GDB LVI: Wild On Hockey

bingofuel
February 04 2010 03:57PM

Sweet sassy molassy!

Two in a row. A pair. A deuce. A duplet. Twins. Free the Springfield Two. No matter how you say it, it doesn't change the fact that the Oilers are on a winning streak. Which is great. Kind of.

I don't know about you guys, but as I watched the game last night (and monitored the comments on the site for typical game-day shenannies) I had such mixed feelings on Potulny's goal. On the one hand, it's nice to win a second game in as many match-ups. On the other, we certainly don't want to make a habit out of this if a rebuild is what we're planning (and by "we," obviously I mean "the fans." I have no clue what Tambo's up to other than sobbing into a wad of tissues while sitting on the toilet, for some reason).

Like many of you, I'm thrilled to see Gagner bringing his A-game, and like some of you, I'm also glad to see Mike Comrie on skates. It gives me a more valid excuse for my multiple daily visits to hilaryduff.com. Doesn't it?

Wild times

Tonight, the Mighty Oil take on the Wild, and like every other team in the NHL other than Carolina, these guys are better than us. They have nine more wins and 6 fewer losses than us. That's not a lot to be proud of.

But we have two wins. In a row.

Minnesota has two injured goaltenders. And the Oilers have two guys named JDD and DD that they dress up like goalies and place in front of the net every now and then.

Actually, Minnesota seems to be suffering from a similar injury bug to the Oilers, so maybe we have the advantage there. Looking at the stats comparison on the Oilers' website, it seems to be one of the few things we might have to our advantage.

But, as Jonathan Willis won't tell you, stats aren't everything.

Prognosticating...

I looked that word up. It's something psychics do. It means "guessing." And I'm going to treat you to my own special brand of prognostication.

The Oilers have realized the season's in the tank. They have two "Ws" in hand, and at least some of the guys are starting to enjoy just playing the game. Comrie's back, Hilary's website is rad, Sam Gagner likes to play with pucks after practice, and there's a chance Ethan Moreau's headed out of town.

So they're going to make it three in a row.

Tonight.

Against the Wild.

2-1 Oil. Book it.

243fa199ff6efc362bf29a17e950b47e
Bingofuel is the handsome cyborg who pulls all the levers behind the curtains of the OilersNation. When he isn't running the site, he's plugged into a wall socket, recharging. Or Brownlee and Wanye are playing "keep away" with him. He gets little to no respect.
#1 The Towel Boy
February 04 2010, 04:01PM

Yayyyyy!!! GDB!

Let's make it three in a row!!

*gets tapped on shoulder by angry mob wishing to stay dead last and retain best chance at 1st overall pick*

...oh...well then. Go ..Wild?

I don't like saying that. But Dakin has a pitch fork pointed at me...and he looks angry. Well, perhaps he's simply hung over.

#2 David S
February 04 2010, 04:03PM

Admit it. You joined the official Hilary Duff fan club.

Minny 4-2. They've owned us in their rink forever. Even before we went all "DFF".

#3 Marsha
February 04 2010, 04:04PM

I think all of Oilers Nation is torn. Play well, make it close but lose? Kinda! Go Oilers, but don't go too far!

#4 Archaeologuy
February 04 2010, 04:04PM

Brodziak pots 2 tonight. That will be 2 more goals than the 5th round pick we acquired for him will ever play games in the NHL.

#6 Pajamah
February 04 2010, 04:05PM

bingofuel, you've just reminded me of Jules Asner, and for that, I am in your debt.

Oh, and that dame that replaced her, not bad either

#7 Ender
February 04 2010, 04:05PM

@ Travis Dakin

You need a whetstone for that pitchfork?

#8 SirFozz
February 04 2010, 04:08PM

Where's the Brooke Burke pics?

Edit: And Jules Asner, thanks Pajamah.

#9 Archaeologuy
February 04 2010, 04:17PM

As per TSN, Tambi has a list of 6 teams Souray wants to go to

#10 Travis Dakin
February 04 2010, 04:19PM

@The Towel Boy

Yup.... Huuuuuuuunng over

#11 Jason Gregor
February 04 2010, 04:20PM

Just had Scott Howson on the show. We asked him about the possibility of looking at one of the Oilers offensive D-men.

"I've had talks with Steve a few times, but right now there doesn't seem to be a fit. That could change, but nothing fits right now."

Howson likes the mobility of the Oilers backend, so I doubt they won't talk again, but it doesn't sound like they will make a deal before the deadline.

#12 Pajamah
February 04 2010, 04:20PM
SirFozz wrote:

Where's the Brooke Burke pics?

Edit: And Jules Asner, thanks Pajamah.

Thats the one!!

I always mix up Brooke Burke, and Brooke Burns (of "The Wall" fame)

Seriously, this site needs ice girls on every post.

#13 rubbertrout
February 04 2010, 05:10PM

I'd like to see the photoshopped version of Gregor's ice girl now please.

Minny 4-2

#14 Pajamah
February 04 2010, 05:15PM
rubbertrout wrote:

I'd like to see the photoshopped version of Gregor's ice girl now please.

Minny 4-2

Ice Girl, with Oiler jersey

#15 Ender
February 04 2010, 05:22PM

rubbertrout wrote:

I'd like to see the photoshopped version of Gregor's ice girl now please.

@ JorgeR
@ Matty31
@ rubbertrout
@ Pajamah

At the risk of unprecidented volumes of spam, I direct you to my e-mail address by clicking on my name in one of my posts. Send me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you the pic. :-)

#16 Senator Theo
February 04 2010, 05:28PM

3-2 Minny tonight, with Petr Sykora appearing out of nowhere and scoring the winner after jumping onto the ice in street clothes and broomball shoes.

