Armchair GM VII: Who farted?

Robin Brownlee
January 29 2010 04:25PM

"You stink!" "You stink worse!" This, in essence, is what the Battle of Alberta has come down to. With the Edmonton Oilers winless in 12 games and the Calgary Flames getting no sniff in the last nine, tomorrow night's meeting in Cowtown shapes up like a purse fight. A slapping match.

So numb are some fans during a faceplant that now stands at 0-10-2 after Thursday's 2-1 loss to St. Louis, they're taking solace in knowing the Flames will show up Saturday with their asses in the breeze and their pants around their knees in the middle of a 0-6-3 embarrassment.

Given the circumstances, I guess there's something to be said for that schadenfreude thing, but on top of taking comfort in Calgary's sudden and shocking ineptitude, I'm thinking fans might be in for a helluva game.

Just when it looks like the fight has been taken out of the Oilers — and it has looked that way — I wouldn't be surprised if they, and the Flames for that matter, show up for the puck drop hacked off and ready to go.

I'd like to think both teams are sick of gagging on the stench of defeat and that both outfits could stand to blow off some steam. That could make for a memorable tilt. And, it says here, another Oilers loss that runs the Dirty Dozen to Unlucky 13.

That would set up Monday's game against Carolina at Rexall Place, the NHL version of The Biggest Loser, quite nicely.

You call the shots

With GM Steve Tambellini locked in the fetal position and unlikely to pull the trigger on anything except the handgun he's been putting in his mouth when he's home alone — no commitment there, either — I'd like to pick your brains about some scenarios he might be facing between now and July 1.

  • Sheldon Souray has provided the list of teams he's be willing to waive his no-movement clause for in a trade. The teams include Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim. Keeping in mind the salary cap, who do you ask for when you pick up the telephone and talk to Joe Nieuwendyk, Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray? Please, resist the urge to make suggestions that amount to dry-fisting the aforementioned GMs.
  • The lottery is done and the Oilers, after finishing 30th, retain first pick in the lottery. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford has the third pick behind Edmonton and Toronto (which goes to Boston). Rutherford offers you his pick straight up for Dustin Penner. Do you make that deal?
  • Agent Jiri Crha puts in a call the day after the Entry Draft and informs you Ales Hemsky wants to be traded. After you sh*t yourself, which three teams do you call and who do you ask for?

A new angle?

While it goes without saying it's difficult for anybody in the Oilers line-up to distinguish themselves with the team face down in a puddle of puke, I've got to admit I haven't liked the looks of Jeff Deslauriers in weeks.

I've gone on the record repeatedly saying I like Deslauriers willingness to battle. I think, against most odds, he's shown he can be an NHL goaltender, but he's got some flaws in his technique that are alarming.

First, his angles. There's no way Deslauriers should be giving up goals on the short side, like he has in his last two games. He's either playing too deep in the net or losing the angle altogether. Probably both.

Second, Deslauriers is an atrocious puck-handler. I've known that since he fed Joffrey Lupul a gimme in the slot during an AHL game between the Edmonton Roadrunners and Cincinnati Mighty Ducks at The Pond during the lockout, but six years later? Either learn how to handle the puck or leave the damn thing alone.

If Deslauriers doesn't perform markedly better than Devan Dubnyk in the Oilers remaining games, he's going to make it impossible to justify keeping him ahead of Dubnyk. I expected him to be better than this.

This and that

  • There aren't a lot of issues I disagree with Bob Stauffer on, but his suggestion signing Jaromir Jagr might be a good thing for the Oilers in the sense it could take pressure off the younger players, like say a Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, in the short-term is one of them. So, what, we're going to pay $4-5 million for a babysitter now? And what pressure? This team will be, or should be, in rebuild mode until the start of the 2012-13 season.
  • We haven't heard an official update on the status of Nikolai Khabibulin since surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. There are whispers, none I can trace back to team sources, there's some obvious doubt a 37-year-old like Khabibulin will come back from the surgery. Should I feel guilty for not feeling that's a bad thing?
  • If you think I'm being pessimistic by saying it'll take the rest of this season and two more to do a proper rebuild, think again. Agent Ritch Winter phoned me twice Wednesday while I was on the air with Jason Gregor, pitching the same seven-year timeline he sold Rob Tychkowski at The Sun a week or so ago. Sorry, Ritch. Not buying it.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#201 Tyler
January 30 2010, 12:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is my favourite complaint. How dare you adapt your thinking to the available information of the day! You should make a pick and stick with it no matter how wrong you are eventually proven. To do otherwise would make you wishy-washy.

