Oilers vs. Avalanche Postgame: Technology Steps In To Preserve My Sanity

Jonathan Willis
February 06 2010 11:46PM

Colorado Avalanche: 3

Edmonton Oilers: 0

I have a confession to make: I apparently don’t know how to run my PVR. For a variety of reasons I ended up catching only the first period and relying on my recorder for the rest, and somehow I ended up not recording the hockey game. By the sounds of it, the central themes of the first period (brilliance from Jeff Deslauriers and the goalposts, total domination by the Avalanche) continued unabated throughout the game.

It almost makes me wonder if the PVR was trying to save me – because that first period was the worst hockey I’ve seen in at least the last five games. The power play was brutal – not only did the Avalanche manage to outplay the Oilers on it, but Penner and Gagner were on different pages ,Gilbert and Chorney seemed lackadaisical, and Lubomir Visnovsky was uncharacteristically sloppy. The period got worse from there.

In fact, I’m fairly sure the post-period smack talk went something like this:

Statistical anomaly of the night: Ethan Moreau led the Oilers with five shots, and his line was the only Oilers’ line that out-shot the Avalanche (although tossing in blocked shots and missed shots it seems clear they weren’t dominant territorially).

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Librarian Mike
February 06 2010, 11:51PM

How are you Oilers?

All your loss are belong to us.

#2 Archaeologuy
February 06 2010, 11:52PM

First MS Word, now your PVR? I take these as the first signs of the burgeoning robot zombie apocalypse.

#3 David S
February 06 2010, 11:54PM

That was THE worst game of the year in my eyes. We might have had worse nights score-wise, but this was the top of the poo pile. The travel schedule for the last two games was hell. Even Quinn who almost never throws down excuses mentioned it as a factor. Whatever, this one stunk.

But on the bright side we lost, right? RIGHT?

#4 Colin
February 07 2010, 12:00AM

One of the best nights of the year. Carolina and TO win and we get an Oilers loss-just what the doctor ordered.

But yeah I'm barely watching the games at this point.

#5 Biowolf
February 07 2010, 12:01AM

Time to take this team behind the barn.....

#6 dragon
February 07 2010, 12:13AM

should Pat Quinn resign?

another 'the worst game of the season'.

26 more.

i've never looked forward to fall as this year.

fire Tambo!!

#7 wiggs22
February 07 2010, 12:19AM

I'm sorry but moreau is just bad out there. ~Yeah he got lots of shots~ but did he ever look up to see if his teammates were open. Every time he gets the puck he just turns and shoots it. Selfish play man. He's a one man army

#8 Ambassador humantorch
February 07 2010, 12:28AM

All your Oilers are belong to suckass.

#9 Ducey
February 07 2010, 12:37AM

Any word from the Cabal around here as to how bad Gagner's knee is?

Couldn't the hockey gods just drop an anvil on Strudwick or Moreau and leave the future alone?

The way its going, the Oil will finish last, lose the lottery, pick second, and Seguin will fall off the draft stage and suffer a concussion in the process of slipping on his Oilers' jersey.

#10 DonDon
February 07 2010, 12:45AM

"But on the bright side we lost, right? RIGHT?"

RIGHT! DDF alive and kicking. I feel sorry for the coaches. Not very much for the rest of the hockey operations people, Tambellini, Lowe, Prendergast. Not so much for the players; they are very well paid, but in many ways, it isn't totally their fault. I do feel sorry for the season ticket holders. They don't deserve this embarrassment of a supposedly NHL calibre team. My major worry is Tambellini trades the Oil's first draft choice for a bag of beans or more small forwards soft on the puck.

#11 Nail Yakupov
February 07 2010, 02:45AM

What you say!! Captain Ethan Moreau!!

#12 David S
February 07 2010, 03:33AM
Nail Yakupov wrote:

What you say!! Captain Ethan Moreau!!

Bzuh?????

