AND THEN THERE WERE TWO

Jason Gregor
November 01 2010 01:45PM

The Jeff Deslauriers experiment seems to have finally come to an end. The Oilers put Deslauriers on waivers today, and if no one claims him by noon EST tomorrow, he'll be sent down to Oklahoma City. Deslauriers was drafted 31st overall by the Oilers in June of 2002, and in his eight years with the Oilers he posted a record of 20-31-7 with a 3.27 GAA and .901 SV%.

I say it seems to have come to an end, because if no one claims him, and Khabibulin or Dubnyk get injured we might see Deslauriers again, but barring an injury I don't see him returning to the Oilers. Some will wonder why this decision came today and not at the start of the season, and that is fair question, but it seems the Oilers wanted to wait to see how Khabibulin would react once their schedule got hectic. It seems he passed the test and thus Deslauriers was waived today.

To Deslauriers' credit he didn't complain about not getting a fair shake during his eight-year tenure with the Oilers. Instead he just wants an opportunity. "What happened in the past happened and I can't change it. I'm just looking forward to see what will happen to me tomorrow, react to it, and make the best out of it," said Deslauriers.

This is not the ending Deslauriers wanted, because his goal and dream is to play in the NHL, but he admitted it was nice to have the three-goalie situation resolved and wants to move forward.

The Oilers had Devan Dubnyk listed ahead of Deslauriers before camp even started, so Deslauriers being waived today wasn't a big surprise, but it was a move that needed to be made.

HIS OWN CREASE

With Deslauriers being waived Dubnyk will finally get his own net during practice. Dubnyk, like JDD, showed a lot of maturity through the three-headed monster process but he was looking forward to settling into the usual two-goaltender rotation.

"It's a huge difference, not just the physical shots, but the mental part. You go in there and if there is something you want to work on or concentrate on for a day, it is hard to work on it when you are jumping in and out of the net after four of five shots.

Some guys might miss the net, or you might not get looks from one side and you don't really get to work on the stuff you are trying to. Then you get frustrated quickly, and you try not to, but it does get frustrating so it is exciting to have my own net and really be able to get down and get to work," said the 14th overall pick in 2004.

Dubnyk was solid in his first appearance v. Columbus on Thursday and expect Renney to use him more than once every eight games moving forward.

QUICK HITS

• Ryan Whitney didn't practice today. He has a laceration on his forearm, and they wanted to ensure he wouldn't get an infection, but he'll be ready to go tomorrow. Steve MacIntyre was a bit under the weather and didn't skate either.

• Sounds like Theo Peckham had the best costume at the Oilers annual Halloween party. He went as Razor Ramone, and according to his teammates he spoke like Ramone all night. Ales Hemsky went as a Roller Derby girl. Ladislav Smid had the fever according to Zack Stortini. Smid went as Justin Bieber.

• I asked Tom Renney about not using Shawn Horcoff in the shootout. He said he has a list of five to seven guys he will use, which means I guess Horcoff is 6th on that list. Renney had this to say about the Calgary shootout. "So far this year the ice hasn't been that good in the shootout and for the most part I've tried to use guys that would shoot, although I was thinking Pens might... There is no question Horc is very adapt at it and I will use him in the future."

• I spoke to Horcoff about it and he was laughing that he might need to sell himself a bit more. He admitted that in practice he probably doesn't stand out, and that he really only has two or three moves. Shoot five hole, deke five hole or shoot blocker. Regardless of how he looks in practice, the fact is right now he has the best shoot out % on the team, and needs to be the first shooter the next time out.

• Alex Burrows will play his first game of the season for the Canucks tomorrow night v. the Oilers, so the game should have some extra chippiness/energy to it which is good for the Oilers and their fans.
Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Horcsky
November 01 2010, 04:50PM

@TrentonL

A case could be made that PRV is not on what is considered the number one line these days.

#52 Archaeologuy
November 01 2010, 04:57PM

@Horcsky

And I will make the case, always, that the #1 line is the line with Hemsky on it.

#53 Horcsky
November 01 2010, 05:00PM

@Archaeologuy

It's certainly debatable these days, though I appreciate your position.

#54 Archaeologuy
November 01 2010, 05:10PM

@Horcsky

Yeah, it's definitely fuzzy which is #1 and which is #2. Lots of people like to say that only the fans use the terms "first" or "second" lines. I dont know, but I'm sticking with Hemsky = #1. When the kids score it's gravy. When Hemsky scores he's just doing his job. If scoring (or otherwise producing points) is your job then, to me, you're performing the duties of a 1st liner.

Ipso facto, Hemsky is playing on the 1st line because he is on the "scoring" line.

#55 DRB
November 01 2010, 05:23PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

?, Dubnyk was drafted in the first rd, 14th overall. Big difference from a second rd pick. It doesn't take "slick logic" to realize that, does it?

Rumours from TC mentioned that there may have been a split in upper mgmt as to who they preferred. Just speculating as we know Tambo has no ownership is either pick. They can't be picking Dubnyk based on his stellar WHL, AHL and NHL records can they?

#56 Horcsky
November 01 2010, 06:02PM

@Archaeologuy

Ya, the scoring line argument is a good one. Lately when watching the games I've found myself hoping that the next line over the boards is the Horcoff, Eberle, and whoever else (Hall now) so that makes me think of them as the first line.

P.S. Nice use of Ipso facto

#57 Crash
November 01 2010, 06:05PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

The best way to determine which is the #1 line is to see who the other teams match up against them. It seems to me that so far Hemsky's line has faced the toughest competition when the other team has last change.

