Pipeline #1

Lowetide
October 18 2010 05:12PM

That's Kyle Beach (left) being interviewed by Guy Flaming. The Pipeline Show is gaining recognition for their exceptional coverage of junior and college hockey along with outstanding pre-draft and draft coverage. Flaming and Dean Millard have created an outlet for players and coaches who rarely get noticed, and offer the hockey fan the earliest look available at the future of the game.

I met Guy Flaming several years ago when he came to Team 1260 with an idea. He felt there was an audience for a radio show that would showcase the game's best draft eligibles and to pay special attention to the Oilers and their prospects.

It has grown from there to include a wider range (especially NCAA hockey), with a popular blog (here) and a very busy home site with downloads (here).

I talked to Guy about his show earlier this month.

How early do you get a “feel” for the elite players in each draft year?

One of the major “goals” we have on The Pipeline Show is to introduce future NHL stars to the masses before they are household names. The most obvious way that we do that is by having these players on the show as guests; one guy who is eligible for the next NHL Entry Draft is booked on almost every episode of TPS.

Both Dean and I are in regular contact with a bunch of scouts, coaches and GMs from a variety of league levels that we know so we’re always picking brains and getting more opinions. Because we focus so much on the CHL, we’re watching a lot of guys in their draft year and by then we know them pretty well. But while we concentrate on the draft eligible guys a lot, there are also a ton of teammates who are 16 or 17 that we see at the same time. That’s where we start getting that “feel”, when we see them break into the junior ranks.

To some degree, the Bantam draft might be considered our starting line, and that’s two years before a player is in his NHL draft year. Plus, unlike the vast majority of sports media that is in a NHL market, we’re at junior hockey events all the time. Speaking strictly for me, 90% of the games I take in live during the season are Major Junior, Jr. A or CIS games. That’s not meant to be a knock on the rest of the media but doing The Pipeline Show means my priorities are outside of the NHL.

Have you ever thought of releasing your own “Pipeline top 100” ala ISS or Redline report?

We have considered it. Dean and I actually discussed it at the beginning of September and we might do it in the future. There are pros and cons to doing it and I’ll admit I’m more leery of it that Dean is. I’m not 100% comfortable making a list where I am ranking players the majority of which I have not viewed live in person.

I would be OK doing a WHL list but that’s different because I follow and report on the league regularly. The players in the OHL, QMJHL, USHL, NCAA and Europe though - that’s obviously a different story.

Do I have opinions on those players? Absolutely but they are formed over the course of the season after talking to a number of different people who are in a position to watch them live. We take advantage of our ability to talk to the players on our show, and sometimes their coaches, but to get to know them as players we speak with people who are paid to watch and evaluate them.

That’s not to say we don’t watch out of market games on TV or online, but I am not one of those people who believes you can get an accurate read on a player’s overall game from that. You can’t see how that player performs away from the puck, how he interacts with his teammates, the officials, how he warms up during the pre-game skate, what he does as preparation before the games or any of the other intangibles you discover when you are there in person.

That’s a long answer to a short question but suffice to say that “We have thought about it, haven’t done it yet but might down the road.”

What makes your show unique?

The Pipeline Show is unique in a few ways but the biggest is because of our focus on the future of the NHL as opposed to the present. Our basic guideline for players we discuss is “NHL rookies and everyone down”. NHL sophomores are pretty much the limit for us.

That’s not to say that we won’t have someone like Shawn Horcoff on the show but when we did it wasn’t to talk about why the Oiler’s power play was sputtering or if there was a rift in the dressing room. With Horcoff we talked about growing up in BC and deciding that the NCAA route was the right path to the NHL for him and what it was like to play 4 years at Michigan State.

We’ve had Hall of Famers like Ron Francis and Luc Robitaille on the show and they loved looking back on their CHL days with the Soo Greyhounds and Hull Olympiques respectively. Patrick Roy reflecting on never winning a Memorial Cup with Granby because they got stomped by Laval and some kid named Mario Lemieux - those types of stories are what I feel make The Pipeline Show unique.

Then there is the fact that, as far as we know, we’re the only program in Canada that dedicates a segment of every show to NCAA hockey. I see you’ve asked me about that later on so I’ll explain that decision in a bit.

Your outstanding work on The Pipeline Show has given us a glimpse into scouting and the people associated with that part of the hockey world. How is Chris McCarthy (former Oilers scout) and what is he up to?

The last time I talked to Chris was in August and he told me he was headed back to University (not sure which one) to get his law degree. I think his plan is to eventually return to hockey in a management capacity at some level. I applaud him.

We’re about the same age (I’m closing in on 40 which feels old unless I’m around you, Al) and I can’t imagine going back to school to become a lawyer at this point in my life. His son Cameron is still a young guy and I’m sure Chris will enjoy being closer to home in January instead of driving down a snowy road to Moose Jaw or Rimouski.

