GDB LIV: What a difference a goalie makes!

Jason Gregor
February 01 2010 01:41PM

Eight days ago tonight’s game looked like an epic battle for 30th place, but after four straight wins the Hurricanes are seven points ahead of the Oilers. Have the Canes being playing great hockey all of a sudden? Not really, but their goalie, Sherwood Park native Cam Ward sure is.

Ward has allowed five goals in the four game winning streak. The Canes have been out shot every game, but Ward has a ridiculous .962 SV% in those games. Meanwhile as a team, the Canes have a shooting percentage of 20 with 18 goals on only 91 shots. They won’t keep winning games if these numbers stay the same. Teams can have short stretches where everything they shoot goes in, or their goalie stops most shots, but eventually those bounces will cease.

I wrote on Friday that cheering for a win v. Calgary made sense because of pride, and of course we all saw that there didn’t seem to be much pride on the ice. So tonight, you watch the game knowing that a loss will tie the franchise record for the longest winless streak at 14 games.

Do you cheer for a record or as fans do you need to see your team win one game just to remind you how that feels?

Tough call!

With Sheldon Souray out until after the trade deadline, and possibly the rest of the season (would there be an reason to come back on March 15th) the Oilers attack becomes less potent by the day.

Alex Plante, 15th pick in 2007, will make his NHL debut tonight. Plante has been okay in Springfield according to the scouts and coaching staff. He’ll wear #48 tonight and be paired with Taylor Chorney.

They didn’t do any line rushes this morning, but at yesterday’s skate Marc Pouliot and J.F Jacques looked to be the extras. The top three lines were the same, while Mike Comrie and Zack Stortini skated with Andrew Cogliano. Jacques was invisible in Calgary and Pouliot hasn’t done much since returning from the injured list.

Sheldon Souray’s injury will force Tom Renney to make some changes on the backend. Visnovsky, Gilbert and Plante will play the right side while Strudwick, Chorney and Grebeshkov will play the left side. Strudwick will play with Alex Plante while Renney will put Chorney with Visnvosky and Gilbert back with Grebeshkov. This blueline corps definitely lacks a physical presence and we could see a few fire drills in their own zone tonight.

Jeff Deslauriers gets the start and is looking for his first win since December 30th.

CONSPIRACY THEORY?

I’m not a huge believer in conspiracy theories, although Mel Gibson was great as Jerry Fletcher in the 1997 flick especially when he bit part of Dr. Jonas’ nose off.

But many Oiler fans are concerned that the Count, aka Gary Bettman, will rig the lottery to ensure that the Hurricanes win it. Their basis to this theory is that fans in Edmonton and Boston don’t need the first overall pick to appease their fans, while Carolina needs help.

That's not necessarily the case. Some wondered why the Canes drew a measly 6,896 fans with Chicago in town on Friday. The Hawks are one of the most exciting teams in the league, yet the Canes had their lowest crowd of the season. Prior to Friday’s game their lowest crowd was just over 12,000. It doesn’t make sense that with the Hawks in town and the Canes on a three-game winning streak that only 6,896 people show up.

It's because they had six inches of snow. They actually sold 17,000 tickets and were expecting a sell out, but the weather forced many people to stay home. Even though they had 17,000 sold seats they announced the number of fans in the building. You wonder if down the stretch that will happen in Edmonton. Anyone who has been at Rexall Place knows the seats haven't been full, and you wonder if all of those are paid seats that didn't show up. I'd guess probably not.

I’d bet Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini will have a valid argument that they need the first overall pick more than Carolina does. Oiler fans have had four seasons without the playoffs, and the masses are pissed.

Also...

Interesting to note that Eric Staal spent lots of time at the end of practice working on his shot and joking around with his teammates. Great players put in the extra work and while some of you don't think it is necessary for Ales Hemsky to be any better, I'd argue he does. I see too many of the elite players in the league staying late after practice or at morning skates, and that extra work definitely doesn't hurt their game.

And it seems that TSN. ca jumped the gun on the Rangers/Flames trade. I remember back in the summer when Bob McKenzie and others on TSN were ripping the Edmonton media for jumping the gun on the Heatley story. I noticed he didn't use the same choice of words when talking about how this deal is now on hold. We all make mistakes, and I laugh when those who have ripped on someone about a mistake or jumping the gun have the exact thing happen to them. The deal might still go through, but if it doesn't I doubt they will be ripping their own site.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#1 oilguyry
February 01 2010, 01:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Go for the record now were so close

Avatar
#2 MattL
February 01 2010, 01:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Oh snap! MacKenzie just got served!

