Oilers Vs. Predators Postgame: Grebeshkov!

Jonathan Willis
March 02 2010 10:16PM

Nashville Predators: 4

Edmonton Oilers: 3

A day after dealing defenceman Denis Grebeshkov, the Russian rear-guard made his greatest contribution yet to the dive for five, scoring a goal and adding an assist in Nashville’s 4-3 victory over the Oilers.

Given the trade, I decided to focus solely on Denis Grebeshkov rather than watching the game. It’s something I do when I’m really trying to evaluate a player and something I recommend to any fan; isolate the one player and follow him throughout (I started doing it after reading an NHL scout describe the technique to Gare Joyce in Future Greats and Heartbreaks).

Grebeshkov had a good, if not great, game. The offence was there, and he really is a wizard on the offensive side of the red line. His first point was a smart if awkward looking jump to the far side of the ice, the kind that looks really bad if it doesn’t work out. He pressured the Oilers’ forward (I believe it was Pouliot), causing a turnover which led to the Predators first goal. He did a lot of good things on the ice, the kind of things that remind any Oilers fan why he had such success at times during his tenure in Edmonton.

One of the less charming sides of Grebeshkov’s game is this thing he does where he needs to make a decision, but it seems like his brain gets stuck and by the time it re-engages it’s too late. He did it tonight at least once; hauling down Andrew Cogliano as he belatedly reacted to the speeding forward. He didn’t end up getting the minor penalty because Pouliot scored, but it was a vintage moment.

Speaking of Pouliot, he had a splendid game; his whole line from what I saw, in fact. His goal against Rinne was a beautiful thing to behold, a perfect shot that came about because both Brule and Cogliano made smart plays leading to the goal.

One final thought: I didn’t see a great angle on Ethan Moreau’s penalty with two minutes left in the game, but it sure looked like an iffy call.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#1 Petr's Jofa
March 03 2010, 07:10AM

Tough loss.

There goes the 17 day unbeaten streak.

#2 jeanshorts
March 03 2010, 01:29AM

@Moop

Don't worry, I thought it was funny, and really my opinion is the only one that matters around here because, let's face it, I'm amazing.

*gives himself a props*

#3 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 03 2010, 08:04AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

So... Kypreos says he'd "be very surprised if Andrew Cogliano remains an Oiler" today.

kypreos also had his career end unconcious face down in a puddle of his own blood...

he gets surprised when he gets his shoes on the right feet after the 3rd try

#4 Ender
March 03 2010, 08:54AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

As per Darren Dreger...

To encourage a trade, Sheldon Souray has softened...won't go to a CDN team, but will waive for 19 other teams.

I wonder who the five American teams are that he would rather stay with the Oilers than go to. Can you imagine how that would make a GM feel?

"Souray, come on down to Minnesota."

"Ummm, no thanks. I'd rather be an Oiler."

"Really? Ouch . . ."

#5 Archaeologuy
March 02 2010, 10:29PM

Going from the Gold Medal game to this is tough. Good for Grebeshkov, he played really well.

#6 NHL Trade Deadline
March 02 2010, 10:31PM

The Oilers need to dump off more than just Grebeshkov, but it's a start.

#7 Moop
March 02 2010, 10:34PM

Grebeshkov just shoved it up the backsides of everyone who defended the trade once and for all.

#8 Tha Legion
March 02 2010, 10:40PM

@Archaeologuy

Is it possible he that Pouliot is finally coming into his own? .400 PPG and playing like a big 2 way player

#9 Moop
March 02 2010, 11:02PM
Chamucks Deluxe wrote:

Because that will NEVER get old.

Ehhh...I figured it had a good 2-3 more uses left in it.

Besides, even if it is getting old, we can just add it to the list of things that Oilers fans are sick of seeing but continue to endure, such as: (1) losses (2) bad turnovers (3) own goals (4) Ethan Moreau (5) JDD mishandling the puck (6) Steve Tambellini's John Ferguson Jr. impression

#10 Jodes
March 02 2010, 11:08PM

Go figure that Ethan Moreau's last shift with the Oilers is spent in the penalty box..

#11 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 06:42AM

#12 The Towel Boy
March 03 2010, 07:31AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Garrioch says "the Isles have shown interest in Andrew Cogliano".

My wife says "Oh my, that Cogliano is CUUUUUTEE!!!"

#13 Bucknuck
March 03 2010, 07:51AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Garrioch says "the Isles have shown interest in Andrew Cogliano".

~Cogliano for Schremp~

I think I would throw up.