I know you don’t follow the Oilers prospects as closely as you used to, but have you seen a change in the way the scouting department does business since Stu MacGregor was elevated to the top job?

First, I should clarify what I told you on the phone when you called about doing this Q&A. I told you that I’m not really the Oiler prospect guy anymore but that doesn’t mean I don’t follow them. What I should have said was that since I left Hockey’s Future a couple of years ago, I’m not concentrating on just the Oilers like I once did.

I still follow them but not much more than I do for the other 29 NHL teams.That said, YES I have noticed some changes in the Oilers over the last couple of years. I don’t know that it is so much a Stu MacGregor thing though. I’ve had a strong relationship with the scouting staff and in years past I’ve been fortunate enough to have met up with a few guys on the road and taken in games here and there.

You have off the record conversations and discuss things that never see print and that’s how a level of trust and rapport is established. In past years I have been able to get a pretty good feel for who was or wasn’t on the radar when it came to the NHL Draft.

That’s why I wasn’t surprised in 2007 about Alex Plante, he was my prediction for them in my HF preview that year and was soundly roasted for it by many readers. It’s also why I was convinced (wrongly) that the player they were trading up to get that same year was Mikael Backlund instead of Riley Nash so “inside knowledge” isn’t infallible.

What’s changed is that last year no one was saying anything when it came to Hall/Seguin, at least not to me. With the other picks it was far less cloak and dagger (Pitlick, Hamilton) but in regards to that #1 pick it was “I’m sorry Guy but I’m not talking about the 1st overall” and that was new.

Since then I’ve learned, and I think that it’s public knowledge, that the scouting staff didn’t know with 100% certainty which name Steve Tambellini was going to announce at the podium until the morning of the draft. It was a very closely guarded secret that the team was not going to risk leaking and I can respect that  and they did a great job of it. In terms of the day-to-day operations and protocols of the scouting staff and if that’s changed over the last few years, I think the biggest thing I can glean is that the chain of command is absolute.

Lots of guys last year told me that they rarely had any contact with Steve Tambellini during the season; everything came to them from MacGregor. That is a stark difference from the days when Kevin Lowe and Kevin Prendergast headed things up and the GM would frequently contact the scouts or attend games of the AHL affiliate. I’m told Tambellini rarely spoke with the scouts until the Oilers season was over and only made a single appearance in Springfield and barely spoke with anyone while he was there.

So, I know there have been changes but I get the feeling that they are more a product of the way the new GM does things as opposed to decisions from MacGregor.

More to come in part 2

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Stone Hands McOsta
October 18 2010, 10:39PM

Dearest OilersNation Comments Modifier;

FIST off, I want to say that I like all the hard work from all the staff & especially the bloggers on this site. I think you guys do a fantastic job at keeping the website attractive to keep the fans of Oilers Nation coming back for more.

However, there are traditions at this site that should be respected through and through. I know there are whiny people who do not appreciate a true "FISTing" and they think of it as stupid and unethical (I would never argue against that)...

However, do you know where the first FISTING came from?? People have been "firsting" blogs, newsletters and reports ever since comment sections where invented back in Lowetide's youth. Its a fact....On popular sites where serious traffic is generated, people take pride in being the very first person to notice, respond and comment on what has been reported.

It just so happens that "FIST" became popular from an over-zealous Oilers fan that was so excited to be the first to comment on one of these outstanding blogs, that he forgot to spell First correctly and forgot the R. The rest is history...

As Fist has evolved, people have hated and people have liked. I for one, have a great deal of respect for the Oilers Nation members that follow this site sacrilegiously and end up getting rewarded for such great stocking of this blog, to be able to carry on the tradition and be ballsy enough (knowing repercussion is bound to happen) and posting a flat out FIST.

Remember, its the fans that make this site what it is. And for whoever it was that deleted that fine FISTING of this post, shame on you.

Its the FIST's, the Squee's and the Justin Beiber obsessions that us die hard Oiler Nation fans appreciate for being just that, a ridiculous inside joke from our favorite hockey teams best blog.

This isn't MSM, and keep it that way!

With kind regards,

Stone Hands McOsta

#3 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
October 19 2010, 08:48AM
David S wrote:

I prefer to think of it as "Idiots of the FIST degree".

Of course what do I know. Madjam agreed with one of my posts so I may be the biggest idiot of all.

Right then. Carry on chaps.

ahhhhhh FYOB!!!

The fist will always be around, make point that you don't like it... and we'll probley just pepper you with the FISTing of a lifetime.

squee squee

squee squee

#4 smiliegirl15
October 19 2010, 08:49AM

Didn't Wanye create the first fist when he creatively edited someone's first post to fist in response to all the first bashing going on around here?

