The Airing of Grievances

Lowetide
December 22 2010 09:29PM

Frank Costanza: "And at the Festivus dinner, you gather your family around, and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year!" On Festivus eve, I thought it might be an idea to get a head start.

Here are my issues with the Edmonton Oilers hockey club:

1. Why don't you address the penality kill? It's really horrible. Call up Reddox, make a trade or sign one of the many free agents still out there. But do something. I don't expect this team to make the playoffs (making me more realistic than the coach) but lordy it would be nice for the kids to see how a penalty kill works.
  2. Faceoffs. Win them! I was listening to a Logan Couture interview the other day and he says the Sharks pride themselves on winning faceoffs. It's a real focus for the entire team, from the coaching staff all the way down to the wingers who don't take too many draws. They're all pulling together. What are they doing that the Oilers aren't doing? Couture is over 50%. Why is that? Maybe someone should look into it since it's been an issue since 2006 spring.
  3. I don't like the implied threats about the arena. I trust the Oilers know exactly what they're doing in terms of public relations, the way an adult female knows exactly what is and isn't covered with every outfit she owns. There's an undeniable message being sent when "leaks" about "relocating to Quebec City" are allowed to float out into the ether for a few hours before the "we have no plans to move the Oilers at this time" presser reaches the bloodstream. I hope the Katz group remembers there is an enormous amount of resentment over the way Peter Pocklington went Harold Hill on this city and its residents. Let the giant sleep. If it wakes, you won't like it.
  4. Be nicer to Northlands. You're going to be hiring their employees soon. We're seeing the last few months of Northlands. It's like one of those nature shows where the cheetah takes a snake bite and dies over 8 hours. Painful. The Katz plan (as I understand it) will render Northlands obsolete, but the employees represent Marian the librarian and could be very important to the finale. Anyway, I hope it works out but we're miles from 'Til There Was You.

That's about it. Happy Festivus, everyone! And best of the holidays to you!

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Chris.
December 23 2010, 10:10AM

I hate that pure hockey trades almost never happen anymore.

#2 Archaeologuy
December 22 2010, 11:40PM

My list of grievances...

1) no matter how well Gagner plays there are still people that want him run out of town because he doesn't shop at big and tall.

2) JF Jacques is still in the NHL. How is this happening? Does he shop at big and tall?

3) Why don't I have an iPad App for this site? How hard could it be to make one? Dont programmers just face-roll onto their keyboards and BLAMMO, awesome crap is created?

4) At the beginning of the year I had to pick a goat even though I didn't want to have one. I chose Whitney. If he doesn't implode soon I might have to start eating crow.

#3 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
December 23 2010, 07:31AM
longbottom/P.Biglow wrote:

Hey Robin I heard a rumor out of a Calgary fan today the big trade that both eams want in between the flames and the Oilers. - to Edmonton J-BP and Curtis Glenncross -To calgary Paajarvi, Omark and Cogs. MY question is would there be anything up in that reguard? And would You do it? I would in a nano second.

holy sh1t man, be better.

maybe santa will bring you a big bag of common sense for christmas

#4 Chris.
December 23 2010, 12:04PM

I think Tyler, Dennis, Gregor, and Brownlee should get together for the Feats-Of-Strenght portion of Festivus. I think Wayne should stream the encounter live on this site... AND I think Archeologuy should be commissioned to design a video game that commemorates the event.

That is all.

#5 Wanyes bastard child
December 22 2010, 10:47PM

@Dennis

My grievance... whats your issue with Gregor? Did he date your sister or something and then dump her leaving her with a broken heart?

You've come along way since your fly by night runs at anything Brownlee had to say or post but it seems lately that you are holding Gregor personally accountable for everything the MSM says or doesn't say to the team regarding the PK or face off issues.

