect world, restaurant owners would pay their serving staff a decent wage, directly, instead of relying on the customer to arbitrarily pad their meagre income.

DFF. It seems less like a 'dive' now, and more like they've fallen, and can't get up.

Seagal. This guy's review of his energy drink http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1725843 says it all for me. "Last time I checked, 'Asian' wasn't a flavor." hehehe

#66 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:38PM

@David S

I know, poor kid. What a rip off for him. I have no idea why he's got to be saddled with those linemates. Watching our captain makes me mad. I'd rather watch Storts, and that's not sayin a whole bunch, although I do like Storts but he isn't the most skilled guy.

#67 Smokin' Ray
January 02 2010, 10:40PM

The Oilers only score one goal again. It's a sad pattern starting to develop.

#68 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:42PM

Well, another game and another loss. What gets me is the old "we don't know what's wrong, but we're working on it with hard work" shtick. Uh huh, thanks for the insight there Steady Steve.

#69 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:43PM

@David S

Those first two goals were brutes, he should have had those. You've got to make those kinds of saves.

#70 Quinn the Eskimo
January 02 2010, 10:46PM

@Gerald R. Ford

"In a perfect world, restaurant owners would pay their serving staff a decent wage, directly, instead of relying on the customer to arbitrarily pad their meagre income."

Amen to that.

But fast food is crap food, with profit margins not shared with low value staff. If someone tries hard to get your sandwich right when you aren't, shall we say, compos mentis, or even if you're sober and they still smile while doing one of the worst jobs in Canada, then that person should score a loonie. How the f*ck hard is that?

Be nice to the least of us.

#71 6 ring circus
January 02 2010, 10:48PM

@David S

What's stunning is that the team isn't doing anything about it. NOTHING!

Lets just hope when the time comes to make changes,Tamballini does not do something stupid,based on what he has done so far, we will have to wait till next summer before he decides what changes he will need to make to make this team better,F**ken Pathetic!

#72 jake
January 02 2010, 10:53PM

PJ Stock just brought the ugly weather element when talking about players, if choosing mediocre teams, they would likely not choose Edmonton....oh yeah he said no offense to people out there. uggh

#73 6 ring circus
January 02 2010, 10:54PM

The person I feel sorry for is Pat Quinn,he needs to explain to everyone why the team sh*t the bed after every loss, how much longer before he loses it?

#74 jake
January 02 2010, 10:54PM

Wow, Quinn sounds like he was just at his best friend's funeral.

#75 Robin Brownlee
January 02 2010, 10:55PM
David S wrote:

What's stunning is that the team isn't doing anything about it. NOTHING!

Deslauriers wasn't nearly good enough tonight. Two of the goals were soft and he looked shaky even when he did stop the puck.

What gets me about Deslauriers situation is the Oilers mishandling of him has run from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Last season, he's left on the bench or the press box to rot, going weeks and sometimes months between starts, and there's no way he can stay sharp. Now, they've got Deslauriers playing 19 out of the last 20 games while Dubnyk sits so long he has to be shipped to the minors twice just to get games. You couldn't screw the goaltending situation up worse if you tried.

#76 Gerald R. Ford
January 02 2010, 11:00PM

@jake

To quote Jim Rome:

"If someone begins a sentence with 'No offense intended...' you can pretty much bet there's some offense intended."

I hope someone takes Quinn's belt, tie, and razor blades away from him before he goes to bed tonight. That poor old Irishman. He had no idea what he was getting himself into.

#77 jake
January 02 2010, 11:01PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Yes, and what is Dubnyk's most recent experience in the NHL? A big loss. He did not get a chance to possibly erase that from his mind with a good game. I wonder if Quinn played JDD more ealier, would it have made a difference in Khabi injury?

#78 Quinn the Eskimo
January 02 2010, 11:02PM
jake wrote:

'zackly. That's why it is entirely legit to dive. Sh*t weather and nowhere near any major fun city, we should be allowed, as in Scrabble, to chuck our letters in exchange for a new pick.

Kevin Weekes is the commentator of the future. After I'm dead would be good.

Joe Thornton better not sh*t the bed for the nats.

#79 Shaun Doe
January 02 2010, 11:07PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Well from what I heard the Penguins did their very best to destroy Fleury's carrear before figuring it out and it managed to work out fine in the end. The disclaimer should be that Fleury and JDD don't seem to be of the same calibre nor are they playing behind the same powerhouse of a team. I was just reminded of the botch job the Pens did with Fleury when you speak of the bang up job the Oilers are doing with their current net minding crop.

#80 David S
January 02 2010, 11:12PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Thanks Robin. That was a good perspective.

It seems to me that we're stuck in the same situation MacT had last year. He went with Roloson to the bitter end because (I suspect) he wanted the best chance to win. Now Quinn has the same problem. Our backup is inevitably some callup from juniors with 0 NHL experience. Seems to me JDD is an NHL backup right now that MIGHT turn into a decent starter with the right number of games and tons of coaching and practice. As it is right now, he's being fed to the lions.