#17 The Real Scuba Steve
February 04 2010, 05:35PM

Kovalchuk is a Devil, too bad the Oil could not land him, but I am just dreaming.

#18 WT
February 04 2010, 05:37PM

It was refreshing to listen to a GM speak, Scott, about the real issues his team faces. When was the last time an Edmonton GM did this?

Secondly, WT had to pull the rig over when he heard Robin say the Kevin Lowe was demoted to the President of Hockey operations. WOW. Robin went on to say everyone wants their pound of flesh of Lowe's but that doesn't help now, lets move on.

WT still can't get over the Lowe demoted section of the radio today. Way to go Robin

#19 Skidplate
February 04 2010, 05:43PM
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

Has anyone heard who ATL got for him?

#20 Archaeologuy
February 04 2010, 05:46PM
Skidplate wrote:

Has anyone heard who ATL got for him?

Not yet

#21 Skidplate
February 04 2010, 05:53PM

I can't even find anything on USA today, the place that has announced it.

#22 Word
February 04 2010, 05:54PM

I heard Oduya's name as one of the pieces, but I can't find anything credible.

#23 OilFan
February 04 2010, 05:56PM

Odulya, Clarkson and a first rounder

#24 Skidplate
February 04 2010, 05:58PM
OilFan wrote:

Odulya, Clarkson and a first rounder

That seems a little low. But he is a UFA

#25 Skidplate
February 04 2010, 05:58PM

And I think Clarkson is injured right now as well. hmm

#26 OilFan
February 04 2010, 05:59PM

Yeah just who I have heard

sportsnet

#27 Ender
February 04 2010, 06:04PM

@OilFan

That would be an awful deal for Atlanta. No way Waddell pulls the trigger on that. It's got to be something else.

#28 Word
February 04 2010, 06:10PM

Elliot Friedman says Oduya, Bergfors, Palmieri and a first rounder.

hxxp://twitter.com/friedmanHNIC

#29 jeanshorts
February 04 2010, 06:10PM

They're STILL evaluating??????

Is it clear to everyone but the people getting cheques from Daryl Katz that there's only a handful of useful players on this team? What's left to evaluate?

#30 Word
February 04 2010, 06:12PM

McKenzie says Oduya, Bergfors Tedenby and a first rounder.

hxxp://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

I guess no one knows for sure yet.

#31 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:12PM
jeanshorts wrote:

They're STILL evaluating??????

I'd like to personally evaluate the curves of that sexy red headed bartender selling beers near where the Oilers come out of the dressing room at RX1.

ZING

Damn you Horcoff.

#32 Word
February 04 2010, 06:15PM

Patrice Cormier.... Wow. He's part of the trade???

#33 jeanshorts
February 04 2010, 06:16PM

Perhaps I'm a little out of the loop, but is there some kind of earth shattering "trade" going down?

I haven't really heard anything.

#34 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:18PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I haven't really heard anything.

I believe Dany Heatley is coming to Edmonton.

Signed, The Summer of 2009 Wanye

#35 jeanshorts
February 04 2010, 06:20PM

@Wanye

YES! Wait, he has a NMC or something right? Whatever, it's not like he wouldn't waive it. He really wants out of Ottawa. And if I know Dany Heatley, and I do, he's a real class act and just really wants a new start.

2009/2010 is shaping up to be the best season in Oilers history!

#36 Word
February 04 2010, 06:20PM

NHL has a video about Stortini skating in Fenway:

#37 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:22PM
jeanshorts wrote:

2009/2010 is shaping up to be the best season in Oilers history!

And with all the hand sanitizing dispensers that have sprung up all over town there's NO WAY the Oilers will be getting the flu this upcoming season!

#38 Bryzarro World
February 04 2010, 06:22PM

Kovalchuk to Devils??

#39 Clangger
February 04 2010, 06:22PM
Wanye wrote:

I believe Dany Heatley is coming to Edmonton.

Signed, The Summer of 2009 Wanye

Awesome,, Heatley will be awesome with Hemsky and Hossa.

#40 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:24PM
Clangger wrote:

Awesome,, Heatley will be awesome with Hemsky and Hossa.

Oh totally! And imagine how well Bulin will play with his super strong spinal cord?

OH WAIT JDD IS COOKING ON TV

*runs to TV screen and stares so closely he smashes nose on the screen*

#41 Bryzarro World
February 04 2010, 06:24PM
Clangger wrote:

Awesome,, Heatley will be awesome with Hemsky and Hossa.

With them up front and the Bulin Wall behind them we will be the ultimate power in the league....... Here comes the cup... Here comes the cup

#42 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:25PM
Bryzarro World wrote:

THE CUP? WHERE??

*looks under couch*

#43 Shannon
February 04 2010, 06:26PM

Anyone else having problems with the audio?

#44 jeanshorts
February 04 2010, 06:27PM
Shannon wrote:

Anyone else having problems with the audio?

I'm having problems enjoying it.

But I can hear it just fine.

#45 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:28PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I'm having problems enjoying it.

But I can hear it just fine.

Yeah my screen is acting up too. The Oilers look all crappy on my TV

#46 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:29PM

Wow, three games ago that goes right in.

#47 jeanshorts
February 04 2010, 06:29PM

TEAM WORK!

#48 Bryzarro World
February 04 2010, 06:29PM

JDD should be on the next season of Skating with the Stars after that little preformance....

#49 Wanyes bastard child
February 04 2010, 06:30PM

WBC thinks that Gumby is a good goaltender, WBC also thanks the posts for being there when Gumby isn't.

#50 Wanye
February 04 2010, 06:31PM
Wanyes bastard child wrote:

That's rich. You are growing on me kid. Not enough that I will take you to the zoo or keep current on my child support payments but you are trending up.