Times change: no more Tom Gilbert trade talk

Robin Brownlee
March 16 2010 02:02PM

Edmonton Oilers v Toronto Maple Leafs

With all the times I've said the Edmonton Oilers could or should trade Tom Gilbert, it doesn't surprise me some fans have the impression I've got a problem with the guy. Not so.

While I cringe whenever I see a defenceman blessed with mobility and size not take advantage of those attributes by playing a physical game -- exactly what's caused me to nag at Gilbert  -- the 1,067 times I've suggested he be traded had more to do with his potential value in a deal and the mix on Edmonton's blue line.

Now, with Lubomir Visnovsky, Denis Grebeshkov and Steve Staios out the door as of the trade deadline, and with Sheldon Souray likely next to go, the mix has obviously changed significantly.

Barring somebody making a goofy offer that would land Steve Tambellini a young, top-six winger who can score 25-30 goals (does Scott Howson have one?), it makes no sense to trade Gilbert now.

Despite seeing Gilbert and partner Ryan Whitney getting torched in Monday's 5-3 loss to Columbus, I've mostly liked the way he has played the last month or so, especially since the deadline (Monday aside) with Visnovsky, Staios and Grebeshkov gone.

The Oilers need what Gilbert brings.

Change in perspective

When the Oilers had Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Visnovsky and Souray in the fold, it made sense to me that Tambellini should take advantage of that depth and move one of them to acquire help up front.

I didn't think Tambellini could move the contracts Visnovsky and Souray pack. I didn't think he could get much of a return for Grebeshkov. That, to me, made Gilbert the guy to go, especially after the 45 points (5-40-45) he put up in 2008-09.

While I might yet be proven wrong, I saw those 45 points as a one-off. I suggested those numbers were swollen by second assists and wrote in the aftermath he wouldn't match that points total the rest of his career. We'll see. Last summer would have been the time to see if there was a GM who disagreed. A GM to overpay.

Given how heinous the Oilers have been this season, it's not surprising that Gilbert's numbers are more modest -- 2-13-15 through 69 games going into Minnesota tonight. It's tough to look good with this outfit right now. Gilbert has been no exception. Still, there's no reason to believe he can't rebound next season, settling into the 30-35 point range on a team that won't be leaps and bounds better.

Points aside, Gilbert is the team's best shot-blocker. He's a smart player. And, he's been more committed to leaning on people and getting in the way since coach Pat Quinn sat him down for a talk.

Looking ahead

Gilbert, 27, packs a $4-million cap hit for four more years, and in terms of straight salary, he'll be Tambellini's highest paid blueliner next season at $5.5 million.

If Souray gets moved this summer, there's no reason Gilbert can't keep playing the minutes he has since the deadline. Gilbert's averaging 22:10 of ice time per game this season. His totals in the last seven games are 22:34, 26:16, 27:49, 27:07, 24:42, 25:34 and 26:32.

While Gilbert and Whitney are too much alike for some -- non-physical puck-movers -- it looks to me like they'd be fine as Quinn's first pairing next season on a team that won't contend. Beyond that, as in going into the 2011-12 season, it will get dicey if this team is to progress on its rebuild, but that's a discussion for another day.

If Souray goes, it'll be Ladislav Smid, Theo Peckham, pending UFA Aaron Johnson, assuming Tambellini offers him a contract, Taylor Chorney and possibly Jeff Petry in the other slots.

Even with Johnson impressing since arriving from Calgary, that group is thin in grit and experience on the bottom end. Tambellini would be smart to find a veteran free agent as a stop-gap.

In any case, Gilbert is anything but a spare part or redundant now.

Somebody stop me

With Doug MacLean hanging out with the white strip and make-up crowd on Sportsnet's between-period TV panel instead of buggering things up in anybody's front office, is there an NHL GM willing to pluck Devan Dubnyk off waivers next season? I can't see it.

Dubnyk, 23, whiffed on at two goals at Nationwide Arena to remain winless in 13 appearances with a 0-8-2  record, a 4.16 goals against average and a saves percentage of .868.