You have interesting insight a lot of the time and while I may not read your blog I do stop to read your comments on here but it seems that every second or third comment you are calling out Jason to call out the coaches. Can you please give it up, let the dead horse be beaten and just hope that it gets fixed in the next year or two?

Seriously, its not like a question about the PK or the faceoff from Jason is going to make Tambs think "Holy sh!t, you mean our PK/FO really does suck!? Thanks for pointing this out man, we'll get on it right away!" They can read stats, see what their team is doing and know what is going on. With the salary cap and in this day and age its not as easy to address all the glaring holes in your roster, especially when your in a rebuild. Sure there are some moves and non-moves that could have been handled MUCH better but this is the team we have so deal with it. Next year will be different.

#6 Robin Brownlee
December 23 2010, 12:35PM

That within 72 hours of Christmas, an item that should provide a lighthearted distraction is turned into yet another sneering, axe-to-grind waste of time.

#7 AlbertaMan
December 23 2010, 01:10AM

I gotta lot of problems with you people, now you're gonna to hear about it. You, Katz, my son tells me your team stinks. Katz, you couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a ba..... Lost my train of thought.

#8 Oilcruzer
December 23 2010, 04:26AM

Festivus Very few. Been a lot of smart play by Oil But in the spirit of Christmas, here are my complaints.

1. Octane. Do it right or not at all. This is cheese. 2. JFJ 3. Arena stuff. Get it done. 4. People who think input is all about disagreeing with someones well thought out idea. Come up with your own ideas you brainiacs, instead of ranting how the contributors got it wrong.

#9 Aendayana
December 23 2010, 08:39AM

And the fact that you would do it in a nanosecond makes me question your allegiance.

#10 Tyler
December 23 2010, 08:47AM

Have your say about the team, but don't slip back into the habit of taking digs at the writers here. You've been told before. This is the last time I'll say it.

Feel free to kick the living hell out of Tencer though. That's entirely ok.

#11 TigerUnderGlass
December 23 2010, 10:45AM

Is it just me or is Dennis' comment getting blown a wee bit out of proportion?

#12 GarbageManBrian
December 23 2010, 06:31AM

Well as far as Northlands goes, the only thing I really like is the bartender in my section. She gets my drink right every time before I get a chance to order it. The food and service are expensive but the upside is it tastes awful.

Merry Christmas to the the entire Nation

#13 DoubleTap
December 23 2010, 09:01AM

@Robin Brownlee

I don't comment a lot but I read the articles/comments on this site daily.

I particularly enjoy reading the rants (I never really noticed Tencers shallow advertising on the radio, but now I cringe every time I hear it).

But all things considered, this comment bothers me. I don’t think its appropriate for a writer such as yourself to threaten people for taking shots at you guys. It goes both ways and its part of the healthy mash up of dribble that is the inter webs. I completely disagree with Dennis but seeing this post really takes away from the conversation and the value of this site as a whole.

You and Gregor do a fine job, Dennis is uninformed and his jabs at you guys just prove the point for all of us in the Nation.

#14 GSC
December 23 2010, 10:30AM

Grievances:

1) Many fans taking the easy way out and blaming Tambellini instead of the players and/or coaches. He's the favorite whipping boy of the "Oilogosphere," and it's not fully deserved. He isn't perfect, but he's not entirely to blame for this debacle.

2) If Jacques is not an NHL player, then neither is Stortini.

3) Cogliano does nothing as a centre. Can't win draws, doesn't score, and drags his linemates down with him.

4) Dubnyk should receive more starts. This team is supposed to be about the future, so let the kid have his time between the pipes.

#15 OldSchool
December 22 2010, 09:44PM

Thank you Lowetide for the rational and reasonable take on the new arena and Northlands.

Too many with vested interests in the media, like Stauffer push their employers point of view every time they get a chance.

We're not all going to drink the Koolaid.

You and Gregor are probably the two most reasonable and level headed people in the media. Stauffer has turned me off from listening to his show ever since the new arena became a topic of discussion.

