Armchair GM VII: Who farted?

Robin Brownlee
January 29 2010 04:25PM

"You stink!" "You stink worse!" This, in essence, is what the Battle of Alberta has come down to. With the Edmonton Oilers winless in 12 games and the Calgary Flames getting no sniff in the last nine, tomorrow night's meeting in Cowtown shapes up like a purse fight. A slapping match.

So numb are some fans during a faceplant that now stands at 0-10-2 after Thursday's 2-1 loss to St. Louis, they're taking solace in knowing the Flames will show up Saturday with their asses in the breeze and their pants around their knees in the middle of a 0-6-3 embarrassment.

Given the circumstances, I guess there's something to be said for that schadenfreude thing, but on top of taking comfort in Calgary's sudden and shocking ineptitude, I'm thinking fans might be in for a helluva game.

Just when it looks like the fight has been taken out of the Oilers — and it has looked that way — I wouldn't be surprised if they, and the Flames for that matter, show up for the puck drop hacked off and ready to go.

I'd like to think both teams are sick of gagging on the stench of defeat and that both outfits could stand to blow off some steam. That could make for a memorable tilt. And, it says here, another Oilers loss that runs the Dirty Dozen to Unlucky 13.

That would set up Monday's game against Carolina at Rexall Place, the NHL version of The Biggest Loser, quite nicely.

You call the shots

With GM Steve Tambellini locked in the fetal position and unlikely to pull the trigger on anything except the handgun he's been putting in his mouth when he's home alone — no commitment there, either — I'd like to pick your brains about some scenarios he might be facing between now and July 1.

• Sheldon Souray has provided the list of teams he's be willing to waive his no-movement clause for in a trade. The teams include Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim. Keeping in mind the salary cap, who do you ask for when you pick up the telephone and talk to Joe Nieuwendyk, Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray? Please, resist the urge to make suggestions that amount to dry-fisting the aforementioned GMs.
  • The lottery is done and the Oilers, after finishing 30th, retain first pick in the lottery. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford has the third pick behind Edmonton and Toronto (which goes to Boston). Rutherford offers you his pick straight up for Dustin Penner. Do you make that deal?
  • Agent Jiri Crha puts in a call the day after the Entry Draft and informs you Ales Hemsky wants to be traded. After you sh*t yourself, which three teams do you call and who do you ask for?

A new angle?

While it goes without saying it's difficult for anybody in the Oilers line-up to distinguish themselves with the team face down in a puddle of puke, I've got to admit I haven't liked the looks of Jeff Deslauriers in weeks.

I've gone on the record repeatedly saying I like Deslauriers willingness to battle. I think, against most odds, he's shown he can be an NHL goaltender, but he's got some flaws in his technique that are alarming.

First, his angles. There's no way Deslauriers should be giving up goals on the short side, like he has in his last two games. He's either playing too deep in the net or losing the angle altogether. Probably both.

Second, Deslauriers is an atrocious puck-handler. I've known that since he fed Joffrey Lupul a gimme in the slot during an AHL game between the Edmonton Roadrunners and Cincinnati Mighty Ducks at The Pond during the lockout, but six years later? Either learn how to handle the puck or leave the damn thing alone.

If Deslauriers doesn't perform markedly better than Devan Dubnyk in the Oilers remaining games, he's going to make it impossible to justify keeping him ahead of Dubnyk. I expected him to be better than this.

This and that

• There aren't a lot of issues I disagree with Bob Stauffer on, but his suggestion signing Jaromir Jagr might be a good thing for the Oilers in the sense it could take pressure off the younger players, like say a Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, in the short-term is one of them. So, what, we're going to pay $4-5 million for a babysitter now? And what pressure? This team will be, or should be, in rebuild mode until the start of the 2012-13 season.
  • We haven't heard an official update on the status of Nikolai Khabibulin since surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. There are whispers, none I can trace back to team sources, there's some obvious doubt a 37-year-old like Khabibulin will come back from the surgery. Should I feel guilty for not feeling that's a bad thing?
  • If you think I'm being pessimistic by saying it'll take the rest of this season and two more to do a proper rebuild, think again. Agent Ritch Winter phoned me twice Wednesday while I was on the air with Jason Gregor, pitching the same seven-year timeline he sold Rob Tychkowski at The Sun a week or so ago. Sorry, Ritch. Not buying it.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 JackBauer
January 29 2010, 04:32PM

