Khabibulin: busted in Arizona

Robin Brownlee
February 17 2010 02:39PM

Recovering from season-ending back surgery isn't the only challenge facing Nikolai Khabibulin these days. Khabibulin is also in trouble with the law after being charged with driving under the influence and speeding in Scottsdale, Arizona back on Feb. 8.

Here's an account of the charges against Khabibulin, first reported on an Arizona blog, by Curtis Stock of the Edmonton Journal

"Edmonton Oiler goalie Nikolai Khabibulin has been arrested in Arizona on charges of driving under the influence and speeding.

Khabibulin, who had season-ending back surgery on Jan. 14, was arrested by Scottsdale police on Feb. 8. After agreeing to take the standard Field Sobriety Test as well as consenting to take a blood test, Khabibulin was cited for a blood level alcohol content of .08 or more. He was also charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour.

Radar clocked Khabibulin driving his black Ferrari 70 mph in a 45-mph zone, the police report says."

OILERS TIGHT-LIPPED

I put in a phone call to Khabibulin's New York-based agent, Jay Grossman, after the story broke this afternoon, but didn't get a reply from him before posting this.

Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, in Vancouver for the Olympics, was asked about the situation on Oilers Lunch, hosted by Bob Stauffer.

Said Lowe: "Well, we're just hearing about it ourselves actually, quite frankly unfortunately. So, we really don't have too much to say until we get the full details.

"We've been trying to track down Nikolai, who is, like a lot of guys, or most guys, on a holiday during the Olympics. Hopefully, it's not the case, but if it is confirmed, (we'd) be very disappointed that we're just finding out this way.

"Like I say, we'll just defer any comment until we talk to him ourselves."

Obviously, neither Khabibulin nor Grossman saw fit to contact the Oilers to inform the team of the charges.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#201 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 09:40AM
Dyckster wrote:

According to the building's website, seating capacity for hockey is 15,015. 2000 add'l seats would be the minimum amount they would need to add to adapt to an NHL team.

In reality, they don't seat to 15k. The building packed to the rafters with floor seating for a show (ie. Pearl Jam) is 18000 and change. I believe they only sell to 13000 for hockey.

#202 Dyckster
February 18 2010, 09:42AM
Wanye wrote:

Yeah, but I think we can all agree that if something bad DID ever happen to Gretzky it is the Patriotic Duty of the nearest Canadian when he commits the crime to take the rap for him.

I know if I was walking down the street and saw the Great One standing over a corpse with a smoking gun and I could hear police sirens approaching in the background, I would take the gun from Gretzky and tell him to run while I held off the federales and took the rap.

I would do this and so would all of you.

Now THAT'S a bro-code moment right there folks.

Not being a born and bred Edmontonian I may hesitate somewhat for #99, but if it were Dale Hawerchuk, Dieter Brock, ~or even Doug Smail~, I'd gladly take the fall.

#203 Dyckster
February 18 2010, 09:45AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Are the 2015 seats not sold due to viewing limitations? If so, then 4000 add'l would be more accurate. And if they already do have 2000 virtually unusable seats, where are they going to find room to add 4000 (even 6000) more?

I've never been there so I'm curious.

Man, I miss the days of watching a Sunday afternoon Bomber's game, walking to Chi Chi's for a burrito and 19 beers, then going to the Arena for an evening Jet's game...sigh.

#204 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 09:48AM
Dyckster wrote:

I've never been there so I'm curious.

I moved here in 1997, so the Jets were long gone by the time I showed up.

My office is connected to the MTS Centre by skywalk, though. I walk through the concourse every morning because it has the closest Tim Hortons.

They have a lounge on one end of the ice behind the goal that they could convert to formal seating without too much trouble. The real problem is the footprint of the building. Even with 15000 seats, they're extremely narrow. I have my doubts about being able to add 4000 more.

#205 Dyckster
February 18 2010, 10:00AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

I moved here in 1997, so the Jets were long gone by the time I showed up.

From this persons uneducated position, the return of the NHL to The Peg seems to be a remote possibilty at best. Would an insufficient building not be a major hurdle?

Oh ya, Bulin got busted for being under suspicion of driving while intoxicated? Sorry to thread jack Robin.

#206 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 10:11AM
Dyckster wrote:

That's what I thought when I first moved here. My attitude (being spoiled by Edmonton's glory days) was that if people didn't sell out Jets games while they were here, they wouldn't if they came back.

When they built the MTS Centre, that was reinforced due to the inadequate seating capacity (which I thought, at the time, would be the nail in the coffin).

I followed this whole Jim Balsillie debacle pretty closely when it was going on, though. Bettman going on record saying Winnipeg is first in line for expansion suggests that maybe the seating capacity isn't as big an issue as I thought it would be.

#207 Soup
February 18 2010, 10:12AM

Question for the masses...

I'm living in the middle east where I can't open either the CTV or NBC streaming live webcasts. Anyone have a site where I can get the Olympics, and specifically hockey, live?

