GDB LXXIII: Dubs out, Deslauriers in

Jason Gregor
March 23 2010 02:23PM

I didn’t make it to the morning skate today, because I had the honour of being a judge at W. D Cuts Junior High. Nine grade nine boys and girls presented their essays in a speech forum today on a variety of topics (more on that later).

I put in a few calls to Rishaug and Brownlee and found out I didn’t miss much this morning, other than Pat Quinn lucking out.

Quinn didn’t have to make a decision to stick with his “win and you keep playing” strategy with his goalies because Devan Dubnyk is sick and won’t be able to start tonight. Dubnyk might be forced to sit on the bench, because the Golden Bears are on their way to the CIS championship and Torrie Jung left the city once the Oil Kings’ season wrapped up March 13th.

They have yet to find a suitable back up. No word yet if he’ll get to borrow Wanye and bingofuel’s puke bucket from Sunday evening’s rendezvous with Rubbertrout.

For the record, if Dubnyk was healthy Quinn should have started him because a coach should never waver on a decision. We’ll never know what Quinn would have done, so we can assume he would have done the right thing, kept his word, and let Dubnyk start.

Patrick O’Sullivan was the last forward on the ice, going through some extra skating drills so it looks like the only changes will be Jeff Deslauriers in goal and Dean Arsene on the blueline in place of the injured Theo Peckham.

The Oilers have been outscored 18-7 in five games v. the Canucks this year, and have lost four straight since winning the first meeting on Oct 19. The Canucks lead the western conference with 236 goals, they have six 20-goal scorers and Mason Raymond needs two points to give them six forwards with 50+points.

The Washington Capitals have four forwards with 50+ points, (plus D-man Mike Green’s 70 points) and should finish with six forwards above 50 as Tomas Fleischmann and Mike Knuble sit at 48 and 46 respectively.

The Canucks have two bona fide scoring lines, or at least they will when Mikael Samuelsson returns next week, and they will be a handful for the Oilers tonight.

The Sedin sisters have owned the Oilers the past four years and it will be interesting to see how Tom Gilbert and Ryan Whitney fare against them. Tom Renney will try to have that pairing on the ice as much as he can against the Sedins.

PPV

With back-to-back wins over the Wings and Sharks, the Oilers PR staff is breathing a bit easier because people will actually purchase the PPV tonight. A meager two-game winning streak has given Oiler fans a little bounce in their step, and with the hated Canucks in town tonight, the PPV numbers will probably be okay.

Going out with a bang

The Canucks have a lot of guys who like to stir the pot, and the Oilers have shown a bit more grit in their game lately, so we might get to see some emotion tonight.

The Canucks are five points behind Chicago and Phoenix for first place in the conference and five points up on the Avalanche in the Northwest division, so this game isn’t life and death for them, but a win could move them within three of second in the conference with Phoenix playing in Chicago tonight.

The Oilers are firmly in 30th place, but they want to keep rolling so hopefully we see some animosity tonight.

True competitors

Like I said I wasn’t at the morning skate today, instead I was judging some grade nine boys and girls on their essay presentations.

I really enjoy going to the schools and listening to the speeches. It’s a bit weird being called Mr. Gregor so much though. Yet it's cool to know that junior high kids are into sports radio. I grew up listening to John Short and it is nice to know that kids aren’t too cool for "terrestrial radio."

Today’s topics ranged from music, best slasher villain, superstitions, laughter, nightmares vs. night terrors (I had no clue there was a difference), bullying, women’s rights, human genetic engineering and divorce.

Kids in junior high have way more to worry about than I did when I was in school. We didn’t have the Internet, Facebook, texting and there wasn’t a lot of talk about teen pregnancy or drugs.

Did any of you know about the “Honesty Box” feature on Facebook? Easily the stupidest function they could put on there. It allows kids to post anonymous comments on other kid’s profiles about their classmates. Imagine being in junior high and clicking on your profile page and reading insults or jokes said in your direction. (Most adults can’t handle hearing that never mind being an adolescent) The inventors of Facebook should re-think some of their features.

