GDB LXXIII: Dubs out, Deslauriers in

Jason Gregor
March 23 2010 02:23PM

I didn’t make it to the morning skate today, because I had the honour of being a judge at W. D Cuts Junior High. Nine grade nine boys and girls presented their essays in a speech forum today on a variety of topics (more on that later).

I put in a few calls to Rishaug and Brownlee and found out I didn’t miss much this morning, other than Pat Quinn lucking out.

Quinn didn’t have to make a decision to stick with his “win and you keep playing” strategy with his goalies because Devan Dubnyk is sick and won’t be able to start tonight. Dubnyk might be forced to sit on the bench, because the Golden Bears are on their way to the CIS championship and Torrie Jung left the city once the Oil Kings’ season wrapped up March 13th.

They have yet to find a suitable back up. No word yet if he’ll get to borrow Wanye and bingofuel’s puke bucket from Sunday evening’s rendezvous with Rubbertrout.

For the record, if Dubnyk was healthy Quinn should have started him because a coach should never waver on a decision. We’ll never know what Quinn would have done, so we can assume he would have done the right thing, kept his word, and let Dubnyk start.

Patrick O’Sullivan was the last forward on the ice, going through some extra skating drills so it looks like the only changes will be Jeff Deslauriers in goal and Dean Arsene on the blueline in place of the injured Theo Peckham.

The Oilers have been outscored 18-7 in five games v. the Canucks this year, and have lost four straight since winning the first meeting on Oct 19. The Canucks lead the western conference with 236 goals, they have six 20-goal scorers and Mason Raymond needs two points to give them six forwards with 50+points.

The Washington Capitals have four forwards with 50+ points, (plus D-man Mike Green’s 70 points) and should finish with six forwards above 50 as Tomas Fleischmann and Mike Knuble sit at 48 and 46 respectively.

The Canucks have two bona fide scoring lines, or at least they will when Mikael Samuelsson returns next week, and they will be a handful for the Oilers tonight.

The Sedin sisters have owned the Oilers the past four years and it will be interesting to see how Tom Gilbert and Ryan Whitney fare against them. Tom Renney will try to have that pairing on the ice as much as he can against the Sedins.

PPV

With back-to-back wins over the Wings and Sharks, the Oilers PR staff is breathing a bit easier because people will actually purchase the PPV tonight. A meager two-game winning streak has given Oiler fans a little bounce in their step, and with the hated Canucks in town tonight, the PPV numbers will probably be okay.

Going out with a bang

The Canucks have a lot of guys who like to stir the pot, and the Oilers have shown a bit more grit in their game lately, so we might get to see some emotion tonight.

The Canucks are five points behind Chicago and Phoenix for first place in the conference and five points up on the Avalanche in the Northwest division, so this game isn’t life and death for them, but a win could move them within three of second in the conference with Phoenix playing in Chicago tonight.

The Oilers are firmly in 30th place, but they want to keep rolling so hopefully we see some animosity tonight.

True competitors

Like I said I wasn’t at the morning skate today, instead I was judging some grade nine boys and girls on their essay presentations.

I really enjoy going to the schools and listening to the speeches. It’s a bit weird being called Mr. Gregor so much though. Yet it's cool to know that junior high kids are into sports radio. I grew up listening to John Short and it is nice to know that kids aren’t too cool for "terrestrial radio."

Today’s topics ranged from music, best slasher villain, superstitions, laughter, nightmares vs. night terrors (I had no clue there was a difference), bullying, women’s rights, human genetic engineering and divorce.

Kids in junior high have way more to worry about than I did when I was in school. We didn’t have the Internet, Facebook, texting and there wasn’t a lot of talk about teen pregnancy or drugs.

Did any of you know about the “Honesty Box” feature on Facebook? Easily the stupidest function they could put on there. It allows kids to post anonymous comments on other kid’s profiles about their classmates. Imagine being in junior high and clicking on your profile page and reading insults or jokes said in your direction. (Most adults can’t handle hearing that never mind being an adolescent) The inventors of Facebook should re-think some of their features.

I was really impressed with Katie, Josh, Andrea, Arman, Megan, Tyler, Ashley, Sarah and Ryker. They touched on some mature subjects and were all solid with their delivery. I’d make the worst teacher, because I had a hard time picking the top-three.

I saw great courage and poise from all of them and it was a nice break from the usual sports routine that I do. Thanks for having me back for the second year and I look forward to next year. A sports related topic might win you first place – just sayin'.

>> Read what the enemy has to say about tonight's game.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 David S
March 23 2010, 06:07PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I cant wait to see if Horc gets the call. I will be watching in horrified amazement.

Uh...no. Its the world championships, not the Paralympics.

