GDB LVIII: 11

Jason Gregor
February 10 2010 12:48PM

Who will reach lucky number 11?

The Ducks tied a franchise record with their 10th consecutive home win Monday v. the Kings, while the Oilers set a franchise record with their 10th consecutive road loss the same night. Tonight they meet for the first time this season, and if you were ever going to play Sports Select tonight might be the night to bet against the Copper and Blue.

Hell, don’t just pick them to lose, if you put down a hundred on them to lose by two you will win 110. Doubling your money is never a bad thing. I don’t condone gambling because too many people have ruined their lives over it, but taking a chance when the odds are this good, might give you an extra reason to watch the game tonight. I don’t bet very often because I suck at it, but when I look at these streaks and just how bad the Oilers are playing right now, even a conservative gambler like me is contemplating it.

In their ten-game home winning streak the Ducks have scored five goals twice, lit the lamp four times in seven games and scored three once. They are averaging 4.1 GPG in this stretch. Meanwhile the Oilers have scored a whopping ten goals in their ten-game losing skid.

If Ryan Getzlaf was playing I’d take this bet in a second, I still might do it, but the Olympian is on the shelf rehabbing his ankle and praying he will be ready to go next Tuesday when Canada plays their first game. I should also mention that the Oilers have won four straight in Anaheim, and nine of their last 12 at the house of Duck.

VETERAN PRESENCE

Getzlaf’s absence is music to the ears of the Oilers non-checking line of Ethan Moreau, Shawn Horcoff and Fernando Pisani. You can’t hide the fact those three have been terrible lately.

Horcoff is -31, Moreau is -18 in his last 32 games and Pisani has only dressed for one win this season; ONE.

I’ve had some GMs and scouts tell me there is interest in Moreau, but the way he is playing I can’t understand why. The Ducks were a team that was sniffing around a few weeks ago, so if Moreau is ever going to play well this year, you’d think it would be tonight and Sunday when the Ducks come to Edmonton.

It is clear Moreau and Pisani aren’t worried about showcasing themselves, because if they were, they’d be playing much better. At least show some emotion. Hit someone, get in a pushing match, or even better, make the correct play with the puck.

The only explanation for Pat Quinn not stapling these three to the bench is that the organization believes that opposing scouts want to see them play. I’d argue the Oilers might be better served to start giving these guys some soft minutes to try and pad their stats, or least stop them from becoming worse.

DUBNYK TO START?

It doesn’t make any sense to recall Devan Dubnyk and not start him tonight, so I’d expect to see the former first-rounder between the pipes. I do expect the Oilers to then send Dubnyk back to Springfield before the roster freeze on the 12th and have Bryan Pitton back up Deslauriers on Sunday, and then send Pitton to the ECHL. If they send him directly to the ECHL, it sounds like he doesn’t need to clear waivers so then only Deslauriers won’t be playing during the Olympic break.

At this point I’m not sure it really matters if they dress Zach Stortini or sit a forward from Monday’s loss, because Quinn can only take out one forward. Right now eight forwards deserve to take a seat in the pressbox.

After two horrendous efforts the Oilers need to show up tonight. They aren’t good enough to be expected to win, but at least compete and try to play smart. The Oilers have 12 players who will need a new contract next year, and when you throw in Steve Staios, Ethan Moreau and Robert Nilsson, who might get bought out if they don’t play well that is 15 guys who have their careers to play for. Pride should be enough to motivate them, but if it isn’t then their future career should be.

GASP! AN OILER ISN’T WORST

When times are tough, some days you need something to boost your spirits and with the Oilers in 30th place in the league, 29th in goals scored, 29th in goals against here is a list where one of their players in only 4th worst. Now this list isn’t filled with a lot of data,  and I’m sure if someone (Willis) did a point-per-dollar X minutes played comparison then Horcoff might sneak into the top three, but according to Goldstein Horcoff is the 4th worst contract in the league.

Rejoice Oiler fans: he isn’t the worst.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#301 Eric Johnson
February 10 2010, 09:55PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

#302 Harlie
February 10 2010, 09:57PM
Eric Johnson wrote:

HA HA HA HA!

yeah that Tambo cartoon makes me ROFL!

#303 Heavyd
February 10 2010, 09:57PM

@Harlie

Lol.

#304 Dave
February 10 2010, 10:03PM

That's a crap call. Half the time the refs let it go

#305 JorgeR
February 10 2010, 10:05PM

I think the Oilers are confused now. You don't win by taking penalties

#306 David S
February 10 2010, 10:05PM

Has Staios EVER hit the net with a shot?

#307 Dave
February 10 2010, 10:06PM

Strudwick does the same thing and no call

#308 David S
February 10 2010, 10:09PM

You know, I could be wrong, but JDD looks a little bit suspicious high on the glove side.

Not sure though. Maybe I'll need to evaluate it a bit more, say 20 games or so.

#309 Eric Johnson
February 10 2010, 10:12PM
David S wrote:

Not sure though. Maybe I'll need to evaluate it a bit more, say 20 games or so.

That's a good call.

Evaluation takes time, prolly till like November next year. I'd like to see this team healthy before I make any rash decisions.

*puts gun in mouth and BANG*

#310 David S
February 10 2010, 10:19PM

I seriously don't know how journalists like Brownlee can write about these games anymore. Its to their credit that they keep coming up with stuff, but man it must be tough.

#311 Travis Dakin
February 10 2010, 10:29PM

Man that Brule is all full of jam. He's a keeper.