An intriguing storyline after Nikolai Khabibulin went down was that Jeff Deslauriers and Dubnyk would have to battle it out for pecking order the rest of the season as both will need waivers to be sent to the minors next season. That's out the window.

As up-and-down as Deslauriers has been -- he's 14-24-3 with a 3.16 and a saves percentage that's 33 points better at .901 -- it's been no contest. Even allowing for how bad this team is, Dubnyk has done precious little to push the issue and force a decision at training camp next season.

Just saying...

-- The Oilers haven't won at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul in 12 straight games, a string of futility dating back to a 2-1 victory over the Wild on Jan. 16, 2007. They've been outscored 43-14 in that stretch.

That, it so happens, is the last road game I worked as the beat man covering the Oilers for the tabloid in town. Coincidence? I think not. Up until then, the Oilers were 10-2-2-1 in Minny on my watch.

-- Somebody e-mailed into 630 CHED's post-game show Monday and asked why Quinn chews gum all the time and what flavour he prefers. Well, Quinn prefers Juicy Fruit, and he chews it to get the bitter taste of defeat out of his mouth.

-- Tambellini can give Johnson a $100,000 raise to bump him to $640,000 and that'll still save him $60,000 on what Jason Strudwick is earning this season. Bargain, no?

By the numbers

-- The Oilers are 1-14-1 in their last 16 road games and sit at 8-23-3 for 19 points overall. The franchise low for road points in a full season is 23 (1992-93), so they'll need five points from their final seven road games to avoid tying a record for ineptitude.

-- Gilbert needs one point to reach 100 for his NHL career. Going into tonight, he's at 21-78-99 and minus-17 in 245 games.

-- The Oilers sit at a franchise-record 405 man games lost to injury going into tonight's game. The previous high was 346, set in 2007-08.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Matt Henderson
March 16 2010, 05:30PM

@RossCreekNation

I have never seen anyone claim that Good defensemen are easier to acquire than Good forwards. It goes against everything I've ever been told.

#52 Clyde Frog
March 16 2010, 05:41PM

@Matt Henderson

@RossCreek

The problem with defensemen is that they are at best long shots. They take a lot longer to develop and their intangibles are much harder to measure.

See Jack Johnson, Chris Pronger, Victor Hedman, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Luke Schenn, etc...

Recently there have been way more misses and late round "hits" in the defense draft picks.

Sure he could be wonderful and may even be a +20 40+ point stud. But I would be more willing to bet on Hall scoring 35+, Seguin hitting 60+ points in the next 3 years than Fowler even being a top 2 defenseman by then.

Getting a fully developed defenseman who is a top 2 lock is WAY harder then getting a top 6 forward... BUT drafting one is a crapshoot at best.

#53 Crash
March 16 2010, 05:46PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Really? (about the good d-men part, as Fowler clearly seems to be #3)

I thought that if a d-man & a forward were pretty much a saw off (excluding drafting for needs), that the ol' motto was to take the d-man, no?

Doughty v. Stamkos. No real loser IMO, but I think you gotta take Doughty.

Tavares v. Hedman. I said this last year - if Hedman was a 6-6 Canadian stud d-man & Tavares was a Swedish scoring sensation, I think Hedman goes #1 (again, excluding needs). I liked Duchesne at 3 better, though.

Perhaps Ottawa should have used the above motto when it came down to Daigle v. Pronger, lol.

Nation:

Good D >> Good F ??

I take Stamkos over Doughty and then if I need a d-man I trade for one...it seems the better d-men get moved easier than the better forwards or are easier to acquire...meaning you don't have to give up as much to get them...

How many times has Chris Pronger moved? What did it cost the Oilers to acquire Vishnovsky? Higher end d-men don't cost you as much as high end forwards.

I believe it's a lot easier to acquire a Dion Phaneuf than it is to acquire a Zach Parise...

I would hazard a guess that while it would be tough to acquire either Hedman, Tavares or Duchene...the one that would be easiest to get would be Hedman.

So NO Good D is NOT >> than Good F

#54 Matt Henderson
March 16 2010, 05:54PM

@Crash

Phaneuf isnt in the same league as Parise.

Chris Pronger demanded to be traded.

