GDB LVIII: 11

Jason Gregor
February 10 2010 12:48PM

Who will reach lucky number 11?

The Ducks tied a franchise record with their 10th consecutive home win Monday v. the Kings, while the Oilers set a franchise record with their 10th consecutive road loss the same night. Tonight they meet for the first time this season, and if you were ever going to play Sports Select tonight might be the night to bet against the Copper and Blue.

Hell, don’t just pick them to lose, if you put down a hundred on them to lose by two you will win 110. Doubling your money is never a bad thing. I don’t condone gambling because too many people have ruined their lives over it, but taking a chance when the odds are this good, might give you an extra reason to watch the game tonight. I don’t bet very often because I suck at it, but when I look at these streaks and just how bad the Oilers are playing right now, even a conservative gambler like me is contemplating it.

In their ten-game home winning streak the Ducks have scored five goals twice, lit the lamp four times in seven games and scored three once. They are averaging 4.1 GPG in this stretch. Meanwhile the Oilers have scored a whopping ten goals in their ten-game losing skid.

If Ryan Getzlaf was playing I’d take this bet in a second, I still might do it, but the Olympian is on the shelf rehabbing his ankle and praying he will be ready to go next Tuesday when Canada plays their first game. I should also mention that the Oilers have won four straight in Anaheim, and nine of their last 12 at the house of Duck.

VETERAN PRESENCE

Getzlaf’s absence is music to the ears of the Oilers non-checking line of Ethan Moreau, Shawn Horcoff and Fernando Pisani. You can’t hide the fact those three have been terrible lately.

Horcoff is -31, Moreau is -18 in his last 32 games and Pisani has only dressed for one win this season; ONE.

I’ve had some GMs and scouts tell me there is interest in Moreau, but the way he is playing I can’t understand why. The Ducks were a team that was sniffing around a few weeks ago, so if Moreau is ever going to play well this year, you’d think it would be tonight and Sunday when the Ducks come to Edmonton.

It is clear Moreau and Pisani aren’t worried about showcasing themselves, because if they were, they’d be playing much better. At least show some emotion. Hit someone, get in a pushing match, or even better, make the correct play with the puck.

The only explanation for Pat Quinn not stapling these three to the bench is that the organization believes that opposing scouts want to see them play. I’d argue the Oilers might be better served to start giving these guys some soft minutes to try and pad their stats, or least stop them from becoming worse.

DUBNYK TO START?

It doesn’t make any sense to recall Devan Dubnyk and not start him tonight, so I’d expect to see the former first-rounder between the pipes. I do expect the Oilers to then send Dubnyk back to Springfield before the roster freeze on the 12th and have Bryan Pitton back up Deslauriers on Sunday, and then send Pitton to the ECHL. If they send him directly to the ECHL, it sounds like he doesn’t need to clear waivers so then only Deslauriers won’t be playing during the Olympic break.

At this point I’m not sure it really matters if they dress Zach Stortini or sit a forward from Monday’s loss, because Quinn can only take out one forward. Right now eight forwards deserve to take a seat in the pressbox.

After two horrendous efforts the Oilers need to show up tonight. They aren’t good enough to be expected to win, but at least compete and try to play smart. The Oilers have 12 players who will need a new contract next year, and when you throw in Steve Staios, Ethan Moreau and Robert Nilsson, who might get bought out if they don’t play well that is 15 guys who have their careers to play for. Pride should be enough to motivate them, but if it isn’t then their future career should be.

GASP! AN OILER ISN’T WORST

When times are tough, some days you need something to boost your spirits and with the Oilers in 30th place in the league, 29th in goals scored, 29th in goals against here is a list where one of their players in only 4th worst. Now this list isn’t filled with a lot of data,  and I’m sure if someone (Willis) did a point-per-dollar X minutes played comparison then Horcoff might sneak into the top three, but according to Goldstein Horcoff is the 4th worst contract in the league.