#16 Dennis
December 22 2010, 10:21PM

I can't believe that points 1 and 2 are still an issue.

The Oilers Try to sign Malholtra to win draws and kill penalties but because he wouldn't come here the Effort seems to be enough from their end; it's an attitude that's even supported by media like Gregor for instance.

You either find those guys or you FAIL in trying to do so.

There aren't any grey areas.

Old 34 was a hell of a PK guy here and why not bring him back on the 4th line so he's around for that purpose. Old 19 was a guy that grated on some fans because of MacT's love for him but the things he could do well - faceoffs and PK - aren't talents that are easily found.

At least not when it comes to Lowe and Tambellini.

#17 book¡e
December 22 2010, 10:34PM

It's a tough year to ask those questions because the answer might be "Losing faceoffs and having a terrible PK are great ways to assist in getting a lower draft pick. Also, of all of the challenges in team building, they are the easiest to fix quickly". With an up and coming team and a fair bit of cap space, these things can be fixed over the summer. Now, given the history of the Oilers, I am not saying they WILL be fixed, all I am saying is that when you are designing a team to lose (See ST3.1) then you should accidentally leave a few serious gaping, but easily fixed, holes in your lineup.

I honestly wonder if the Maholtra stuff in Oil Change was just BS to try and cover the obvious 'tank job'. Or, more likely, if they could get him for 3 years, then he could be here as the team gets competitive and he could play a leadership/teaching role.

Anyway - Happy Festivus (for the rest of us).

#18 Dan the Man
December 22 2010, 10:39PM
Dennis wrote:

I can't believe that points 1 and 2 are still an issue.

You either find those guys or you FAIL in trying to do so.

There aren't any grey areas.

At least not when it comes to Lowe and Tambellini.

How was the PK the last few years Pisani was here?

#19 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
December 22 2010, 10:53PM

I'm not convinced that Katz is 100% committed to the city of Edmonton, he is a businessman first and foremost, and will likely make the best decision for his portfolio. I dont think that he and his billions are too worried about what "Edmontonions" would think about him if he were to upset them in some way. Now the Oilers brass said that they did not discuss relocation with the Quebec mayor, but come on, do we really think that he didnt at least ask the question. Having a semi-interested existing team would further Quebec-City's cause to get a publicly funded arena, just as an interested city will help Katz's cause to get one as well.

In the end, I do not think that the team will go anywhere, but there will be a lot of threats from both sides, maybe even a game of chicken.

I also wonder how many of the people who are complaining about a publicly funded arena, would be complaining if the team were to move.

As for Reddox, he was not, is not, nor will be the answer for our PK. He is a good AHLer killing penaltys against fellow AHLers, will he really fair as good on the PK against NHLers?? Really

#20 Robin Brownlee
December 22 2010, 11:33PM

@Dennis

Let's not go down this road again because you know where it leads.

If you've got something to say about Oilers management, then feel free to have at it. Nothing Jason, I or anybody else who writes for this website (or in our MSM jobs) represents a part of the team's decision making process.

#21 pelhem grenville
December 23 2010, 05:55AM

...that Flamer fan is dreaming in technicolor, baiting your longar$e into thinking this 'deal' would EVER be considered...even WITH my Glencross crush ...hello, 91 is in the Oiler showcase with 4 and one-four mate!

there's no trading the pieces in the showcase!

even the stodgiest oldballs like me wouldn't trade the YouTube sensation either

...at least not yet.

#22 Woodguy
December 23 2010, 07:13AM
Dan the Man wrote:

How was the PK the last few years Pisani was here?

Last year the Oiler's PK finished tied for 22nd in the league with 7.1GA/60 4v5.

This year the Oiler's PK is 30th with 10.9GA/60.

So the answer is much, much worse.

They are letting in 50%(!!!) more goals per 60 than last year.

