Down Day for the Department of Youth

Lowetide
November 10 2010 07:22AM

As a parent I have often stood in stunned silence while observing my children on life's learning curve. The boy riding cardboard down the stairs, firing heavy items at his sister one Saturday morning with the classic line "don't move, I think I can hit you this time" (poor little girl, when I got to her she was shaking in her boots) or my daughter--just 4 years old--opening up drawers in show-home kitchens and trying to climb into them (don't worry, we bought the place).

The thing is, sometimes you can reach  children with words and advice, and sometimes they have to learn things on their own. Last night, the Oilers kids had a bit of a pity party. Completely predictable and now let's now do that again.

The sagging shoulders, the "I'll just do it myself" turnovers, the stick thwack against the boards, the benchings. It's all part of the maturing process and if you think it didn't happen with the Boys on the Bus you're sadly mistaken. A missed flight by Messier, a BoBo search party and many other examples (on and off ice) over the years. I remember in the WHA era that Dave Hunter was benched because he took a penalty in the last minutes of periods too often. Seriously. It became an issue, his ass was stapled to the bench and he learned not to do that anymore.

The trick is to make the discipline strong enough to have an impact without going overboard and losing the player. I think Tom Renney's actions last night were solid. That's a fine line, you know. The Oilers have lost players over the years (Arnott, Comrie) to various events that got blown way out of proportion. In some of those cases, the fanbase was part of the problem (certainly with Arnott).

Taylor Hall is a teenager. Expecting the kid to know it all at the beginning has more to do with impatience on our part than any kind of disconnect from the kid. Eberle and MPS too. They are inconsistent and they make the same mistakes over and over and sometimes it seems like it'll take forever. Hell, Gagner and Cogliano are still on that long learning curve. In fact, Ladislav Smid is just now reaching a point where we can see consistency in his game and perhaps say goodbye to the unforced errors.

It's a long way to the top when you get into scorched earth rebuilds. We're going to be up and down emotiionally like a rollercoaster in these next few years and there's really not a damn thing we can do about it. The Christmas movie "It's a Wonderful Life" included the classic line "ah, youth is wasted on all the wrong people."

Not so, in this case. Patience with the three  rookies will eventually result in very good things for Oiler fans. That 7-1 beatdown last night will be turned around in due time. We need to remember it takes time for kids to learn, and enjoy the small victories while enduring the backward steps.

We've seen it before.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
Lowetide has been one of the Oilogosphere's shining lights for over a century. You can check him out here at OilersNation and at lowetide.ca. He is also the host of Lowdown with Lowetide weekday mornings 10-noon on Team 1260.
Avatar
#1 rubbertrout
November 10 2010, 07:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I agree totally.

~Is there some way to blame this on Horcoff?~

Avatar
#3 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 10 2010, 08:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Nice peace. It's hard to believe their are people up in arms about this (well not really, but it should be). I'm suprised it took this long for the team to really get lit up.

The fact that they've played well against some top teams is what should be shocking at this point. Not the odd 7-1 stinker.

Avatar
#4 jr_christ
November 10 2010, 08:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm just glad we aren't like the Flames fans who after losing 4 straight wanted half the team traded (including IGGY) and the GM fired.

Finishing 30th isn't the worst case scenario for us. June 25th was the most fun I'd had with my Oil buddies since the 2006 run! I'd take another exciting draft day no problem!

Gotta stay patient! We won't even remember this game in 2 weeks.

Avatar
#5 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 10 2010, 08:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@jr_christ

"I'm just glad we aren't like the Flames fans who after losing 4 straight wanted half the team traded (including IGGY) and the GM fired."

Hmmmmmm, I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact scenario play out about 438,245,193,488 times over the last 5 years on various Oiler related chat boards and call in shows.

Avatar
#6 Dodd
November 10 2010, 08:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Great post LT. I love Oilers Nation because it talks me down from the same ledge that it sends me up to.

Reading some of the other reactions to last night's prison - sex of our team, it seems we easily forget about the rebuild and slip into 2008 anger.

Avatar
#7 freeze
November 10 2010, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Last night went beyond just the kids; once the refs missed the high stick to Cogs it just seemed like the doom and panic was too thick.

Avatar
#8 Oilcruzer
November 10 2010, 08:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

No one wants to say it, so I will be the whipping boy.

The Oil missed their Captain last night.