#55 Lofty
March 16 2010, 06:22PM
Pajamah wrote:

So you're saying it's better to have someone who is weak in most facets of the game, but can be serviceable in one aspect of the game, than a guy who is arguably barely-serviceable in every facet.

Frankly that's like picking a sledgehammer to the face, or being run over by a car

no thanks on both

there are too many good 3rd line type players who went unsigned through large portions of this last offseason. There will be more this season, but more importantly, there will likely be more in 4 seasons when it actually matters for depth purposes.

How do you come to that conclusion from what I said?

The question was do you take A)MacIntyre or B)Strudwick. There is no C or D option.

I took A. Which of the two would you take? That was the question.

#56 Pajamah
March 16 2010, 06:42PM
Lofty wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion from what I said?

I took A. Which of the two would you take? That was the question.

I'm in a different mind set about it

I think having a dedicated fighter who can't play more than 6-8 minutes is wasting a roster spot

everyone always brings up Boogaard running roughshod over the Oilers as an example of why you need a fighter, but really, 25-28 teams in the NHL can't do a damn thing about him ( maybe Chara, John Scott (if they end up on different teams)

Stortini is a good enough light heavyweight to fight most guys, and we need some angry vets to do some of the protection-related fighting.

Strudwick has done a decent job, and is more useful to a team than Steve MacIntyre specifically. So I would take Strudwick. I do definately understand some people opinions to take a fighter instead.

I get why my post was moot, because anyone with any hockey knowledge would take a Jordan Tootoo, David Clarkson type over either player

#57 Harlie
March 16 2010, 07:13PM

Now I totally understand why Quinn chews the shizz out of his gum and is repeatedly switching to new pieces. I have to do the same damn thing eating Juicy Fruit!

A few minutes of blissful soft gum fruit flavored yummness is soon replaced with jaw numbing rubbery no flavoredness.

I eat that stuff at least 2 or 3 pieces at a time and I'm changin' pieces every 10 minutes too.

NOH!

#58 MattL
March 16 2010, 07:47PM

"The Oilers will be able to assign Dubnyk to the minors, dress him up like Rupaul and put him on a jet bound for Oklahoma City accompanied by Rob Daum in clown pants and nobody will blink an eye."

I always wondered how waivers worked.

#59 jake
March 16 2010, 08:12PM

I was going to comment on Gilbert's great passing....to the other team....earlier but waited and I just see he made another great pass to the opposition. There is alot of love for 77 here, wow, 3 years in league and still doing those giveaways.

#60 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
March 16 2010, 08:57PM

Looks like the Leafs won again tonight.

#61 Rob
March 16 2010, 09:37PM

Robin, After tonights display of Hamarstrom-ism by Gibby you might want to reconsider your generous evaluation.

#62 Crash
March 16 2010, 10:11PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Phaneuf isnt in the same league as Parise.

Chris Pronger demanded to be traded.

Pronger only demanded a trade from Edmonton...he was traded previously from St. Louis and was also traded from Anaheim to Philly...I'm pretty sure he didn't demand all of those trades.

Phaneuf was taken much higher than Parise was in the draft and Phaneuf has been touted as one of the top young blue liners in the league, yet he wasn't that difficult to acquire...name me one young forward as highly touted as Phaneuf that has been traded for as little as Phaneuf was traded for?

Fact is and I'll say it again...acquiring higher end d-men or potential higher end d-men is much easier than acquiring higher end forwards...which is why if a forward and d-man are judged as being equal at the draft...I take the forward unless I already have a boat load of good forwards...

#63 OilFan
March 16 2010, 10:15PM
Crash wrote:

So NO Good D is NOT >> than Good F

Sarcastic ? I hope. Dman are in high demand ( Quality offensive ) and rare. Most teams keep them

. Pronger was a free agent i think.

#64 Crash
March 16 2010, 10:28PM
OilFan wrote:

. Pronger was a free agent i think.

Not sarcastic one bit...D-men are in high demand? How long have the Oilers been trying to get high end forwards?

It seems as though they've had an easier time getting higher end d-men (at least those that are rated high or have a history of producing offense - ie: Pronger, Vishnovsky, Whitney) than forwards and so it seems across the league it's the same thing.

