Trade possibilities and Jacques out for year

Jason Gregor
February 27 2010 06:28PM

The NHL trade freeze will end at midnight tomorrow, and with two weeks void of games many GMs have had time to focus in on their respect team's weaknesses and look at which players could possibly help fill those holes. Will Ethan Moreau fit into a hole on another team’s roster? I’d say yes.

Moreau was on my radio show yesterday and he didn’t shy away when I asked him questions regarding the upcoming trade deadline, Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. MST, and where his mind is at right now. This is his tenth full season as an Oiler, and he has been part of the organization for 11 years now, (he was acquired March 20th, 1999 from Chicago ) but you get the sense his tenure is coming to an end. I asked him if there was any trepidation about possibly moving to another team after spending so much time in one city.

“I’ve been very fortunate not having to live the typical hockey player life and neither has my family. We’ve had the opportunity and the luxury to build a lot of great friendships within the team and outside the team. I’ve been able to play with some great friends like Stevie, Horc, Fernando and Ales. We all went to the finals together and there hasn’t been a lot of movement with our core; and for that I’m grateful."

“If a trade happens I’ll be very excited to have an opportunity to play somewhere else," the Oilers Captain continued "and have a chance to win. I still have a lot of confidence in my game that I can contribute on a good team. It remains to be seen if that happens or not."

“I have had a lot of time to prepare for it. It’s not like it has come out of the blue and the trade will be a surprise. I’ve had time to deal with it and so has my family. I still enjoy playing so I’m going be excited wherever I play. If it is with the Oilers, that’s great, and I’ll play hard. If it’s somewhere else, I’ll be excited about the opportunity. Sometimes change is good."

“The second I got back to Edmonton after the break, that’s pretty much all I’ve been thinking about is where I might end up or if I’ll stay here. There is a lot of anticipation and anxiety surrounding that date. We’ll find out soon enough who is going to be where.”

The way Moreau was playing at the beginning of February it seemed unlikely that another team would want him, but Moreau found his game leading up to the Olympic break and that will make Steve Tambellini’s job of finding a partner much easier.

I asked Moreau if he had a conversation with Pat Quinn or with himself to try and re-discover his game.

“I felt really good going into the break. I think my struggles reflect our team. It’s pretty hard to have success with what we’ve gone through and you can kind of see that on a personal level with pretty much everyone on our team. For me it has been a struggle mentally and it’s been really hard, but I try to stay positive and prepare like I always have."

“I’ve always believed that if I can continue to work hard and prepare and be professional and do my job that it will pay off. There is still a lot of time left in this year to make it a good year for myself regardless of where I am.”

You get the sense that Moreau feels a trade is inevitable and the only question is where he ends up. The Kings, Sharks, Ducks and Devils are interested, and I wonder if Moreau gets moved before Wednesday of if he’ll suit up one final time for the Oilers in Nashville .

JACQUES DONE FOR THE SEASON

J.F Jacques’ back problems have flared up again and he will surgery in Los Angeles later this week. Jacques’s back acted up at various points this season and the Oilers were hoping the two week break might be enough rest, but his back isn’t responding so he’ll go under the knife again.

When he was healthy this year, Jacques was an effective 4th liner, and on a team void of size he was useful, but he’s had back problems for four years now and you wonder if he’ll be able to return and play the physical style necessary for him to stay in the NHL.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 corsby31
February 27 2010, 06:33PM

We love ya Ethan, Good luck wherever you go...BTW *First*...

#2 Mike
February 27 2010, 06:38PM

Good scoop on Jacques, Gregor. What is Jacques contract status. Do you think the team brings him back next year now that he is having surgery again?

#4 HSL
February 27 2010, 06:55PM

Jacques was looking healthy last night when he was downing beers during the Slovakia game last night at the Billiard Club with Smid, Hemsky, Cogs, MAP and JDD. I think he even beat MAP and JDD at Big Buck Hunter Safari.

#5 ruth petrenas
February 27 2010, 07:05PM

you caught the jacques inury but missed the smid one: pinched nerve neck

#6 Harlie
February 27 2010, 07:11PM

@HSL

Oh no! Drinking a beer or two and playing a video game where all you do is point a plastic gun at a screen. How damaging!!

He should be in traction at home drinking chicken noodle soup through a straw, right?

#7 Lofty
February 27 2010, 07:13PM
corsby31 wrote:

We love ya Ethan, Good luck wherever you go...BTW *First*...

cant wait for this to be over

#8 Lofty
February 27 2010, 07:17PM
HSL wrote:

Probably just saw how much fun Rehab has been having on the IR and thought he would like to give it a try

#9 Archaeologuy
February 27 2010, 07:23PM

@Jason Gregor

When did Stockwell Day become your Avatar?

#10 The 'Real' Ron Burgundy
February 27 2010, 07:50PM

whos decision is it to have the surgery, the player or team? and does the player receive full pay or a percentage of his salary??

