Khabibulin: busted in Arizona

Robin Brownlee
February 17 2010 02:39PM

Recovering from season-ending back surgery isn't the only challenge facing Nikolai Khabibulin these days. Khabibulin is also in trouble with the law after being charged with driving under the influence and speeding in Scottsdale, Arizona back on Feb. 8.

Here's an account of the charges against Khabibulin, first reported on an Arizona blog, by Curtis Stock of the Edmonton Journal

"Edmonton Oiler goalie Nikolai Khabibulin has been arrested in Arizona on charges of driving under the influence and speeding.

Khabibulin, who had season-ending back surgery on Jan. 14, was arrested by Scottsdale police on Feb. 8. After agreeing to take the standard Field Sobriety Test as well as consenting to take a blood test, Khabibulin was cited for a blood level alcohol content of .08 or more. He was also charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour.

Radar clocked Khabibulin driving his black Ferrari 70 mph in a 45-mph zone, the police report says."

OILERS TIGHT-LIPPED

I put in a phone call to Khabibulin's New York-based agent, Jay Grossman, after the story broke this afternoon, but didn't get a reply from him before posting this.

Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, in Vancouver for the Olympics, was asked about the situation on Oilers Lunch, hosted by Bob Stauffer.

Said Lowe: "Well, we're just hearing about it ourselves actually, quite frankly unfortunately. So, we really don't have too much to say until we get the full details.

"We've been trying to track down Nikolai, who is, like a lot of guys, or most guys, on a holiday during the Olympics. Hopefully, it's not the case, but if it is confirmed, (we'd) be very disappointed that we're just finding out this way.

"Like I say, we'll just defer any comment until we talk to him ourselves."

Obviously, neither Khabibulin nor Grossman saw fit to contact the Oilers to inform the team of the charges.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 02:43PM

I'd really like some more info on this situation before passing judgement. Seems to be a lot of people are calling for his head and his contract to be terminated. Kinda sad really that Oil Fans would say things like this without hearing all the details and especially before he was at least found guilty.

#2 JailbirdJoe
February 17 2010, 02:45PM

The last thing the Oilers need right now...

#3 Schitzo
February 17 2010, 02:45PM

If Khabi didn't tell his agent, he's an absolute dummy.

If he DID tell his agent, Jay Grossman is a huge dickwad.

#4 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 02:47PM
JailbirdJoe wrote:

The last thing the Oilers need right now...

Really if this were to happen when would you rather have it happen? Now when the player is out and when the team is already a joke or say 2 years down the line when he is playing well and the team is in a playoff race?

Edit: To add I wonder now that this is out with the Olympics being on if this will be a story that is passed on by the major sports networks. Maybe Grossman told Bulin to wait until the Olympics when no one is paying attention to the NHL?

#5 Oilman
February 17 2010, 02:49PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

That's two rather large assumptions!

#6 Muji 狗
February 17 2010, 02:50PM

There's probably a distasteful Dany Heatley joke to be made. I'm too distracted by Shaun White's run right now to think of it tho.

#7 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 02:55PM

@Oilman

What us being in a playoff race and him playing well?

#8 RossCreekNation
February 17 2010, 02:55PM
Schitzo wrote:

If Khabi didn't tell his agent, he's an absolute dummy.

If he DID tell his agent, Jay Grossman is a huge dickwad.

I wonder what Jay Grossman would say if he were by chance reading this.

#9 The Towel Boy
February 17 2010, 02:59PM

Those Ferrari seats must be comfy for his back. They are, after all, hand stitched with the finest materials!

#10 Hunter5
February 17 2010, 03:00PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

You know... I'm quite sure you have heard this before. LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS!

#11 BUCK75
February 17 2010, 03:01PM

An unfortunate event in his life.

~At least his back is good enough to be driving around - for now.

#12 Dyckster
February 17 2010, 03:02PM

There is NO WAY this will effect the status of his contract with the Oilers. If fitty cent Kane can kick the crap out of a cab driver with nary a slap on the wrist, Habi cruising chicks in his Ferrari after a couple of Pilsners is not going to deem his agreement with us null and void....book it Danno!

#13 Robin Brownlee
February 17 2010, 03:10PM

The question I have, pending any outcome of the actual charges, is why Grossman didn't see fit to contact anybody with the Oilers to tell them his client and their goaltender had even been charged.

As of right now, 3:10 p.m., I haven't heard back from Grossman, so I can't provide an answer as to why he chose to keep the team in the dark.

#14 Ambassador humantorch
February 17 2010, 03:14PM
The Towel Boy wrote:

It's the soft Corinthian leather. Does wonders for the lower lumbar region.

#15 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 03:15PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

What is the obligation of the player/agent in this matter? Regardless of whether or not we think he should've told the Oilers, does he have to? Or is there a timeline?

#16 VMR
February 17 2010, 03:16PM

The difference is the Hawks would want to hold on to Kane's contract and would definitely be willing to overlook the breach whereas the Oilers should have every lawyer they have looking for a loophole to slip out from under their contract with Khabibulin.

#17 Robin Brownlee
February 17 2010, 03:17PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

"Regardless" of the fact it's just the right thing to do? I don't know what the obligations of the agent are in terms of contract language, but Grossman damn sure should have picked up the phone and told the team that's paying his client $15 million what happened.

#18 Ender
February 17 2010, 03:20PM
Dyckster wrote:

While it's possible that Khabi could come out of this reletively unscathed, it's not a slam dunk. If he gets a criminal record in the States and as a result gets banned from entering the country, this could turn out very poorly for him. Other NHL players that have been arrested (Kane, Belfour, Staal) didn't face the same hurdle.

