UPDATED: CBC PULLS HALL STORY FROM WEBSITE

Robin Brownlee
November 05 2010 04:40PM

Taylor Hall has put the boots to the bogus, overblown bit of gossip that made the rounds Thursday about he and his dad somehow strong-arming jersey No. 4 from Kevin Lowe.

Not only that, the Edmonton Oilers rookie pulled it off with the deft touch of a seasoned veteran, laughing off the non-story penned by somebody named Mark Seidel on CBC.ca's sports website.

Is Hall so obsessed with No. 4 that he and his father, Steve, twisted Lowe's arm to get it, as implied in Seidel's no-quote expose? Was anything going to stop Hall from getting his number, even if Lowe had to pull it out of mothballs for fear the kid might not report to Edmonton?

Hall, 18, had a flock of reporters waiting for him at his dressing room stall in Rexall Place after the Oilers pre-game skate this morning looking for the real dope on his alleged numeric fetish. Did you, Taylor? Did you want it that bad? Did your obsession with the No. 4 result in you and your dad leaning on the Oilers president of hockey operations?

The people have a right to know.

FOUR CRYING OUT LOUD

"Yeah," Hall declared, when asked if he's got a stash of jerseys and banners emblazoned with the No. 4 back at the family home. "Our whole house, the walls aren't painted. It's just 4s."

While that punch line drew a hearty guffaw from all assembled, Hall showed a fair bit of composure for somebody who'd just been made to sound like a selfish, self-centred jerk by Seidel, whose unnamed sources for the item he wrote sound dubious, at best.

I covered most of Seidel's dirt-dishing yesterday, as did Jason Gregor on his afternoon show when he had Lowe on as a guest, so there's no need to go through it all again. That said, Hall had his say today.

"I was pretty surprised when I heard that. I didn't even know I was wearing the number until before camp and Kevin called. It's pretty much a non-issue."

"My dad called mid afternoon and told me, 'There's this article.' I don't care what it says about me, because I can take that. It's more my family because they're not used to that stuff. When they say stuff about my dad, that's kind of hard to take.

"Like I said, two weeks before camp I was visiting my billets in Windsor and he (Lowe) gave me a call. We started talking about the number. He brought it up. He said he thought I'd look great in it and that it might make me a little more comfortable coming into camp wearing my own number. Other than that, I didn't even think about it. That was pretty much it. I said OK."

End of non-story.

UPDATED

Seidel's story has been pulled from the CBC website and his name is no longer listed among the site's bloggers. This update from Rob Tychkowski at the Edmonton Sun:

"The Edmonton Oilers and Taylor Hall say a CBC report that the rookie and his family pressured a reluctant Kevin Lowe into turning over No.4 before the season is total fabrication. And it appears it was. The CBC pulled the story Friday evening while its author, Mark Seidel, sent an e-mail to the Oilers apologizing for the piece, saying “I am fully confident that these events did not happen as I layed them out in the article.”

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 michael
November 07 2010, 08:50AM

CBC has been inundated with studity in the past few years. Do we not recall the HNIC theme song fiasco? The Ron Maclean about to be let go descision?The release of Chris Cuthbert. There seems to a lack of strong leadership at CBC right now. This kind of journalism fiasco wouldn't have past the smell test 20 years ago. There would have been someone with a modicum of ethical and moral standards who would have put the kibosh on a story like this. Cheese and crackers, this kind of reporting is like the crap that we see on TMZ or at the supermarket checkout. Its irresponsible, inflamatory and just plain poor journalism. We can count ourselves lucky that the writers and reporters in this city have the common sense that we don't see alot of the times from other sourses outside of Edmonton. Or from Alberta.

#52 MattL
November 07 2010, 10:00AM

@michael

I find that the same people who complain about the declining quality of the CBC are the same people who want to cut funding to the CBC. The HNIC theme was about money. MacLean and Cuthbert were about money. If the current government had their way, the CBC would be scrapped completely.

#53 Rob...
November 07 2010, 10:12AM

@MattL

Well there's no doubt what your stance is. Anyone with a perceived conservative bent is automatically a 'Redneck' not worthy of respect or understanding. Don't worry though, you are not alone in that warped sense of thinking.

It's people like you that coin the term 'moral majority' and 'natural ruling party'. Your continued attempts to turn Canada into a two tiered citizenship system cause more damage to this country than anything the right wing extremists could ever come up with.

#54 Archaeologuy
November 07 2010, 10:18AM

Sh*t just got political...BOOM!

#55 Rob...
November 07 2010, 11:29AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Sh*t just got political...BOOM!

Yeah, well, as we approach the 11th, I'm damn grateful for those who have sacrificed greatly so that each of us can share our political views without fearing incarceration or worse.

#56 MattL
November 07 2010, 02:20PM
Rob... wrote:

Actually, it's people like YOU that coined the term "moral majority".