Obviously you have to cheer for a record, even if it's a horrible record. Like cheering for Buffalo's 10th goal last year. A win against Carolina isn't very exciting anyway.

And count me in with the conspiracy theorists on this issue. If I run a company like the NHL, I'm making sure my franchises get "franchise" players on my terms, not theirs. Hello Patrick Kane, Patrick Ewing, Sidney Crosby and many more.

That said, it doesn't feel like Hall and Seguin are going to be world-beaters like Crosby, Ovie, Tavares... sigh...

Avatar
#3 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 01 2010, 01:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So is Plante playing with Strudwick or Chorney?

As for the game itself, i wanna watch it but if we lose 6-1 to the second worse team in the league I might actually cry.

Any further word on the rumor of Exelby to Edmonton that was mentioned this morning?

How did Souray actually hurt himself? Was it a punch or when he hit the ice after the fight?

Avatar
#4 Ender
February 01 2010, 01:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor

If Comrie and Cogliano are on the same line, which one is playing in the middle? Any word on whether Comrie is 100% or not?

And wouldn't it be just like the Oilers to win tonight, finish in 29th on the season due to losing the tie-breaker to Carolina, lose the lottery, and end up picking third missing out on both Hall and Seguin? Could anyone actually say that's far-fetched this year?

Avatar
#5 CowboyBillFlett
February 01 2010, 02:02PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I say we sit Visnovsky till the trade deadline he is our last asset.

Avatar
#6 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
February 01 2010, 02:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
CowboyBillFlett wrote:

I say we sit Visnovsky till the trade deadline he is our last asset.

sarcasm?

Avatar
#7 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 01 2010, 02:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ender wrote:

@ Jason Gregor

If Comrie and Cogliano are on the same line, which one is playing in the middle? Any word on whether Comrie is 100% or not?

And wouldn't it be just like the Oilers to win tonight, finish in 29th on the season due to losing the tie-breaker to Carolina, lose the lottery, and end up picking third missing out on both Hall and Seguin? Could anyone actually say that's far-fetched this year?

I like seeing Comrie with Cogs and Stortini. Seems like that could be a pretty effective line.

If Chorney is skating with Plante, though, I don't think it'll matter who the forwards are.

Avatar
#8 Jamie B.
February 01 2010, 02:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I like how you guys ask, "Should we cheer for a win?" as if there's a chance a win could happen. With this D corps and goalies, seriously?

Avatar
#9 Ender
February 01 2010, 02:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jamie B. wrote:

I like how you guys ask, "Should we cheer for a win?" as if there's a chance a win could happen. With this D corps and goalies, seriously?

We're not exactly playing the San Jose Sharks here; anything is possible. If you can name six players for the Carolina Hurricanes (let alone the six starters), you're doing better than most.

Avatar
#10 Mills
February 01 2010, 02:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason Gregor

I have heard rumblings that the Oilers are going to increase ticket prices for next year. If so, what is the team's justification to the fan base for the increase?

Avatar
#11 The Towel Boy
February 01 2010, 02:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Another Pain Per View game?...jeeze.

Avatar
#12 jake
February 01 2010, 02:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemsky isn't obliged to put in the extra time but it would be nice to hear once in a while from media guys that he stayed late to work on stuff.

Avatar
#13 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 01 2010, 02:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mills wrote:

@ Jason Gregor

I have heard rumblings that the Oilers are going to increase ticket prices for next year. If so, what is the team's justification to the fan base for the increase?

Less fans in seats + desire to sign more AHLers to ridiculous long-term contracts = higher ticket prices.

Avatar
#14 Bar Qu
February 01 2010, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Repeat after me.

Hemsky is not the problem with this team.

When his work ethic becomes even remotely something to be concerned about, then we should discuss it.

I really don't get the digs at Hemsky, other than there is really nothing useful to discuss on this team. But some shots at the shoddy coaching decisions might make more sense (how many times have we seen Strudwick on the ice at the end of close games this year?).