#13 Aleslav Smidsky
February 07 2010, 04:00AM

David S wrote: Ethan Moreau doesn't take "shots". He floats 'em in from the blue line. Each floater is a nice warm, yummy muffin for whatever goalie is lucky enough to face them.

AWESOME!

Could the same be said about Horcoffs shots? Or are his more like Boston Cream Donuts?

#14 TheGunnShow
February 07 2010, 04:29AM

After the second goal, you see a kid, behind a very full-o'-irish rage Quinn, who is wearing a St. Albert Steel tuque.

Only thing I found awesome in that entire clip package.

#15 wes turner
February 07 2010, 06:21AM

Last nightI watched a sixty minute avalance powerplay. And Sam gagner got hurt.

Can they top this?

#16 oilerbill
February 07 2010, 08:03AM

That was a sorry excuse for a hockey game. I am sorry I was able to stay awake. I think a nap on my part would have been more productive for me and the team. Someone shoot this horse and put it out of it's misery.

#17 Dennis Sobchuk's Slapper
February 07 2010, 08:06AM

Looks like the room has lost the coach.

#18 -30-
February 07 2010, 08:48AM

I barely watch the games anymore. I rarely read the boards. What's the point?

Even Stauffer who used to be interesting and non-partisan on the old drive home show is slowly becoming a poor man's imitation of Brian Hall as he shuts down people who don't think the same way he does when it comes to Northlands or public funds for his boss's downtown arena.

There are only so many ways you can try and spin losing into something interesting.

If hockey wasn't involved in the complex, would he even care about new downtown facilities? Would most of us?

I look forward to next season. This one is like sitting next to a dying relative in the hospital waiting for them to pass.

Rest in peace Oilers.

-30-

#19 Reagan
February 07 2010, 08:51AM

Deslauriers looked good. That was about it.

#20 thashiznit
February 07 2010, 08:57AM

All Oilers Shots Belong To Anderson

#21 Milli
February 07 2010, 10:22AM

I hung in for a period and a half.....Poor, poor JDD.

#22 Kevin
February 07 2010, 10:50AM

If Penner continues to perform like he has lately, he is absolutely on my list of moving parts. Big body or not, he just doesn't seem to get it. For the right price I would move while he has some value not to mention clearing a hefty contract. Sounds like Jamie Benn is untouchable in Dallas, but he would sure look good in copper and blue. Would one consider moving Sam G to get a bigger skilled gritty forward ? How about Penner, Gange and Cogs for Jamie Benn and James Neal ? Just thinking outside the box a bit.

#23 Reagan
February 07 2010, 11:07AM

[quote]30 said-

[/quote]

I agree. I find his broadcasts all about Stauffer and little about the undenying truth nowadays. I get a good chuckle when Gord phones him tests his patience!

#24 olderthendirt
February 07 2010, 12:01PM

Penner looks very tired (too much ice time?) I expect a lot from him after the break, if he doesn't pick it up time to move him. Any word on Gagner? One of the worst games of the year except JDD, I was a DD fan until Feb. I like what I see. Waiting patiently for the trades to start, even if we wait until after te games (solidifying our hold on last).

#25 Zamboni Driver
February 07 2010, 12:29PM

I actually sort of hope no one else at ON is watching Caps/Pens. It's so good it kind of makes me sad. These guys play an entirely different game than the paid-to-the-cap garbage we have to watch for...what....20 years?

Unbelievably good hockey.

Go Canada I guess!

#26 Archaeologuy
February 07 2010, 12:35PM

@Zamboni Driver

But at least it hints at what could be waiting after picking in the top 2.

#27 Wanye
February 07 2010, 01:25PM

All your base are belong to us.

A classic Willis

#28 oilguyry
February 07 2010, 01:41PM

I actually watched the whole game scared the oilers were gonna get a late one and win the game but all ended well

#29 mowgli
February 07 2010, 02:09PM

What are Qiunn's wins to losses, i didn't think he was that good of a coach for T.O, he mite be off his game or he can't relate to the young guys in the room. Alot of the blame needs to go to him to not just the players . It look's like he's trying to win, while relaying on the vets to lead the team,(Strudwick,Horcoff)these guys are getting old too.