#13 Pajamah
February 27 2010, 08:21PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Yes, needing back surgery means he should be catatonic. I'm pretty sure there is a big difference between sitting down having a beer, or playing a video game compared to playing in the NHL.

You just crushed my hopes that because I can play All-Star on NHL10, that I wont make the NHL

And no, it has nothing to do with my lack of skill, or morbid obesity

#14 Travis Dakin
February 27 2010, 08:22PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I have to say, I 'm pretty sure my body has taken an NHL style sh*t kicking as a result of sitting down to drink beer. It can be a grind.

#15 Archaeologuy
February 27 2010, 10:27PM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Speaking of Beer giving an NHL sh*t kicking, Khabibulin's charges have been upgraded to "Extreme DUI".

*sad trombone*

#16 RossCreekNation
February 27 2010, 10:35PM

@Archaeologuy

He must have been extreeeeeemely piassed.

#17 RossCreekNation
February 27 2010, 10:53PM

Marian Hossa, LOSER?

I'm not sure if I actually believe he's a loser (cuz I like the guy), but dude has lost 2 Stanley Cup Finals and a bronze medal game (not to mention the semi's v. Canada) all in the past 20 months!

~And now rumor has it he's going to play for Finland at the next Oly's~

#18 Petr's Jofa
February 27 2010, 10:55PM

What, Jacques is out? Well there goes my hope of this team making the playoffs. With this news I guess Tambo will have to change his outlook and consider being a seller at the deadline.

Since the selloff didn't happen until Jacques was sent to the LTI this proves that picking him as the teams star was correct... Right?

#19 Archaeologuy
February 27 2010, 11:01PM

@Petr's Jofa

All this means is that Tambi is going to need another year and a half to assess the team. He was probably really close to making a decision about something too. Now he has to start all over. Bummer.

#20 Petr's Jofa
February 27 2010, 11:07PM

Double post 12 minutes apart because I don't know how to use a blackberry.

#21 Gord
February 28 2010, 12:40AM

Man oh man...Ethan, for a captain, sure uses the words "I" and "me" in his interviews a lot.

#22 OilerDome
February 28 2010, 01:48AM

The experiment has come to an end, cut them loose to see what they can do under another wing,JF,Pouliot,Grebeshkov,Fernando ,how long can you wait its time to leave the nest,for the rest say the word If the door is Open go You dont wanna play here?Stand clear there is some who will(we hope)Go be happy elsewhere.Brass reward those who deserve it a chance to play in the Spring the rest will earn there stones as they grow to wear the colors Proudly!

#23 Deep Oil
February 28 2010, 07:31AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

Does the player get taxi money, to get to and from the bar, I mean hospital.

Khabibulin - NOW Extreme DUI www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Oilers+Khabibulin+face+upgraded+extreme+charge/2622951/story.html

#24 MattL
February 28 2010, 08:30AM
Gord wrote:

I always wanted to hold out hope that maybe was just bad at communicating in the media, but after two years, I think you're right. He is way too self-involved to be an effective captain. How many of the great captains do you hear talking about themselves all the time, and not taking any personal responsibilities for the failings of their teams?

#25 Chris.
February 28 2010, 09:59AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

*sad trombone*

Maybe Rehabibulin will skip bail and flee to Russia rather than face time in an 'Merican jail...

#26 Chris.
February 28 2010, 10:02AM

JFJ looked pretty effective the first 10 games or so... I wonder how much of his falloff has been injury based... More importantly, I wonder if Jaques will ever be healthy enough, for long enough to have an effective season... let alone career.

#27 RossCreekNation
February 28 2010, 10:16AM

I'd cut Jacques loose and try and find an established big body to replace him.

#28 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
February 28 2010, 10:56AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I'd cut Jacques loose and try and find an established big body to replace him.

I had high hopes for the guy after the way he finished last year (.... well high as in quality 4th liner that used his big frame effectively) but ya, with consistant back problems it probably time for the team to make the right decision and replace him with a healthy guy that can do the same thing.

#29 Milli
February 28 2010, 11:05AM

I can't believe the nerve of some players, going out and drinking beer, watching hockey? Shouldn't they have been training, hitting the gym or studying video tape? God, they where watching hockey? Someone should have confronted them! 1:55 till game time!

Oh ya, and I hope Eathan gets dealt, I hope his new team is able to go deep in the playoffs, he has always be a class guy, a warrior. Wish him all the best for the remainder of this year....Next year, nope, back to only wishing for the OILERS

#30 Pajamah
February 28 2010, 05:16PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

How long does a 4th line banger stay healthy though, its like the cart and horse, theyre imminently replacable, because theyre replaced so often.

However, I do agree we need to load up our bottom 6 with 600K- 800K players who don't mind getting "crusty"