I'd even change my name to Dakin or Ogden or Brownlee - whateverittakes, baby!

HELP!

#208 DK0
February 18 2010, 10:18AM

@Soup

I'm pretty sure atdhe.net has had most of the olympics up on it. there was another one someone i know mentioned on facebook. let me see if i can find it..

#209 MattL
February 18 2010, 10:19AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

This is what I don't understand. Aren't there a few NHL teams in the US that aren't even getting 10k for each game? If you can sell out 15k somewhere, you're doing way better, aren't you? Isn't that, like, an IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT?

I bet you could charge more money in the 'peg, even if you had the same attendance.

#210 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 10:23AM
MattL wrote:

Gregor and I got into it awhile back.

The rationale, apparently, is that (at some point in the future) these Southern teams -could- pack a 19,000 seat arena, at which point they're much further ahead.

I completely agree with you - I'm firmly seated in the "bird in hand" camp.

#211 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 18 2010, 10:25AM
Soup wrote:

Question for the masses...

I'd even change my name to Dakin or Ogden or Brownlee - whateverittakes, baby!

HELP!

Welcome to the darkside.

#212 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 18 2010, 10:31AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Gregor and I got into it awhile back.

I completely agree with you - I'm firmly seated in the "bird in hand" camp.

I think another concern would be: Theirs a decent chance small market Canadian teams will have the same disadvantages in the future that they had in the late 80's/early 90's... and it would look pretty stupid on the NHL to move a team back to Winnipeg (or Quebec) only to have to pull the plug a 2nd time, 10 years down the road.

#213 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 10:34AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

More stupid, less stupid, or as stupid as pushing hockey in the desert for 15 years to the tune of ~10-20mil in losses per year?

#214 stilldrinkingthekoolaid
February 18 2010, 10:41AM
Wanye wrote:

I would do this and so would all of you.

ya got me

#215 Senator Theo
February 18 2010, 10:42AM

What about agreeing to move the team only if there was a plan already in place to build a new arena with more seats/luxury boxes, etc.?

That way, they would only have to struggle with the 15k seats for 5-6 years until the new arena was built.

The Moose can still play in the MTS centre, and the larger new arena will open up other things, like bigger concerts.

#216 Hunter5
February 18 2010, 10:44AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I see lots of judgement still being passed without us knowing anything. Do we know that the Oilers really didn't know about this? Is it possible maybe Bulin only had one glass of wine, but because of his back do the field sobriety tests?

Granted the above is probably not true, but we sure seem to be doing guilty until proven innocent.

Is it possible that he only had one glass of wine? I guess, anything is possible but more than likely it was the vodka. You gotta remember he is Russian.

#217 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 18 2010, 10:44AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Ha-ha, true enough. But I think you know what I mean. The cycle of moving in and out of a city has to stop sometime.

#218 OilFan
February 18 2010, 10:44AM

I think more teams in Canada is great, but if the dollar goes down they may be in trouble.

But Gary Butthead is anti-Canada so I don't see it happening.

#219 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 10:56AM
Senator Theo wrote:

I don't know if I could see that happening. The MTS Centre is still brand new, basically. It's already opened Winnipeg up to bigger concerts (thankfully) because the facilities are actually really nice, size notwithstanding. Lately anything that's been too big for the MTS Centre (ACDC, Bon Jovi) has been at the stadium.

Winnipeg is also on a 'revitalize the downtown core' kick. They need the arena right downtown, and operating the current arena while building a new one wouldn't play into that plan unless they built the new one next-door...

#220 MattL
February 18 2010, 11:09AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Yeah, exactly. The only reason teams were leaving Canada at the time is because the CDN dollar dipped down past 70 cents on the US dollar. Maybe Wanye could chime in here, he seems to have worked around money before, but I don't think we'll be getting back into that territory anytime soon, and the NHL could definitely use a team that wasn't sucking tens of millions of dollars of precious revenue EACH YEAR.

#221 OgSoupDen
February 18 2010, 11:09AM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Luke, I am your Father...

#222 Soup
February 18 2010, 11:11AM

@DK0

Thanks for the help.

#223 MattL
February 18 2010, 11:11AM
OilFan wrote:

But Gary Butthead is anti-Canada so I don't see it happening.

Anti-Canada hey? You don't have much of a long term memory, do you?

That said, I do agree with your point about him being a Butthead though. Well played.

#224 rubbertrout
February 18 2010, 11:14AM
Senator Theo wrote:

If an NHL team went back to the 'peg the Moose would be gone. No way would they have the population to support both. Also there is no way on earth that they would build a new stadium there as they just opened the MTS a few years ago.

#225 Ender
February 18 2010, 11:16AM
OgSoupDen wrote:

Luke, I am your Father...

If you've ever heard the phrase "Luke, I am your father . . . and your uncle,"

. . . you might be an Ogden.