Rejoice Oiler fans: he isn’t the worst.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 puckbag
February 10 2010, 12:54PM

Horcoff not the worst??!! ~what a consolation prize~

#2 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 01:00PM

@Gregor

Horcoff's is only the 4th worst contract? Hahaha. Yeah, we're all really shooting for the stars here.

*silently weeps in shower*

#3 Sully55
February 10 2010, 01:00PM

Hey Gregor,

Quick question...why is Moreau the captain still? If the coaching staff is trying to send these guys the message that things need to change, then why not start with stripping him of his captaincy? It makes me physically ill watching him coast along without acare. We are the Oiler army...and it's time for a new General to take this team and lead by example.

#4 danjo1
February 10 2010, 01:07PM

@Sully55

I think the point has been made before that even in the most extreme cases a move like that would create some very bad feelings. Also, even if he were a horrible captain, someone else would step up who may not have a letter on their chest.

#5 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 01:09PM

Obvious Comment of the Day: Umm...Gregor, when are you going to tell us about the ethics issue?

*slaps himself for asking this question and tries to come up with something better, more original and thought provoking*

Man, I can't believe Horcoff costs us 7 MIL this year! What a waste!

*10 points for orginality*

#6 rubbertrout
February 10 2010, 01:10PM

@Sully55

Changing the captain at this point is a little like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It is prettty clear that most of these guys are simply playing out the string and could care less. Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not at all.

#7 Lofty
February 10 2010, 01:10PM

Looking at that list it makes me wonder if Horcoff could be traded for someone else that is almost as much of a rip off?

Players that arnt performing up to standard can and have refound the mojo with a change of scenery. Cheechoo, Liles or Olsez for Horcoff and a small asset to offset the salary and shorter length contract that the Oil would take in return?

I guess for anything that crazy to happen Tambo would actualy have to pick up the phone... never mind wont ever happen.

#9 Sully55
February 10 2010, 01:28PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Who would be a better option? No one that is the problem.

As far as i'm concerned we can just run with Assistant C's for the rest of the season.

#10 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 01:29PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Who would be a better option? No one that is the problem.

What about Souray?....Oh yeah, Injured.

What about Gagner?....Oh yeah, Injured.

What about Hemsky?....Oh yeah, Injured.

(j/k i dont think there are any options that the Oil have that seem very good right now)

Would it send the right message to the team to strip Moreau of the C and not give it to anyone?

#11 Ender
February 10 2010, 01:29PM

If there's one thing people should have learned about the Oilers this season, it's never underestimate their ability to disappoint. Looking for a win over those evil Cowtown characters? Well keep looking. Want to beat the Sedin sisters just on the principle of not losing a game to girls? Not happening. OK, well at least we can lose when we need to, right? Especially to the Hurricanes or the Leafs who are the only teams between us and the first pick overall? Hmmmm, not so much.

I'm not saying Gregor's wrong about the odds offered on tonight's game; they're pretty good. I'm just saying that based on the Oiler's track record for disappointment, as long as they know you need them to lose by two, they'll be sure to take this one to OT and lose it there instead. That way, they get the guys who bet on them, the guys who bet against them, and still gain a point to help out Toronto and Carolina in the standings. With the Oilers this season, there's always enough disapointment to go around for everyone.

#12 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 10 2010, 01:36PM

Really suprised Drury didn't make the list (and in the top 3.)

20 points for a legit 7 million.

Others I'd put as worse then Horc:

Dipeitro JSG Turco Bulin Rosival Nylander Brewer Ryder Toskala Meszaros

#13 Twiggs
February 10 2010, 01:40PM

I totally agree with Original Dakin Ogden Brother, where was Dipeitro on that list?

#14 Aleslav Smidsky
February 10 2010, 01:44PM

Fcuk!

Now when i say Horcoff is the worst, people are going to bring this list up and tell me he is only 4th worse. Fcuk! 1st in the West thou, right?

