GDB XLII: Oil meets water

bingofuel
January 02 2010 06:45PM

I just got back from being out in the country... Breathing in the country air, eating country foods, rasslin' country dogs, and watching the World Juniors: fast-paced and inspiring hockey.

It's a new year, and this bout of relaxation was much-needed. But I'm still confused as to what I should be cheering for here in the OilersNation: wins or losses? Should the team tank the season, secure in the knowledge that things cannot possibly get better? Or can things *actually* improve and bring the Oilers within striking distance of a playoff spot. And the most important question of all: will a sequel to Striking Distance ever be made?

No more streaks

Or, rather, no more losing streaks. When the Oil beat the Leafs on Wednesday, I thought we might be on the verge of something fabulous for 2010. Then, on New Year's Eve, they blew it against the Flames... Then they went and blew a bunch of dough at Osteria — hilariously the favourite restaurant of my parents who still cheer for the Oilers. I'm not sure what really happened, but it doesn't sit right with me. You're rich — pay your extravagant bill!

And win hockey games!

I dont' have much to say, because I feel out of the loop, but I'd like to see discussion on the following in the GDB:

  1. Tipping in general
  2. The Dive for Five
  3. Steven Segal's prowess in his new "cop" profession

The Oilers are going to drown the Sharks. 2-1 in OT.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
Avatar
#1 R-DAWG
January 02 2010, 06:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Oil will get killed 8-2...sorry guys!

Avatar
#2 The Towel Boy
January 02 2010, 06:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I spent the entire day on the couch watching a "Mad Men" marathon on Bravo. The 60's were awesome.

Then I discover there's an Oiler game on CBC tonight. What a great day to stay in my PJ's.

...Time to mix a dirty martini and watch the continuing saga of the Fall for Hall.

Sharks coming in having won their last 7 games and the Oilers having won one of their last 7....hmmm...I wonder what the Sport Select payout would be on this one if the Oilers win.

Avatar
#3 Smokin' Ray
January 02 2010, 07:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I call Oilers lose 6-1.

And what the hell is up with that Steven Segal? Is he a cop now? Does he kung fu people? *brain explodes* What about Chuck Norris? He'd be better to watch.

Avatar
#4 Jenga
January 02 2010, 07:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Ha ha! 2-1 in OT. Now THAT'S comedy folks.

Avatar
#5 Jenga
January 02 2010, 07:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Smokin' Ray wrote:

I call Oilers lose 6-1.

And what the hell is up with that Steven Segal? Is he a cop now? Does he kung fu people? *brain explodes* What about Chuck Norris? He'd be better to watch.

Dude. A little something called "Walker, Texas Ranger"ring a bell? No? How about the Total Gym?

Avatar
#6 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
January 02 2010, 07:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

5-2 regulation win for SJ.

Goals to Penner and Brule.

Penner punches Dany Heatley square in the back of the head for getting picked for the Olympic team, then steals his jersey and plays in his stead.

These are my girlfriend's picks, so we'll see how well she does.

Avatar
#7 Librarian Mike
January 02 2010, 07:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

re: Stephen Seagal's TV show.

Whenever I see it, I think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEsbY1-9UYg

Avatar
#8 Travis Dakin
January 02 2010, 07:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Bingofuel.....

Pay the tab? surely you aren't insisting that just because someone has a lot of cash, it makes it ok to over charge them.

Tipping- No tip for over the counter service. Subway, booster juice.... put your damn tip jar away. You aren't doing anything extra for me. You're just doing your job.

Another thing- When you are at a bar with Jeanshorts and Librarian Mike and Hoodlum and the waitress comes and tells you that she "wants to clear up the bill because you are over $350, she doesn't get a tip when you are clearing it up. She gets it when you are done drinking. IF she stops being a sh*tty waitress. Yes we want more! Keep them coming FFS. (just remind us at the end what the total was)

And lastly, if you are in a group of 10 or more and they have the 18% built in gratuity, THAT IS YOUR TIP!!!! I'm not giving more than that if you are setting the amount. That's the gamble you take because I probably would have given more.

For the record, I am known to be a generous tipper usually.

Avatar
#9 bigrroberto
January 02 2010, 07:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I think the game will be closer then people give them credit for. Historically we play well against the sharks. In the last ten games agains them we're 4-6. If you factor in that the last 4 we've been 0-4 that's not too bad. Of those 4 losses, 2x were 1 goal games, 1x 2 goal game, and 1x 3 goal game. Not bad all things considered.

On a side note I was browsing around and game across this GDT for the sharks. Check out who this guys picks for goal scorers... gotta love informed "fans"!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=720728&page=2

Avatar
#10 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 02 2010, 08:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Travis Dakin wrote:

Bingofuel.....