You're misinterpreting my point. I don't have a problem with Brownlee changing his view on JDD. What I find funny is this:

a) Initially says that JDD has proven something in the last ten games

b) When I point out that ten games is nothing, then he says that it's not about ten games, it's about the eight years he's watched and talked to him.

I don't think you get that from reading his initial piece but fair enough.

c) Now he abandons him because of six bad games?

I can understand changing your view as more information becomes available. Robin didn't just do that. He vacillated between the short term mattering and not mattering, in order to support whatever his point was. That's the point I'm driving at.

Avatar
#202 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 30 2010, 12:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tyler wrote:

I didn't say Brownlee was any of those things. I was referring to ideas and dealt with the content. That's generally considered fair game in debate, although I wouldn't do it in court.

if you have such an issue with brownlee, why are you still here?

other than the obvious reason of trying to make yourself look smart. hint: it isn't working

Avatar
#203 Pokey Reddock
January 30 2010, 12:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I have been an ON avid reader for a long time, and only chime in from time to time.

ON is great because it allows everyone to share their opinions; some great, some absurd.

I read from this site because it is not so absurdly biased such as the Oilers website.

So Robin was Wrong about JDD, at least he admitted it.

Tyler I like your stuff too, and while I don't agree with everything either of you two, or anyone says, they help me make my own informed opinions. Who cares who's right and whos wrong; They are Opinions, and this website was designed for discussion, not hurling monkey shit at eachother.

PS. Looking forward to going to the Carolina game on Monday. I'll be the guy whereing a toilet seat around their neck.

PPS. If we have the choice between Hall or Seguin I choose Hall; he seems to be the best AVAILABLE player; please let's not pick what the Oilers need now.

PPPS. It would be fun to see the Oil win tonight and keep the Flames fan freaking out about their slowly sinking ship...

Avatar
#204 Crooked
January 30 2010, 12:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So... the Oilers are doing so poorly that fans are turning on the journalists now? hahaha... what the hell?

Avatar
#205 Archaeologuy
January 30 2010, 12:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Tyler

But what was his point in this latest article? To suggest that JDD will never be an NHL talent? I dont think that's what he was saying at all.

From what I read, I gathered that he was dissappointed by JDD's play and that if he continued to play this way the Oilers would be forced to keep DD over JDD if they were forced to choose.

Nowhere in his latest piece did I read anything to suggest he didnt think that the kid has it in him to succeed. Just that if his recent play doesnt improve the Oil would probably leave him open to waiver wire on his way down to Springfield next season instead of DD.

Avatar
#206 Kiaser Wilhelm
January 30 2010, 12:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I've seem more mature debates on Family Guy and The Simpsons. Kudos to the three of you who actually care enough about the hockey team to ignore the idiots and comment on the article.

As for the rest of you, go find a nice cliff to jump off of. Alternatively, go back to your World of Warcraft universe.

Keep up the good work RB; you're a great listen and a better read.

Avatar
#208 Pokey Reddock
January 30 2010, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I seem to like Dubnyk better as of late even though he has no wins.

JDD seems to hang back in his net too much rather than come out and give the shooter less to shout at! He's huge, he should make better use of the size. Also, he gets beat upstairs too much!

Dubnyk, has looked better but maybe that's because his confidence is not shot like JDD's yet. Maybe he is just happy to be here still...

I guess we'll see over the next 29 games who's more ready to stay....

Avatar
#209 Pokey Reddock
January 30 2010, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Hey Robin do you see any reason why they wouldn't start Dubnyk tonight?

Also, do you think either of these guys has a legit possibilty of being a starter in the future?

Avatar
#210 Eddie Shore
January 30 2010, 12:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

After reading all that garbage spewed by Vic Ferrari I'm actually quite surprised that Willis has such high praise for him.

@ Tyler & Vic

Why are you here? I mean, obviously you guys aren't overly enthused with the articles written by the writers here. So again, why are you here?