Avatar
#9 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
November 10 2010, 08:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Well if we're going for exciting last place hockey, that wasn't it. But this kind of thing is bound to happen, and in this case it was Hall and Eberle who saw the bench. Next time I can almost guarentee it won't be those 2 stapled to the bench.

Avatar
#10 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
November 10 2010, 08:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Oilcruzer wrote:

No one wants to say it, so I will be the whipping boy.

The Oil missed their Captain last night.

Although I completely agree with you, I can't help but want to poke your eyes out with an avatar like that.

Avatar
#11 Oilcruzer
November 10 2010, 08:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement wrote:

Although I completely agree with you, I can't help but want to poke your eyes out with an avatar like that.

Lol... It's one to remind us of all that is wrong in sports.

Avatar
#12 Tyler
November 10 2010, 08:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In fact, Ladislav Smid is just now reaching a point where we can see consistency in his game and perhaps say goodbye to the unforced errors.

You see his work on the PP last night?

a BoBo search party

Man do I ever love that story. It's got everything - hockey player rolling in at 7AM after a night out - with that kickass twist.

Avatar
#13 Crackenbury
November 10 2010, 09:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LT,

I didn't watch the game last night and my initial reaction to hearing Hall and Eberle were benched in the third period of a 7-1 blowout was to think Renny was an idiot, especically after listening to Stauffer this morning. Your article put things into a proper perspective and makes the benchings seem reasonable. The teams reaction in tomorrow nights game should speak volumes about where the season is headed.

Avatar
#14 EasyOil
November 10 2010, 09:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It worries/amuses me that a lot of "fans" have immediately begun to say ridiculous things such as "I knew these kids were overrated", that we should have gone for veterans instead of youth, and are seemingly shocked by the loss, and saying this team isn't worth watching or paying money to go and see... seriously, head over to the EJ's Cult of Hockey and read the comments for the postgame report, its a good laugh.

ONE loss. Two if you include the Sharks game. We should be delighted, as OB1-Team Hall says, that the kids and the rest of the team are playing as well as they are. Every single team, without a single exception, has nights where they get blown apart. Yes, even Detroit (who got beat 6-2 by Buffalo last year).

I have been quite proud of what I have seen by Oil fans so far this year, for the most part accepting that the team is not going to be good, and buying into the rebuild. But I guess there always are a few impatient ones who want to win now and nothing else is good enough.

Dont get me wrong, I want this team to be a winner more than anything. But I want to be a team that can win championship-upon-championship-upon-championship, not be a one hit wonder (thankyou very much Tampa, Carolina). To do that you have to build a strong foundation, and its actually losses like this that are just as valuable, if not more so, as winning. The kids will learn from their mistakes (Hall's postgame comments show the intelligence of this kid - quick learner).

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Avatar
#15 madjam
November 10 2010, 09:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

THE COMEDY CLUB was the wrong venue at this point and time . Far beyond the normal bounds of a Tradgedy movie . With seeemingly more talent on our farm club than on our NHL club , one wonders if Bettman and league might start imposing a $1M dollar penalty /game on Oilers for running a superior team in the minors to their NHL team . I guess we could hope for a major injury situation and see our AHL club come up and see better hockey ?

Just what and who is learning ? Are we already deliberately throwing the season down the toilet ? Maybe thats why AHL squad not being called up .

Renney not amused by COMEDY CLUB act ! A farce , spoof ?

You'd have a hard time convincing anybody that our NHL squad is as good or better than our first place AHL squad .

I suppose because our building sells out no matter who and what they put on the ice , their is no need to anything expediantly or time worthy ?

No frustration here (tongue in cheek ) but theirs only 3 rookies on squad , not an entire team of misfits . Skinner put on a clinic for our rookies to see along with the veterans he made look sick . Quite the perfomance from our defence ! If our club doesn't play above it's head every nite , we just are not in a game . Rebuild excuse is being used far to often as an excuse for entire team failures ." Canned "excuses are not making our team any better and if accepted will only continue to make matters worse and for a longer time .

Avatar
#16 The Real Scuba Steve
November 10 2010, 09:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

How old was BoBo when he went MIA?

Avatar
#17 The Real Scuba Steve
November 10 2010, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can't remember Wayne Gretzky ever getting benched? Maybe he was the exception with Mario.

Avatar
#18 VMR
November 10 2010, 09:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

I can't remember Wayne Gretzky ever getting benched? Maybe he was the exception with Mario.