#5 freeze
October 19 2010, 08:50AM

I can't get behind the fisting for the sake of fisting.

I only approve of a good fisting when a real comment about the article is involved.

#6 freeze
October 19 2010, 09:47AM
Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement wrote:

What if the FISTing is used in a clever saying/statement that may or may naht be involving the article itself.

I guess exceptions should be made for a good LOL. A plain 'FIST' doesn't cover it.

It would be great if we had an Engadget comment system where comments can be voted down until they disappear.

#7 book¡e
October 19 2010, 10:08AM

I am old and curmudgeony and I tend to complain about lots of things. I would normally think of myself as someone who would be bothered by 'Fist'

However, I am even more bothered by places (including virtual places like ON) drifting into placelessness with no unique character.

Fist is unique to this site and a lot of people enjoy it - in addition, a lot of people enjoy hating it and bitching about it. So, why would anyone ever remove it? If anything, lets see it evolve. To hasten the evolution, I suggest that we hasten the evolution of Fist to its obvious endpoint - "Festivus". So, from now on the first posting of any ON story would contain the word Festivus.

Why Festivus? Because it is simply ridiculous and I want to make people visiting here to think they have landed on a cult site (an awesome cult site). Also, I think that only truly angry people could complain about Festivus.

#8 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 19 2010, 11:37AM

Yeah, like other people said. Fist is part of ON's identity. You don't like it, go first yourself.

#9 Gerald R. Ford
October 19 2010, 12:50PM

"THIS... is Frank Costanza.

You think you can keep Fistivus out of Oilers Nation? We're moving in LOCK, STOCK, and BARREL.

We're gonna be in the pool.

We're gonna be in the club house.

We're gonna be ALL OVER that shuffleboard court!

And I DARE YOU to keep us out!"

#10 Jeremy
October 18 2010, 05:32PM

Great read LT. Love hearing stuff from Guy, loved his show, and it's great to hear another side of the Hall-Seguin "cloak and dagger" aspect to the draft.

#12 Wanye
October 18 2010, 06:27PM
Lowetide wrote:

I don't know who did the "cleanup on aisle 3" but thanks!! MUCH easier to read now.

No worries LT. You know your ol pal Wanye has your back 24/7/365 - 366 in a leap year.

#13 Tayranchula
October 18 2010, 07:00PM

Kyle Beach is possibly the biggest spazz i have ever met and just a moron...Probably going to have his career end like Deadmarsh's...going to fight some big dman cuz he did something small to him then get knocked out

#14 RossCreekNation
October 18 2010, 08:14PM

Good stuff, LT... and Guy.

#15 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 18 2010, 09:32PM

Good read.

I'm happy to hear about Tambo too. He's taking hold of this organization.

#16 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 18 2010, 09:34PM
Wanye wrote:

What happened? Did Stone Hands McOsta devise an elaborate scheme in order to get all the comments deleted so he could get FISTed or did he just plain old earn it?

#17 David S
October 18 2010, 11:23PM

I prefer to think of it as "Idiots of the FIST degree".

Right then. Carry on chaps.

#18 Gretzkin
October 18 2010, 11:56PM

Fisting is flat out douchery, though I don't mind a good Squee from time to time, but I think the two aren't even close to the same.

This was an Excellent read LT, and I'm excited for the next part.

Gretzkin

#19 Wanye
October 19 2010, 01:32AM

The History of Fist! A strong declaration in favour of tradition! A stirring rebuttle! What late night commentary on the article! Those props are from me Stone Hands McOsta.

I enjoy a good first in the comments. Literally the only other place I have seen this is on a justinbieber-jonasbrothers-willowsmith fan board.

Look those up. I dare you.

#20 Nail Yakupov
October 19 2010, 04:04AM

@Wanye

*looks up justinbieber-jonasbrothers-willowsmith fan board* *giggles excitedly*

#21 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
October 19 2010, 08:07AM
Stone Hands McOsta wrote:

Dearest OilersNation Comments Modifier;

This isn't MSM, and keep it that way!

With kind regards,

Stone Hands McOsta

*Sheds a tear*

#22 Dyckster
October 19 2010, 09:12AM
freeze wrote:

I can't get behind the fisting for the sake of fisting.

I think @freeze is on to something.

Let us hereby bequeath that any blogger shall not proclaim "fist" unless said proclamation is accompanied by a comment relevant to the post to which he/she claimed to be fist at.

#23 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
October 19 2010, 09:27AM
Dyckster wrote:

I think @freeze is on to something.

#24 Dyckster
October 19 2010, 09:32AM
Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement wrote:

~If it is not related to the post then you shall forever be banned from this sight.~

MEH.....