If you like to rate PK's based on the NHL metric of %, then:

Last year the Oilers were 26th with a 78% kill rate.

This year the Oilers are 30th with a 71.3% kill rate.

They are killing 10% less penalties (!!)

NHL.com has stats going back to the 97/98 season. The only team to come close to the Oiler's level of ineptitude on the PK is last year's Toronto team that finished with 74.6%

Its a historically horrid PK.

#23 Oilchange64
December 23 2010, 07:17AM

1) Bi polar fans. 2) Rexall debate. 3) Armchair GM's who think that somebody who is worthless on this team will attract a real asset. 4) the Toronto Maple Leafs & Calgary Flames (though I have taken some pleasure from their misery this year). 5) Winter in general. 6) Gary Bettman.

Here's wishing a fantastic holiday season & New Year to the Nation!

#24 Dyckster
December 23 2010, 08:44AM

Happy Holidays to all you ON'ers

Fistivus Grievance, I have but one.

It befuddles me how a Wanye article which identify's the best minty fresh toothpaste to use after eating a TacoTime Super Beef Burrito turns into a Penner and/or Horcoff hate thread.

A) Stick with the subject (for the most part) B) Penner & Horcoff ROCK!

HOHOHO!

#25 Dennis
December 23 2010, 08:53AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Let's not go down this road again because you know where it leads.

I just still get a kick out of Jason saying the PK's performance wasn't a big deal just because I thought it was:)

It was a terrible PK even back then so when I wondered aloud why it wasn't being discussed by the MSM - Gregor being one of those guys - he basically told me I was the only one who thought that a potentially historically bad PK was an issue.

I don't know how anyone else can't see the humour in that.

Anyway, ban or delete or do whatever you wish. If I see a point where I think someone's avoiding an issue or being oblivious to it then it's just in my nature to point it out.

Criticizing what someone's written or what they avoid is different then talking about someone personally. I'm not going to the point of saying that you or Jason are bad guys; I'm just saying that the STATS called for a treatment or discussion on the PK: it wasn't like I was making up the numbers or anything:)

#26 Dennis
December 23 2010, 09:13AM
DoubleTap wrote:

I don't comment a lot but I read the articles/comments on this site daily.

This is an interesting reply because while I think this guy or gal is way off the mark when he says I'm misinformed - they don't say of what or qualify how - I do agree with him when he says there has to be give-and-take.

The other day Gregor took a dig at me about the PK and told me I clearly wasn't watching all that clearly what was going on. OK, maybe he's right on that. But I could also say the same about his opinion that 67 should get a shot at pivot given that Brule's got a ten-cent head when it comes to looking after his own end.

I think it all should be fine unless it's personal.

So, in closing, I apologize to Gregor if he thinks it's personal because it's not.

#27 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 23 2010, 09:29AM

@ Dennis

We all know the PK/FO are horrific right now, most of us know/will admit that the majority of the burden falls on the shoulders of the GM for ignoring (or not seeing) the glaring weekness. (assuming he isn't intentionally tanking)

Now what *exactly* are you looking for? I've heard both issues brought up on JAG multiple times, I've read comments from the writers here talking about both issues.

I'm also confident that an article on ON, or even in the Sun/Journal isn't going to change the caliber of play in either area, or inspire moves to address.

Maybe a letter to Tambellini would be a more effective avenue for your grievance?

#28 GSC
December 23 2010, 10:24AM
Tyler wrote:

Feel free to kick the living hell out of Tencer though. That's entirely ok.

The "Toronto-based lawyer" fancies himself a cowboy now, eh?

By the way, Brownlee said "taking digs at the writers here." Don't get ahead of yourself, hombre.

#29 Chaz
December 23 2010, 10:34AM

My grievance of the year is for those twits in the Spiderman outfits next to the penalty box in Vancouver. I see this week that there is now one in Toronto too.