"Sheldon Souray has provided the list of teams he's be willing to waive his no-movement clause for in a trade. The teams include Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim. Keeping in mind the salary cap, who do you ask for when you pick up the telephone and talk to Joe Nieuwendyk, Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray? Please, resist the urge to make suggestions that amount to dry-fisting the aforementioned GMs."

A first round pick, and a 3rd line center/or 2 AHl picks to send to the farm.

An overwhelming yes!

#2 Colby Cosh
January 29 2010, 04:40PM

Some goalies are weak to the short side. And some hockey writers are weak up the backside. Welcome to Obvious Town, Mr. Brownlee.

#3 Jamie B.
January 29 2010, 04:44PM

Am I right in thinking the ONLY way to get "cap relief" from Khabibulin's contract is to keep him technically on the roster but on LTIR? Which doesn't erase it but lets them spend that much over the cap? It's still there if he retires, gets sent down, etc, yes?

#4 dragon
January 29 2010, 04:46PM

nothing else happens, so I'll bite: for Souray + Moreau a. from DAL: Fistric & Brunnstrom b. from ANA: Koivu & Chipchura c. from LA: Simmonds & Johnson

3rd pick for Penner? No. Teams stinks, he still tries to fight through, he can stay...

Hemmer traded? What, we're not rebuilding around Hemmer? ~ To Boston for Toronto's pick and prospect defensman.

Saturday game: that's all is left in here - to get a spanking from 0-6-2 (F)lames....

#5 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 29 2010, 04:48PM
Colby Cosh wrote:

beer league goalies are weak short side.

NHL goalies should not be.

#6 Jmask5
January 29 2010, 04:49PM

Didn't Jagr say that if he came back he'd play for close to the league minimum because it would be less pressure to preform?? Either way if the Oilers are planning to sign him for 4.5 or anywhere near that then there defenitely needs to be some firings.

#7 Tyler
January 29 2010, 04:49PM

Well yes, you did say that. Inter alia, as the geeks say. I believe you also declared that he had, quote: "...pretty much shoved it up the backsides of his critics once and for all as to his ability to be a competent NHL starter."

Oh, and you added this:

Not long ago, I praised Deslauriers for, in my estimation, proving his many critics wrong during a 10-game stretch. That prompted some numbers nerds at another website to take shots at me for doing it — a 10-game sample size, that’s absurd, they sniffed. Not surprising to me, really. I’ve made it known I don’t put much faith in their numbers and they, in return, enjoy making it clear they don’t put much weight in my words. Fine. Good. Whatever.

and

I said it before, I said it in that piece last week and I’ll say it again after watching him stiff the Flames on a night the Oilers should have lost by a half-dozen goals: Deslauriers is an NHL starter. I’m not basing that on 10 games, I’m basing that opinion on eight years of watching him stop pucks — something I maybe didn’t make clear enough in the item that had the geeks scoffing at my take.

How can you let eight years of watching him stop pucks (albeit not on shots to the short side) be overridden by a lousy month? It's a tiny sample Robin - a tiny sample.

BTW - you a fan of the West Wing? Ever see "Take out the Trash Day"? Great episode.

#8 Tyler
January 29 2010, 04:54PM

Oh and re: Khabby - the Oilers are screwed if he can't come back. I looked for some guys who had the same operation, came up with Daren Puppa and Ed Belfour. Puppa actually had the same surgeon, it appears. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

The rebuild won't begin until Tambo is gone and Lowe is doing nothing more important than attending pancake breakfasts.

#9 jeanshorts
January 29 2010, 04:54PM

After they ran that piece last night about how Hasek was JDD's favorite goalie, A LOT of things started making sense.

#10 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 29 2010, 04:59PM
jeanshorts wrote:

did you figure out the caramilk secret?