It's so sad, that it has come to this. Poor Oilers, Poor Horcoff.

#15 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 01:44PM

@I'm a Scientist!

Man, I can't believe Horcoff costs us 7 MIL this year! What a waste! *10 points for orginality*

Well played, sir. I'll see your obvious statement and raise you a "It's $5.5 million on the cap hit, stoopid!" ;)

And that Hemsky....he passes too much.

#16 DougWeightProblem
February 10 2010, 01:49PM

How's this for "rock bottom". I'm going to dinner and a chick flick as an early Valentine's Day thing for my wife, and I'd rather do that than subject myself to another Oilers game.

*digs for the gun in the closet, whimpering with shame and regret*

#17 Balf82
February 10 2010, 01:49PM

If Horcoff had 20 pts to finish the season he is getting paid 250K a point. Not bad.

Can I quit my day job and trade with Horcs?

#18 Ender
February 10 2010, 01:54PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

And that Hemsky....he passes too much.

Big blind to me, huh? OK, I'm stayin' in; I see your "$5.5M cap hit" and raise you another "Moreau is a bad captain".

#19 Aleslav Smidsky
February 10 2010, 01:55PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

And that Hemsky....he passes too much.

Do you think Lowe asked Hemsky to pass more instead of shooting to make Horcoff look good and worthy. Look how much Horcoff is nothing without Hemsky's passes, even thou he only connects on 8% of the passes to get a shot off.

#20 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 01:55PM

@Librarian Mike

ooooooo!

*15 points for originality*

I set 'em up...you knock'em down! Yeeehaww!

#21 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 01:56PM

@Ender

Out of this world!!!

*15 points for orginality and a Rexall Beer*

#22 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 02:00PM
Balf82 wrote:

Can I quit my day job and trade with Horcs?

Thinking along those lines. If the Oilers sent out a lineup that looked like this...

1st Line) Wanye - Bingofuel - Willis 2nd Line) Gregor - Travis Dakin - David S 3rd Line) Rosscreek - Chris - Original Ogden Brother 4th Line) Archaeologuy - Im a Scientist! - Amber

1st Pair) Jeanshorts - Ender the Dragon 2nd Pair) Minister Towelboy - Ambasador Humantorch 3rd Pair) Rigger - Smokin Ray

Starting Goalie) Robin Brownlee Backup Goalie) Librarian Mike

...we could also vie for 30th place in the NHL. Just Sayin.

#24 Ender
February 10 2010, 02:01PM
Balf82 wrote:

Can I quit my day job and trade with Horcs?

Maybe you're a better hockey player than I am; I couldn't make that trade, because $250K per point x 0 points is still nothing.

#27 OILERSORDEATH
February 10 2010, 02:03PM

Whats, Horcoffs cap hit going to be next year just curious?

#28 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 02:05PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Starting Goalie) Robin Brownlee Backup Goalie) Librarian Mike

...we could also vie for 30th place in the NHL. Just Sayin.

Fourth line? WTF? I need more ice time than that! I demand a trade!

*runs to sharpen is skates but trips over his 250K*

#29 DougWeightProblem
February 10 2010, 02:05PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Injury update on Gagner...He is out with bruised knee. Will be re-evaluated on Feb 24th after Olympic break.

Are you sure it isn't a bruised ego, after realizing he can't carry this crappy team on his back?

#30 DougWeightProblem
February 10 2010, 02:06PM

Well said ... truly a fresh perspective.

#31 DK0
February 10 2010, 02:06PM
OILERSORDEATH wrote:

Whats, Horcoffs cap hit going to be next year just curious?

Cap hits are constant. His hit is 5.5m for the entire contract, just some years he gets paid more then that (7m this year) and some years he gets paid less then that.

#32 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 02:06PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Starting Goalie) Robin Brownlee Backup Goalie) Librarian Mike

...we could also vie for 30th place in the NHL. Just Sayin.