Please Edmonton; do not allow this to happen here. If someone comes dressed like this to a game at Rexall we must pledge to collectively ridicule and berate them to a point that they will never want to show up in the outfit again. As an Oiler fan I never want to have to see this in our town.

And for the tools in Vancouver, just once I'd like the plexi-glass to magically disappear so the player in the box could get at you two. We'll see how tough you are then....losers.

#30 BarryS
December 23 2010, 10:55AM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

Is it just me or is Dennis' comment getting blown a wee bit out of proportion?

It is but nothing else much happening. Rosters are frozen, but I guess it doesn't apply to coaches. Must be nice to be a boss who royally screws things up and can then fires the foreman because of it.

#31 Tyler
December 23 2010, 11:10AM

BarryS -

I don't think Edmonton's a "Blame management" city at all. The media know who is likely to be here in three years and it's not the players. The media, IMO, set the tone for the fans. If the screw has turned at all lately, it's only been in the past year or so, when they've really bottomed out. In any event, blaming JF Jacques for not being a first line forward is, IMO, silly. Blame the guys who thought he was one, were proven wrong and brought him back anyway.

Pajamah -

For a blog that nobody reads, it was sure mentioned a lot on TSN, CBC, Yahoo! and most major national newspapers in the past two months.

#32 Horcsky
December 23 2010, 12:06PM

Grievances:

1) When you dump the puck in and every player on the ice goes for a change, it is a turnover. Make smarter dump-ins.

2) Make smarter changes. There are usually a handful of odd-man rushes that come after a slow change and turnover that fans can see coming every game.

3) Half of the shots in the Sharks game were us just sliding the puck along the ice to the goalie. Shoot with purpose.

That is all, everyone else already covered my other grievances. Merry Xmas!

#33 Dennis
December 23 2010, 02:05PM
speeds wrote:

I'm certainly not saying this issue has never been talked up, but I don't know that I've heard anyone ask Tambellini something like:

This summer, many fans/people thought the PK needed to be addressed as it was radically undermanned in terms of established PK personnel. Currently, the PK unit is beyond mediocre. Would you say that it's accurate to state that some fans able to see this deficiency while you did not? Or, did you accurately see and assess the current personnel, and just decide to see what they can do on the PK given the opportunity? Reasoning that if they stink (as you probably expected), it helps the draft pick and gives some players a chance to PK at the NHL level? And if they surprised you and performed well, or grow into performing well, it would help you long term?"

I think Mike pretty much nails it here.

My overall point is the PK's been terrible for awhile now and it's not like one chance and it's in the net and it's bad luck: the units give up a lot of chances and the results are bought and paid for.

Renney had some good PK results with the Rags but not too long enough he gave a lot of that credit to his old assistant Perry Pearn so maybe that's a bit part of the story too. What I've seen is too many lost faceoffs, poor planning and perhaps and most likely not enough PK-able guys on the roster.

One of those is on the coaching staff and the other two are on Lowe and Co.

Nothing personal from me; it just seems odd to me that more people don't think it's a bigger deal and especially considering some of the underlying issues have been issues for years.

#34 freeze
December 22 2010, 09:36PM

Awesome. Happy Fistivus, Nation!

My grippes are about the same LT. Good point about the employees as well, I hadn't considered that one.

Another grippe for me is how bi-polar a vocal section of the Oil fan base can be. Relax, its just a game (and it is a marathon).

(couldn't help myself on the fist.)

#35 9 Inches Uncut
December 22 2010, 10:42PM

I kind of have a tough time commiserating with the fact the Oilers charge huge sums of money to view their product and then ice a guy like Jason Strudwick.

He provides nothing on the ice now and certainly not the future. Time to put him to pasture.

Same with Jacques but that situation is far more comical to me.

#36 9 Inches Uncut
December 22 2010, 10:46PM

@Dan the Man

Well Pisani missed a lot of games and one guy can't save what is a team issue but it was no great shakes with him here but it looks to be worse without him.

