OILERS GET SMOKED ON TOBACCO ROAD

Robin Brownlee
November 09 2010 10:31PM

Well, that 7-1 backside buffing from the Carolina Hurricanes tonight was about as many laughs as having Joni Pitkanen sneer, fart in your general direction and then stub out a cigar in your eye, now wasn't it?

By the time Andrew Cogliano finished getting his busted lip, courtesy of a high-stick by Pitkanen stitched, the Edmonton Oilers were down 4-0 in another decidedly forgettable return to Raleigh, where they watched the Hurricanes hoist the Stanley Cup in June 2006.

You knew it was going to be a tough night when both referees missed Pitkanen combing Cogliano in the yap. Instead of a four-minute power play, the Oilers get fingered for a minor in the same sequence and the Hurricanes scored with the man advantage.

Of course, it didn't help that Nikolai Khabibulin couldn't stop a beach ball as he gave up four goals on eight shots in less than eight minutes before Tom Renney gave him the hook in favour of Devan Dubnyk.

Things can only get better Thursday in Detroit, no?

WHAT I SAW

• Lament Cogliano's lack of finish, but give him credit for getting sewn up and playing his bag off the rest of the night. The sequence where Cogliano broke in, fed Ryan Whitney in the slot for a chance that didn't result in a shot and then had a couple of cracks at Cam Ward was pretty much the epitome of the way it's going for him. I'll take Cogliano's kind of try any time, and people who mock efforts like this one because the results aren't coming for the kid right now couldn't find a clue with a map and a flashlight.
  • Ryan Jones suckered the referees into calling a high-sticking penalty on Jay Harrison in the second period and it's the kind of fake-job that'll come back to bite him when the zebras see the replay. Harrison didn't even make contact with Jones, but he flinched and milked it like he'd taken shaft in the mush. That's showing up the refs and they don't forget that kind of thing -- and, no, it's not OK because of the missed call on Pitkanen.
  • Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle are favourites for the Calder Trophy? Weren't they stapled to the pine for most of the third period as Carolina's Jeff Skinner, the youngest player in the NHL, wheeled and dealed on the way to a three-point night?
  • Does pushing the puck the last six inches across the goal line for the Oilers only goal make you believe Dustin Penner had a good night?

BY THE NUMBERS

• With his goal and two assists, Skinner, drafted seventh overall by Carolina, has scored 6-9-15 this season.
  • Eric Staal had eight shots on Khabibulin and Dubnyk, but no goals to go with four assists.
  • Carolina had 42 shots. They came in averaging 31.9 a game.
  • Sam Gagner was minus-4. Tom Gilbert was minus-3.
  • Hall played just 8:47. Eberle played 11:04.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 lenny
November 10 2010, 02:33PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

If this Omark fellow can also drive his shoulder into an opposing players torso sending him through the glass, then i'm all for bringing him up. Jacques can't get up here soon enough.

Oh you mean like Hall does or Eberle, maybe like Horkov or MPS, Hemsky or Cogliano. Oh I know, like Penner with all his 6' 4".

#52 PaperDesigner
November 10 2010, 02:42PM

To quote Bruce McCurdy via Cult of Hockey:

"At even strength was on the ice for 21 attempted shots by the Oilers, just 8 for the 'Canes; and was on the bench for 18 attempted shots for the Oilers, 37 for the 'Canes. Read that again, and then tell me Penner had a bad game against the Hurricanes."

I only caught part of the game, but that would suggest to me that Penner was having a good game, and very few other players were doing well.

Not that best of a bad bunch means much. But at this point, can't we just accept that Penner can be an effective hockey player without looking like it? He's subtle. That he occasionally shows flashes of aggression doesn't change the fact that he's essentially a gigantic, better hands version of Fernando Pisani.

#53 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 10 2010, 02:54PM
lenny wrote:

A guy cut from the Curt Brackenbury mold would go a long way to protect some of these guys. Brackenbury's play was equally as breathtaking, same word, he just applied it a little differently. With this type of player on the Oilers bench the opposition knew they were in for a difficult evening.

#54 lenny
November 10 2010, 03:04PM

What are you talking about? Who is Curt Brackenbury? If you mean Penner, when did he drive somebody thru the glass and if you are talking about JFJ why do you think after the surgery and a year of rehabilitation he is going to risk it to protect someone except his own back?

#55 Fake Name
November 10 2010, 03:05PM

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true."

Robin,

We have a lot in common, to be honest. I find myself agreeing with you more often than most of the "experts" in the sports media regarding all things Oilers. I also notice you don't have much of a tolerance for dissenting opinions.

Since this is your corner of the blogosphere, it's your perogative to moderate, judge, delete, ban or bounce whatever you see fit. I would just like to respectfully point out that an internet forum where everybody echoes the same opinion gets boring quickly.

My 2 cents:

1) I like Penner, but he doesn't look as driven as he did a year ago. Is he satisfied with proving MacT wrong and coasting a little?

2) I think Cogliano has shown some decent effort, especially lately. I don't think he wants to be upstaged by the rookies and that has added some nitrous to his fuel.

FN

-I don't use my real name when I post.

-I believe statistics can have a place in analyzing performance.

-I don't agree with Dawgbone all the time, but have never thought of him as being a troll. Just a blunt guy, kind of like RB.