Sather benched him once, he still scored 2 goals and got 3 assists.

Avatar
#19 OilDieHard
November 10 2010, 09:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

yup, we got our butts handed to us good didn't we? oh well all part of the learning process i guess.

Avatar
#20 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 10 2010, 09:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@madjam

"You'd have a hard time convincing anybody that our NHL squad is as good or better than our first place AHL squad."

Actually you wouldn't.

Avatar
#21 Rogue
November 10 2010, 10:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"Ralphie, dont leave me here!"

Classic movie

Avatar
#22 book¡e
November 10 2010, 10:29AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Over the past 3 years, I don't think the young men in the room had much respect for their coach and/or most of the senior players. Benchings are easier to take when the old guy going out on the ice is actually better than you.

I hope Renney has their respect.

Avatar
#23 Dan the Man
November 10 2010, 10:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

Crazy stat of the day....

Oilers are winless this year without Horcoff in the line up and have been outscored 7-1.

Avatar
#24 Dan the Man
November 10 2010, 11:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think the real reason Hall was benched is that Renney was concerned that he would shoot his eye out.

Avatar
#25 ubermiguel
November 10 2010, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Crazy stat of the day....

Oilers are winless this year without Horcoff in the line up and have been outscored 7-1.

LOL!

Avatar
#26 Pajamah
November 10 2010, 11:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Dan the Man wrote:

Crazy stat of the day....

Oilers are winless this year without Horcoff in the line up and have been outscored 7-1.

~Everything is everyone elses fault!!~

Horcoff in net, I bet he only lets in 3 or 4, tops!

Avatar
#27 madjam
November 10 2010, 11:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Maybe the learning process excuse might work if it applied to management and coaches who makeup the lineup and game plans . Players look like they are on same speed as they are ? Downturn getting worse after 4 years , wonder when rhetoric and plan to rebuild might become a reality instead of talk ? Tiring of growing pains of getting worse trying to disguise a rebuild to get worse ! I suppose even backward steps are a positive if thats their intention.

Horcoff travelling with team and being in the press box probably caused Oilers to lose so badly - yup , Horcoff's the problem once again .

Avatar
#28 Boris
November 10 2010, 12:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Good article, we haven't even played 15 games yet and our rebuild is in the enfant stages, the kids need to grow and learn about other things besides stick handling etc.

I believe it will take up to Christmas before we really start to see the team become a consistant threat to other teams.

Avatar
#29 DimebagDave
November 10 2010, 12:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Maybe the learning process excuse might work if it applied to management and coaches who makeup the lineup and game plans . Players look like they are on same speed as they are ? Downturn getting worse after 4 years , wonder when rhetoric and plan to rebuild might become a reality instead of talk ? Tiring of growing pains of getting worse trying to disguise a rebuild to get worse ! I suppose even backward steps are a positive if thats their intention.

Horcoff travelling with team and being in the press box probably caused Oilers to lose so badly - yup , Horcoff's the problem once again .

Are you even speaking english?

Avatar
#30 SK Oiler Fan
November 10 2010, 12:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It's not the rookies that we should be concerned about, hell they've been some of their best players on most nights. It's the so called vets who are the real story here. They're the ones who are making the same mistakes over and over and some of them don't look like they give a s##t.

Avatar
#31 Archaeologuy
November 10 2010, 12:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tough to compete in games when the Goaltending is brutal. Then the youth kicks in and they spiral out of control. It's going to happen all year. 1 win for every 2 or 3 losses. 1 blowout for every 2 or 3 close ones.

There's no doubt in my mind that of the bottom 5 teams in the NHL, the Oilers have the best chance of staying in the lottery hunt. Just look at the goaltending.

Avatar
#32 Jamie B.
November 10 2010, 12:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
SK Oiler Fan wrote:

It's not the rookies that we should be concerned about, hell they've been some of their best players on most nights. It's the so called vets who are the real story here. They're the ones who are making the same mistakes over and over and some of them don't look like they give a s##t.

To a degree, yes, but I don't think you can punish guys for a lack of skill or sometimes even smarts. So expecting a guy like Vandermeer to be better than he's capable of doesn't seem logical to me. (In that case, yeah, blame management for not getting someone better, but maybe it's all part of the ~plan~.)

That said, I sincerely hope someone can fix whatever's wrong with Tom Gilbert before I decide punching myself in the face sounds like a better idea than watching him. It was like he'd never played hockey before in his life on that first goal last night.

