Comparing Taylor Chorney To Denis Grebeshkov

Jonathan Willis
March 03 2010 08:48AM

Edmonton Oilers v New York Islanders

As usual, when a veteran player is sent out of town for futures, it's traditional for the local media to jump on board and tell us all which player will replace him. I still recall listening to some suit in the Oilers ‘brain-trust’ explaining that the reason Janne Niinimaa was expendable was because Alexei Semenov’s progress was so outstanding. Sweet, sweet memories.

In any case, while I’ve said my piece about the Grebeshkov trade, I figured it might be worthwhile to see how he matches up against his de facto replacement.

That replacement, according to Joanne Ireland, is none other than Taylor Chorney: 

Taylor Chorney will be groomed to move into Grebeshkov's spot. He was recalled from the Springfield Falcons farm team, as was Theo Peckham, on Monday.

Scott Reynolds already alluded to it, but the fact is that Grebeshkov’s results as a professional hockey player were quite a bit better than Taylor Chorney’s at the same age. I’ve posted those AHL results below, and taken the liberty of pro-rating them over 82 games for the sake of comparison. 

Age 21

  GP G A PTS +/-
Denis Grebeshkov 82 5 48 53 +23
Taylor Chorney 82 6 19 25 -35

Age 22

  GP G A PTS +/-
Denis Grebeshkov 82 3 43 46 +12
Taylor Chorney 82 10 23 33 -51

In fairness to Chorney, Springfield has been a disaster in his time there. He deserves that caveat, and it matters, since Grebeshkov’s teams in Manchester were decent and quite good (respectively).

That said, this isn’t a fair comparison. All that expecting Chorney to turn into Grebeshkov does is place the burden of incredibly difficult expectation upon him, and it’s highly likely that he’ll quickly be regarded as a bust by those who expect that output. He’s a decent prospect but there’s no reason to believe he’ll be as good a player, especially in the immediate future.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 VMR
March 03 2010, 09:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The problem with comparing Grebeshkov and Chorney is we dont need Chorney to replace Grebeshkov. We already have to many offensive puck movers, we need more defensive solid in their own end defence first guys on our blueline. We may not have that in the organization yet but that's what that 2nd round pick was for, more chances at finding one.

Avatar
#2 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 03 2010, 09:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

God I hope "Chorney to replace Grebs" is just media fodder.

Dear Tambellini please sign or trade FOR A 25 - 29 year old physical Dman.

Avatar
#3 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 09:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

~But who could understand any of that statistical mumbo-jumbo? Those stats could be interpreted any number of ways.~

*Starts drinking at 9:23am*

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
VMR wrote:

The problem with comparing Grebeshkov and Chorney is we dont need Chorney to replace Grebeshkov. We already have to many offensive puck movers, we need more defensive solid in their own end defence first guys on our blueline. We may not have that in the organization yet but that's what that 2nd round pick was for, more chances at finding one.

Gilbert and Lubo are the puck movers and now there is talk of Gilbert being moved, so we are going to be left with one good puck mover.

Wait until we end up with the defense from a few years back where we couldn't get the puck out of our end.

Avatar
#5 David S
March 03 2010, 09:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I read Scott's piece yesterday. It was in fact either downright hilarious or just plain tragic. Can't decide which yet.

Bottom line is that prospects are developed in the AHL. If you want to win that is.

Oh. Riiiiight.

Avatar
#6 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 09:37AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

As per Bryn Griffiths...

Word around Regina is that Jordan Eberle plays his final game in Regina on the 14th and then heads to EDM the following day. Hmmm. We'll see

Avatar
#7 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 09:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@RossCreekNation

9 games in the bigs then a summer of conditioning and strength training.

Who does he play with?

Avatar
#8 David S
March 03 2010, 09:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

9 games in the bigs then a summer of conditioning and strength training.

Who does he play with?

Anything past the first line and they might as well send him to Springfield. Players are just as good and the sting of your first NHL defeat is postponed until next year.

Avatar
#9 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 09:43AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@David S

I tend to agree

Avatar
#10 Bucknuck
March 03 2010, 09:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

Anything past the first line and they might as well send him to Springfield. Players are just as good and the sting of your first NHL defeat is postponed until next year.

Springfield is just as brutal as Edmonton. At least here he would get better competition so he knows what to expect next year.

I say put him in wherever and then see what he does with a summer of conditioning.