#2 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 02:38PM

Longstanding Boycott of PPV hockey continues tonight. Enjoy the game on the internets or support your local sports pub.

#3 BUCK75
March 23 2010, 02:42PM

~With that railing coming out of your mouth Gregor, imagine what people would say in your honest box~

No talk of teen pregnancy when you were a kid? I thought Spike & Shane of Degrassi Jr High opened that door up for all of us.

#4 The Towel Boy
March 23 2010, 02:53PM
BUCK75 wrote:

Yeah, it opened the door for US...but Gregor's like 89 years older. They didn't even have TV when he was in school.

#5 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 03:54PM

@Jamie B.

No way the PA allows someone to play an NHL game and not get paid.

#6 David S
March 23 2010, 04:23PM
Bill up North wrote:

I just read the enemy write up. It's been up since before 10am and not one single comment. Where exactly IS this so-called army?

Goilers!!!!!!!!!!

Golf, tennis, cycling, reading in the park, sitting on a patio, running in the park, cutting grass, washing the car in the driveway, soccer, baseball, motorcycling, patio BBQ's...

*Looks up Vancouver job websites for the billionth time*

#7 OilFan
March 23 2010, 04:38PM

BUBBA ARMY!!!!

#8 Darryl
March 23 2010, 02:29PM

Gregor,

My son goes to school there. He is in grade seven and he was pumped last night that you were coming to his school. Nice to see you helping out in the community. Great show and I enjoy your work on here.

#9 Scott in Grande Prairie
March 23 2010, 02:36PM

At some point, it should be mentioned that the Oilers probably could have made a few more PPV bucks if they'd called up Jordan Eberle for tonight's game.

Yes, I know. It would be foolish to call up a player just to make a few extra PPV bucks ... but I'm just sayin' ...

#10 The Towel Boy
March 23 2010, 02:50PM

God, looking at the W/L for both teams is pretty sad as an Oiler fan. Almost mirrored.

4-2 Oilers on the the back of a stellar backup performance by Nathan Deobald.

#11 BUCK75
March 23 2010, 02:57PM

@The Towel Boy

I guess, when you're huddled around the listening to "gunsmoke" & Lucky Strike radio ads, teen pregnancy might not have come up.

#12 Mouse
March 23 2010, 02:59PM

I think we all wanted to open Caitlin's door...

Or be Joey Jeremiah and deal multivitamins as drugs out of the bottom of his skateboard. Just stay away from Dwayne and his bleeding nose!

#13 Dyckster
March 23 2010, 03:00PM

My daughter is a grade 9 student at Cuts. She did her speech on Haley Wickenheiser, it didn't make the grade for the Gregor Grande Finale though. I guess she should stick to playing hockey, not writing about it.

#14 Bill up North
March 23 2010, 03:04PM

Goilers!!!!!!!!!!

#15 yegCopywriter
March 23 2010, 03:06PM

From Tencer's twitter: "Not sure if the Oilers are going to send out a release, but Nathan Deobald's jersey is ready for him at Rexall Place. He's on his way."

#16 Nick Dynasty
March 23 2010, 03:07PM

Good for the UC kid but I was hoping for Joaquin Gage! I heard he's a cable guy in Edmonton now. Not sure if that's true tho...

#17 Tracie
March 23 2010, 03:14PM

I was kinda hoping Shannon Szabados would get the call! at least she's from Edmonton!

#18 rubbertrout
March 23 2010, 03:16PM

The worst hangovers are the ones that last 2 days. Just sayin'.

#19 BUCK75
March 23 2010, 03:37PM

@rubbertrout

I had one of those after the pint episode.

#20 Muji 狗
March 23 2010, 03:46PM

"Did any of you know about the “Honesty Box” feature on Facebook? Easily the stupidest function they could put on there."

In Facebook's defense, the Honesty Box is actually a 3rd-party Facebook app (i.e. Facebook.com has nothing to do with it).

#21 Tracie
March 23 2010, 03:49PM

Hey, Just out of curiosity, how much does someone like Tory Jung or this Nathan dude get paid for sitting on the bench? Someone said it was an NHL salary for one game??? that's just craziness! Can anyone shed some light?

#23 Jamie B.
March 23 2010, 03:51PM
Tracie wrote:

I'm 99% certain they don't get paid anything.

#24 Tracie
March 23 2010, 03:59PM
Jamie B. wrote:

I'm 99% certain they don't get paid anything.

Why would they do it then? This guy would get up and rush all the way to Edmonton to sit on the bench of the last place team? All that so he has a story to tell his grand kids and brag about in the bar? That doesn't make sense.

And Arch has a good point...it wouldn't be good with the labour laws...

#25 Banger
March 23 2010, 04:00PM

Dont they just get signed to a one game tryout or something along those lines?