What kills me is that although this team looks pretty bad right now, I can't help but wonder how we'd be doing if Khabby (or Roloson) were in net. It strikes me the team has pretty much zero confidence, resulting in the situation where they may have already lost the game before the opening whistle. Its the only thing I can think of to explain the general sense I have that most of the players aren't performing to their potential. I mean, you can't expect everybody to be firing on all cylinders all the time, but this is bloody ridiculous.

#81 Reagan
January 02 2010, 11:20PM

Who cares who was bad. It's meaningless to argue mute points when the whole team stinks. I'm looking forward to trade deadline and draft day!

#82 RossCreekNation
January 02 2010, 11:35PM

Why don't they try Cogliano on the wing on one of the "top" 2 lines already. If I were in charge, a line like Penner-Brule-Cogliano would inrigue me somewhat (based on what they have to work with, anyway). Speed, skill, grit, size... a bit of everything.

EDIT: Wasn't that a line they tried in camp/preseason or no?

#83 RossCreekNation
January 02 2010, 11:41PM

Any talk of MacTavish to St. Louis... only caught the last 2 periods of the Oil game because of work. Didn't even hear Murray got fired, but I'm not surprised. Surely MacT gets a look-see, no?

#84 RossCreekNation
January 02 2010, 11:54PM

Who backed up tonight if Dubnyk went to Springfield. I'm sure some smart person suggested the Oil pick up a Michael Leighton (@ 300,000 on waivers earlier), a Steve Valiquette (on waivers earlier), a Fred Brathwaite (ahh... ummm), anyone! Any veteran journeyman tender thats stopped a puck in the NHL before! Get someone so you can give the kid a rest and let Duby continue to play & develop in the 'A'. Deslauriers has developed in spite of his surroundings. Its not like they need a good goalie to partner up with him... just someone to share the losses. Heck, Valiquette has similar size as both JDD & Dubnyk. Could be a helpful hand to the youngsters IMO.

*By no means do I think Valiquette is a good NHL goalie... just good enough for now (rather have him on the bench than Dubnyk or Bryan Pitton or Glenn Fisher or whatever other dud is in the organization)*

#85 RossCreekNation
January 02 2010, 11:55PM

Ahhh fack! Looks like the party's over.

Peace out.

#86 DangerMan
January 02 2010, 11:57PM

@Robin Brownlee

You are correct RB. The way this team handles its goaltenders is criminal. Even in this stretch of games Dubnyk should have gotten more than one start. For one, to give JDD a break, and two, to see what Dubnyk has to offer. Getting shelled in a 7-2 game, it would have been nice to see how he would bounce back. He should have gotten one of the games in the recent back to back.

I'm starting to wonder if the Oilers brass even knows how to groom a player. You cannot play every game like its your last.

#87 KenL
January 03 2010, 12:33AM

Didn't see tonight's game, but wasn't surprised with the result. Dive for 5? Why?

The Oil will get into the draft lottery doing what they're doing now. There is no imminent need to change the team now. The Oil will most likely finish in the bottom three without doing anything.

As for the alleged cheapness incident at the Calgary restaurant. Has anyone considered the owner of the restaurant is blowing the incident out of proportion and is using this as free publicity for his eatery? I'm sure the Calgary media was more than eager to report and bash the Oil for being tight wads.

Is it possible the Oil was in the right and caught the restaurant over charging by $6,000? I find it suspicious the restaurant was willing to "adjust" the bill by $6K....that's not chump change for anyone. If the restaurant felt the original $18,000 bill was correct, wouldn't the obvious action be to call the cops and stop these millionaire dine and dashers?

Something really stinks about the Calgary restaurant's story...

#88 graybag
January 03 2010, 12:36AM

Time for a market correction at the old Rexall place. I can't pay hard earned money to watch this hockey. $5 beers and $2 hotdogs and I am back!

#89 DonDon
January 03 2010, 12:39AM

I'm sorry, but this team is playing up to its potential. It's just that most individual players' potential is limited, as in 15th place in the Western Conference limited.

How long before Quinn gets a heart attack and Renney leaves the organization for lack of support?

How can Tambelinni get up in the morning and look at himself in the mirror? He of great promises that didn't deliver. He that signed Khabibulin and locked up his contract for four years. He who hasn't cleaned house? He who became paralyzed waiting for the impossible, Heatley to sign? And didn't take the available opportunities at the time to bring in some legitimate NHL player at bargainb basement contracts?

It is too late now, other than clearing out a bunch of contracts, otherwise he will screw up next season, and the season after.