-Woodguy is a intelligent and often quite funny poster in the world of Oiler blogs.

***Why can't we all just get along?***

#56 lenny
November 10 2010, 03:09PM

Brownlee you must be my brother and was in the room when my mother said to me- when you have nothing good to say don't say anything.

#57 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 10 2010, 03:52PM
lenny wrote:

I already gave you your homework, now go do it, learn something, don't play your spin games with me.

Oh, and you're looking at the pre Milly Vanilly era there kid.

#58 lenny
November 10 2010, 04:08PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Oh, and you're looking at the pre Milly Vanilly era there kid.

Last time I did homework was 35 years ago kid, and if you dont know people don't say anything.

#59 Robin Brownlee
November 10 2010, 04:17PM

@Fake Name

Dissenting opinions are fine. Being told I have my head up my ass by the same people who come at me with that approach time after time isn't. If I was so inclined, I could keep and then post every comment I've ever deleted and you could see what's getting cut and from whom. "I disagree because . . ." gets in every time. "You're a blah, blah, blah" gets answered in the same tone or cut altogether. I won't take it in person and I won't take it here. That's my call.

A lot of people see things differently than I do and they often make arguments that not only make me re-think my stance on something but prompt me to change my mind altogether.

All get along? Wouldn't that be as boring as everybody agreeing?

#60 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 10 2010, 04:36PM
lenny wrote:

So you were around in the late seventies, are you the poster child of the just say no to drugs campaign then sir?

If not, you would be aware of names like Tardif,Ftorek,Chipperfield,Goulet,Cloutier and King Richard, must be that or perhaps you're speaking with a forked tongue....no?

#61 Fake Name
November 10 2010, 05:44PM

Fair enough, Robin, I didn't see Dawgbone's post and if it did say that, it was certainly fair game for deletion.

The "get along/Rodney King" bit was not meant to be taken literally, as you may have guessed.

...and I will use my real name whenever someone pays me to talk on the radio or post a blog, but until then, I can live with being anonymous.

#62 hoil
November 10 2010, 06:39PM
Next up, is Connor McJesus. wrote:

Love the Brackenbury reference, he was maniac hitter for sure. Those Oilers had enough toughness to go with their skill to make him expendable after a year or so, though. He could sure make the boards rattle, though, couldn't he?

If they found a Kevin McClelland clone, however, I would be a happy camper. Hands of stone in both the good and bad sense, he could hold his own on a regular checking line.

#63 Bucknuck
November 10 2010, 06:40PM

I wonder how much different the outcome might have been with horcoff in the lineup.

#64 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
November 10 2010, 07:31PM
hoil wrote:

He lived for the big hit, that's for sure. You knew where you stood with Curt, if he liked you he knocked you off your feet to take you out of the play, if he didn't like you he knocked you off your feet and you needed help off the ice. When he had you in the tracks, that pain train was imminant, he hit you to hurt you. Taking his victim out of the play wasn't good enough for Curt.

The current Oiler team could really benifit from this type of player, for most the last decade the Oilers have been far to easy to play against, there's little resistance as other players have run amuk over the Oilers with no consequences.

I know many won't agree with my thought process here but a little controlled violence will go along way to opening some doors/space for the nucleous of this team. Initiate it, don't react to it. A 6' tall roided version of Cal Clutterbuck would be a good start for this club.

**hits play button to resume watching Braveheart**

#65 Cowbell_Feva
November 10 2010, 10:01PM

Of course the Oil got lambasted. "Mr.Everything" wasn't playing. Ask Jedi master OB1-Team Hall. Surely if he was playing it would have been 7-1 for the Oilers.

There is cheering for your team and having a soft spot for players on that team, and there is flat out delusion. I still cannot figure out how or where the delusion on Horc's ever came to be?

#66 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
November 10 2010, 10:56PM
Cowbell_Feva wrote:

Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold medal winning coach Mike Babcock said:

"but one thing not a lot of people are talking about is Horcoff is back healthy. He is a real good two-way centre and he's looked good."

But I suppose your keen eye and superior hockey knowledge has allowed you to outsmart Babcock.

#67 michael
November 11 2010, 09:03AM
lenny wrote:

Curt Brakenbury was and is an Oiler Alumni. He hit everything in sight and played with the team during the 80-81 and 81-82 season. Hard nosed. There wasn't a fight he didn't like. He played for the Quebec Nordiques for many seasons in the WHA. He also was I believe a strength and conditioning coach for the OIlers for a couple of seasons. A charcter guy who stood up for his teammates. Old school player who was a fan favorite.JF Jasques or Penner would be lucky to be compared to Brackenbury. He showed up every night and played hard every shift. A good Oiler. Played his role.

#68 Philips
November 11 2010, 12:24PM

For some reason Stephen Colbert comes to mind:

"I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what are the facts."

Can't argue with that kind of thinking...

#69 Cowbell_Feva
November 11 2010, 10:49PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold medal winning coach Mike Babcock said:

Are you kidding me? Seriously, do you think Mike Babcock is going to come out in the media and say that he is an overpaid plug?

This is probably part of your problem, you listen to what you hear in the Edmonton media as gospel, and don't have enough hockey sense to watch with your own eyes to see what is actually happening.