I have lots of beliefs that would fall on the conservative side of the scale, traditionally, I am a pragmatist, not a dogmatist. And I definitely don't call everyone right of centre a redneck, just the ones who think the CBC is liberal propaganda, and that the french have no place in this country. It's not an exact definition, but it'll do for now. Also, I really have no clue what you mean by two tiered citizenship system, but I promise you I am against whatever the hell you are referring to.

Props on nov.11 bringing out my political side as well.

Anyway, uh... Taylor Hall... glad that was sorted out. The real story is, HOW DID EBERLE LOBBY TO GET MATS LINDGREN'S NUMBER??!!!

#57 Rob...
November 07 2010, 03:08PM

@MattL

Thinking that everyone who wants Quebec to separate is anti-French is very presumptuous. In my case, it has to do with massive transfer payments to a province that gets away with being the tail that wags the dog while also being one of the least fiscally responsible provinces in the country. And if I were from the U.S. your wikipedia reference would be much more relevant.

As for Eberle, I heard from an Oiler I refuse to name that Jordan stole Mats' dog and refused to give it back until he received word that #14 was his.

#58 MattL
November 07 2010, 05:36PM
Rob... wrote:

That Eberle, typical hockey jerk. I have it from a source that Eberle said, "Lindgren isn't even in the top 5 Mats of all time." No respect for his elders. Or should I say, the Elderle?

You do realize that if Alberta had Quebec's natural resources, we would be a have-not province too, right? It doesn't concern you that despite sitting on some of the largest fossil fuel reserves in the world, we're still running a deficit right now?

#59 michael
November 07 2010, 06:25PM

@MattL

Quebec has is the largest supplier of electical power to the eastern USA. It reaps in hundreds of millions of dollars annually from that little resource. The Quebecers pay the lowest electricity rates in the country. Meanwhile back at the ranch.

#60 MattL
November 07 2010, 08:05PM

@michael

"In Québec, revenue from electricity sales amounted to $3,165 million, a $183-million decrease from 2009."

Compared to AB royalty revenue: "2008/09 $12.530 billion (Budget 2009)"

I bet they could use that extra 9 billion dollars, hey? Would pretty much cover the 4 billion dollar deficit that year, hey?

#61 Rob...
November 07 2010, 09:55PM

@MattL

Not to mention the dollar a day daycare, eh?

There's an interesting article that was in the Edmonton Journal titled "Report slams inequities of equalization program". Since the article contains no ice girls I'll refrain from posting the link itself.

That type of thing that report talks about combined with the attitude put forth by the province of Quebec is what leads to my opinion.

I have no problems with 'have not' provinces that are getting a helping hand from Alberta. It wasn't that long ago that Alberta was the have not province getting a helping hand from others. The difference is, Albertans weren't dictating to the rest of Canada what they should get on the political and financial front.

#62 Bill
November 08 2010, 12:04AM
MattL wrote:

So what are you saying, Matt, that the CBC will all of a sudden be an unbiased source of news, and a source of high quality programming....if we would only throw more money at it? WOW, Matt, yeah, that'll fly like a lead balloon....you DO know this is 2010 and not the Trudeau era, right? We're trying to get rid of the whole concept of a bloated civil service, not ramp it up.

For Pete's sake, if the CBC can't stand on the merits of its programming via the sale of advertising, then it quite frankly doesn't need or deserve to exist. The sense of entitlement of this crown corporation....a relic of a bygone era, is astounding.

In an time of hard choices in terms of federal funds and where they are going, the CBC is FAR down on the list. If ONLY we the people were asked whether we want to keep footing the bill for the CBC...

If the current government had it in their election platform that the CBC will be phased out of government funding over the next 5-10 years, they'd get my vote for sure.

#63 Jamie B.
November 08 2010, 12:59AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Are you suggesting apologizing to you or anybode else who read the item is more important or as important as apologizing to Hall and the Oilers?

You weren't wronged here. This isn't about you.

Sorry I didn't see this until now. No, I don't feel wronged. What Travis said. Hall and his family were unfairly portrayed and I'd prefer Seidel (or the CBC) make it clear to the people who read the story under the assumption that it was accurate that the author was wrong and it isn't true. It seems crappy to me that a guy can say s**t and not have to deal with the consequences. I know, he has in some ways. Just doesn't really feel like enough to me, but if you say Hall's fine with it then I guess it doesn't matter.

#64 michael
November 08 2010, 10:09AM

Seidel can be forgiven for a brain cramp. But this is/wasn't a brain cramp. I agree that there needs to be more from Seidel. But what that should be I don't know. I do know one thing though. He'll never post crap like that ever again about any Oiler. The man just got his head handed to him. I'd be surprised if we see a post by him in any form for the next year.