And no Pronger was NOT a free agent

#65 OilFan
March 16 2010, 10:48PM
Crash wrote:

And no Pronger was NOT a free agent

Fair point. The so called Heatly deal was for Penner,Cogs and Smid. At the time a struggling Penner and to prospect players i.e Cogs and Smid. Pronger was traded for Smid, Lupul,Riley Nash and Eberle. See any diffence ? That was a deal in which everyone was ripping K Lowe for making. Oilers trade Stoll and Greene for Vishnovsky ( high contract included) Stoll was close to a point a game player at the time for the Oilers through 186 games with 165 points but was coming off a bad injurie and this was to give more ice time to the KID LINE and a young shutdown dman in Greene.

#66 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 16 2010, 11:02PM
Crash wrote:

I'm not really sure why you are so adamant about something that you are essentially guessing on.

35 year old Pronger was also traded for a pretty healthy return, so it's not like he was real "easy" to aquire.

#67 Reagan
March 16 2010, 11:06PM

Is the next season started yet?...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

#68 Elaine
March 16 2010, 11:58PM

Peckham and Chorney are not ready to play for the Oilers on a regular basis next year. That defence Brownlee is too weak.

#69 Travis
March 17 2010, 12:11AM

Really? The deadline just passed. Of course trade talk has dropped off.

But I guess we need what Tom Gilbert gives, which is the puck to the other team. At least he's leading the way to a solid pick this year and a good shot at another one next year, which could be his replacement in Larsson.

#70 Sandra
March 17 2010, 12:17AM

There was reasons why Tambilini was always the bride and never the GM until Lowe came calling. Lowe has no eye for talent, and Tambilini, who has no idea what direction to take this team. If he knew he was rebuilding why would he sign a 37 year old drunk for 15M. Her thougtht he was going to compete? With out that 3rd line center who can win face offs? With him asigning Eberle to the AHL " We want him to play with future NHL'ers this year" With who exactly? Reddox? Every interview you hear, he always asks himself the question and then answer it. This organization is so screwed. I can't wait to see who they pick in the draft.

#71 Robin Brownlee
March 17 2010, 07:26AM
Elaine wrote:

If Souray is gone, I tend to agree, that's why I called the group thin on the bottom end and suggested adding a veteran.

If it's Gilbert, Whitney, Smid, Johnson, veteran and Chorney with Petry as the seventh, it's passable. If Souray isn't moved, you still add the veteran and have Chorney as the seventh.

I didn't suggest this is a set group but would be OK on a team that won't contend next season. Beyond that, like I said, you'll probably have to improve this group.

#72 HATECRIME
March 17 2010, 08:04AM

just a thought: seguin and hall tied for points this year and seguin is a year younger.So why is hall so coveted over seguin.

#73 Robin Brownlee
March 17 2010, 09:06AM
HATECRIME wrote:

Seguin isn't a year younger. He's born Jan. 31 1992 compared to Hall at Nov. 14, 1991. Less than three months.

And Hall is not "so coveted" over Seguin. Most scouting staffs, including the Oilers, are split on the two of them. It's a close call.

#74 Rick
March 17 2010, 09:10AM

Am I the only one that watches Peckham and sees Shaun Brown?

I liked Shaun Brown so it's not meant to be an insult to Peckham but it does lead to questioning just what we can expect out of Peckham in terms of where his game may top out at and if he is a guy that should be firmly in the Oilers plans moving forward.

#75 Matt Henderson
March 17 2010, 09:14AM
Crash wrote:

The draft is over. No one cares how good Phaneuf was as a 17 year old any more. The guy is a shaved ape on skates. Parise has proven to be a much better NHL player to date.

You claim its a fact that it's easier to acquire elite defensemen, but so far you've managed to name 1 elite defenseman who has publicly demanded to be traded from here. It isnt a fact, its your opinion and I'm pretty sure that opinion is in the minority. Hardly a fact.

#76 swany
March 17 2010, 10:09AM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

No chance I do that.

Commodore is 30, he's overpaid and has three more years of a $3.750 cap hit remaining. He's a second-pairing guy at best, and only if he has a mobile partner. If the argument is the Oilers need a veteran stay-at-home type, and I'd agree, there are cheaper and younger choices.