Looks like, for now, Hemsky is line 1.

#58 Wanyes bastard child
November 01 2010, 06:26PM

@Crash

I agree with you and Arch. Plus it also looks like to me that renney always puts Horcoff and Eberle against the other teams top lines when we are at home eh.

Shows lots of confidence in their skills as a shut down pairing, i'd be interested to see how those two have faired thus far on our horrible PK because I don't recall them letting much in...

#59 Archaeologuy
November 01 2010, 06:36PM

@Horcsky

Thanks,

The Eberle/Horc line has been very exciting to watch. I also find myself hoping they jump over the boards after a good shift by one of the other lines.

#60 TFackshatter
November 01 2010, 06:42PM
DRB wrote:

Bad bad move. Dubnyk is going to be lit up in this league. Poor lateral movement, plays too deep in his net, drops down into the butterfly way too quickly and has a sub 500 record in every league except the ECHL, which is where he belongs. He's going to get beat by wrap arounds and high shots. Will be unemployed in 3 yrs.

Shows us that Lowe still has a say in personel. Trying to justify a 1st rd selection.

I agree that JDD is a better goalie than Dubnyk, if they were going to keep one it blows my mind that they would keep Dubnyk and not JDD. Sucks for Deslauriers but he might be plucked off waivers to head somewhere where he can get some time in backing up somewhere in the league. Things might still work out for him.

I will say this though, they just threw Dubnyk in a position where he has to become a better goalie. There is no more favoritism or "projected potential" to play in his favor now. He is the backup. He either improves a lot over this season, or he'll be unemployed after next year. The goaltender market is flooded right now and it wouldn't be hard for the Oil to pick up a capable no 2 if he can't perform. It's all up to him now, it'll be interesting to see where he takes the opportunity from here.

#61 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 01 2010, 06:49PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Muff Morrison's taken a beating today, maybe you could loan that Hersey's hat to Meg, Gregors been in her head all day.

.....raisins, thats one way to ask that your house get egged.

hehehehe..muff....hehehehehe

#62 MattL
November 01 2010, 07:04PM

I don't get it.

JDD is on his last year. Make him the backup this year to either A) See if he becomes a goalie, or B) See if he increases his trade value.

DD has two years left. Start him in the AHL for a final year of minor-league experience and then next year there will be plenty of room for him, and he will have 30-40 more games under his belt than he would as a backup this year.

TADA!

#63 Crash
November 01 2010, 08:11PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

Horc and Eberle have had their moments both good and bad on the PK this year....

Surprisingly enough I think the Oilers have fared much better when Hemsky is out there on the PK with either Gagner or Penner...

Hemsky started the year on the PK for the first couple of games with good success but then the team abandoned it for awhile only to come back to it over the last few games.

#64 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 01 2010, 08:41PM
DRB wrote:

I'd think if you'd take a poll (fans, media ect) most would say they felt DD is the better goalie of the two (granted not by much)

And you are using 17 places on the draft board as your "proof". Pretty weak.

#65 rindog
November 01 2010, 10:56PM
Crash wrote:

Hemsky and Gagner have not been on the ice for ONE PP goal against.

#66 rindog
November 01 2010, 11:01PM

TFackshatter,

That is like saying that you like rotten oranges better than rotten apples.

Neither JD or DD are NHL goalies and to say that JD is better than DD or vice versa is weird. JD got his chance last year and did NOTHING to prove that he is an NHL goalie.

DD didn't do anything to prove that he belongs either.

We already have the back-up that you mention (Gerber) and I have no problem saying that neither JD or DD will be the goalie of record when this team is ready to make its playoff surge (next year or the year after).

We will have to acquire our goalie of the future via trade.

#67 TrentonL
November 02 2010, 09:03AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Props to Archaeologuy for making my argument for me.

#68 Crash
November 02 2010, 09:07AM
rindog wrote:

Hemsky and Gagner have not been on the ice for ONE PP goal against.

Thanks for the info, I was trying to find this out yesterday but couldn't find it.

That's interesting. I've always felt that it's a good idea to use your best, smartest and most skilled guys to share in the PK duties. Other good coaches do it and I'm glad it's finally being realized by a coach in Edmonton after many years. It also helps to keep them into the game without long stretches on the bench.

When I suggested before the season the Oilers should use their best players (ie: Hemsky) to kill penalties, the attack posts were on. The only worry I guess is having them get hurt blocking a shot.

#69 Crash
November 02 2010, 09:35AM
rindog wrote:

TFackshatter,

That is like saying that you like rotten oranges better than rotten apples.

DD didn't do anything to prove that he belongs either.

We will have to acquire our goalie of the future via trade.

I'm not understanding how people can already have it figured out that DD has done NOTHING to prove he's an NHL goaltender.

He only finally got his first chance last year and while he started out very slowly in his first 9 games I don't think anyone can argue with how well he's played since he came back from Springfield last March after the Olympics.

Just what does a young guy have to do to show people that he just could be an NHL goaltender?

In DD's last 9 appearances, 8 of which were starts he has a 2.58 GAA and a .926 sv%.

How much better would people like his numbers to be to show he deserves this shot? Does he have to pitch a shutout every game to show he deserves it? Is .926 too low of a sv%?

I think he's earned this and it's way too bold of a statement to say he has shown NOTHING.

#70 Microsoft Office 2007