#37 Jaime
December 22 2010, 11:10PM

The best holiday-themed jersey ever.

#38 Bucknuck
December 23 2010, 12:41AM

Love this.

I have very little faith in Tambellini. I hope that he is trying to get a top five draft pick because if he isn't then I consider him ineffective.

Two years and sweet FA in the way of team improvement that wasn't provided by the scouting staff.

#39 kgogshig
December 23 2010, 12:51AM

The points #1 and #2 are the same

If you win the face-off, you kill the penalty (85% of the time)

#40 misfit
December 23 2010, 01:14AM
Dan the Man wrote:

How was the PK the last few years Pisani was here?

The PK this year is killing 71.3% of the Oilers' penalties taken. Even though Pisani missed much of the last few years, it was never that low in the year's Pies was on the team.

So to answer your question: Better than without him.

#41 longbottom/P.Biglow
December 23 2010, 02:06AM

Everone knew going in that they were going to give Cogs and bruke bigger roles, aka the P/P and theO/k. they brought in Fraser to help win draws (hell evenGagner's f/o% has risenFraser clearly hasn't helped Cogs and bruls took steps back offensively. In saying this its not Tambellini's fault the moves didnt work out the way they were supposed to. Storts and JFJ haven't worked either.

#42 longbottom/P.Biglow
December 23 2010, 02:12AM

#43 Garth
December 23 2010, 02:53AM

Well LT, looks like we've got Trouble right here in Oil City.

Shipoopi.

#44 A Sad Panda
December 23 2010, 04:28AM
longbottom/P.Biglow wrote:

Lets see, an overpaid defenceman who can't produce in the Western Conference and a bottom six grinder for two offensive prospects who's potential hasn't even been glimpsed yet and a toss in bottom six player with blazing speed and stone hands? No chance in hell that trade gets made, if Tambo did anything other then laugh in Sutter face a tragedy has occurred (not implying this actually happened, simply hypothetical).

Edit: I'm assuming "J-BP" is supposed to be "J-BO*"

#45 Stone Hands McOsta
December 23 2010, 05:31AM
longbottom/P.Biglow wrote:

Are you retarded? "J-BP" is a BUST worth waaay less then he's getting, and has never been to the post season in his ENTIRE 600 game career...and why would the Oilers trade two young developing GEMS to their provincial rivals?

Give your head a shake.

#46 GarbageManBrian
December 23 2010, 06:44AM
GarbageManBrian wrote:

Merry Christmas to the the entire Nation

Oh and can we get rid of the old Royal Blue and Orange from the 80's please. They hurt my eyes

#47 Dan the Man
December 23 2010, 08:30AM

@Woodguy

@misfit

My point was that the PK hasn't been very good for a while, sure it's sunk to an all time low this year but it's a rebuild and you can't keep all of the old players. Given Pisani's age and health issues I had no problem with letting him go.

#48 Aendayana
December 23 2010, 08:35AM

I don't know how fans really feel, I mean we moan and complain so much about some pretty minor stuff but every real Oiler fan should be in a great holiday mood. We have 4 and 14, two legitimate star players developing right in front of us. Best Christmas ever. Happy holidays everyone!

#49 Aendayana
December 23 2010, 08:38AM
longbottom/P.Biglow wrote:

This is utterly ridiculous. Thats not a rumor but a wish you make as a Flamer fan when you see a shooting star. At least he was not delusional enough to ask for Hall or Eberle. Haha.

#50 Team Landeskog
December 23 2010, 08:50AM

My issue with this team is Jason Strudwick. He is clearly not an NHL d-man anymore. Not a personal attack on Jason himself, but surely there are better options out there then Strudwick.

But hey, playing more Strudwick will help the Oilers obtain another top 5 pick. And with that pick, I hope it's Mr. Gabriel Landeskog.

Would this be a good future line?

Magnus - Lander - Landeskog