Oilers vs. Blackhawks Postgame

Jonathan Willis
January 26 2010 10:33PM

Chicago Blackhawks: 4

Edmonton Oilers: 2

Hey, look, a loss.

I got home tonight, looked at the ticker, looked at the remote for my PVR, and decided that I didn't have the fortitude to sit through the game.  So I won't.

I will take this opportunity to mention some of the tools that I use when I want to look at a game indepth and verify what I just saw.  For instance, this tool, provided by Vic Ferrari, allows the user to scroll through and see how the coaches ran their bench.  Most nights for the Oilers, it's an endless succession of 1-2-3-4, but a few games ago the coaching staff decided, 'aw shucks, we're sick of losing, let's try matching the lines.'

The astute observer, either of the game or of the shift chart, will note that Quinn & Co. rather diligently sent out Horcoff, Moreau and Pisani against Toews, Kane and Brouwer.  It was a mismatch; in terms of shots Horcoff finished the night +6/-17, and in Corsi he finished +13/-34, but somehow he finished even on the night, and added an assist on Pisani's goal.  I'm guessing the line had a brutal evening against some superior players.  On the defensive end, the staff also matched Gilbert/Souray against the Bane of Cabbies and his confederates, and they posted similar numbers to the 'shutdown' trio.

Those shot totals are here, by the way; another handy tool from Vic.  By the look of things, the notion of sending out those five as human sacrifices (much like MacT used to do with Stoll and Reasoner, before they were run out of town to the sound of crowds cheering 'minus-23, minus-17, minus-23!') was somewhat effective at shielding the rest of the team, but nowhere near enough.

This is the 11th loss in a row for Edmonton, and if they can somehow squeak through St. Louis and Calgary, they'll be 0-for-January.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#101 Westcoastoil
January 27 2010, 01:04PM
Crash wrote:

I'm liking the sounds of this except I'd take a pass on Bergfors and try for as you mentioned Henrique and Halischuk along with Greene.

Halischuk and Green are both listed at 5'11" - i think we have enough of those. Going back to TSN's list, trying to grab Mueller may be a good move to get some size in the middle maybe for Nilsson...

#102 VMR
January 27 2010, 01:05PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I'll take Dubnyk.

Even if he doesnt get a win all season?

#103 Bucknuck
January 27 2010, 01:09PM
VMR wrote:

Even if he doesnt get a win all season?

What is that "if" about? ;-)

Seriously though, if they keep playing him against the Penguins and Sharks I don't see him getting a win. Now when Columbus, Carolina, or St Louis is on the menu I want to see Dubs in there so he can fix his stats a little bit.

#104 LBH
January 27 2010, 01:10PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Looks like Souray to the Devils is picking up some steam...

New Jersey: Maybe the best chance for relocation. Lemaire was Souray's first NHL coach. He likes him, a lot, and the feeling is mutual. The Devils are certainly a Cup threat, battling for top spot in the East even without defenceman Paul Martin, who's been out with a busted forearm for months. The Devils need somebody to run their power play. They have cap room and New Jersey always drafts well so they have assets. Reportedly, they would move Swedish forward Niklas Bergfors (27 points, 13 goals) and former world junior forward Matt Halischuk, although the Oilers should maybe hold out for big Canadian junior forward Adam Henrique from Windsor. The Devils would move defenceman Andy Greene (24 points), too.

If by chance NJD are a trading partner for us, Matthew Corrente should be an automatic that T-Lo goes after... our D is horrible! plus we have Eberle, MPS, Gagner, Brule, Cogs, and either Hall/Seguin to add to our young Forwards, not to mention Penner/Hemsky....

We desperately need D, if T-Lo adds more F's I'll be thoroughly disappointed when he should be adding some D

#105 RossCreekNation
January 27 2010, 01:11PM

@VMR

He's 2 years younger than JDD and doesn't look any further behind. So 2 years from now, it'd be fair to assume he'll be better than Deslauriers is right now.

That's also 2 extra years before he becomes a UFA.

Plus he has the organization's vote (IMO) because he was a 1st round pick, while Deslauriers was a 2nd rounder. All things being equal, the organization will likely tend to keep the guy with the higher pedigree.

Oh... and he's a western Canadian kid.

So ya, I'll take Dubnyk.

#106 RossCreekNation
January 27 2010, 01:13PM

@LBH

Unless they got their eyes on Cam Fowler ;-)

#107 Crash
January 27 2010, 01:17PM
Westcoastoil wrote:

Good point, so maybe Henrique who is listed at 6ft 196 and growing.....I do like the idea of the mention of Dallas and Jamie Benn

#108 Crash
January 27 2010, 01:18PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Unless they got their eyes on Cam Fowler ;-)

Oh I sure hope they don't pass up on Hall/Seguin for Fowler

#109 David S
January 27 2010, 01:34PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

That's also 2 extra years before he becomes a UFA.