Avatar
#15 Jmask5
February 01 2010, 02:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Meh we are going to finish last that is a given. If the NHL rigs it than so what?? Its common knowledge now that Seguin and Hall are close. Its not like in 2007 when 1st was definitely better than 2nd. If its Carolina that wins I think they may take take Seguin, Boston may take Hall, Columbus, Needs a center to play with Nash so they may take Seguin and Islanders may also take Seguin to go well with Tavares.

Avatar
#16 Jonathan Willis
February 01 2010, 02:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Eric Staal's a very good player, but I'm not at all convinced he's as brilliant as he's often made out to be. Playing in the Southeast Division sure helps out his numbers.

Avatar
#17 The Real Scuba Steve
February 01 2010, 02:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Jason

And the masses are pissed. Good one, I laughed for about 45 sec.

Avatar
#18 Archaeologuy
February 01 2010, 02:41PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Why are we even bringing up Hemsky now? He put up a point per game before ending his season. Not a valid scapegoat

Avatar
#19 Jeremy
February 01 2010, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mills wrote:

@ Jason Gregor

I have heard rumblings that the Oilers are going to increase ticket prices for next year. If so, what is the team's justification to the fan base for the increase?

The justification lies in our owners willingness to spend to the cap on a team that regularly misses the playoffs, and thereby the playoff revenue generated. Every fan wanted an owner that would never again let a salary dictate whether or not a player was traded, or outright "sold." I laugh whenever someone on here comes up with the brilliant stratagem of burying expensive (ie Horcoff), albatross contracts in the AHL so they don't count against the cap. But those contracts still need to be paid. Katz is a bloody businessman for god's sake, did you think he amassed his pharmacy fortune by accident? Do people assume that he lost his mind 15 minutes after aquiring this team and no longer makes rational business decisions? So the next time somebody gripes and moans about $8 beer, or how its like $50 for the nosebleeds, just remember, those capped out salaries have to come from somewhere. If we are not making the playoffs, then prepare to pony up.

Avatar
#20 olderthendirt
February 01 2010, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It does get difficult to stay positive when on a tear like this one. I would not be unhappy to trade Visnovsky for real value and keep Sorray. Looking forward to seeing Plante. We are overdue for a suprise call up. Still think DD is going to be better then JDD. No sence trading smaller palyers unless size and grit comes the other way. Glad that there have been no kneejerk trades (see Flames), we are not in the playoffs, so we can take our time and try to get some value. Now we can cheer for Phaneuf, let him burn up the east. The Duck obviously can be had, we should be chasing a trade with them.

Avatar
#21 Tha Legion
February 01 2010, 02:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

obviously seguin or hall won't be as good as crosby or ovi but where does people get that they aren't as good as tavares. comparable stats in juniors johnny t is on pace for 60 points this season he's not the be all end all of first round picks

Avatar
#22 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 01 2010, 02:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jeremy wrote:

The justification lies in our owners willingness to spend to the cap on a team that regularly misses the playoffs, and thereby the playoff revenue generated. Every fan wanted an owner that would never again let a salary dictate whether or not a player was traded, or outright "sold." I laugh whenever someone on here comes up with the brilliant stratagem of burying expensive (ie Horcoff), albatross contracts in the AHL so they don't count against the cap. But those contracts still need to be paid. Katz is a bloody businessman for god's sake, did you think he amassed his pharmacy fortune by accident? Do people assume that he lost his mind 15 minutes after aquiring this team and no longer makes rational business decisions? So the next time somebody gripes and moans about $8 beer, or how its like $50 for the nosebleeds, just remember, those capped out salaries have to come from somewhere. If we are not making the playoffs, then prepare to pony up.

Count your blessings. Playoffs here bring the likes of the Toronto Marlies and the Hershey Bears.

Short of berating Neuvirth and Pogge until they cried, there wasn't much to be thankful for*.

*the hockey was better than 09/10 Oilers hockey, but so was the Shinny tournament on the Red River on Saturday.

Avatar
#23 Kyle S
February 01 2010, 02:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Taking the wife to the game tonight. Her first Oilers game.

Look forward to seeing how Plante does. Not much else to watch games for these days besides hoping the kids improve.

I swear this team is cursed. Hopefully we still finish 30th so we can only move down to the 2nd pick. I want them to draft Seguin anyway.