Avatar
#211 chris
January 30 2010, 01:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

1. I'd trade Souray to LA for Jack Johnson 2. Yes I'd trade Penner to the Hurricanes for that 3rd pick (Fowler and Johnson to build the backend around....pretty good I think) 3. Hemsky - I'd phone boston and package hemsky (if needed) with either cogs or a draft pick next year for Sequin or Hall (whichever we didn't draft)

This is an unrealistic dream, but man that would be exciting to watch all these kids grow together! Talk about a fast rebuild.

Avatar
#213 BUCK75
January 30 2010, 01:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

After reading all that garbage spewed by Vic Ferrari I'm actually quite surprised that Willis has such high praise for him.

@ Tyler & Vic

Why are you here? I mean, obviously you guys aren't overly enthused with the articles written by the writers here. So again, why are you here?

I have been trying to take the high road, but 150 comments bashing Robin is starting to get old.

X2

Avatar
#214 Slats - "a fair observer"
January 30 2010, 01:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Tyler Whether you like it or not Tyler - Robin, Mr. Brownlee, RFB or whatever - the man has some credibility for writing sports. Not sure what profession you are in, but if you get to do something for years and get paid for it - it's not really because "his buddies" are keeping him a float but perhaps he is good at it. He deserves respect for that. Observers of the ON give him that - you choose not to.

Back to the real discussion of JDD. I don't think he's ready to be an NHL starter. Many of the reasons have been pointed out in the article - the most glaring I think is his angles (which is a fundamentals issue) and he's not really good playing the puck. The latter is not really his skill with the puck but it's more his decisions with it and the puck usually is turned over.

Avatar
#216 Eddie Shore
January 30 2010, 01:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You mean there are actually 63 comments about what I wrote?

What? You mean there is an article somehwere here? Sh!t. I gotta read that.

Avatar
#217 Pokey Reddock
January 30 2010, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Pokey: I think both do. Deslauriers, at his best, looked to me like he'd shown he could -- I think the term I used was "a capable starter." I based that on a short stretch bolstered by what I'd seen from him in the past, including some very good performances (though not always good numbers) in the minors. He's fallen off that now and the reality is, with so few games remaining, he's only got 12-17 more starts to convince management he should stick around next season.

I like Dubnyk's fundamentals better. He plays bigger than Jeff because he doesn't hang so far back in the net. He's a superior puck-handler (everybody is). It looks to me like he has better feet. We'll have to see how mentally tough Dubnyk is playing behind such a bad team, although he got some experience with that in Kamloops and Springfield.

Robin I am assuming that it is easier for a young Goaltender to get his feet wet in the league and break him in with a good team (e.g. Chicago)and a proven starter to mentor. Or does it show what your made of if you can stick it out with a bad team and play well? From your experience what is the optimal scenario? Is the learning curve faster if your thrown into the fire? Or is it more detrimental to the long term development of the player? All I know is that the game doesn't look fun to JDD anymore. And, frow what I can see, we don't seem to be getting better in net It must not be easy knowing you cann't let more than 1 or 2 goals in each game to have a chance at winning.

Avatar
#219 GSC
January 30 2010, 01:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Of course Tyler is going to throw dirt on Brownlee any chance he can get, he's just another math blogger who wishes he had a shred of the credibility that Robin possesses.

We get it, Dellow. You want attention, but you already get it from Willis on here whenever he feels like writing a "told you so" piece. That's all you guys are good for. Now, go back to your stats.

Avatar
#220 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 01:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

A fair debate or exchange that includes you using words like "dumb", "stupid", and "incomprehensible"?

Oh yeah, quite the debate skills you have.

Look, I think those guys have gone well beyond what was necessary to make their point, but it sounds like you are pretending that Brownlee is above using those exact words. I hope you aren't being serious.

At least Tyler used them in reference to statements made by Brownlee instead of Brownlee himself, which is a courtesy not always given by Robin.

I don't really care either way, but try to keep the goose and the gander in mind when defending Brownlee.

Avatar
#221 dragon
January 30 2010, 01:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

After reading all that garbage spewed by Vic Ferrari I'm actually quite surprised that Willis has such high praise for him.