Oh... and he's a western Canadian kid.

So ya, I'll take Dubnyk.

I have to think that on a real NHL team, neither JDD or DD would see the light of day. It stuns me we're still "waiting to see how these guys play out" when its ridiculously obvious neither has the stones for the big show.

The only reason they're still here is the drive for the first draft pick. It sickens me to think we're throwing the season, but having JDD and DD carry the mail in the best league in the world says we're doing just that. *spits*

#110 RossCreekNation
January 27 2010, 01:51PM

@David S

Devan Dubnyk is 23. 23!

FYI...

Curtis Joseph's 1st year - 22yrs old
That same season, Mike Richter started - 23
The year before, Ed Belfour started - 23
Dominik Hasek was 26
Marty Turco - 25

By no means am I trying to compare Dubnyk to these guys. The point is, at 23 years of age its awfully early to right off a goaltender. Look at Tim Thomas. He wasn't even a regular til after 30.

#111 rubbertrout
January 27 2010, 01:54PM
Crash wrote:

Oh I sure hope they don't pass up on Hall/Seguin for Fowler

Scene: Gary Bettman at the Podium as a breathless audience eagerly await the first overall pick. Edmonton Oilers fans, after suffering the ignominy of setting a record by losing their last 42 games in a row, are on the edge of their seats waitng for the pick that will lead the team forward in its efforts to rebuild itself into a respectable franchise.

"With the first pick, the Edmonton Oilers select Cam Fowler."

/head explodes

/headless body convulses on the ground

FIN

#112 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 27 2010, 01:55PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Devan Dubnyk is 23. 23!

FYI...

Curtis Joseph's 1st year - 22yrs old
That same season, Mike Richter started - 23
The year before, Ed Belfour started - 23
Dominik Hasek was 26
Marty Turco - 25

Hell, Rolli was an AHL allstar at 30.

#113 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 27 2010, 02:08PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Problem is with how the CBA is setup you don't have the option of just sending a guy to the minors because he is on a two-way deal. Drafting goalies might be the worse possible thing a team can do, unless of course it is someone who ends up going to NCAA where they are stuck there for four years and then you have 3 years to play around with them in the AHL. Either that are a true stud.

#114 Archaeologuy
January 27 2010, 02:08PM
rubbertrout wrote:

"With the first pick, the Edmonton Oilers select Cam Fowler."

/head explodes

/headless body convulses on the ground

FIN

I have faith that Stu wont do that.

#115 Senator Theo
January 27 2010, 02:40PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I don't know if it's always going to be this way but it's so easy to get goalies right now, especially "backup" types. I don't know why any team would waste thier time drafting and developing them.

#116 Jamie B.
January 27 2010, 02:45PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

He was one of their better players against Pittsburgh (I use this game cuz I was there in row 3) notching 2 beauty assists, yet the guy behind me kept bashing him all night. Why? Because its en vogue, I'd guess.

All I'm saying is the number of people "on him" this season has steadily grown, even when his play improved... because people are parrots. They say what they've heard. He hasn't been great and has fallen below my pre-season expectations (I had him as my star), but he hasn't been nearly as bad as most people seem to think he's been IMO.

Would I keep him around? Depends what moves are out there and what he'd bring in return. At most, 1 of he, Cogliano & Nilsson could remain.

Thanks, I'll be sure to just follow everyone else's opinion instead of forming my own based on watching every game. That does sound easier.

I was pumped when we traded for him. I had high hopes. At this point I would flat out give him away for nothing. He's only been here a season and a half so I can't blame him for any poor attitudes that might exist in the locker room, but I'm confident he's not contributing any good ones. Occasionally throwing a hit when the opportunity presents itself is not the same as being willing to engage in physical play when it's coming at you. I'm not saying he has to hit people or put himself in a position to get killed, I'm saying he needs to quit throwing the chute EVERY TIME he's going after a loose puck with someone else. His compete level is a negative value. The only one I can compare it to is Penner at his worst last season, when he was booed for turning away from a loose puck, just like O'Sullivan was last night.

He's my goat, fine. I want him off the team. But I came up with that on my own, not listening to other people.

#117 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
January 27 2010, 03:05PM
Senator Theo wrote:

Atl and Nyi have three goalies, Mtl is trying to get rid of Halak, Dallas turco, Theodore in wsh is available, Van has Schneider, Ana has JSG plus Pogge is doing well in the AHL, Vokoun is thought to be available, talk about Nabokov becoming a UFA, Toskala while not a good goalie could be cheap backup, Mason in Stl is UFA, NSh has both Ellis and Renne as UFA's odds are one will be gone next year.

This is just stuff off the top of my head that has been mentioned this week. Lots of goalies out there.

I'm really not seeing the point in drafting them.

#118 wintoon
January 27 2010, 04:41PM
Chris. wrote:

Potulny the second line center? How does Cogliano feel about that?

Who cares. Compare their production. Compare the number of games they have played.