#11 Ender
January 29 2010, 05:02PM

Penner for the third overall. Damn. You may note that Penner is my goat. I'm on record for not liking the guy. All that said, I simply cannot justify swapping the team point leader, sucky team or no, on someone who may turn out to be Alexandre Daigle. This year's draft is not incredibly deep and while we think the first three picks look reasonably solid, we have to remember that they're still prospects.

If I'm looking to hang on to my spot as GM, I'm trading my leading scorer only for a proven commodity if at all. Rolling the dice on a pick in that fashion is just asking to get burned; it's the hockey equivelant of 'All-In'. I couldn't justify it, although if Penner does become invisible again I can't say I would be surprised. All in all, the risk does not equal the potential gain. Buy yourself some role players; win a face-off and kill a penalty. If you've got to ship Penner out, these are the players you need to be getting back.

#12 Ryan
January 29 2010, 05:07PM

Hemsky for Jordan Staal.

#13 Kitchener Oilfan
January 29 2010, 05:19PM

Derek Zona from copper & blue:

is this the break that we need in order facilitate a trade with San Jose? I'm thinking if Vlasic's injury is an season ending injury, Doug Wilson's hands are tied and will be forced to make somekind of move. Thoughts?

#14 Wanye
January 29 2010, 05:25PM

OOOOO Brownlee all the mean kids have shown up and are yelling at you. What EVER will you do in response?

*sits down in a lawn chair with a case of beer to witness what Brownlee does in response*

#15 1101101
January 29 2010, 05:29PM
Colby Cosh wrote:

Hey Colby Cosh,

Hopefully my grandma figures out how to use an internet so she can check you out at her favourite magazine's website. If you want to be a dick, maybe go back where you came from. More people have just read you embarassing yourself here than your blog probably gets in a month.

Beat it.

Oh, and welcome to the OilersNation.

#16 Racki
January 29 2010, 05:37PM

My list of what to ask for from these teams:

Dallas: Not too sure, but I'd say as high a pick as possible.

Anaheim: Nick Boynton plus a pick or prospect (may need to take some more salary on though)

Los Angeles: Jack Johnson (plus more if at all possible).

I could be completely off base with these suggestions though. I would like to see Boynton or Johnson here. Boynton because I think he addresses the need of toughness, but also is decent enough on the offensive side. And perhaps playing here for a bit will give him a bit of reason to re-sign here. Johnson may a bit of a gamble though, given that there are some apparent attitude issues.

Oh btw, I agree wholeheartedly on non-signing Jagr. If it were a few years ago, sure. But there are cheaper solutions that would help the team as much.

#17 jeanshorts
January 29 2010, 05:41PM

@Wanye

You know, some of us appreciate it when others return emails!

*rips off his Snuggy® and runs out of the house bawling*

#18 6 ring circus
January 29 2010, 05:53PM

Robin If Tamballini sits there and does not pull the trigger do you think Katz will do a complete overhaul? and I know you have mentioned it on here before, but I think bringing in someone like Rich Winter as your President and GM is what this organization needs to move forward.There should be alot of pink slips at seasons end, to both the players and management.

#19 Mr DeBakey
January 29 2010, 05:53PM

"sits down in a lawn chair with a case of beer to witness what Brownlee does in response"

He's going to admit those numbers nerds were right?

#20 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
January 29 2010, 06:01PM
Oilfan2010 wrote:

Nah, he will just insult them without actually saying anything before heading off to beat his wife.

Wow - that was a little dark. I'm not always on board with Brownlee, but I think I draw the line there.

#21 The Magic Man
January 29 2010, 06:06PM

I don't know who farted between the Oilers and The Flames, but I do know that I farted and it smells like Cheese! Ummmmmmmmm Cheese!!

#22 shanetrain
January 29 2010, 06:10PM

Souray should be able to get you JJohnson and 2nd rounder from LA?

From Anaheim, maybe Artyuhkin and 2nd rounder.

From Dallas, Fistric and 2nd rounder.

I would very hesitantly let Penner go with the thought any one of Hall Seguin or Fowler should have solid NHL careers.

I would be extremely happy if Hemsky in fact wanted out!

