OCC 16: Road Report

Wanye
February 28 2010 11:10PM

We were sent an amazing set of pics and tales from loyal Citizen of the Nations KS, who has taken the road trip of a lifetime with two buddies and attended 7 - count em 7 - separate Men's hockey games at the Olympics.

Says KS: "I thought Travis Dakin's article about coming to Edmonton to see Philly play was awesome and my buddies and I wanted to send home a road report of our own. I didn't win at the casino, but I shook Scotty Bowman's hand, so there."

THE FANS

"All of the fans at the games have been awesome but the hockey fans are hands down one of the craziest things we have ever seen. Everyone has a Canada Jersey, t-shirt, hat or jacket it seems - it has been really cool to see the Sea of Red everywhere we have gone."

CAMERA MAN

"That picture is of our main man Judd, an NBC cameraman shooting the Canada-Slovakia game last night. Judd was kind enough to let my friend sit in his seat at the glass to watch warm up which was awesome.

On Sunday we will put the love away for a day when the Canadians face the US, but on Friday night Judd was a great guy hooking up some Canadian fans who wanted to get as close to the action as we could."

THE CELEBS

This has been the craziest week ever. We have basically seen every single hockey great you can imagine including Sakic, Peca, Kasatonov, Alain Vingneault, Neely and Roenick all wandering around signing autographs and taking pictures.

We also got pictures with Scotty Bowman who was in our security line to go through into the arena. In addition we got to meet MacT, Glen Sather and Laforge after the game last night and they were all really friendly and riddled with the Olympic Spirit virus that has infected us all. I'm sending you only the pics I took on my phone - the other ones will have to wait."

"Check out this power luxury box above our section at the game last night. Gretzky, Janet, Messier, Daryl Katz and families were all in a box. Mess was in the box too, so was Bryan Adams. I wanted to run up and shake everyone's hand, but a small army of bodyguards kept us at bay. You can see Katz far right and Janet is 2 to the left."

Up in the boxes above us was Mr. Vince Vaughn. It's a little blurry but he is the guy in the USA jersey. Everyone was yelling at him that he was going down on Sunday and he was really mixing it up with the fans and having a blast. He must be eleven feet tall if he is an inch. I heard he later got smashed at Molson Hockey House and had to be helped out." (I heard this too - WG)

"That last one is Jon Hamm, from Mad Men. No one I'm with knew who he was but someone yelled "there's a celebrity" so we just started snapping pics and figured out who he was later."

THE HARDWARE

"As crazy as the week has been, meeting so many pumped up Canadians, hockey legends and spying on celebs the coolest thing has to have been sitting next to the two sons of Mike Illitch and families at the semi finals. We were somehow able to score seats in the lower bowl, row 16. If I got these tickets to an Oilers game I would be pumped, tickets this good to the Olympic semis were insane.

"Anyway, we sat next to Illitch's 2 sons and daughter-in-law, and her husband. My buddy was talking with Mrs. Illitch the whole game and afterwards she totally gave him her cell number and told us to come see a game in Detroit sometime. AWESOME! In addition, Mike showed us his two Stanley Cup rings. AWESOMER!"

So that's our trip Wanye. Please share it with the 3 Olympic Nations. It has been a fantastic time out here.

And a big thank you goes out to the Men's Team for bringing home the gold - and making our trip of a lifetime complete!!"

Yours Truly,

Loyal Citizen KS

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 OilerPunch
February 28 2010, 11:30PM

Great work! You guys managed to see just about everyone. I totally agree with how felt with everyone wearing red. I went to the Swiss/Canada prelim game and after a few minutes realized that this was the first time I was wearing the same colour jersey as every else in Vancouver. It was weird bt cool as well.

#2 Jamie B.
February 28 2010, 11:43PM

Sweet. I drove out last weekend. The only game I saw in person was Switzerland - Norway (hey, that was an exciting one at least) but it was a great time.

#3 David S
March 01 2010, 12:06AM

Wicked report! Thanks Wanye for posting this up. Seems Dakin has started something here. We could use more of these.

#4 Jaime
March 01 2010, 12:06AM

Jon Hamm's apparently a big Blues fan and goes to lots of their games.

#5 David S
March 01 2010, 12:20AM

Check this view from the outdoor venue broadcasting the game. Unreal!

#6 Tracie
March 01 2010, 08:08AM
David S wrote:

Check this view from the outdoor venue broadcasting the game. Unreal!