#312 David S
February 10 2010, 10:29PM

Tragic.

#313 Eric Johnson
February 10 2010, 10:29PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Man that Brule is all full of jam. He's a keeper.

Jam and Moxy

#314 Ender
February 10 2010, 10:33PM

~I can't believe the Oilers lost.~

That's our boys. Sprinkling happiness wherever they go.

#315 RossCreekNation
February 10 2010, 10:33PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Man that Brule is all full of jam. He's a keeper.

~Pouliot's better~

#316 Archaeologuy
February 10 2010, 10:34PM

pajamah is the 7th d-man. All roster spots are filled. Only management and coaching positions left.

Our team also could have lost tonight.

#317 David S
February 10 2010, 10:36PM

HA HA!

Gregor made some extra cash tonight.

#318 Robin Brownlee
February 10 2010, 10:40PM
David S wrote:

Piece of cake.

Ten items a month here, another eight or 10 for CP and radio with Gregor. No gamers to write with brutal deadlines. No need to bash off a main story and a couple of sidebars every day when the team is in the tank. No being away from home 80 days a season. No drinking, dirty talk and pussy chasing . . .

#319 McGuire's Monster
February 10 2010, 10:49PM

thecaptainethanmoreau

Played like a captain that wants to get traded. Finally!!

#320 RossCreekNation
February 10 2010, 10:52PM

Denis Grebeshkov for Eric Fehr ??

#321 Nail Yakupov
February 10 2010, 10:53PM

Edmonton Oilers <3!!!!!!!!!!

#322 SirFozz
February 10 2010, 11:00PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Our team also could have lost tonight.

Hey! Don't be looking for my replacement yet. Takes time for a coach to get to know his players.

#323 Archaeologuy
February 10 2010, 11:02PM

@SirFozz

But you need assistants dont you? Dont you want your own staff?

#324 Travis Dakin
February 10 2010, 11:05PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Piece of cake.

You had me until that last part.

#325 SirFozz
February 10 2010, 11:05PM

@ Archy

Oh, of course. Please note, I prefer the arm-candy type of assistants though. And I think I'll need 3.

#326 puckbag
February 10 2010, 11:13PM

I don't think the team owner position has been filled. I would like to take this opportunity to make the first offer. *raids my kids piggy bank and throws down 2 quarters and an American penny*

#328 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 11:19PM
SirFozz wrote:

Has the FRNF bandwagon started already?

#329 6 ring circus
February 10 2010, 11:32PM

Oilers seasons tickets = $5800.00. Beer at Rexall = $7.50. Talking dirty = $2.00 a minute. chasing pussy = priceless.

#330 GSC
February 10 2010, 11:37PM

And after today's round, Shawn Horcoff finishes Even to stay atop the leaderboard at -31 for the championship, but the young gun Patrick O'Sullivan gained a stroke today and is only 3 back of the veteran sitting at -28 as we enter the next day of the Rexall Fall for Hall Open...

#331 roughneck
February 11 2010, 12:15AM

@GSC

I think Jesper von Nillsson would be a slam dunk to win the open but he keeps missing his tee time and only plays some of the holes.

#332 ShaneDoanFan
February 11 2010, 12:33AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I said he isn't a top-six forward. He might become a 3rd line centre, but he isn't a top-six. If he is in the Oilers top-six next year this team isn't that good. That is what I said. I've liked his game. He thinks the game well and has good finish, but I don't see him as a second liner on a good team.

I agree Gregor, I like Potulny but he is taking advantage of playing on a TERRIBLE team and so he looks alot better than he is. He does have good finish and he does think the game well but when a guy scores 15 goals on the Oil we put him in our top six and that is why this team continues to finish where it does in the standings.

#333 mowgli
February 11 2010, 01:05AM
ShaneDoanFan wrote:

x2

Potulny looks better then he is right now.

#334 PattQuinn'sChesthair
February 11 2010, 01:44AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

~Well if that's the case the Oil better lock him up fast at 2.7per for the next umpteen years. Wouldn't want him to walk for nothing. 3rd liners just don't grow on trees eh?~

#335 Jamie B.
February 11 2010, 01:51AM
PattQuinn'sChesthair wrote:

I dunno, you might wanna ask the Glencross fans about that.

#336 jeanshorts
February 11 2010, 06:05AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Easily the best post in the history of the internet.

#337 BUCK75
February 11 2010, 07:23AM

From Aaron Portzline's tweet feed - beat reporter in Columbus:

Aportzline - Gentlemen start your rumors! #CBJ had scout in Anaheim watching EDM-ADM, and Edmonton had a scout in Columbus watching #CBJ-SJ last night

Not sure what we would want out of Columbus, but does it give us hope that something might happen to our roster soon?

#338 SirFozz
February 11 2010, 07:29AM
Librarian Mike wrote:

Has the FRNF bandwagon started already?

Not yet. We're still in the IRWT stage. T-shirts available soon.

#339 Jay
February 11 2010, 09:05AM

Hey Gregor, you owe me $100. Just kidding. But I was sure cheering for the empty net goal. My website would have paid me $220 for a $100 bet.

It's a good thing I hedged my bet with another $50 bet for the Ducks to win. Made $25 off that.

#340 Eddie Shore
February 11 2010, 09:17AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I thought you said that you didn't see him as a top-nine forward but maybe on the fourth line. I'd rather have him than Pouliot, O'Sullivan or even Comrie. But that's just my opinion.