Maybe he would fetch Anisimov and Sanguinetti from the Rangers?

Simmonds and Voynov from L.A.?

Eric Fehr and Karl Alzner from Washington?

#23 Jasmine
January 29 2010, 06:11PM

If Tambellini is fired, I want someone from a successful organization. Jim Nill from Detroit comes to mind. David Conte of New Jersey also comes to mind.

#24 Tyler
January 29 2010, 06:21PM

Cosh never should have declared that JDD "...pretty much shoved it up the backsides of his critics once and for all as to his ability to be a competent NHL starter."

#25 jeanshorts
January 29 2010, 06:22PM

@Oilfan2010

There's a pretty big difference between criticizing someone for something they wrote, or disagreeing with their viewpoint, and taking an unimaginative pot shot at someone for no reason other than you're insecure with the fact that you have never been laid.

Thanks for contributing.

#26 OILER86
January 29 2010, 06:30PM

@Oilfan2010

Oilfan2010 not sure why you went personal on Brownlee but you're classless, unfunny, and amuse only yourself.

#27 Travis Dakin
January 29 2010, 06:30PM

@jeanshorts

Don't bother, he doesn't even actually read them.

*curses facebook again for suggesting Wanye Gretz be his friend*

#28 Westcoastoil
January 29 2010, 06:31PM
Racki wrote:

My list of what to ask for from these teams:

Dallas: Not too sure, but I'd say as high a pick as possible.

Los Angeles: Jack Johnson (plus more if at all possible).

Boynton!? that made me throw up in my mouth a little. Pray to the ghost of Grant Fuhr that Khabby can go LTIR or Mogilny for the rest of his contract.

From: Dallas - Fistric or Benn and as high a pick as you can get. LA - one of Simmons/Johnson a pick and you could take Williams if you had to to make the $ work since he's a UFA in '11 and a good player (when healthy) with some experience for the kids to lean on Ana - ~Lupul~ orrrr Wisniewski (if you could get him) or Carter + picks depending on which player

Keep Penner make Hemmer happy

#29 Travis Dakin
January 29 2010, 06:33PM

@Oilfan2010 @Tyeler @Colby Cosh

Please explain to me your agenda is. I mean seriously, you guys have your exclusive little playgrounds throughout the web where you get to make fun of those of differing opinions than yours, so what is it you are trying to accomplish with the drive-bys over here?

#30 jeanshorts
January 29 2010, 06:34PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

@Oilfan2010 @Tyeler @Colby Cosh

Brownlee hates stats. Stats guys hate Brownlee.

CATFIGHT!!!!!

#31 Colby Cosh
January 29 2010, 06:34PM
1101101 wrote:

Hey Colby Cosh,

Beat it.

Oh, and welcome to the OilersNation.

Embarrassing myself? What'd I do--stake my reputation on a technically dubious goalie, boast scatologically about how he had silenced his critics forever, and immediately see him implode?

Look, we all eat crow occasionally, but I was sincerely confused when RB crawled out on a limb to kill and eat one. (And I'm still confused about the "last two games" thing. Two??)

#32 ~Steele
January 29 2010, 06:36PM

My thought is that Jeff Deslauriers hurt his glove hand a while back and that's why Dubbie got so may starts. I have been watching Deslaurier since he got the nod the past two games and besides the fact that he goes to his knees with every shot at him he has had problems picking up the puck with his glove hand when handing it to the Refs. So, an injury???? An injury he's just coming back from?

#33 H-time
January 29 2010, 06:38PM

You call the shots:

1- For Souray, any number of things would work, 1st or 2nd round pick + crap. I wouldnt mind seeing a tough Dman (ala Matt Greene) coming back or a defensive faceoff winning C (ala David Steckel)

2- I keep Penner, although he only has 1 year left on his deal it would be a real gut wrenching choice. With Penner we only need to fill 3 top 6 slots, without Penner, we only have 2 top 6 FW\\'s, and I\\'m being generous calling Gagner one though he\\'s gotten better. I hold on to him though and see what he does next season, and either deal at deadline or re-sign. However, Id talk to DP first, and if he didn\\'t like would resign 1 year later Id deal him, won\\'t get better than a top 3 pick for him at deadline.