Avatar
#24 Aleslav Smidsky
February 01 2010, 02:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

2 pints @ the Pint that Plante will score a goal tonight.

I can only drink about 6 a night, so first 3 takers. ???

Avatar
#25 The Real Scuba Steve
February 01 2010, 02:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Tha Legion wrote:

obviously seguin or hall won't be as good as crosby or ovi but where does people get that they aren't as good as tavares. comparable stats in juniors johnny t is on pace for 60 points this season he's not the be all end all of first round picks

It is not likely that Hall or Seguin are going to have immediate impact on the Oil. They are the best building blocks we can start with. It is also needed for trades to happen because we have so many other holes to fill.

Avatar
#26 Hallisimo
February 01 2010, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Who needs to rig the lottery with this teams luck. Chances are we finish dead last and still end up picking 4th or 5th, (no hall, seguin or fowler) For fu&^s sakes. Why cant we ever win a deal like burke does, for crying out loud he was able to dump blake's albatross of a contract, and we cant sniff out anyone who would take a flier on horcoff.

Avatar
#27 Marsha
February 01 2010, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not like a ticket increase is a surprise; this happens every year. At least it won't be the almost 20% bump after the Stanley Cup run in 2006. The last couple years have been reasonable (last year was around 4-5% I think, or even less).

Avatar
#28 Wanye
February 01 2010, 03:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Kyle S wrote:

Taking the wife to the game tonight. Her first Oilers game.

Look forward to seeing how Plante does. Not much else to watch games for these days besides hoping the kids improve.

I swear this team is cursed. Hopefully we still finish 30th so we can only move down to the 2nd pick. I want them to draft Seguin anyway.

Taking your wife to her first game. The poor thing - is this really the best way to kick it off? Three words Kyle:

Get her greased

Avatar
#29 Gunner
February 01 2010, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hallisimo wrote:

Who needs to rig the lottery with this teams luck. Chances are we finish dead last and still end up picking 4th or 5th, (no hall, seguin or fowler) For fu&^s sakes. Why cant we ever win a deal like burke does, for crying out loud he was able to dump blake's albatross of a contract, and we cant sniff out anyone who would take a flier on horcoff.

Man, it's common knowledge that you cannot drop more than 1 spot in the draft in regards to where you finish. Like I told you in the last thread, if we finish last the worst we could pick was 2nd overall.

Avatar
#30 Tha Legion
February 01 2010, 03:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

It is not likely that Hall or Seguin are going to have immediate impact on the Oil. They are the best building blocks we can start with. It is also needed for trades to happen because we have so many other holes to fill.

I don't disagree with you there. It's just hopefully something can be done via trades or my dream acquisition of Marleau (stay tuned for disappointment)to make this team better in the short term. Because all the bandwangoneers think that Linus Omark is the future because of a nice youtube video

Avatar
#31 Kyle S
February 01 2010, 03:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Wanye

Ya I know...worst time to take her. I bought a 3-game mini pack before the season started. Promised I would take her to one game. This is the last one I have tickets for.

If only she could drink right now...it might make her enjoy the lackluster performance I'm expecting tonight.

I'm almost willing to bet real money that Ward shuts the Oilers out tonight. I'm sure he'll have some friends in the crowd.

If I get time, I'll be wearing my Seguin jersey tonight.

Avatar
#32 Clarkenstein
February 01 2010, 03:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jeremy wrote:

The justification lies in our owners willingness to spend to the cap on a team that regularly misses the playoffs, and thereby the playoff revenue generated. Every fan wanted an owner that would never again let a salary dictate whether or not a player was traded, or outright "sold." I laugh whenever someone on here comes up with the brilliant stratagem of burying expensive (ie Horcoff), albatross contracts in the AHL so they don't count against the cap. But those contracts still need to be paid. Katz is a bloody businessman for god's sake, did you think he amassed his pharmacy fortune by accident? Do people assume that he lost his mind 15 minutes after aquiring this team and no longer makes rational business decisions? So the next time somebody gripes and moans about $8 beer, or how its like $50 for the nosebleeds, just remember, those capped out salaries have to come from somewhere. If we are not making the playoffs, then prepare to pony up.

I think you missed the point of the question by more than a Bo Bo Mironov slapper.

Avatar
#33 Wanye
February 01 2010, 03:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Clarkenstein wrote:

I think you missed the point of the question by more than a Bo Bo Mironov slapper.