I've given up on Penner.

Avatar
#33 DK0
November 10 2010, 12:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jamie B.

I can almost guarantee every smart coach tells their players not to hit Penner. Seriously. If the other team doesn't do anything to get him fired up, hes a completely different player then if he is into the game.

Avatar
#34 Cervantes
November 10 2010, 01:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So, remind me again why we haven't called up a kid to replace Horcs while he's out? Omark? Reddox? Any of those big coke fridges? Anyone, really? Not that I object to a Smac/Fraser/Zorg line, but Renney stapled Smac to the bench instead of letting him go out there and punch someone in the face until they asked him nicely to stop. Why waste the spot? Bring up a kid who'll bring some energy and get some experience. Either that, or let Smac go out there and run around and cause some continual disturbance. We talk about teaching kids, well, Smac is still young and can still learn. Let's teach him something other than 2 minutes of ice time a night.

Also, Dubs? One start in 13 games? And didn't Captain CrankyBack get hurt, in part, because we made him play practically every game? Dubs is solid, we've anointed him our backup, lets let him have some games and get some learnin. Unless we're purposely trying to get Nic to hurt his back again, for (a) cap relief (b) kid teachin and (c) not getting screwed when his appeal gets called.

And finally, whilst I can understand not giving MPS much special teams time, I remain confused why he doesn't get shuffled up with the stronger players when shuffling occurs. He has the tools, he needs the learnin' too. "Sheltered minutes" is only a suitable excuse when when your linemates are helping you out instead of holding you back.

Oh well. I heard JFJ was fairly useless in his AHL games, maybe the Oilers will finally get off that koolaid. Bout time we had a pair of decent prospects up here to swap in and out, and Struds stapled to the pressbox for the rest of his days. I know Vandy has bad games too, but I'd take Vandy on a bad day over Struds on a good day, any day. Cuz wow. Great guy, but not great player.

Avatar
#35 Soft Hands McSteeley - FIST Movement
November 10 2010, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Cervantes wrote:

So, remind me again why we haven't called up a kid to replace Horcs while he's out? Omark? Reddox? Any of those big coke fridges? Anyone, really? Not that I object to a Smac/Fraser/Zorg line, but Renney stapled Smac to the bench instead of letting him go out there and punch someone in the face until they asked him nicely to stop. Why waste the spot? Bring up a kid who'll bring some energy and get some experience. Either that, or let Smac go out there and run around and cause some continual disturbance. We talk about teaching kids, well, Smac is still young and can still learn. Let's teach him something other than 2 minutes of ice time a night.

Also, Dubs? One start in 13 games? And didn't Captain CrankyBack get hurt, in part, because we made him play practically every game? Dubs is solid, we've anointed him our backup, lets let him have some games and get some learnin. Unless we're purposely trying to get Nic to hurt his back again, for (a) cap relief (b) kid teachin and (c) not getting screwed when his appeal gets called.

And finally, whilst I can understand not giving MPS much special teams time, I remain confused why he doesn't get shuffled up with the stronger players when shuffling occurs. He has the tools, he needs the learnin' too. "Sheltered minutes" is only a suitable excuse when when your linemates are helping you out instead of holding you back.

Oh well. I heard JFJ was fairly useless in his AHL games, maybe the Oilers will finally get off that koolaid. Bout time we had a pair of decent prospects up here to swap in and out, and Struds stapled to the pressbox for the rest of his days. I know Vandy has bad games too, but I'd take Vandy on a bad day over Struds on a good day, any day. Cuz wow. Great guy, but not great player.

Doobie has only had 1 start in 13 games due to the extremely slow schedule the Oilers started with. They had 4 days off between games, lots of time for the old man to rest his back. Now that we are seeing the 4 game/week schedule, I would expect DD to see more consistant starts.

JFJ was useless in the AHL games he just played because they did the smart thing and played him in a roll that would more in-line with what he would be doing in Edmonton. Is JFJ going to play top 6 here? Not unless Quinn somehow snuck back into the dressing room. The Barons used him as a 3rd line checker, small amount of PK. Which is exactly what the Oilers might be hoping for when he's called back up.

I can't agree that Vandy is far and away better than Struds, if anything they both should be stappled to the press box. At least we know Struds isn't just sitting up their twiddling his thumbs. He's been the eye's in the sky when he hasn't been forced into action due to injury. Even Hemmer has talked about how Struds has been a benifit pointing things out from a different look. And i'll take Struds playing 30 games while helping the guys who matter out with what he's seeing from up top out over playing Vandy any day of the week.