#14 Alon
March 02 2010, 10:32PM

Is it ok to miss Grebs already?

#15 Chamucks Deluxe
March 02 2010, 10:48PM

@Moop

Because that will NEVER get old.

#16 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 02 2010, 11:09PM
Tha Legion wrote:

Ya, he's been good. Just might be a player after all.

#17 Librarian Mike
March 02 2010, 11:12PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Ya, he's been good. Just might be a player after all.

~He totally carried that Crosby guy in Rimouski.~

Seriously though, it's good to see that he's starting to play better. Hopefully he can be consistent with it (I'm looking at you Messrs. Cogliano and Nilsson).

#18 JackBauer
March 03 2010, 12:13AM

Pouliott is shoving it up the backsides of his critics once and for all.

#19 Jagrbaum
March 03 2010, 12:49AM
Jodes wrote:

Captain Penalty at his best

#20 Eric Johnson
March 03 2010, 01:33AM

Okay WTF! We finally get rid of that AWFUL Loverboy banner ad Photo and it's replaced with DON RICKLES! He looks like a geriatric version of Bob Mackenzie...

I almost threw up my oreos....

Jeeze Louise Bingofuel.... maybe a warning or something... anything.

#21 Lofty
March 03 2010, 06:39AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Ya, he's been good. Just might be a player after all.

Speaking of which I noticed that Schremp has been helping out the NYI now that he's back in the line-up. 2 assists and a +2 for the night.

#22 Rob...
March 03 2010, 07:14AM

I know it's popular to slam Moreau for penalties, and god knows he often deserves the ridicule, but I agree with both Willis and the play by play staff on last night. That was a poor call on the guy. I actually felt sorry for him that his performance on possibly his last shift with the Oilers was taken out of his hands.

#23 The Towel Boy
March 03 2010, 07:19AM

Hey. It's Trade Deadline Day. Neat.

#24 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 07:22AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Garrioch says "the Isles have shown interest in Andrew Cogliano".

#25 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 07:34AM

A 'Nation' liveblog of deadline day...

#26 rubbertrout
March 03 2010, 07:37AM

Maybe Tambo will show his acumen as a GM and trade back for Grebs only this time he'll give up a first and a second round pick to bring him back into the fold.

I wish I was smart like that.

#27 Petr's Jofa
March 03 2010, 07:44AM

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, DownGoesBrown has a great trade deadline blog about how NHL GMs have imbraced new technology.

Was Grebs ever the star of the game in Edmonton? Wow did JDD look horrible, I guess the two week break made him forget how to play net.

#29 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 08:02AM

Apparently the Jackets are asking for a 1st rounder for Torres... (as per McKenzie)

#30 Bucknuck
March 03 2010, 08:04AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

IF that actually happened it would unhinge my jaw.

#31 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 08:13AM

As per Darren Dreger...

#32 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 03 2010, 08:14AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

As per Darren Dreger...

big sex must be desperate to get out.

send him to atlanta!!!!

#33 Twiggs
March 03 2010, 08:32AM
Bucknuck wrote:

~Cogliano for Schremp~

I think I would throw up.

I was listening to the Team this morning and heard that the Isles were interested in Cogs. The exact same thought went through my head!

#34 Librarian Mike
March 03 2010, 08:47AM
Bucknuck wrote:

~Cogliano for Schremp~

I think I would throw up.

~We need a goalie. I've heard that Roloson guy is pretty good.~

#35 Bucknuck
March 03 2010, 08:57AM

@Ender

Atlanta and Florida are a sure bet.

#36 rindog
March 03 2010, 09:02AM

JW,

Just curious how you really get a good opportunity to focus solely on ONE player while watching a TV broadcast?

Are you just reffering to the times in which he has the puck? (usually where the camera's focus)

I realize that this is just a small sample observation, but it might be useful to note that only observations in which the player has (or is near) the puck are able to be observed...

#37 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 09:10AM
Ender wrote:

"Souray, come on down to Minnesota."

"Ummm, no thanks. I'd rather be an Oiler."

"Really? Ouch . . ."

Atlanta, Florida, Columbus, Carolina... and...

#38 Hat Pughes
March 03 2010, 09:22AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Yawwwwnnnn...yup Kypper is so connected...umm wasnt Cogliano not an Oiler this summer when he was announced moving to Ottawa.

#39 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 09:27AM

As per Bryn Griffiths...

Word around Regina is that Jordan Eberle plays his final game in Regina on the 14th and then heads to EDM the following day. Hmmm. We'll see