#19 Aleslav Smidsky
February 17 2010, 03:20PM

@Robin Brownlee

right thing to do. he didnt do the right thing by drinking and driving. why would you expect a right thing from him to contact the oilers?

#20 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 03:20PM

@Robin Brownlee

Okay I don't agree, but can see where you are coming from.

My second question is how did it take this long to figure out? February 8th? What date was that? When we played the Coyotes, how is it that no one caught wind of this.

#21 Librarian Mike
February 17 2010, 03:22PM

Driving drunk...Stay classy Khabibulin, you jerk.

#22 Dyckster
February 17 2010, 03:22PM
Ender wrote:

How did it effect that tough guy in Detroit a few years back (his name escapes me at the present)? He had some immigration issues didn't he?

EDIT: Bob Probert

#23 Harlie
February 17 2010, 03:25PM

I thought the Olympics started on Feb.12th? And Khabi was charged on Feb.8th? So he started his holidays (Lowe's words) a tad early eh?

#24 Jasmine
February 17 2010, 03:25PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

It was written in a blog. No one knew until someone wrote it in a blog in Arizona.

#25 tangnt
February 17 2010, 03:27PM

If I am not mistaken the US does not consider DUI as a charge that will stop entrance into the US

However Canada does. I wonder what the implication of being a Russian citizen is? As well will Canada let him back in because he was charged in the US?

#26 knobert
February 17 2010, 03:27PM

How is he supposed to drive to practice???? Oh wait........... back injury

#27 bingofuel
February 17 2010, 03:29PM
Harlie wrote:

He was in Phoenix with the team, as the Oil "took on" the Coyotes that night. I was there, and I can't erase it from my memory.

#28 tangnt
February 17 2010, 03:29PM

...if he is convicted that is

#29 VK63
February 17 2010, 03:31PM

I also drink when I rehab.

#30 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 03:32PM
bingofuel wrote:

So you mean to tell me he got drunk by himself after the game and not one of the Oilers knew about this?

#31 JackBauer
February 17 2010, 03:32PM

Maybe Jay did tell the Oilers. The Oilers dont exactly have a great track record of letting people in on the secrets of their team now do they?

#32 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 17 2010, 03:33PM
Dyckster wrote:

Difference is the Hawks wanted to keep Kane, the Oil may wish to part ways with Bulin.

#33 Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach
February 17 2010, 03:33PM
VK63 wrote:

I also drink when I rehab.

Don't laugh I know a few people that can't sleep when they take painkillers so instead of taking their last pills for the day they drink instead.

#34 BUCK75
February 17 2010, 03:34PM
tangnt wrote:

There are lots of people in Canada that can't get into the states because of an impaired. I guess it depends on what happens if/when he gets charged.

Unfortunately there are lots of people who pay good money to make these things disappear too.

#35 Harlie
February 17 2010, 03:34PM
bingofuel wrote:

yeah but he had his car with him and apparently he has a place down there. Just trying to find out if he is travelling with the team or staying at home, rippin it up.

#36 danjo1
February 17 2010, 03:36PM

It's just wishful thinking to hope that the Oilers can somehow use this situation to wiggle out from under that massive boulder-of-shame that is his contract...

#37 Lisa McRitchie
February 17 2010, 03:40PM

I've been guilty of over reacting the Patrick Kane situation, and a little about the Oilers and the NYE bill (no regrets on the Flames H1N1 shots) I do wish that more players would take cabs or hire limos, but there must be something more to this story. Pain pills + alcohol is not a good combo for anyone.

#38 rubbertrout
February 17 2010, 03:41PM

What happened to Wayne's post with the sweet ride? Wayne you get my email?

#39 Banger
February 17 2010, 03:41PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I am assuming the Oil got on the plane after the game, if he was still in arizona then how would they know?

#40 Lisa McRitchie
February 17 2010, 03:42PM

@bingofuel

you and I should have gone out drinking after that game!

#41 RossCreekNation
February 17 2010, 03:42PM
bingofuel wrote:

Was he drinking with YOU that night? Were you with him when he got pulled over?

#42 JackBauer
February 17 2010, 03:44PM

Its an ego thing. 100% Its a I can do whatever I want whenever I want because im rich and somewhat famous.

The bad thing is, the Sheriff of that county is a known douchebag who loves busting celebrities for DUI.

#43 Moop
February 17 2010, 03:45PM

Hey, if I had to play for the Oilers next year, I'd be drinking too.

#44 RossCreekNation
February 17 2010, 03:45PM

Did this place just turn grey to represent the shame Re-Khabibulin as placed on OilersNation? haha

#45 freshpotofcoffey
February 17 2010, 03:46PM

I assume Kabi has prescribed himself some liquid painkillers, picked his own dose, and didn't read the label about "do not operate heavy equipment..."

#46 Senator Theo
February 17 2010, 03:47PM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I do that.

I mean, I'm not taking any painkillers or pills, and I don't have any trouble sleeping, but I sometimes have a few drinks in the evening.

#47 Senator Theo
February 17 2010, 03:49PM
JackBauer wrote:

Is that the guy that painted all the jail cells pink?

#48 Ender
February 17 2010, 03:49PM

@JackBauer

JackBauer wrote:

Anyone who is taking drunk drivers off the streets is not a douchebag in my books. He's a freakin' hero.

#49 bingofuel
February 17 2010, 03:50PM
Lisa McRitchie wrote:

you and I should have gone out drinking after that game!

I know! We could have shutdown Margaritaville!

#50 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
February 17 2010, 03:51PM

My girlfriend's in Phoenix right now visiting her grandparents. I just texted her to see if she's heard anything about it in the local media.

I can't believe we burned the nickname 'Rehabibulin' like 2 months too early. Dammit.