Can't say much about your comments on MPS and the special teams. I would hope he get's a look at some point. Maybe once he's more accustom to the systems and NA game style. It's not like we're 15 games into another NHL season.. its 15 games into his NHL career... patience my friend patience

Avatar
#36 Ryan14
November 10 2010, 01:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Maybe the learning process excuse might work if it applied to management and coaches who makeup the lineup and game plans . Players look like they are on same speed as they are ? Downturn getting worse after 4 years , wonder when rhetoric and plan to rebuild might become a reality instead of talk ? Tiring of growing pains of getting worse trying to disguise a rebuild to get worse ! I suppose even backward steps are a positive if thats their intention.

Horcoff travelling with team and being in the press box probably caused Oilers to lose so badly - yup , Horcoff's the problem once again .

WTF?

Avatar
#37 Ender
November 10 2010, 01:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DimebagDave wrote:

Are you even speaking english?

He's speaking Madjamian. It's an incredibly complex language to learn and imparts only severe depression and paranoid delusions if you master it. We recommend you do what everyone else does and just treat comments from madjam the same as you would from that aunt at the reunion with severe Alzheimers; you just smile, nod, and keep moving without holding their crazy comments against them. While with a great deal of effort madjam has shown that he is capable of using thought, sentence structure, and punctuation together in a paragraph, it's clearly too taxing for him to expect it every time.

Avatar
#38 Dodd
November 10 2010, 01:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Wow. Negative dressing down of the team as if we have something to lose this year.

Why take this season so seriously? A real rebuild is sort of an agreement between fans and organization: Organization puts together a team that shows promise for 2012 and fans buy tickets to watch exciting potential; each party understands that nights like last night are going to happen.

I love to watch us win too, but chill out. Anyone (Gilbert) who sucks all year likely won't be here when we're ready to contend.

Avatar
#39 spOILer
November 10 2010, 01:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

LT said...

Taylor Hall is a teenager. Expecting the kid to know it all at the beginning has more to do with impatience on our part than any kind of disconnect from the kid. Eberle and MPS too. They are inconsistent and they make the same mistakes over and over and sometimes it seems like it'll take forever. Hell, Gagner and Cogliano are still on that long learning curve. In fact, Ladislav Smid is just now reaching a point where we can see consistency in his game and perhaps say goodbye to the unforced errors.

Why does no one mention we're developing an entire 4th line too?

At least Smid, Gagner, and Cogliano have over 200 NHL games apiece.

Fraser and Jones do not.

That is why we don't have a reliable 4th line or PKing.

Avatar
#40 PabstBR55
November 10 2010, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hmm, a lot of short memories amongst Oiler fans. Khabibulin crapped the bed, but he was unreal against Chicago. If Duby started and got shelled, everyone would be wondering why we aren't riding the hot hand.

I'm a bit torn on the fans' desire to add a legitimate PK specialist. With one we won't have nights this atrocious, but we might actually climb out of the bottom five.

TO MADJAM

I'm still against moves that minorly improve this team on a short term basis. A lot of people feel this way. While we can't make two or three signings or trades that will land us in the playoffs at the end of the year, we can focus on developing the kids into bona fide NHL'ers.

Finishing 10th in the division won't help us at all going forward.

Avatar
#41 Westcoastoil
November 10 2010, 02:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DK0 wrote:

I can almost guarantee every smart coach tells their players not to hit Penner. Seriously. If the other team doesn't do anything to get him fired up, hes a completely different player then if he is into the game.

Not unlike Bertuzzi when he was ripping it with Vanc. The worst thing you could do was wake him up. For the life of me i will never understand how a player Penner's size lays a big hit as rarely as he does. Especially when you see him ragdoll Regher like he did in the first game last year.

~ maybe Hemmer needs to fire him up by filling his skates with cat litter ~

Avatar
#42 S.Tambellini
November 10 2010, 03:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
madjam wrote:

THE COMEDY CLUB was the wrong venue at this point and time . Far beyond the normal bounds of a Tradgedy movie . With seeemingly more talent on our farm club than on our NHL club , one wonders if Bettman and league might start imposing a $1M dollar penalty /game on Oilers for running a superior team in the minors to their NHL team . I guess we could hope for a major injury situation and see our AHL club come up and see better hockey ?