@ Tyler & Vic

Why are you here? I mean, obviously you guys aren't overly enthused with the articles written by the writers here. So again, why are you here?

isn't it painfully obvious why they are here? they 're trying to increase their audience...

and by painfully I meant scrolling through so much bulls@#t...God...

yes, it was obvious for all of us here that Robin had to admit JDD is less than good lately.

so what's the point in stating the obvious in more then one line...the point is you want to make it a mud-slinging match hoping you'll attract some spectators.

in all fairness to JDD,Rolli had a tough time too with Goatbreshkov dishing pucks to the opposition to...too bad JDD and DD cannot rip a new one to some of these so-called vets.

fun goes on.

Avatar
#222 Archaeologuy
January 30 2010, 02:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@TigerUnderGlass

I dont mind the back and forth jabber, but when these guys are claiming some sort of argumentative superiority despite having almost nothing behind their arguments except name calling then I dont mind calling them on it.

Brownlee didnt claim to be a great debater while using the most basic of false arguments. The trolls however did.

Some basic reading comprehension skills could have helped the complainers who tried to jump on Brownlee for "abandoning" JDD when he really did no such thing.

I'm not even so much defending Brownlee as I am pointing out some terrible brand of argument built on misinterpretation and hyperbole.

And dont defend Tyler for only referring to RB's ideas as Dumb or Stupid instead of using those words to refer to RB himself. Can you honestly tell me you dont think that by doing so Tyler was also saying that RB was Stupid? No.

Avatar
#223 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 02:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

I dont mind the back and forth jabber, but when these guys are claiming some sort of argumentative superiority despite having almost nothing behind their arguments except name calling then I dont mind calling them on it.

Brownlee didnt claim to be a great debater while using the most basic of false arguments. The trolls however did.

Some basic reading comprehension skills could have helped the complainers who tried to jump on Brownlee for "abandoning" JDD when he really did no such thing.

I'm not even so much defending Brownlee as I am pointing out some terrible brand of argument built on misinterpretation and hyperbole.

And dont defend Tyler for only referring to RB's ideas as Dumb or Stupid instead of using those words to refer to RB himself. Can you honestly tell me you dont think that by doing so Tyler was also saying that RB was Stupid? No.

I can, because that is exactly what I think.

Tyler doesn't think RB is stupid or he wouldn't bother.

Avatar
#224 GSC
January 30 2010, 02:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

After reading all that garbage spewed by Vic Ferrari I'm actually quite surprised that Willis has such high praise for him.

@ Tyler & Vic

Why are you here? I mean, obviously you guys aren't overly enthused with the articles written by the writers here. So again, why are you here?

Of course Willis has high praise for him, he's another math/stats guy. Birds of the same feather flock together.

They're all about having to be "correct" and having to rub it in everyone's face. Again, read their blog posts and look at who they link when they present "evidence." They link to each other, it's so damned obvious to see what's going on.

Avatar
#225 OilW30
January 30 2010, 02:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tyler wrote:

While I think the numbers guys are a little sure of themselves sometimes...

In fairness, this little kerfuffle arose out of Robin asserting that JDD had shoved it up the backside of his critics and proved he was a legitimate NHL starter. So even if we concede that the numbers guys are a little too sure sometimes, that frailty doesn't seem to be limited to numbers guys.

Agreed.

Avatar
#226 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@GSC

Again, read their blog posts and look at who they link when they present "evidence." They link to each other, it's so damned obvious to see what's going on.

Wait....

Are you suggesting that people who agree with each other would reference each other for support?

A dastardly conspiracy indeed.

Avatar
#227 Eddie Shore
January 30 2010, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
GSC wrote:

Of course Willis has high praise for him, he's another math/stats guy. Birds of the same feather flock together.

They're all about having to be "correct" and having to rub it in everyone's face. Again, read their blog posts and look at who they link when they present "evidence." They link to each other, it's so damned obvious to see what's going on.

I suppose that is my point. I don't really buy into all their stats so I don't read their blogs.

Better yet, you don't see me over there saying they are stupid because I disagree with them.

Avatar
#228 Eddie Shore
January 30 2010, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
Again, read their blog posts and look at who they link when they present "evidence." They link to each other, it's so damned obvious to see what's going on.

Wait....