I like the way Boll plays, but he has been concussed so many times already he has one foot out of the league.

That means your trading Hemsky and Hall/Seguin for Fowler. Sound good?

As for Stauffer, the Jackets need a forward who can get Nash the puck, so I'm thinking you're stretching to suggest he meant Fowler.

Robin I think you misread what I said or I wrote it wrong all I'm trading is Hemsky and I'm getting there pick plus Boll and Commadore now the reason Bob put Commadore in the deal was because he thinks we will have to take back money so in the deal we lose Hemsky and add the 3rd overall pick, Boll and Commadore and the OIL KEEP there pick not trade it away. In this deal then the Oil get Hall/Seguin Fowler, Boll Commadore and lose Hemmer

#77 Mike Krushelnyski
March 17 2010, 10:33AM

@swany

I would rather trade Hemsky straight up for the pick and not take Commadore's anchor of a contract.

Either way, there's no way I trade Hemsky for a pick. Hall or Seguin are big goal scorers, but they're not going to be able to do it all by themselves. Why would we not want Hemsky around to play with which ever one ends up here? I think dealing Hemsky at this point only hurts any sort of rebuild effort. Hopefully Hall/Seguin turns into the centerpiece of the Oilers' offence somewhere down the road, but let's be realistic, Hemsky is going to be our best player for at least the next 2-3 years.

#78 quicksilver ballet
March 17 2010, 10:34AM

What if we tanked it for another year, got another top 3 pick next summer. Keep all the players with 1 yr left on their deals and then rid ourselves of Horcoff next summer. In 13 months we could close the book on the 06 Oiler legends and usher in a whole new era of Oiler hockey.

Maybe the next CBA could bring relief to an albatross such as Horcoff.

I'd also be hammering away on the Islanders to see if we could aquire their first round this year.

Lets see some of that expect the unexpected Steven.

#79 TigerUnderGlass
March 17 2010, 11:16AM

@Crash

And no Pronger was NOT a free agent

I don't remember the situation that well but did he not sign a shiny new contract in Edmonton?

I seem to remember Edmonton trading for his rights and then signing him, but I could be mistaken because I was living out of the country. If it were otherwise wouldn't his year in Edmonton have been on his St Louis contract after which he could have just walked instead of demanding a trade?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

#80 swany
March 17 2010, 11:18AM
Mike Krushelnyski wrote:

It's not that I don't want Hemmer, hell I would love to resign the guy, it was brought up on Oilers lunch that Nash needs a guy to feed him the puck so I e-mailed Bob with the Hemsky to the Jackets for there 1st pick plus Boll (we need a guy that can skate and hit)Bob said no way the Jackets do it unless we take back more money so HE added Commadore. If this deal went down look at what the Oil could end up with, Hall/Seguin Fowler, Boll and Commadore for Hemsky not a bad return for one guy Commadore's cap hit is a worry and it's for 3 more years (as Robin has pointed out) but in the new NHL gotta take something back to make deals.

#81 Mike Krushelnyski
March 17 2010, 11:27AM

@swany

But we already have Hall/Seguin so you can't count that as part of the return.

Really it boils down to Hemsky for a 4th line tough guy with concussion issues, a prospect and an overpaid second pairing D-man who could very well be Steve Staios 2.0.

I understand that we would have to take salary back so that's where Commadore comes in, but this deal only works out for the Oilers if Fowler turns out to be a significantly better player than Hemsky. Does that seem likely?

#82 OILERSORDEATH
March 17 2010, 11:30AM

I've seen the way Hall can skate and he surley has some speed. But I have not seen Seguin skate, does anyone have any insight on how his skating is compared to Hall's? Is he just as fast? Is he a more fluid skater?

#83 RossCreekNation
March 17 2010, 11:34AM

@swany

Someone also called in and suggested Hemsky for Nikita Filatov & Columbus' 1st.

*Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger*

#84 Mike Krushelnyski
March 17 2010, 11:42AM

@RossCreekNation

Let's just trade our first for Nash! Then Howson doesn't have that pesky headache of finding someone to play with him! Win-win!