3- I curl up in the fetal position and cry, then call Detroit, Philly and if CHI still has all this talent and needs to dump I do them. Det - try to take one of their good for the cap players. PHI - Gagne, or Carter, or anyone they feel they need to dump that week since it changes all the time. Chi - Sharp, Versteeg +, so many options.

#34 H-time
January 29 2010, 06:39PM

@RB

Although since seemingly no one asked yet, I\'m curious what you would do in each of the three scenarios you listed. All are toughies.

#35 Travis Dakin
January 29 2010, 06:45PM
jeanshorts wrote:

Brownlee hates stats. Stats guys hate Brownlee.

CATFIGHT!!!!!

It's just like high school.

#36 devoknows
January 29 2010, 06:48PM

Is Washington on Sourays list? I just heard a few minutes ago while tweeting that Green from Washington might be done for the year with a serious knee injury. Im thinking Souray might be an option for Washington now

#37 VK63
January 29 2010, 06:49PM

From Dallas... Warren Peters, Grace the ice girl and a first rounder. Actually Peters is a UFA, he can be had in the summer for the min. So just Grace and a first. Throw in Travis Morin

Los Angeles..... Teubert .... dont care if hes a dick head, its Regina, its easy to think highly of yourself when surrounded by people wearing watermelons that...... ah never mind... its regina. Take Kozun as a throw in thus eliminating the need to give the swedish shrimp a dangle and that entire goat rodeo

Anaheim...... Justin Schultz, Kyle Palmieri, Brenden Mikkelson.

So effectively its Penner for Fowler and you have eased 4 million in salary. Not bad... Penners deal is over by the time this team does anything significant anyways. Straight up.. or can we get another prospect/ AHL guy from Rutherford for a top up?

I talk to Vancouver for Hemmer and ask for Kessler or Hodgson and Schroeder and Scott Arneil...please Buffalo... tyler myers and the coach James Patrick... please

#38 jeanshorts
January 29 2010, 06:58PM

So, against my better judgment I'm watching the Leafs/Devils game (I find a bit of solace in watching another team wallow in their own crapitude, especially since they have nothing to look forward to at the draft) and some guy just walked by the camera wearing a Devils jersey with "Godzilla" #69 on the back. There should be a better screening process for who gets let into NHL games.

#39 speeds
January 29 2010, 07:02PM
Ender wrote:

It would be a total no brainer for EDM to make that trade; it's hardly even debatable. They aren't particularly well positioned to be contending in the next year or two; it wouldn't make any sense for the Oilers to turn down that trade given the projected state of the team for the next season or two.

#40 Racki
January 29 2010, 07:05PM
Westcoastoil wrote:

Keep Penner make Hemmer happy

I'm not talking about Boynton being a centerpiece of the deal, but he would be a good piece to get from Anaheim because he brings a good physical game and, again, can play well at both ends of the ice. He has his flaws, but I think he'd be a good player to get that allows us to move Staios.

#41 Harlie
January 29 2010, 07:06PM

good piece...lots of meat to chew on...thanks RB

#42 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 29 2010, 07:11PM
dragon wrote:

So you'd trade Hemsky for the 2nd overall but not Penner for the 3rd overall?

#43 Kevin
January 29 2010, 07:12PM

Jagr ?No way we are in rebuild mode here aren't we! Penned for Bostons pick? Absolutely again rebuildode and shed salary. The thought is well never move horc.

Souray ? I would move him to Dallas to get Neal and Benn if it takes cogs as well, I would make that deal.

Hemsky ? Yes I would move him to La with Lubo and want JJ and Dustin Brown and a 2nd round pick in return.

Comrie. ? If the Rangers return a pick or prospect. I would do this deal. We have enough smurfs.

Any takers for Staois, Moreau, Pisani, Pouliot, Osullivan?

Grebs ? Yes for a more reliable Dman if that's possible.