There are alot of young players in the league that play smarter, and harder than the Vets. As For the some of the smarts, EA NHL hockey games are a learning tool for these young kids that are preforming it not like BLADES OF STEEL days. (Kane,Gags,Stamkos,O'reilly)

I heard when Pittsburgh was in the 08-Stanly cup finals during the intermissions some of the young players played NHL 08. The US military used videogame sims to get thier guys ready for war with different strategies for combat.

I guess i'm say we need a couach that understands that his team knows how to play hockey and belives we are a cup contender. Lowe needs to find the missing peaces and replace the broken ones

#30 Aleslav Smidsky
February 07 2010, 02:12PM
Kevin wrote:

I don't think you seem to get IT. Outside the box, I bet so far out of it, you can't even see it anymore.

#31 Jason Gregor
February 07 2010, 02:19PM

Plante and Chorney were sent down to Springfield. Smid and Staios will both play tomorrow in Phoenix.

#32 Aleslav Smidsky
February 07 2010, 02:20PM

@Jason Gregor

Good to hear about Smido, not so much about Steady Steve.

#33 mowgli
February 07 2010, 02:28PM

Smid & vis line yes!

#34 esa tikkanen
February 07 2010, 03:07PM

anyone here have any thoughs on the oilers trading POS to Florida for Kamil Krebs or Greg Campbell? Both are third/fourth line centers with about 52% faceoff percentage and are penalty killers. Krebs is 6'2 200 and Campbell is 6'0 200. Florida has said they want to increase scoring, they have cap space, and neither of those two have a great offensive pedigree like POS does, neither due for much of a RFA league minumum raise. Seems like a good trade to me.

Also, anyone here familiar with Jim Slater in Atlanta? 27 going tom be a UFA this year, 61% in faceoffs this year, has played 350 NHL games . Late first rounder 8 years ago, has not panned out offensively and is a healthy scratch some nights. \should be a good fit for a pk specialist 4th liner for the league minimum.

#35 Archaeologuy
February 07 2010, 03:30PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

just a couple games is hardly enough to get a good read on guys, but what do you think of Chorney vs Plante? From what I hear, the Coaches down there like Chorney's skill set, but Plante was more willing to play a simple and physical game. If I werent told that Plante was lower on the depth chart than Chorney I would say AP has a better shot at being recalled based on what I saw here.

#36 Reggie Dunlop
February 07 2010, 03:40PM

The second goal was a clear look wrister from a defenseman that he misses like his brain went Homer Simpson "stop the puck - what - too late doh". With 3 minutes left in the game who knows what might have happened. The look on Quinn's face said it all. He played great up to that point, but let the team down big-time with that gift. The 3rd goal into the empty net by Yip was better than that 2nd goal. How much better do you think the Oilers would be if they just got another NHL goalie? Even a do nothing GM like Tambo shouldn't find that too difficult.

That 2nd period by the Oilers was the WORST I have seen any team ever play. It really looked like men vs. boys. The only problem is Colorado is younger than the Oilers.

#37 Kevin
February 07 2010, 06:38PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

Lol. Have no fear Tambo is not that savey to pull a move like that. The reality is That wouldn't be enough to pry those two out of Dallas. Tambo is more consumed on trying to get a goaltender. Those that think we have anything worth keeping should take a quick glance at the standings.

#38 Chris.
February 07 2010, 09:03PM

I was critical of the Plante selection at 15th overall being that most analysts projected him to be a late first rounder, or early second rounder... I was further alarmed/concerned with Plante's post draft trade request and eventual retraction when he was with the Hitmen. Plante reinforced my negative opinion of him with his poor overall numbers in Springfield...

That all said... Plante's solid major league debute has me intreagued.

#39 Reggie Dunlop
February 08 2010, 07:28PM
Chris. wrote:

That all said... Plante's solid major league debute has me intreagued.

Don't fall in love with the guy because the Oilers just sent him down.