#85 Milli
March 17 2010, 12:08PM

I like Peckham, hope he can be a 6th dman next year. I also hope we can do a proper rebuild, of course as of today, I have no faith, nut, I really hope....

#86 dragon
March 17 2010, 12:46PM

for what he's being paid, Tom Gilbert makes way too many mistakes, is too reluctant to engage and has a long learning curve ahead.

might just be the right player for the Oilers, given there seems to be an agreement that nothing is going to happen in the next 3 years...

management sure should be happy fans don't mind the wait: expect the expected!

#87 Andrew
March 17 2010, 06:05PM

Gilbert is going to be difficult to deal anyway with a 20M/4Y cap hit. And Robin is right. We already moved 2 puck moving dmen. If we move Gilbert we will end up with only Whitney and it will be tougher for us to move the puck. If the rumours about Souray do become reality and he's moved to Dallas for Niskanen then I would say move Gilbert as Niskanen is a RFA and would be cheaper to sign. I really wondered why the Oilers wouldn't sign Nick Boynton as he's a veteran defender who is quite physical. He does take penalties but that's kind of the double edged sword of physical dmen.

Also just to chime in on the Pronger issue, St Louis didn't want to move him but were over the salary cap and he had the largest salary on the club at about 6M/Y. St Louis was under the gun and didn't want to have to move the equivalent of 2-3 players to get under the cap that year as I believe the cap ceiling was 39M in 05-06. The only time Pronger was moved was because of cap issues. Also Phaneuf is not elite. He is highly touted and young at 24 but his positional play and ability to read the offence is questionable. He is a noticeable player because he has a great shot and hits like a monster but I could name so many dmen that are better. Ummmm... let's see... Seabrook, Keith, Doughty, Neidermeyer, Pronger, Lidstrom, Orpik, Bouwmeester, Willie Mitchell, Bieksa, Chara, Andrei Markov, Mike Green, Boyle, Suter, Weber, Robidas, Hamhuis, Streit, etc. I could name more but you get the picture and I'm rating this on overall skills.

#88 Andrew
March 17 2010, 06:09PM

Also they should pick Seguin, his even strength numbers are way better and he's the more complete player and is stronger at the centre position. We already drafted wingers in Eberle and Svensson.

Also who would you rather have as a centerpiece a complete player like Yzerman/Sakic or a flashy offensive player like Bure/Mogilny/Heatley

#89 michael
March 17 2010, 06:19PM

Didn't Howson already give us a top 6 foward who can score 25-30 goals. I would argue that Brule given the opportunity would perform to that level. I look at his PP numbers and TOI and I see I player who has performed to and above Quinns expectations. How often have I heard the sports pundits remark this season that he needs to be given more ice time based upon his performance. I would offer A. Johnson a contract in a heartbeat. 2 way of course. Same deal for Strudwick. This organization needs Strudwick in Oklahoma next year. A veteran like Jason would be invaluable in bringing along some of our prospects. Would he take 650 grand to play in Oklahoma? I know the money seems too much, but the long term benefit to this organizations defense prospects I believe is worthwhile. A loyal player who is looking towards life after hockey. Ala Kelly Buchburger. I'd waive Bulin before JD or Devan. I disagreed with the signing from the beginning. I would rather see Harding starting for us with JD as his backup.

#90 michael
March 17 2010, 06:24PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Someone also called in and suggested Hemsky for Nikita Filatov & Columbus' 1st.

*Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger*

Filatov is suspect and the draft pick is a prospect. Not a deal I would think favors us in any way or manner.

#91 Canadasportsguy
March 17 2010, 09:55PM

The Oilers better have a better group of d-men that what you listed Bronwlee. That group needs a solid stay at home vet, with some nasty.

TBH www.canadasportsguy.com

#92 Jolene Fendelet
March 18 2010, 12:15AM

well all i have to say if they get rid of souray i will switch i thought they cant get trade him because he is injured always get a good d man then what do they do just ship them off in a few years big mistake if they do this i swear to god why they get rid of vinny yes salary gap but hello horcoff doing nothing and moreu is useless