GDB LXXII: POP QUIZ

Wanye
March 21 2010 01:25PM

Pop Quiz hotshot: Two teams square off in a ice hockey match tonight. One team has won 5 of their last 7 games on home ice and the other squad has lost four in a row and risks being passed by the lowly Phoenix Coyotes in the standings.

Who do you pick?

The team that has been hot on home ice? Welp, you just picked the Edmonton Oilers to beat the San Jose Sharks.

Awesome.

Because NHL seasons cannot be cut short simply because you are in 30th place in the league, the Oilers and the Sharks play ice hockey tonight at the local antequated arena. That 30th place statistic is actually quite misleading, the Oilers are also 7 points away from being eliminated from the 2011 playoffs as well and could probably be given an additional 20 games on the rest of the league and wouldn't be able to climb out of the basement.

Things are so hilariously dire over at the Oilers official site that not only has the team forgotten how to win several games in succession, but the spin staff they have have abandoned proof reading their "stories" which brings the loloz:

The Oilers are going with newly minted NHL winner Devan Dubnyk in net again tonight, in an attempt to allow him to play his way from "never going to see NHL ice again after the season" all the way up to "snowball's chance in hell of staying in the league." And despite Dubnyk's complete lack of NHL calibre goaltending skill we have to admit we were happy for the big lug collecting his win against the Wings on Friday even after that last second hiccup that saw the game sent to overtime. That l'il gaffe probably cost the Flames a playoff berth and the small joys in life are what sustain us at the moment.

Can the Oilers beat the Sharks tonight at Rexall Place? Certain statistics, taken completely out of context and looked at on a stand alone basis seem to suggest they can. They have been mildly decent at home of late and the Sharks have been faltering down the stretch. It could just be that we are going to personally witness a win in seven hours time at RX1, once we have had the time to work our way through several of the finest plastic cups of ale they will sell us.

But you don't have to take our word for it: ""We feel confident at home. A big start is necessary, maybe get the first goal and see what's going to happen," - Marc Pouliot. That's the kind of confidence we want to see. And hey, like Garnett says "anything is possible!"

Oh and just because we love you all so very much:

Heh heh heh. That South Park is some kind of funny. They must keep thousands of lawyers on retainer.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#51 Wanyes bastard child
March 21 2010, 08:24PM

Bench clearing brawl anyone?

#52 Heavyd
March 21 2010, 08:25PM

COMRIE IS MY STAR.

#53 Heavyd
March 21 2010, 08:26PM

@Wanyes bastard child

That would be sweet.

#54 Heavyd
March 21 2010, 08:27PM

Can the Oilers win the rest of thier games?

#55 RossCreekNation
March 21 2010, 08:27PM

@Crash

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

You'ze a clown, lolz.

#56 jeanshorts
March 21 2010, 08:28PM

Settle down Devon. You don't want to win them all in one clump.

#57 Freezing Weather Fan
March 21 2010, 08:33PM

Well hey, glad to see boys pull it off now that it doesnt matter too much. Good thing we managed to build up a solid lead in the points race before we go on our last 10 games of the season run.

#58 Crash
March 21 2010, 08:36PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

You'ze a clown, lolz.

I'm not good with acronyms...but I'm sure you were saying something good

#59 m3sh
March 21 2010, 08:53PM
Crash wrote:

I'm not good with acronyms...but I'm sure you were saying something good

Do/Does I/it Look Like I Give A F***.

just lettin ya know. ;) You've probably figured it out by now, or already knew it, and I now look like a douche.

#60 RossCreekNation
March 21 2010, 09:00PM

@Crash

Wow... hostile much? If you dislike me cuz I cheer for the Flames, whatevs. I'm not quite sure if you're just playing around sometimes or if you have some kind of problem with me. That's cool. But if you think a little Flames smack upsets me in any way, it doesn't. What's your agenda?

#61 David S
March 21 2010, 09:00PM
Milli wrote:

Peckham just got drilled, and no answer from any player, I hope one day we can become a tough team that plays for each other...

mybe that hit wasn't as bad as it originaly looked.

Separated shoulder.

#62 David S
March 21 2010, 09:01PM

I have no mental frame of reference that allows me to understand how we played so well tonight. None.

#63 Crash
March 21 2010, 09:03PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I don't have an agenda and I was hardly hostile....you attack me with just as much venom as I do you....I'm just an Oiler fan sticking up for my team and showing my distaste for the Flames....

I believe you started this with your post about Oiler fan golfing in mid April...

I'm just throwing back some barbs...

If you can't stand the heat you have to get out of the kitchen...

You are saying that the smack doesn't upset you but apparently it does.

I don't have a problem with you personally whatsoever...

#64 Crash
March 21 2010, 09:07PM
m3sh wrote:

Do/Does I/it Look Like I Give A F***.