Fair enough to make me a backup, as I am a worse skater than Jason Strudwick.

#33 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 02:07PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Fourth line? WTF? I need more ice time than that! I demand a trade!

*runs to sharpen is skates but trips over his 250K*

I didnt want to put myself on the top line and wouldnt you rather have Amber as a linemate than Bingofuel?*

*No offence Bingo, but seriously now...

#34 Robin Brownlee
February 10 2010, 02:10PM

@I'm a Scientist!

Who's the freakin' packer who put me in goal?

Five knee operations or not, 50 pounds overweight or not and pushing 52 years old, there's still more than enough of me left to mop the floor with that "first line" you put together.

Jackass.

#37 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 02:13PM

@Robin Brownlee

Would you still be pissed if I made you Captain? Being Captain of the Edmonton Oilers is a sacred thing, they dont just give...that...to...anyo-Nevermind.

#38 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 02:15PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

Who's the freakin' packer who put me in goal?

Jackass.

That kind of attitude is really dividing our dressing room. As one of our oldest vets, you really should be more inspiring.

#39 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 02:16PM

@Jason Gregor

It's a rebuilding year JG, I need you to take on roles you havent played before. Be a team player. And dont give me this, I cant play on the LW business. It didnt fly for Cole and it wont fly for you either.

#40 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 02:16PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Thecaptainrobinbrownlee?

@ Gregor

You shouldn't complain about playing out of position. At least you get to play. I'm on the bench playing 'I Spy' with Joey.

#41 I'm a Scientist!
February 10 2010, 02:17PM

@Matt Henderson

I rescind my earlier comment....linemates shower at the same time right?

*smooths his eyebrows and gawks in Amber's direction*

#42 timseb29
February 10 2010, 02:20PM

ya why dress stortini only plus 4 last 7 games played with 3 assists: 2 primary assists on Pou's last 2 goals: Pou's reward move up storts gets to sit; 4th line arguably most responsible for ending loosing streak: lets not forget their impact on the 5 game winning road streak way so long ago - a goal each game - storts 1st star in one. Let's face it if the fourth line does what it is supposed to do in its role and/ or exceeds it that's not the culture; you can't play better than the soft, or traded for, money boys, not to mention the cry babies; It flies in the face of the culture; Your top 2 lines struggle scoring; your 10 mil checking line doesn't do either; that 4th line better not be plus at the end of the day irregardless of the matchup; that would mean you're doing your job.If it happens - will break you up or sit you.

#43 Matt Henderson
February 10 2010, 02:25PM

@Librarian Mike

I fully anticipate RB to get kicked out of (not pulled from) many games. You'll get your playing time. No worries.

#44 Librarian Mike
February 10 2010, 02:26PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

God help us all. LOL

#45 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 10 2010, 02:26PM
OILERSORDEATH wrote:

Whats, Horcoffs cap hit going to be next year just curious?

SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN SEVEN MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!

#46 Bucknuck
February 10 2010, 02:31PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

It's 5.5 Million you silly! www.capgeek.com

#47 The Towel Boy
February 10 2010, 02:34PM

For the record: I play LW.

#48 Dan the Man
February 10 2010, 02:34PM

@Matt Henderson

Shouldn't Minister Towelboy be the ..ummm...towelboy?

#49 Ender
February 10 2010, 02:39PM

First pairing. Not bad. Now that I think about it, I do kind of compare myself to a young Sergei Gonchar.

Very young.

Like, eight. And handcuffed to something.

Jeanshorts, I hope you ate your wheaties, buddy; you're goin' to be doing some serious skating.

#50 The Towel Boy
February 10 2010, 02:39PM
Dan the Man wrote:

Shouldn't Minister Towelboy be the ..ummm...towelboy?

Haha...touche!

What does that actually make jeanshorts then?

Ohhh right...the guy in a tube top and daisy dukes that sits on the end of the bench twirling his hair and winking at all the boys.