Are you suggesting that people who agree with each other would reference each other for support?

A dastardly conspiracy indeed.

So because they all agree with each other it means that they are all right? That is a skewed way to view the world isn't it?

Avatar
#229 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 02:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Eddie Shore

Please point out the part of my post where I said or even hinted at anything to do with being right or wrong?

I'd guess the world is even more skewed for people lacking basic reading comprehension skills.

Avatar
#230 Tyler
January 30 2010, 02:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This is what I said on my site when I wrote about this after Robin's last defence of JDD:

I think that Robin is a fine writer and good journalist. I just think he’s lousy at analysis.

That's exactly what I think. I think you'd be hardpressed to find any instances in which I've said that he's stupid - I don't. Robin's, at the very least, familiar with my blog - like a lot of the smarter media guys, he's been reading blogs for a long time. I'm sure what I think comes as no surprise to him - I've written variants of it probably 15-20 times in the past four years.

I just think that he's not so good at stuff like career paths and when we've seen enough of a trend to believe something is real. He's in good company there - people who run hockey teams thought that the 2008 run to end the season was the real deal. I hold him in higher esteem than pretty much anyone else covering the Oilers other than Barnes.

It just galls me that a guy who is obviously not dumb is so aggressively wrong about certain stuff and then playing games with shifting rationales for his opinions and threats. Maybe it's a schtick, I dunno - ON pays the writers for hits and I assume that this is a pretty well trafficked thread, even though it was furtively posted at 5PM on a Friday.

Avatar
#231 Pokey Reddock
January 30 2010, 02:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hmmmmm....

Just waiting for some more relevant Oiler talk.....

Anybody....please.....

How about Cogliano possibly sitting out.....

I personally would rather see Nilsson ride the pine and Cogs given more first line time. He's got more heart than Nilsson who rarely makes an effort.

Avatar
#232 Eddie Shore
January 30 2010, 02:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Please point out the part of my post where I said or even hinted at anything to do with being right or wrong?

I'd guess the world is even more skewed for people lacking basic reading comprehension skills.

Are they going to reference each other being wrong?

Avatar
#233 Tyler
January 30 2010, 02:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

He's not going to actually prove anything in 20 games, unless he rips off 20 shutouts or something far enough away from his norm that you can state with some confidence that something has rendered the past evidence untrustworthy. He might prove it to the satisfaction of the Oilers but that's not quite the same thing. Whatever JDD does in his next twenty games is going to be an awfully small piece of evidence although the Oilers will undoubtedly weight it too much.

With that said, I don't disagree with you that his career in Edmonton should be on the line at the moment. One easy thing for Tambo to improve would be cutting bait on guys in a more timely fashion. JFJ and JDD are litmus tests in that regard.

Avatar
#234 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 02:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Eddie Shore

I have to assume you're joking now because nobody is that dense.

Avatar
#235 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Tyler

I have serious doubts that Tambellini is capable of cutting bait.

Avatar
#236 frat boy with close-set eyes
January 30 2010, 02:58PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Yea Gunner! you tell those nerds and dweebs whats up

Avatar
#237 TigerUnderGlass
January 30 2010, 03:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sweet. Just got the message that I have box seats for tonight's game. I can't wait to watch the Alberta mega wonder championship bowl to decide the championship of the world.

This will also be the first time in weeks that I will cheer for the Oilers to win, so they better win. I am taking my Flames fan brother in law and I couldn't stand being near him if the Flames win.

Avatar
#238 Pajamah
January 30 2010, 03:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

"It's not the being wrong, it's how incomprehensible it all is and how much the rationale shifts to fit whatever the facts are at a given time."

This is my favourite complaint. How dare you adapt your thinking to the available information of the day! You should make a pick and stick with it no matter how wrong you are eventually proven. To do otherwise would make you wishy-washy.

What a load of sh*t.

Its the same as the people who can boast they knew "Horcoff was crap" and disappear when he starts to produce.

And its even prevalent here, bash on the underachievers, but avoid commenting when the player starts to pick up his game.

"I friggen knew Penner was a fantastic player" generally only comes from the " Penner is a super donair away from a stroke" guys 6 months earlier.

I hate to call on internet commenters to have open minds, because that isnt what makes most of these sites readable.