[holds hands up for applause, ducks thrown vegetable matter]

#226 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 18 2010, 11:17AM
rubbertrout wrote:

I'd be okay with that. The Moose are really great, but I can't help being disgusted with myself when I cheer for Canuck prospects.

I agree. The fact that the Moose can draw crowds of 12000+ for regular season games bodes well for interest in an NHL franchise, though.

#227 Dyckster
February 18 2010, 11:26AM
Ender wrote:

If you've ever heard the phrase "Luke, I am your father . . . and your uncle,"

. . . you might be an Ogden.

[holds hands up for applause, ducks thrown vegetable matter]

If that was the case, your ON code name could be Ender the Sister.

Snicker

*Ducks reused vegetable matter thrown by Ender*

#228 Senator Theo
February 18 2010, 11:28AM
Ender wrote:

If you've ever heard the phrase "Luke, I am your father . . . and your uncle,"

. . . you might be an Ogden.

[holds hands up for applause, ducks thrown vegetable matter]

I'd be interested in hearing more from the "you might be an Ogden..." routine.

#229 Senator Theo
February 18 2010, 11:30AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Yeah, I guess there's no way that would happen. And like rubbertrout said, the Moose would be gonzo.

How do people in Winnipeg feel about sitting on each other's laps? That might sell more tickets!

#230 Deep Oil
February 18 2010, 12:38PM
Soup wrote:

Question for the masses...

I'd even change my name to Dakin or Ogden or Brownlee - whateverittakes, baby!

HELP!

Try www.channelsurfing.net

#231 Deep Oil
February 18 2010, 01:02PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Deep Oil just popped wood.

I have always questioned whether this owner had the dollars, and who's money it really is... possibly financing from third parties.

Here is public record, no inside scoop here. Here is what cit group is documenting, the Edmonton Journal, and Graham Hicks Sun Columnist.... add it up and you have an owner following the path of George Gillette and Tom Hicks.... how many billionaires have mortgages on their home....

1) Team has a $100 million mortgage on it. http://www.cit.com/wcmprod/groups/content/@wcm/@cit/@media/documents/in-the-news/citagreestolendkatz.pdf

2) Owner has at least 20 - $24.9 million leveraged on his own house. Original mortgage was believed to be $28 million, unconfirmed. http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/print.aspx?postid=168570

3) Owner's wife sued her brothers and father's estate, why would a billionaire sue family over money, millions......

Directly From Graham Hicks Blog

"But how sad that Ivan's legacy is mixed up with an on-going internal family lawsuit, with two of his three daughters (the two oldest) suing the father and brothers in a dispute over the distribution of the proceeds from the sale of North American Road Builders."

"Gouin lawsuit settled Quietly settled out-of-court, we're told, is the long-running Gouin internal family lawsuit."

Quotes above taken from Graham Hicks Blog. _______________________________________________

Katz proclaims $1 billion in development for the arena - this brings in a whopping $14 million for taxes, plus no tax revenue on a publicly owned arena. The $14 million payment per year excluding inflation will NEVER pay off the rink when interest is factored in.

EDMONTON JOURNAL According to Gary Klassen, the city's general manager of planning and development, a big downtown development like Edmonton City Centre pays 1.4 per cent of its assessed value in property taxes. So even if -- and it's a big if -- all the developments spurred by the arena had a total assessed property value of $1 billion, they'd generate $14 million a year in taxes. At that rate, it would take some 30 years to pay off the arena -- and that's not including interest costs. ______________________________________________

Bottom line is GM PLACE, ACC, Scotiabank, and Le Bell Centre were all built with private money...... why do we need public funding on this.

Ticket prices are going up this year for the Oil right ? Must be for taxi expenses for all the players.

#232 Deep Oil
February 18 2010, 01:30PM

NHL DUI Allstar Team http://wayoffside.wordpress.com/2007/11/05/presentingthe-nhls-first-all-star-dui-team/

#233 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 18 2010, 01:45PM
Deep Oil wrote:

Directly From Graham Hicks Blog

I'm pretty confident that no one cares.

#234 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 18 2010, 01:47PM

Pretty weak lineup, unless MacT is coaching.

#235 Deep Oil
February 18 2010, 01:53PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Pretty weak lineup, unless MacT is coaching.

Joel Quenneville is assistant Coach.

#236 Derran
February 18 2010, 03:42PM

Robin,

So I just saw that I can renew my seats for next year and the Oilers again raised the prices, about $200 for the year. On principal it just kills me.....Can you raise some attention on this issue.

Thanks,

Derran

#237 MattL
February 18 2010, 03:52PM
Derran wrote:

Robin,

Thanks,

Derran

Would you like him to raise some attention on this issue BEFORE or AFTER you renew anyway?

#238 Ender
February 18 2010, 03:59PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'm pretty confident that no one cares.

Now, now. Deep is using mostly full sentences and is trying to use punctuation, though he is still searching for the elusive comma. There's even been real, relevant content. All of this and he hasn't repeated himself twice in as many days. As long as he's behaving, let's play nice, shall we?