#26 Wanye
March 23 2010, 04:00PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

No way the PA allows someone to play an NHL game and not get paid.

They will make a pro rated league minimum for each game and practice day that they remain with the team.

#27 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
March 23 2010, 04:00PM

As much as I hate to say it...

Game Day Prediction Van 6 - Edm 1

DD's irritable bowels will transfer to the Oilers on ice play.

Crappy evening for Gilbert, Horcoff, Penner and of course DD.

The good news is Ryan Whitney will score the lone goal for the copper and blue and Quinn will undoubtedly have a couple of good quotes during the post game interview.

Side Note: Props to you Gregor for giving a little back to the community. Kids love it when a local celeb shows up and it almost always leaves some form of positive impact on them.

#28 BlueBlazer
March 23 2010, 04:01PM

Neither here nor there.. just sharing with the Nation for the second time ever.. Tonight will be the third game I have attended this year and I'm putting the perfect record on the line (first two games were Oct.19 vs Canucks and Nov.18 vs Avs, both wins)... And yes, I still get excited for game day!!

#29 Jamie B.
March 23 2010, 04:03PM
Tracie wrote:

And Arch has a good point...it wouldn't be good with the labour laws...

Uh, if the Oilers called me up right now and asked if I wanted to spend a game as the back-up I'm pretty sure I'd drop everything and do it for free. It's not like Nathan whoever is making it to the NHL one day.

I could be wrong, but when the Canucks used that UBC kid a few years ago I thought he signed a one-game ATO and didn't get paid. Was that the old CBA though? Hmm.

#30 Tracie
March 23 2010, 04:04PM
Wanye wrote:

So they get paid pretty well then...dammit! where do you sign up to be an emergency goalie??

#31 Banger
March 23 2010, 04:11PM

Im pretty sure you dont get paid if you are on a one game try out contract.

#32 Dan the Man
March 23 2010, 04:14PM

If a player is signed to a 1 day Amateur Try Out contract they don't get paid, they just receive the NHL per diem of about $100.

#33 Ender
March 23 2010, 04:18PM

BUCK75 wrote:

If Marshall Matt Dillon ever got someone pregnant, they'd have had the sense to keep it quiet and protect the Marshall's good name. :-)

#34 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
March 23 2010, 04:26PM
David S wrote:

*Looks up Vancouver job websites for the billionth time*

*thinks back to the 'most annoying fan' bits back in December*

They're sipping on espresso in their $2000 suits.

#35 Jamie B.
March 23 2010, 04:36PM
David S wrote:

*Looks up Vancouver job websites for the billionth time*

You need to add "in the rain" to each of those activities.

#36 The Goat - Team FIST
March 23 2010, 04:50PM

RED DRAGONS !!!

#37 RossCreekNation
March 23 2010, 05:11PM

So with Craig M. named as the coach for Canada at the World Championships, you gotta think guys like Gagner & Horcoff are shoe-ins. And Penner's a shoe-in regardless of the 'Tavish. Do Brule or Eberle have a shot?

#38 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 05:14PM

@RossCreekNation

#39 OilFan
March 23 2010, 05:49PM

@ Rosscreek

Why Horcoff? I know you Flame fans like him as much as you love Staios.LOL

#40 srbuhr
March 23 2010, 06:22PM

Anyone have an internet feed for game tonight

#41 Bill up North
March 23 2010, 06:32PM
srbuhr wrote:

Anyone have an internet feed for game tonight

atdhe.net usually has it.

#42 srbuhr
March 23 2010, 06:50PM

@Bill up North

thanks

#43 srbuhr
March 23 2010, 06:50PM

@Bill up North

double post

#44 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 23 2010, 06:55PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

No way the PA allows someone to play an NHL game and not get paid.

you poor guy, wrong again...

#45 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 07:11PM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

you poor guy, wrong again...

Yeah, I am genuinely surprised that someone can play a game in the NHL and get a $100 per-diem. An ATO, in my mind, covers practicing with the team not playing games. It doesnt happen very often, so I understand why the PA wouldnt die on a hill for it. Still. Does that seem right to anyone?

Not me.

#46 Beeoup
March 23 2010, 07:12PM

pssst... http://www.justin.tv/theblanetwork2#r=NIExrMc~

#47 Kizz
March 23 2010, 07:20PM

what is this 2-0 we want to get the first pick the oil need to lose

#48 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 07:21PM

2-0 Oilers. Nilsson goal. I hope other teams are watching this version of Nilsson and remember around draft day.

#49 Wanyes bastard child
March 23 2010, 07:25PM

I'd like to see POS moved before Nillson.

#50 Archaeologuy
March 23 2010, 07:26PM

@Wanyes bastard child

that's the order I'd prefer also.