Excellent call bringing Bo Bo into it.

+5

Avatar
#34 dragon
February 01 2010, 03:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Jason:

a. why do you think everybody downplays the captain issue so much?

Caroline owes its winning streak as much to Staal as it does to Ward.

b. Hemmer does not need the extra practice simply because there's nothing else left for him to practice on. That's for players that haven't reached perfection yet, like the Staals and the Crosbys of this league. ~ Hemmer it's in a league of its own, that's what we have to understand once and for all. ~

Avatar
#35 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 01 2010, 03:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Mills wrote:

@ Jason Gregor

I have heard rumblings that the Oilers are going to increase ticket prices for next year. If so, what is the team's justification to the fan base for the increase?

They don't need one. If people keep buying then theirs a reason to boost prices.

Avatar
#36 Jeremy
February 01 2010, 03:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Clarkenstein

No i didn't. The question was "I have heard rumblings that the Oilers are going to increase ticket prices for next year. If so, what is the team's justification to the fan base for the increase?" I gave him the justification. Clever comment with the mironov slap-shot, otherwise you kind of missed the point.

Avatar
#37 Heavyd
February 01 2010, 03:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Can you wacth this game on the internet?

Avatar
#38 SirFozz
February 01 2010, 03:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Heavyd wrote:

Can you wacth this game on the internet?

Why?

Avatar
#39 Lofty
February 01 2010, 03:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bar Qu wrote:

Repeat after me.

Hemsky is not the problem with this team.

When his work ethic becomes even remotely something to be concerned about, then we should discuss it.

I really don't get the digs at Hemsky, other than there is really nothing useful to discuss on this team. But some shots at the shoddy coaching decisions might make more sense (how many times have we seen Strudwick on the ice at the end of close games this year?).

I read crap like this and then I think of the suckers in Philly who cheered for the Iverson. They never won anything but he was all they had so they loved him to death.

Professional sports is all about championships and until you can lead a team to a title you are nothing but a pay cheque player.

When your best players practice long and hard it rubs off on others and makes the player and the team better.

No free pass for Hemsky, he's good but is he going to win a cup? does he make the players around him better? nope.

Avatar
#40 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
February 01 2010, 03:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hallisimo wrote:

Who needs to rig the lottery with this teams luck. Chances are we finish dead last and still end up picking 4th or 5th, (no hall, seguin or fowler) For fu&^s sakes. Why cant we ever win a deal like burke does, for crying out loud he was able to dump blake's albatross of a contract, and we cant sniff out anyone who would take a flier on horcoff.

if you are going to go on a pointless rant, at least get your facts straight

Avatar
#41 Robin Brownlee
February 01 2010, 03:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bar Qu wrote:

Repeat after me.

Hemsky is not the problem with this team.

When his work ethic becomes even remotely something to be concerned about, then we should discuss it.

I really don't get the digs at Hemsky, other than there is really nothing useful to discuss on this team. But some shots at the shoddy coaching decisions might make more sense (how many times have we seen Strudwick on the ice at the end of close games this year?).

Where does Gregor write here that Hemsky is the problem with the Oilers? And why the following from you over at another site, which completely misrepresents what Gregor wrote above?

"Bar Qu said... According to Gregor, the reason for the losing skid is Hemsky's bad practise habits. Glad he cleared that up for me." 3:11 PM, February 01, 2010

Is your MO simply to talk down to the dummies here -- "Repeat after me" -- and then slide back and boast to your buddies how you set the know-nothings at ON straight again? That seems to happen a lot. What's the agenda?

Avatar
#42 Crash
February 01 2010, 04:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Lofty wrote:

I read crap like this and then I think of the suckers in Philly who cheered for the Iverson. They never won anything but he was all they had so they loved him to death.

Professional sports is all about championships and until you can lead a team to a title you are nothing but a pay cheque player.

When your best players practice long and hard it rubs off on others and makes the player and the team better.

No free pass for Hemsky, he's good but is he going to win a cup? does he make the players around him better? nope.

I think a strong case could be made that Hemsky does indeed make the players around him better...even moreso than people realize.

Just look at this year and it should tell you that.

Avatar
#43 Nick Dynasty
February 01 2010, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I think a strong case could be made that Hemsky does indeed make the players around him better...even moreso than people realize.