I was really impressed with Katie, Josh, Andrea, Arman, Megan, Tyler, Ashley, Sarah and Ryker. They touched on some mature subjects and were all solid with their delivery. I’d make the worst teacher, because I had a hard time picking the top-three.

I saw great courage and poise from all of them and it was a nice break from the usual sports routine that I do. Thanks for having me back for the second year and I look forward to next year. A sports related topic might win you first place – just sayin'.

>> Read what the enemy has to say about tonight's game.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Wanyes bastard child
March 23 2010, 07:28PM

@Archaeologuy

That being said... do whatever needed to improve the team, if another team has more interest in Nillson over POS then you have to take it.

#52 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 07:33PM

@Wanyes bastard child

yeah, if I was making the roster for next year, I wouldnt have space for either of them.

#53 Kizz
March 23 2010, 07:34PM

thats better 2-1 .. i would like to see a high scoring game with a loss and luongo getting pulled... for such an elite goalie he sure gets pulled alot

#54 Lofty
March 23 2010, 07:34PM

Strudwick working his magic again... they should call him magic man

#55 Pajamah
March 23 2010, 08:14PM
Lofty wrote:

Strudwick working his magic again... they should call him magic man

el diablo, it means crazy chicken, or something like that.

**Prepares to jump on the first person who doesnt get said reference**

#56 Wanyes bastard child
March 23 2010, 08:15PM

Cogs gets another for the "beat the heat" :)

#57 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 08:17PM

@Pajamah

Shake and Bake!

#58 Wanyes bastard child
March 23 2010, 08:23PM
Pajamah wrote:

el diablo, it means crazy chicken, or something like that.

**Prepares to jump on the first person who doesnt get said reference**

I don't get it..

*ducks*

#59 third string plumber
March 23 2010, 08:24PM

just logged on to justintv oil up 3-1 wow!

#60 Pajamah

That JUST HAPPENED!!

#62 Wanyes bastard child
March 23 2010, 08:58PM
Pajamah wrote:

I'm a fat guy, if I jump, part of me is bound to hit you on the way down

*suggestive pelvic thrust*

I'm a small guy, I dodge very easily ;)

#63 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 23 2010, 08:59PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Yeah, I am genuinely surprised that someone can play a game in the NHL and get a $100 per-diem. An ATO, in my mind, covers practicing with the team not playing games. It doesnt happen very often, so I understand why the PA wouldnt die on a hill for it. Still. Does that seem right to anyone?

Not me.

what does seem right with the NHL and its CBA?

#64 GSC
March 23 2010, 09:10PM

You heard it here (not necessarily first, but you heard it here anyway): Jeff Petry will forego his senior year at Michigan State and will be signing an entry level contract with the Oilers. For once, I get to brag about having a connection!

Anxious to see what he can do in the pros, he's been impressive in the NCAA.

#65 Pajamah
March 23 2010, 09:23PM
GSC wrote:

Anxious to see what he can do in the pros, he's been impressive in the NCAA.

Great job Bubbles

Turtle, Kirk Douglas, care to confirm?

#66 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 09:26PM

My nightmare is coming true. The Oilers win and the Leafs lose. DFF cushion down to 9 points.

#67 GSC
March 23 2010, 09:26PM
Pajamah wrote:

Great job Bubbles

Turtle, Kirk Douglas, care to confirm?

Kitties aren't supposed to smell like dope, Ricky! They're supposed to smell like kitties!

#68 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

March 23 2010, 09:39PM

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

#71 GSC
March 23 2010, 09:39PM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

is your connection twitter? lol

Lol no, but should I have made it more Eklund-esque?

"Petry to go pro, waiting to confirm..."

#72 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 23 2010, 09:43PM
GSC wrote:

Lol no, but should I have made it more Eklund-esque?

"Petry to go pro, waiting to confirm..."

E5, dominos to fall when dog is no longer being humped...

****dumps acid in eyes for even mentioning that fart catching douche bag***

#73 Crash