#25 I'm a Scientist!
October 19 2010, 09:32AM
smiliegirl15 wrote:

That is what I thought...

#26 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
October 19 2010, 09:43AM
Dyckster wrote:

MEH.....

Well i now see it as a personal goal to FIST as many articles, in as many non-article related ways that I can, just because you sir... are a giant BOZO!

#27 Dyckster
October 19 2010, 09:46AM
Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement wrote:

Yo, Soft Hands.

A statement enclosed with ~'s denotes sarcasm. I.E. I was KIDDING. Chill my friend. "BOZO", heh.

#28 ubermiguel
October 19 2010, 09:51AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

That is what I thought...

I heard he changed "First" to "Fist me." Essentially the Webmaster version of "why are you punching yourself?"

#29 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
October 19 2010, 09:53AM

Well with so much anti-FISTing going on around these parts.... a guy just never knows. I will retract the BOZO and save it for another poor soul.

** goes back to the tower to work on top-secret justin beiber remix

#30 Dyckster
October 19 2010, 10:00AM

Wanye,

How's about a FIST poll?

"Do you approve of FISTING"

Only when accompanied by a comment either comical or relative to the Post -

I hate mustard -

#31 Team Hallsy
October 19 2010, 10:26AM

Good article LT, I agree, I think Guy is ahead of the curve on this one. Look at the high school football obsession in the US, its only a matter of time before Canada becomes more enamoured with the CHL and AHL, as that is where many of our future stars start out. Even CBC is starting to broadcast AHL games, which should get some interest.

#32 David S
October 19 2010, 10:27AM

Looks like Lowetide picked the wrong week to quit...

#33 ubermiguel
October 19 2010, 11:05AM
book¡e wrote:

I would suggest one slight revision: Fistivus. When Cogliano wins a face-off we could celebrate a Fistivus Miracle. When Big Mac gets into a fight call it a Feat of Strength.

#34 book¡e
October 19 2010, 11:45AM
ubermiguel wrote:

I am sold!

Wayne - can we add a weekly "Airing of Grievances" post?

We need something to relate to the 'Fistivus Pole"

#35 SK Oiler Fan
October 19 2010, 12:43PM

Soooooo back to LT's great read. Is anyone else concerned with Tambo not paying any attention to Springfield last year and rarely talking to any of his scouts? I can respect a well defined chain of command, but IMHO that is a serious lack of communication and derelection of his GM duties.

...Especially since this team, more than any other is counting on the guys in the minors and future draft picks to bring them back to respectability.

#36 Mouse
October 19 2010, 12:55PM
SK Oiler Fan wrote:

Where did it say that Tambo didn't pay any attention to Sprinfield? Or rarely talked to his scouts?

I am neither a big Tambi supporter nor a hater, but it seems like he addressed weak points in the farm system with hirings, etc. It seems like every move he does is with an eye toward the young guys, and future players. I thought he was really improving that part of the system - new GM in OK, Quinn reassigned there, new improved veteran players in OK, improved scouting staff, etc. As a manager myself it looks like he is really empowering his staff, giving what they need to succeed and improve in that area.

I may be way off base, but I see it very differently.

#37 ubermiguel
October 19 2010, 01:05PM
Mouse wrote:

I may be way off base, but I see it very differently.

"Lots of guys last year told me that they rarely had any contact with Steve Tambellini during the season; everything came to them from MacGregor...I’m told Tambellini rarely spoke with the scouts until the Oilers season was over and only made a single appearance in Springfield and barely spoke with anyone while he was there."

I don't care. It's Stu's job to filter out the crap and give Tabmo a unified picture of the scouting team. It's nice if your boss' boss knows your name and says "hi" when he's in town, but business goes on if he doesn't.

#38 Mouse
October 19 2010, 01:12PM

@ubermiguel

Thanks, missed that part.

#39 Ducey
October 19 2010, 01:18PM

Yeah, I think if you have a good scouting staff, you let them do their thing and stay out of the way.

It makes me nervous when a GM shows up and scouts someone for a game or two. I get wanting to see for yourself, but ultimately the GM should trust the guys who have watched a couple of hundred games rather than 2.

#40 SK Oiler Fan
October 19 2010, 01:25PM

I don't know, maybe that's the way most NHL teams work? It's great that he has trust in Stu the Magnificnet Bastard, but you'd think he'd want to see the future of his team more than once in a year and maybe actually talk with the guys who see the draft picks / prospects on a nightly basis as well?

I know Springfield was a terrible team, but unless he saw his scouting staff and prospects as totally inept and useless I see it as a lack of communication.

#41 Max Powers - Team HME Evans
October 20 2010, 07:12AM

Agreed. The last thing I'm concerned about it the fact Tambellini is doing his job and letting other people do theirs. If one guy tries to micro manage the whole organization it's going to go under.