Rama Lama fa fa fa

Lowetide
December 17 2010 06:35PM

History can teach us many things. Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Don't cheat on any woman, and get it in writing. Oilers history has a few cautionary tales for modern fans and one of the most important is the following: enjoy these kids as they emerge as NHL players. Some day, money and playing time and other "life" items will cloud the view.

This is a portion of a Dick Chubey article that appeared in the October 1987 Hockey News:

• There are cracks in the foundation that could spring a leak in Edmonton's hopes for a 4th Stanley Cup in 5 years. Capable of being a starting goaltender on most other NHL teams, Andy Moog grew tired of awaiting a trade and made good on a threat to play for the Canadian Olympic team. Half of the Stanley defense--Paul Coffey (holding out), Randy Gregg (Olympic team) and Reijo Ruotsalainen (returned to Finland) isn't with the team. They also need to replace Kent Nilsson, who is off to Italy.

The Oilers enjoy better ownership than the day that was written, and the salary cap means there's only so much money to go around. I submit though that the possibility exists that the Edmonton Oilers will one day have to choose between talents like Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Pääjärvi.

Their markers will come due at the same time. The club can deal Penner and Hemsky and ride out the Khabibulin contract, but there's a massive payday down the line and if these kids continue to have success it'll be a helluva problem. Not unlike the old timey Oilers, who boasted Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr, Moog, Lowe and others. Not everyone could play, not everyone could get paid.

I know, I know. This is a little early in the game to be crying "to arms" but there's method to my madness. Driving around the city today and talking to a few Oiler fans, I got the feeling that last night's game didn't inspire a lot of people. The Jackets goalie was terrible, the club was outshot and outchanced and the first period was a cluster-something. Oiler Nation is already a little jaded.

All true. ALL EXPECTED. Folks, these are kids. ENJOY THEM. When they're scoring goals from everywhere, drink deep and hold it until you've sucked everything you can out of the game.

There will be plenty of time to analyze and find fault and bitch and moan. Take it from someone who thought the Glory Days would last forever: milk this thing, even at this early stage. It's later than you think.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 stevero
December 17 2010, 06:49PM
stevero wrote:

My very FIST FIST

Don't I look like a horse's pitoot!

#2 book¡e
December 17 2010, 10:51PM
The Hall Way wrote:

Thats funny i had this same conversation with a friend of mine at Boston Pizza, not more than an hour ago.

Is your friend's name Allan and did he say he had to get home to do some writing on his blog? If so, I have something important to tell you about your friend Allan: He's Batman

#3 positivebrontefan
December 17 2010, 06:51PM
stevero wrote:

My very FIST FIST

Fail!!!

#4 magisterrex
December 17 2010, 08:48PM
Lowetide wrote:

I ALWAYS get that line wrong. ALWAYS. Dammit.

Inconceivable!

#5 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
December 17 2010, 06:44PM

Well Said

#6 Top Right
December 17 2010, 07:44PM

Must say that this article gave me a knot in my stomach. A very real possibility

#8 Hack The Bone
December 17 2010, 09:07PM

And never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

#9 Oilertown
December 18 2010, 08:16AM

Cmon now Campbell Hossa Kane Toews Seabrook Keith that combined has to be a hell of alot more then Horcoff Hemsky and 3 new contracts for the wonderkinds in 3 years. The kids arnt going anywhere anytime soon

#10 stevero
December 17 2010, 06:45PM

My very FIST FIST

#11 Mr. Pederson
December 17 2010, 06:52PM

Rocket Reducer is my favorite MC5 song :-).

#12 The Hall Way
December 17 2010, 07:11PM

#13 Senator Theo
December 17 2010, 07:25PM

We don't know what the salary cap will do between now and then, but Chicago was able to keep Kane and Toewes as well as the Hossa contract, not to mention Seabrook and Keith.

I know they had to gut the rest of the lineup, but it's too early to worry about choosing, IMO.

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder to enjoy this time right now - I really think we are seeing something special happen.

#14 Harlie
December 17 2010, 07:43PM

thanks LT, I usually do drink deep during the games. I leave the sucking in everything part to the wife tho.

#15 Hoser
December 17 2010, 07:47PM

Lowetide: it's "never get involved in a land war in Asia". Princess Bride.

Merry Christmas.

#16 jake
December 17 2010, 07:50PM

The looney vs. the US greenback is or has been near par for a while now, shouldn't dip too low in years to come....the Oilers have a wealthy enough owner, let's ditch the salary cap now please :)

#17 one (cold) canadian
December 17 2010, 08:23PM

Make no mistake kids, we ARE seeing something very special happening to our team.