Pay the tab? surely you aren't insisting that just because someone has a lot of cash, it makes it ok to over charge them.

Tipping- No tip for over the counter service. Subway, booster juice.... put your damn tip jar away. You aren't doing anything extra for me. You're just doing your job.

Another thing- When you are at a bar with Jeanshorts and Librarian Mike and Hoodlum and the waitress comes and tells you that she "wants to clear up the bill because you are over $350, she doesn't get a tip when you are clearing it up. She gets it when you are done drinking. IF she stops being a sh*tty waitress. Yes we want more! Keep them coming FFS. (just remind us at the end what the total was)

And lastly, if you are in a group of 10 or more and they have the 18% built in gratuity, THAT IS YOUR TIP!!!! I'm not giving more than that if you are setting the amount. That's the gamble you take because I probably would have given more.

For the record, I am known to be a generous tipper usually.

~not passing grade 4 math and handing out random amounts of money because of it does not equal a generous tipper~

Avatar
#11 Sandra
January 02 2010, 08:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Nilson has been the most consitent player in the last 9 games. Did Quinn turn another one? Biw uf we can get rid of th vets we may have a good team.

Avatar
#12 Sandra
January 02 2010, 08:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

You think Rod Philips call on Desjarlais a motivater for him? He has played well since then.

Avatar
#13 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 02 2010, 08:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

This is a must lose game for the Oilers, we can handle a win against teams like the Leafs, but games like tonight where their we are the clear underdogs need to be taken advantage of.

Avatar
#14 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 02 2010, 08:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Sandra wrote:

Nilson has been the most consitent player in the last 9 games. Did Quinn turn another one? Biw uf we can get rid of th vets we may have a good team.

Thanks for the laugh.

Avatar
#15 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 02 2010, 08:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Sandra wrote:

You think Rod Philips call on Desjarlais a motivater for him? He has played well since then.

~who the f*** is Desjarlais?

Avatar
#16 Sandra
January 02 2010, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

J DD

Avatar
#17 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 02 2010, 08:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

This is a must lose game for the Oilers, we can handle a win against teams like the Leafs, but games like tonight where their we are the clear underdogs need to be taken advantage of.

Looks like they wont disappoint

Avatar
#18 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 02 2010, 08:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Sandra wrote:

You think Rod Philips call on Desjarlais a motivater for him? He has played well since then.

I want to claw my eyes out whenever you write his name like that.

Avatar
#19 17
January 02 2010, 08:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

I remember Sandra saying that was how Deslauriers name was pronounced among the native community? I think? I was at the Leafs game and to my surprise, that's exactly how a few of the guys behind me pronounced it.

Avatar
#20 WT
January 02 2010, 08:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

WT just happy to be watching hockey again. Seems like new goalie needs to be better. WT heard hall of fame broadcaster Rod also had to take some time off. Hope he is feeling well also SJ like Viagra, maybe Sandra needs some

Avatar
#21 Giggsunited
January 02 2010, 08:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Desjarlais?? oh Delorear.

Avatar
#22 David S
January 02 2010, 08:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
WT wrote:

WT just happy to be watching hockey again. Seems like new goalie needs to be better. WT heard hall of fame broadcaster Rod also had to take some time off. Hope he is feeling well also SJ like Viagra, maybe Sandra needs some

Oh god.

Avatar
#23 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 02 2010, 09:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
bigrroberto wrote:

I think the game will be closer then people give them credit for. Historically we play well against the sharks. In the last ten games agains them we're 4-6. If you factor in that the last 4 we've been 0-4 that's not too bad. Of those 4 losses, 2x were 1 goal games, 1x 2 goal game, and 1x 3 goal game. Not bad all things considered.

On a side note I was browsing around and game across this GDT for the sharks. Check out who this guys picks for goal scorers... gotta love informed "fans"!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=720728&page=2

I'm looking for a big game out of Hemsky as well.

Avatar
#24 WT
January 02 2010, 09:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

WT thinks goalie, 44 and 10 are real bad. What has happened. 10 looks like he is hurt or something.

Avatar
#25 RossCreekNation
January 02 2010, 09:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

What a beautiful time to walk in the room!

Avatar
#26 Giggsunited
January 02 2010, 09:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

How do we get Kevin Weekes to shut the F*** up? he's brutal!

Avatar
#27 Giggsunited
January 02 2010, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Didnt know Gilbert knew had to be rough?

Avatar
#28 17
January 02 2010, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Cogliano is flying

Avatar
#29 WizCo
January 02 2010, 09:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Travis Dakin

meh. yer a bit of an a-hole if you don't think those immigrant men and women behind the counter at subway deserve a dollar in the tip jar for putting up with drunks like you figuring out what the f**k you want on the white bread meatball 12 inch you order after the game, with your friends right behind you ribbing you drunkenly about how you should be ordering a 6 inch anyway. yeah, they're just doing their sh*tty, underpaid, dirty job.

wow. big tipper. do you even know what tips are for?