Personally, I'm glad RB has the cojones to retract what he said, most established writers wouldnt

Avatar
#239 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
January 30 2010, 03:40PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Well that was an absolute mess.

Avatar
#240 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
January 30 2010, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Well that was an absolute mess.

that's what she said

Avatar
#241 VK63
January 30 2010, 04:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Sweet. Just got the message that I have box seats for tonight's game. I can't wait to watch the Alberta mega wonder championship bowl to decide the championship of the world.

This will also be the first time in weeks that I will cheer for the Oilers to win, so they better win. I am taking my Flames fan brother in law and I couldn't stand being near him if the Flames win.

In the spirit of the day just punch him out before the game..... just to be safe.

Avatar
#242 Skidplate
January 30 2010, 04:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hockey talk:

Cammalleri may be out long term in Montreal. Not much on that team for us to trade with, unless we want a goalie.

Anaheim signed Hillier 4 year $18 mil, thats a lot of money tied up in goalies. Maybe Wanye knows something and Giggy is coming here.

Wanye should start a website for hockey talk and trade rumors.......

Avatar
#243 ned flanders
January 30 2010, 04:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'd like to pick your brains about some scenarios he might be facing between now and July 1.

Sheldon Souray has provided the list of teams he's be willing to waive his no-movement clause for in a trade. The teams include Dallas, Los Angeles and Anaheim. Keeping in mind the salary cap, who do you ask for when you pick up the telephone and talk to Joe Nieuwendyk, Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray? Please, resist the urge to make suggestions that amount to dry-fisting the aforementioned GMs. The lottery is done and the Oilers, after finishing 30th, retain first pick in the lottery. Carolina GM Jim Rutherford has the third pick behind Edmonton and Toronto (which goes to Boston). Rutherford offers you his pick straight up for Dustin Penner. Do you make that deal? Agent Jiri Crha puts in a call the day after the Entry Draft and informs you Ales Hemsky wants to be traded. After you sh*t yourself, which three teams do you call and who do you ask for?

Re Souray Dallas: James Neal straight up or Benn + 2nd LA : Simmonds + 3rd or 1st + solid defense prospect Anaheim : 1st + 2nd + 4th for Souray + Oilers 2nd.

Re: Penner You could hope for Carolina's pick to be better than Penner eventually, but I think most would be satisfied if that pick ended up as effective as he is now. There is going to be a massive youth movement already and not all will develop. Better to keep Penner to show the way when the current old guard is gone and give good interviews.

Re: Hemsky If he wants out I sh*t myself, don't clean up, drive over my phone twice, go to the liquor store and buy half the inventory, then lock myself in a room with cheetos and porn. After three weeks I shower, go to church then call Hemsky's agent begging him to reconsider. If that doesn't work I'd repeat the cycle.

Avatar
#244 Harlie
January 30 2010, 05:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

that's what she said

sounds like the Red Wings were in town.

Avatar
#245 Chamucks Deluxe
January 30 2010, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I just don't understand the vehement bashing going on. Why does this have to be a scrap? Settle differences outside of the comments section of a website for fans.

I enjoy pretty well every major Oilers blog out there, BDHS, Lowetide, MC79 and of course ON (and more). I use all of these great fonts of information to formulate my own opinions as well as to gain a greater understanding of the game. But this? Personal attacks? On a public website? Vic "possibly" refering to Dakin as a pervert? What in the blue hell does this accomplish? I'm not specifically standing up for anyone individual, more the integrity of out online community. If you have a problem with someone you don't stand on their porch and bitch at them, you call them up and talk about it, man to man. This public of a bashing is just ugly, and hell, 12 year olds on video game forums know what a troll is- I'm surprised grown men most likely with family and careers don't.

To Vic, you seemed dickish before, kinda thought that made your writing interesting but this? That's terrible.

Avatar
#246 JB
January 30 2010, 10:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What Chamucks Deluxe said. Watching a bunch of dudes on a message board try to have a d*&k-measuring contest with a journalist would be great fun if we were discussing something important, but this is sports. Enjoy it for what it is: a diversion.

Robin's potential scenarios are interesting, but the discussion was hijacked by a bunch of BS. More hockey talk, less garbage please.

Comments are closed for this article.