Just what and who is learning ? Are we already deliberately throwing the season down the toilet ? Maybe thats why AHL squad not being called up .

Renney not amused by COMEDY CLUB act ! A farce , spoof ?

You'd have a hard time convincing anybody that our NHL squad is as good or better than our first place AHL squad .

I suppose because our building sells out no matter who and what they put on the ice , their is no need to anything expediantly or time worthy ?

No frustration here (tongue in cheek ) but theirs only 3 rookies on squad , not an entire team of misfits . Skinner put on a clinic for our rookies to see along with the veterans he made look sick . Quite the perfomance from our defence ! If our club doesn't play above it's head every nite , we just are not in a game . Rebuild excuse is being used far to often as an excuse for entire team failures ." Canned "excuses are not making our team any better and if accepted will only continue to make matters worse and for a longer time .

Well put good sir. Your knowledge of hockey is only usurped by your phenomenal grasp of the written word.

Avatar
#43 Gregors dirty 'stash
November 10 2010, 03:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

No big deal, its the first of many horrble losses, well second actually (san Jose 6-1 loss)

Avatar
#44 Rogue
November 10 2010, 03:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Isn't it all soooo exciting! Long live ELPH! At least until next year.

Avatar
#45 DK0
November 10 2010, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Westcoastoil wrote:

Not unlike Bertuzzi when he was ripping it with Vanc. The worst thing you could do was wake him up. For the life of me i will never understand how a player Penner's size lays a big hit as rarely as he does. Especially when you see him ragdoll Regher like he did in the first game last year.

~ maybe Hemmer needs to fire him up by filling his skates with cat litter ~

~I think adding more weight to his skates would be counterproductive to getting him to move faster.~

HIIYOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOO!!!

Avatar
#46 D-Man
November 10 2010, 03:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

THE COMEDY CLUB was the wrong venue at this point and time . Far beyond the normal bounds of a Tradgedy movie . With seeemingly more talent on our farm club than on our NHL club , one wonders if Bettman and league might start imposing a $1M dollar penalty /game on Oilers for running a superior team in the minors to their NHL team . I guess we could hope for a major injury situation and see our AHL club come up and see better hockey ?

Just what and who is learning ? Are we already deliberately throwing the season down the toilet ? Maybe thats why AHL squad not being called up .

Renney not amused by COMEDY CLUB act ! A farce , spoof ?

You'd have a hard time convincing anybody that our NHL squad is as good or better than our first place AHL squad .

I suppose because our building sells out no matter who and what they put on the ice , their is no need to anything expediantly or time worthy ?

No frustration here (tongue in cheek ) but theirs only 3 rookies on squad , not an entire team of misfits . Skinner put on a clinic for our rookies to see along with the veterans he made look sick . Quite the perfomance from our defence ! If our club doesn't play above it's head every nite , we just are not in a game . Rebuild excuse is being used far to often as an excuse for entire team failures ." Canned "excuses are not making our team any better and if accepted will only continue to make matters worse and for a longer time .

Do you even like the Oilers?? Seriously - I don't recall seeing any comment from you about anything mgmt/coaches/players do right - and there have been positives...

Admit it - you're a Flames fan, aren't you??

Avatar
#47 Dan the Man
November 10 2010, 04:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
D-Man wrote:

Do you even like the Oilers?? Seriously - I don't recall seeing any comment from you about anything mgmt/coaches/players do right - and there have been positives...

Admit it - you're a Flames fan, aren't you??

Madjam is bi-polar, he is either talking about how all of the rookies will score 70 goals each or how woefully incompetent the team is.

Avatar
#49 @NateInVegas
November 10 2010, 05:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Would be curious if the Oilers celebrated the win over Chicago hard.

1st time they've been able to escape traditional hockey market in (NC)..

Khabibulin looked dehydrated again...

Did Eric Cole leave the Beer Pong out for all to enjoy???

Avatar
#50 Dutchscooter
November 10 2010, 06:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@madjam

Wow, talk about glass-is-half-empty.

We are the youngest team in the NHL. There will be days like this. Would you rather be New Jersey right now? Right against the cap, can't field a whole team (NHL calibre or not) and dead last in the NHL right now. Oh, right. They suck 'cause of all their INJURIES. Tell me where and when I've heard THAT tune before.

Comments are closed for this article.