#90 Moose66
January 03 2010, 12:51AM

It's time to relieve Patrick Laforge, Alan Watt, Nick Wilson and all the other high level positions in the rexal sports empire!!!THESE PEOPLE DON'T RECEIVE ANY CRITICISM, THEY ARE HIDDEN BECAUSE THE ON-ICE PRODUCT IS SOOO BAD!! IT'S TIME FOR FRESH BLOOD EVERYWHERE THROUGH THE ORGANIZATION, THE COCKINESS AND ARROGANCE SMELLS SO BAD THROUGHOUT THE ORGANIZATION!! I am sooooooo TIRED OF HEARING LAFORGE ON AIR TALKING ABOUT THE ARENA, EVEN THOUGH I BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BUILD IT ANYWAY!! HE SOUNDS LIKE A USED CAR SALESMAN!!! I HONESTLY THINK LAFORGE BELIEVES THE SELLOUTS AT OILERS GAMES ARE BECAUSE OF HIS BRILLIANT MARKETING, "NEWS FLASH", THE OILERS HAVE SELLOUTS BECAUSE OF THE 2006 RUN!! THE FANS BUY THE TICKETS BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO MISS A CHANCE OF ANOTHER MAGICAL RUN! ASK THE FANS IF THEY GET VALUE IN THEIR TICKETS, NOT LIKELY! I CAN'T GIVE THEM AWAY! A MONKEY COULD DEVELOP A MARKETING PLAN TO SELLOUT THIS BUILDING IN EDMONTON AFTER THAT RUN! IF THEY DON'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2006 THAN THEY WOULD HAVE MISSED THE PLAYOFFS 6 CONSECUTIVE YEARS, AND THIS BUILDING WOULD BE 25% EMPTY!!!

KEVIN LOWE WHAT DOES HE DO ANYWAY! PRESIDENT OF THE HOCKEY OPERATIONS! WOW! HOW DES HE STILL HAVE A JOB! 1 PLAYOFF APPEARANCE IN THE LAST 6 YEARS IN MAKING THE PLAYOFFS! ALAN WATT ANOTHER EMPLOYEE IN A HIGH LEVEL POSITION THAT SHOULD BE FIRED!! ANOTHER CHARACTER I AM SICK AND TIRED OF READING HIS QUOTES!

NICK WILSON OIL KINGS! WHAT MORE DO I HAVE TO SAY! THIS WILL BE THE THIRD YEAR OF A PATHETIC PERFORMANCE OF THIS TEAM! NICK, ITS TIME YOU JUMP ON THE SAME TRAIN OUT OF HERE AS THE OTHER HIGH PRICED MANAGEMENT!

DARYL KATZ I WAS REALLY EXCITED WHEN YOU PURCHASED THIS OILERS AND OIL KINGS, HOWEVER YOU HAVN'T PUT YOUR STAMP ON THIS HOCKEY TEAM AS AN OWNER! I AM ACTUALLY MORE DISGUSTED RIGHT NOW THAN I WAS WHEN THE EIG GROUP WAS RUNNING THE FRANCHISE. DARYL ALL YOUR DOING IS PUTTING LIPSTICK ON A PIG, GUESS WHAT, IT'S STILL A PIG!!! TIME FOR YOU TO SHOW THAT YOU HAVE SOME GONADS AND MAKE SOME DIFFICULT BUT NECESSARY DECISIONS!! BY THE WAY, GREAT ADDITION IN ACQUIRING MIKE COMRIE! WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU HAD YOUR FINGERPRINTS ON THAT ONE. I TRULY BELIEVE THAT IS THE ONLY DECISION YOU ACTUALLY MADE ON THIS FRANCHISE OTHER THAN BUYING IT! THERE IS STILL TIME FOR YOU TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE YOU LOSE THE FAITH OF THE FANS!!

#91 Victoria
January 03 2010, 01:19AM

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!?!

#92 Eddie Shore
January 03 2010, 01:37AM

@Moose66

I'll take your tickets...

#93 Jamie B.
January 03 2010, 01:39AM

It's like Kanye West just started posting here.

RossCreek - They called up Pitton again.

#94 Eddie Shore
January 03 2010, 01:48AM

Only 7 back of the Canes as of right now. I really hope changes are made this year at the deadline/offseason to get this franchise back pointed in the right direction.

#95 Wanye
January 03 2010, 02:07AM
Moose66 wrote:

LOUD NOISES!!

Great call on the Kanye West comment Jamie LOLZ

#96 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 03 2010, 03:16AM
6 ring circus wrote:

Well I'm pretty sure the problem is coaching?? I mean that makes sense, doesn't it?

#97 dimensha
January 03 2010, 03:45AM

@Moose66

some good points and some bad, but posting a rant like this ALL IN CAPS, is annoying, so please stop

#98 David S
January 03 2010, 03:49AM
Moose66 wrote:

#99 Gerald R. Ford
January 03 2010, 10:00AM

Please, please, do not scream like that. It's a sure way to get Brownlee to sic The Nation's Clown Unit on you. No one wants that.

#100 6 ring circus
January 03 2010, 10:31AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I have on more than one occasion admitted my mistake,that Mac T was not the reason for all the teams failures hindsight is great.But he is the one who did not play JDD,he is the one who blasted Penner and he is also the one who lost the room.Player changes need to be made,at this point we might as well wait till the trade deadline and ensure our last place finish before cleaning house,If Tamballini does nothing then it is time that,the management side of this team including K lowe and some of the players are shown the door.