WOO! Awesome vid DS! What a great way to catch the emotion! Amazing!

#7 BUCK75
March 01 2010, 09:26AM

That is an epic story. Definitely one of those moments that if you bought those expensive scalper tickets was worth it.

I couldn't imagine how it felt to be there. The furniture in my house took a beating yesterday with all of the tension, hopefully you had one of those rubber stress balls or something.

The one question on my mind what was the beer worth?

#8 The Towel Boy
March 01 2010, 10:04AM
BUCK75 wrote:

The one question on my mind what was the beer worth?

I threw my hat when they tied it up. That's how MAD I was.

So angry.

#9 MattL
March 01 2010, 11:36AM

Oilers recalled Peckham and Chorney, does this mean someone got injured? Or traded?

#10 Heavyd
March 01 2010, 11:51AM

@The Towel Boy

I threw my cat across the living room, I don't even have a cat.

#11 Milli
March 01 2010, 12:14PM

Nothing yet about Lubo's drug test or is Khabbi actualy going to go to jail if convicted? I see it all over the ticker, but, what drug would he be on to just get a reprimand?

#12 Harlie
March 01 2010, 12:28PM
Milli wrote:

as for Lubo...it was a cold medication that had an ephedrine component in it.

#13 David S
March 01 2010, 12:42PM
Milli wrote:

Advil.

#14 Harlie
March 01 2010, 12:44PM
David S wrote:

Advil.

Lubomir Visnovsky was reprimanded by the International Olympic Committee for taking Advil Cold & Sinus medication.

The horror. A urine sample he provided following the qualification round contained more than the limit of 150 micrograms of pseudoephedrine per millilitre. The urine samples he provided before and after the semifinals came back negative.

Pseudoephedrine is one of the Olympic's banned substances, but Visnovsky wasn't aware that Advil Cold & Sinus contained it. Visnovsky took the medication to combat a flu after talking to Slovakian team Dr. Dalimir Jancovic and Oilers trainer Ken Lowe. He also listed the medication on his doping control form.

Due to these actions, the IOC ultimately decided to just reprimand Visnovsky and not suspend him. Visnovsky has participated in four Olympics and this was his first violation

#15 Dan the Man
March 01 2010, 01:02PM

Per TSN:

The Dallas Stars have signed veteran forward Steve Ott to a four-year, US$11.8 million contract extension.

Ott, 27, was set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer and there was some speculation that he would be moved prior to Wednesday's trade deadline.

In 389 career games with the Stars, Ott has 51 goals, 136 points and 778 penalty minutes.

#16 Lofty
March 01 2010, 01:06PM
Dan the Man wrote:

Per TSN:

and suprise, suprise, crickets from Tambo's office again!

#17 MattL
March 01 2010, 01:12PM
Lofty wrote:

and suprise, suprise, crickets from Tambo's office again!

Wait, are you trying to say Tambellini should have signed a player currently under contract with another team? Good call. They should sign Ovechkin while they're at it, he's gonna be a player!

#18 jeanshorts
March 01 2010, 01:14PM

Just read this over at the Yahoo Olympic blog;

"Worst Fan of the Tournament: The dumbass in the Oilers jersey attempting to get Lubomir Visnovsky to sign his ticket in the media mix zone after Lubo's team lost the bronze."

Keepin' it classy!

#19 Archaeologuy
March 01 2010, 01:22PM

Just saw on the Journal's site that Smid might end his season with surgery for a bulging disc

#20 Dan the Man
March 01 2010, 01:30PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Seriously? What is it with this team and backs and shoulders?

Katz should just buy everyone titanium spines and shoulders in the off season.

#21 Librarian Mike
March 01 2010, 01:38PM
Dan the Man wrote:

Seriously? What is it with this team and backs and shoulders?

Katz should just buy everyone titanium spines and shoulders in the off season.

I guess you could say this team 'has no backbone'...AHAHAHAHA.

....eeeeehh...

#22 Dan the Man
March 01 2010, 01:52PM
Librarian Mike wrote:

I guess you could say this team 'has no backbone'...AHAHAHAHA.

....eeeeehh...

CLAP.......................................CLAP...................................CLAP............well played.

#23 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 01 2010, 02:25PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Wow

#24 Mike
March 01 2010, 03:12PM

Grebeshkov to the Preds for a 2nd rounder per Rishaug on Jason Gregor's show. Awesome deal for us.