I predict the first big free agent signing in the summer of '12

The word is getting out.

#18 Jmask5
December 17 2010, 09:06PM

If the Salary cap keeps going up 1 to 2 mill every year we should be fine.

#19 Oilcruzer
December 17 2010, 09:27PM

Shhhhhhhhh # seven defenseman for points in the league. In the league. Top two ish rookies in the league. Shhhhhhhh

#20 Evilstu
December 17 2010, 09:28PM

Dont take a rock to a tank fight.

#21 book¡e
December 17 2010, 10:49PM
stevero wrote:

Don't I look like a horse's pitoot!

You know that there is an edit function that would allow you to change that to say something like - Great article LT, I am happy I took the time to read it so I could post second....

Editing changes the original comment AND all of the following quotes of it!

#22 book¡e
December 17 2010, 10:53PM

Screw you LT - the good times are going to last FOREVER! Stop wrecking my life with your reality based negativity.

Edit: :)

#23 Gret99zky
December 17 2010, 11:20PM

You mean the salary cap is not going up?

You mean Penner and Hemsky due a payday?

You mean TambLowelini hasn't thought of this?

I'm not sure what you are implying here LT.

#24 Robin Brownlee
December 17 2010, 11:57PM

Dick Chubey says hello, Alin.

#25 Wäx Män Riley
December 18 2010, 12:08AM

It makes me wonder what Hemsky and Penner would get on the open market. Hemsky may be known as "injury prone", but he is a talent that could be coming into his time, and Penner .... is Penner. Big, good hands, occasional domination while going to the net, but doesn't always seem to know how big he is. Wasn't this Penner's payday contract already? Penner or Hemsky couldn't ask for more that 3.5, could they?

And as far, as the big 3 contracts that are coming up in 3 years, lets see how they do in their 3rd year.

*Covers his head with jackets and hides as he is torn between squeeing uncontrollably, and woefully sobbing when thinking about how good Hall, Eberle, and Päjäärvi will look in 3 years.

#26 AlbertaMan
December 18 2010, 12:46AM

LT: I wish there was a way to give "props" to your articles. This one is like a work of art. Almost makes me emotional/sentimental.

#27 TigerUnderGlass
December 18 2010, 02:05AM

Off topic comment...

Does anyone know what a guy like Couture would have cost last year vs. what he would cost now? (in trade value in case it wasn't obvious)

#28 Mitch
December 18 2010, 07:40AM

@Lowetide

You hit the nail on the head when you said they will probably have to move Penner and Hemsky to sign the 3 kids. I have made this statement before posting, maybe my salary numbers were off base but this will happen, unless cba rules change.

#30 King Mob
December 18 2010, 09:03AM

Dick Chubey. heh.

#31 madjam
December 18 2010, 11:17AM

Need one more part to this years rookie takeoff crew . A big stay at home defenceman would complete the FACEPLANTE theory .Planteification for the nation ?

#32 D-Man
December 18 2010, 11:25AM
Mitch wrote:

@Lowetide

Tambo won't move both... He's got enough cap room to sign one... Remember - there will most likely be another 2 to 5 more roster spots next year for more entry level contracts too... I can't imagine you'd see Struds or Vandermeer (not at $2.3 million) here next year... Jones, JFJ and Stortini are all due as well... Smac only signed a one year deal... Smac and Jones are UFA's; JFJ and Storts are RFA's... I would imagine two of those four are signed... COGS, Smid and Teddy Peckman are also RFA's but Tambo won't leave any of those guys without a tender..

In short, Tambo has done somewhat of a decent job with the cap to give himself some breathing room (barring another stupid Khabby signing)... He'll have room to sign either Penner or Hemsky to a $5.5 million/$6.0 million contract if need be... My vote is to give that coin to Hemsky; but that is another debate in itself...

#33 Mitch
December 18 2010, 01:01PM

@Lowetide

@ Lowetide I think Hemsky will be happy to sign a value contract, if he knowns in his heart that the Oilers will be a cup contender for many yrs to come. This is way to tough to perdict, I don't blame a player when a team throws millions of dollars at a guy, could Hemsky be the oilers Yzerman?

#34 Team Hall
December 18 2010, 06:02PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Dick Chubey says hello, Alin.

That's what she said.

#35 Lawndemon
December 18 2010, 09:33PM

Fantastic MC5 reference. One of the greatest bands of all time.

That is all.