Just look at this year and it should tell you that.

agreed. and btw... practice??? you're talking about practice! not an actual game, but practice???

Avatar
#44 jake
February 01 2010, 04:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bar Qu wrote:

Repeat after me.

Hemsky is not the problem with this team.

When his work ethic becomes even remotely something to be concerned about, then we should discuss it.

I really don't get the digs at Hemsky, other than there is really nothing useful to discuss on this team. But some shots at the shoddy coaching decisions might make more sense (how many times have we seen Strudwick on the ice at the end of close games this year?).

I am one who "dug" at Hemsky in an earlier post.

Repeat after me:

JG in the GD blog (Feb.1/2010), alluded to Hemsky not staying after practice like Staal and others. (see "Also" section)

----------------------------

He did not say he was a/the problem with this team. He opined, and many agree, he could possibly be better if he worked on his game.

Some posters will comment on content in the GDB.

cheers

Avatar
#45 Archaeologuy
February 01 2010, 04:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Lofty wrote:

I read crap like this and then I think of the suckers in Philly who cheered for the Iverson. They never won anything but he was all they had so they loved him to death.

Professional sports is all about championships and until you can lead a team to a title you are nothing but a pay cheque player.

When your best players practice long and hard it rubs off on others and makes the player and the team better.

No free pass for Hemsky, he's good but is he going to win a cup? does he make the players around him better? nope.

1 player cant win a Cup alone. He makes every team mate he's ever had better. He almost single handedly ran our PP for 3 years and has constantly made his C look better than he really is (Note Horc on the 3rd line without Hemsky).

What people should wonder is why hasnt it rubbed off on his team mates the fact that he has consistently taken a bruising by going to battle for the puck against much larger opponents.

Why arent we asking the guys "Hey, Hemsky just got his face smashed into the boards by Player X again but still managed to fight for the puck in the corners and win, why cant you losers do that?"

Why are people so concerned with his practice habits when clearly the player in question battles harder and produces better than everyone on the team when it matters the most?

Avatar
#46 swany
February 01 2010, 04:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Where does Gregor write here that Hemsky is the problem with the Oilers? And why the following from you over at another site, which completely misrepresents what Gregor wrote above?

"Bar Qu said... According to Gregor, the reason for the losing skid is Hemsky's bad practise habits. Glad he cleared that up for me." 3:11 PM, February 01, 2010

Is your MO simply to talk down to the dummies here -- "Repeat after me" -- and then slide back and boast to your buddies how you set the know-nothings at ON straight again? That seems to happen a lot. What's the agenda?

Hemsky's work habbits are of concern, he is the best player on our team and we want Eberle, Hall, Omark extra to learn from him so he better pick it up next year and become a leader

Avatar
#47 Heavyd
February 01 2010, 04:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@SirFozz

Ummmmmmmmmmm so I don't have to pay 15 bucks for ppv.

Avatar
#48 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 01 2010, 04:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

1 player cant win a Cup alone. He makes every team mate he's ever had better. He almost single handedly ran our PP for 3 years and has constantly made his C look better than he really is (Note Horc on the 3rd line without Hemsky).

What people should wonder is why hasnt it rubbed off on his team mates the fact that he has consistently taken a bruising by going to battle for the puck against much larger opponents.

Why arent we asking the guys "Hey, Hemsky just got his face smashed into the boards by Player X again but still managed to fight for the puck in the corners and win, why cant you losers do that?"

Why are people so concerned with his practice habits when clearly the player in question battles harder and produces better than everyone on the team when it matters the most?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ovechkin would be slacking at a 40-goal pace, but would still be the best player on the team. Do you give him a pass because he's naturally talented, or tell him he's slacking and needs to improve?

Avatar
#49 SirFozz
February 01 2010, 04:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Heavyd

The "why" was a sarcastic remark on why anyone would waste their time/ money searching the net for games/ paying for ppv on this team. I will try to remember to add tildes for the sake of clarity in the future.

Avatar
#50 Eddie Shore
February 01 2010, 04:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Ovechkin would be slacking at a 40-goal pace, but would still be the best player on the team. Do you give him a pass because he's naturally talented, or tell him he's slacking and needs to improve?

Pretty sure nobody said he was "slacking". He may be able to put a little more effort in but lets not get carried away.

Comments are closed for this article.