Avatar
#30 Giggsunited
January 02 2010, 09:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Wizco 1 Travis 0

Avatar
#31 Sandra
January 02 2010, 09:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

They called Stortini "Huggie Bear"

Avatar
#32 Giggsunited
January 02 2010, 09:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Sandra wrote:

They called Stortini "Huggie Bear"

??? ya?

Avatar
#33 GSC
January 02 2010, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Gilbert is such a candy ass.

Avatar
#34 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
17 wrote:

I remember Sandra saying that was how Deslauriers name was pronounced among the native community? I think? I was at the Leafs game and to my surprise, that's exactly how a few of the guys behind me pronounced it.

No effing way is Deslauriers pronounced Dejarlais by anyone in Quebec, or any real french speaking person. That's an entirely different name altogether. Sandra is feeding you a load of bunk. Those people behind you probably didn't know how to pronounce his name properly. As someone who speaks french, I can tell you that it is NOT pronounced Dejarlais.

Avatar
#35 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
WT wrote:

WT just happy to be watching hockey again. Seems like new goalie needs to be better. WT heard hall of fame broadcaster Rod also had to take some time off. Hope he is feeling well also SJ like Viagra, maybe Sandra needs some

Dude, WTF?!

Avatar
#36 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Giggsunited wrote:

Didnt know Gilbert knew had to be rough?

Me either, I had to do a double take. Two hits in a row?

Avatar
#37 17
January 02 2010, 09:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Rigger

They don't pronounce it the French way, it's a translation of his name or something and that's how they pronounce it.

Avatar
#38 David S
January 02 2010, 09:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

Man. Roloson keeps giving the Islanders big games. We sure look like idiots for not keeping him, especially with JDD continually letting in soft ones at the worst times.

Avatar
#39 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@17

Then it's still a load of bunk. What the hell kind of translation is it to turn it into ANOTHER French name? I know a ton of people with the last name Desjarlais and I can assure you they wouldn't think his last name would be pronounced like theirs, in any translation. I've not heard JDD say his own name, but I doubt he would pronounce it that way.

Avatar
#40 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@David S

Yeah no doubt. I gotta say, I miss that crazy baseball swing of his.

Avatar
#41 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@17

Just as an aside, when you say "native" community, do you mean aboriginal, or native to the area he is from? Because most of the people I know with the last name Desjarlais are aboriginal.

Avatar
#42 Rigger
January 02 2010, 09:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

BS call, total dive there.

Avatar
#43 Quinn the Eskimo
January 02 2010, 10:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@David S

Rolie gave us big games too, none bigger than the playoffs in 2006. Years later he wanted more than Kevvy wanted to give him. Khabbi is a slightly better, slightly younger goalie than Roloson. Jeddy is doing well. We move on. Downward. Fine with me. Winning now is pointless and counterproductive. Going forward with this management team is counterproductive. Bring on the bottom as fast as possible. Fire and hire.

Avatar
#44 David S
January 02 2010, 10:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props
Rigger wrote:

Yeah no doubt. I gotta say, I miss that crazy baseball swing of his.

I miss the NHL level goaltending.

Avatar
#45 17
January 02 2010, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@Rigger

Here's the exact quote from Sandra

"Deslauriers is a Metis name that is prounounced Desjalais, it's a habit thing."

from here http://oilersnation.com/2009/9/26/deep-thoughts-xiii-brass-tacks/page/2

I thought it was kinda weird until I heard some gentlemen behind me pronounce it the exact same way. I know it's a French name and I know how it's pronounced.

Avatar
#46 Sandra
January 02 2010, 10:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@ Rigger. you really know Canada.

Avatar
#47 David S
January 02 2010, 10:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

So the guys over at Lowetide figure we're icing about 7 AHL players tonight. Sounds about right as we're pretty much getting schooled by a top notch, solid team.

All I can say is I really feel for Pat Quinn. This is probably his last coaching job and he has to work with this sh!tshow.

Avatar
#48 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@David S

Don't we all! Sheesh!

Avatar
#49 David S
January 02 2010, 10:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

BTW. Deslauriers is a French name that is pronounced Deslauriers.

Avatar
#50 Rigger
January 02 2010, 10:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
+1
0
props

@17

Yes, I am aware that Desjarlais is a Metis name, but it's a name on it's own. Deslauriers is NOT a metis name, but it's being mispronounced as if it was. To be clear, my beef isn't with you at all, so I apologize if it comes off that way. Sandra is wrong there, and if the guy pronounced it that way then he is mistaken as well.

Comments are closed for this article.