Actually no you don't look like a douche...I really didn't know what it meant...so thanks, lol

And I never really looked at it close enough to try to figure it out....but i'll know if i see it again :)

#65 RossCreekNation
March 21 2010, 09:15PM

@Crash

K. See the '~' before and after my golf smack take? That indicates sarcasm, right? (I assume you know this?) In other words, as a Flames fan, I'm (sarcastically) saying 'enjoy the golf' as though it doesn't pertain to me (when clearly it does). It was meant in an ironic, sarcastic way. It was also in reaction to some earlier golf comments, in a fun way. Perhaps you took me serious and think that I think the Flames are going to make the playoffs. Psssh... please. Trust me, most (informed) Flames fans are well aware of their current (and future) situation.

*extends olive branch*

**smacks crash over the head with tree stump ;-)**

#66 Matt Henderson
March 21 2010, 09:18PM

Does anyone else have the irrational fear that the Oilers will keep winning?

#67 Crash
March 21 2010, 09:21PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

*extends olive branch*

**smacks crash over the head with tree stump ;-)**

I actually haven't been on the site long enough to know what all the acronyms and signs stand for such as the ~ sign...so here I thought it was opening up a can or worms...my bad

so no I didn't realize the sarcasm...but thanks for the update...I now know what it means...

I do enjoy the debates on here and I even enjoy the back and forth barbs and most of the time I'm not really upset I'm just having fun...

*accepts olive branch*

and calmly removes tree stump from top of head :)

#68 Tha Legion
March 21 2010, 09:22PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

*extends olive branch*

**smacks crash over the head with tree stump ;-)**

Settle this jive in the streets, i'm talking about a BATTLE RAP!!!!!!!

#69 Crash
March 21 2010, 09:24PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

Does anyone else have the irrational fear that the Oilers will keep winning?

I don't really have the fear that they'll win enough to make up the gap...going into tonight the magic number of points needed to clinch the last spot is 10...any combo of Leafs points gained or Oiler pts lost totalling 10 and 30th is in the bag....

I'm sure between the Leafs and us we can lose at least 5 pts in the last 10 and the Leafs should be able to pick up 5...can't they?

#70 Bombay
March 21 2010, 09:28PM

It really doesn't matter if the oil keep winning. They would have to win six more games then the maple leafs in their last 10 games. That's extremely unlikely, especially considering that the leafs are playing quite well right now. So calm your irrational fears archaeology. We're pretty much guaranteed hall or seguin at this point. And you have to admit it's nice to see the boys win. Plus it can only do good things for the young guys heading into next year.

#71 Matt Henderson
March 21 2010, 09:38PM

@Crash

It's an irrational fear. Your logic has no place here.

*continues to fear: the Oilers will win enough to gain 29th place, clowns, chicken skin, and dairy products after the best before date*

#72 m3sh
March 21 2010, 09:47PM
Tha Legion wrote:

Settle this jive in the streets, i'm talking about a BATTLE RAP!!!!!!!

Better yet:

"it's anyone's game..."

#73 Crash
March 21 2010, 09:48PM
Matt Henderson wrote:

It's an irrational fear. Your logic has no place here.

Well I guess there is always room for fear as long as it's mathematically possible but have no fear we still have some road games...

Maybe it's best the Oil leave Eberle down until we have clinched 30th :)

#74 RossCreekNation
March 21 2010, 09:57PM
m3sh wrote:

Better yet:

"it's anyone's game..."

Hahahaha... Is that Will Ferrell or Ric Flair?

#75 m3sh
March 21 2010, 09:58PM

@Matt Henderson

I'm there with you Arch. I can feel this anti-miracle occurring where we win 7 of last 10, Toronto goes all losses the whole last 10, and we then lose the draft lottery and end up with Fowler, who ends up not panning out until we trade him to the Kansas City Scouts (version 2)/Las Vegas Strip (TM), formerly of Pheonix.

#76 Dan the Man
March 21 2010, 09:58PM
Crash wrote:

Maybe it's best the Oil leave Eberle down until we have clinched 30th :)

I secretly think that's the real reason he'll stay down in the AHL. Plus if he came up chances are he'd dislocate a shoulder anyways.

#77 m3sh
March 21 2010, 10:00PM

@RossCreekNation

Oh it's Ferrell, and black dood from the Office.

"it only rarely gets out of hand"...

LOL.

#78 Matt Henderson
March 21 2010, 10:08PM

@m3sh

It's so twisted that I worry about them winning too much, but it would be just like the Oilers to make the worst of a terrible situation.

#79 madjam
March 22 2010, 09:57AM

First game Eberle does not score in and he may have to finish season in the infirmary with a suspected "hangnail " (tongue in cheek)? By the way, when is O'Sullivan due back in the lineup ?