#44 JB
January 29 2010, 07:14PM

a) Dallas - package with Chorney for Fistric, Daley (cap filler) and a 1st Anaheim - WIesnewski and a 2nd or Boynton and a 1st LA - Johnson straight up or Greene and a 2nd Souray's big cap hit, poor play and no-trade make this a buyer's market and the Oil will have to settle for average NHLers, draft picks and/or expiring contracts b) Penner for #3 - yes - in for a penny, in for a pound. Selling high is a good idea; this idea of selling high might apply to Visnovsky as well (although obviously not for the #3) c) Hemsky asks for a trade - try ANA for Bobby Ryan, NYR for package including Dubinsky, DET for package including FIllipula

#45 Racki
January 29 2010, 07:14PM

As far Hemsky, my 3 teams I'd call (and there may be some extra players/picks that need to be added to either side of the deal to get it done):

St. Louis for Alex Pietrangelo

NYR for Marc Staal

Ott for Anton Volchenkov

Or to sum up, call up someone who can help our blue line. I think we're fine at forward, but could really use a stalwart on the blue line.

#46 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 29 2010, 07:21PM

Interesting turn on Penner. 12 months ago the majority of people wanted him in the A, now they wouldn't trade him for the 3rd overall?

The guy was on fire to start, and he's even "looked" ok lately, but his production has fallen off the map.

I like what the guy brings to the team but:

3rd overall >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penner.

#47 Dave
January 29 2010, 07:24PM
Oilfan2010 wrote:

Look, I've been dismayed at times at what I perceive to be a dismissive, elitest,entitled and arrogant tone to RB's writing however one day not too long ago I happened to be at a function with my family where I was watching my daughter play with a large warm grin across my face. I noticed what I assume to be RB's wife and son playing in the same area and looked over to see RB with the same warm grin across his mug. That was a moment I realized I can sometimes let my passions get the better of me and to be mindful not to cross the line when expressing a different opinion. You just lept over that line and if I was RB I would be tempted to take legal action against you for liable(sp). There is nothing funny about that accusation, you are a douche,no something worse than a douche, like re-douche.

#48 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 29 2010, 07:26PM

1. Souray - I'd look for either a first rounder and a salary dump or a quality defensive dman or 3rd line center in that 24 - 28 range (Greene/Boyton).

2. Bye Dustin

3. Hemsky

A. Like every year their will be 1/2 stars moved this summer, I'd try to move Hemsky as the centerpiece fo the star (maybe say Kopitar if LA picks up Kovalchuk)

B. For a 24 - 28 "all around dman" a poor mans Chris Pronger if you will.... call it Brent Burns.

C. If the first two don't pan out I'd look for a top 6 power forward and a 3C maybe Backes and Steen from St Louis.

#49 GideanYates
January 29 2010, 07:32PM

Souray's not likely to fetch much more than a 2nd rounder. He looks to be on the downside of his career, his cap hit of 5.4M for the next two years is much higher than what he brings in today's market, and his 5 on 5 play is weak.

I absolutely make the Penner for the 3rd overall pick if it's offered - the Oil need to do a proper rebuild

If Ales asks to leave then I call Chicago ASAP and figure out how to manage Ales cap hit for them while I would like to see two of either of Byfuglien/Barker/Seabrook. If not Chi town then I speak to Washington and see about Karl Alzner. Next I'd call Phoenix and see about Keith Yandle.

#50 Crash
January 29 2010, 07:48PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I like what the guy brings to the team but:

3rd overall >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Penner.

Another reason why our team never becomes an elite team....the fans of this team ALWAYS want to unload guys once they reach age 26 and start over with a draft pick or a prospect and the cycle goes on and on....why don't we sign some of our higher end talent beyond age 26 and keep them instead of throwing long term money at guys like Moreau, Pisani, Horcoff.

It sickens me now that we still have people that want Hemsky moved...yah, why not, he's what? 25? and clearly our best player. Good teams need good players not an endless merry go round where we unload our top end guys all the time at age 26/27 for picks or younger players. So yah I guess we move Penner our top scorer and start over with Fowler...great, just great. And hey when Fowler gets close to turning 25 then we can unload him too.

No freaking wonder we never become an elite team.