Avatar
#11 Lofty
March 03 2010, 10:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

As per Bryn Griffiths...

Word around Regina is that Jordan Eberle plays his final game in Regina on the 14th and then heads to EDM the following day. Hmmm. We'll see

At least he would be a reason to watch the last 9 games

Avatar
#12 Harlie
March 03 2010, 10:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

these damn trade deadline days have become overrated and lame. NOTHING HAPPENING!!!

Avatar
#13 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 10:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The Oil have claimed Ryan Jones off waivers as per McKenzie

Avatar
#14 Tracie
March 03 2010, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I would definitely be excited to see Jordan Eberle play the last 9 games with us! At least we'll hopefully be able to see a glimpse of how promising the future might look for us next year! Watching Jordan Eberle has GOT to be more exciting then watching our current roster, that's for sure!

Avatar
#15 Tracie
March 03 2010, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Harlie wrote:

these damn trade deadline days have become overrated and lame. NOTHING HAPPENING!!!

I tend to agree...Hopefully it starts picking up. I'm listening to TSN at work and I'm starting to think that listening to the stupid ally commercials aren't worth the trouble!

Avatar
#16 RossCreekNation
March 03 2010, 10:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

RUMOR?: Dubinsky for Gilbert and Moreau??

Avatar
#17 Harlie
March 03 2010, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Tracie

yeah I'm checking the net constantly and I'm getting emailed updates from the Oilers and TSN and wherever else and there is nothing worth getting excited about. Brutal! I want a mega block buster trade!!

Avatar
#18 Tracie
March 03 2010, 10:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

RUMOR?: Dubinsky for Gilbert and Moreau??

Where do you get your rumours from? I can't find any info on this! ~Not even on Hockeybuzz~

I think this would be a great trade! I wouldn't mind it at all, what do you think?

Avatar
#19 Lofty
March 03 2010, 10:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

The Oil have claimed Ryan Jones off waivers as per McKenzie

~Its great that Tambo's adding players~

I thought the Oilers were supposed to be selling? I sure hope this is a plug to fill the space of Moreau,Nilson, etc.

Avatar
#20 Tracie
March 03 2010, 10:16AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Harlie

You might be disappointed...There isn't alot out there...I would just be satisfied with an OILER trade! jeez man, give us something to talk about!

Avatar
#21 Harlie
March 03 2010, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Tracie

yep, I hear ya. Give us something!

P.S - anyone else think that as part of what's happening with Khabi that he may have to do a stint in Rehab?

Avatar
#22 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 10:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Harlie wrote:

these damn trade deadline days have become overrated and lame. NOTHING HAPPENING!!!

It's like this every year. It's all about the last hour and a half.

Avatar
#23 Jon K
March 03 2010, 10:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It's not really a fair comparison as one of Grebeshkov's seasons came during the lockout and subsequently he had the benefit of playing with bona fide NHLers (Cammalleri) playing down in the AHL. Both years the Manchester teams were offensive powerhouses and Grebeshkov was a staple on the PP and played with top offensive linemates.

That being said, Chorney isn't half the prospect Grebeshkov was and probably won't be half the player either, I agree there. Chorney's been an Oiler fan favorite for consistently being overrated since he was drafted.

Avatar
#24 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 10:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jon K

Doesnt your argument also mean that Grebs played AGAINST NHL caliber players too?

Avatar
#25 Petr's Jofa
March 03 2010, 10:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

It's like this every year. It's all about the last hour and a half.

Don't forget about the half hour after the deadline when the 11th hour deals are announced.

Avatar
#26 Harlie
March 03 2010, 10:25AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

yeah I know and that sucks! I want a steady stream of trades like a few years back.

Avatar
#27 Crash
March 03 2010, 10:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
David S wrote:

I read Scott's piece yesterday. It was in fact either downright hilarious or just plain tragic. Can't decide which yet.

Bottom line is that prospects are developed in the AHL. If you want to win that is.

Oh. Riiiiight.

The only prospects that are developed in the AHL are the one's that aren't good enough to crack the big team.

There's a LONG list of players that weren't developed in the AHL including on winning teams.

Bottom line...you don't have to develop all of your prospects in the AHL to become a winning team.

Avatar
#28 Crash
March 03 2010, 10:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
RossCreekNation wrote:

The Oil have claimed Ryan Jones off waivers as per McKenzie

Could this be because the Oilers will probably be moving another forward via trade today?

Moreau? Pisani? Someone else?

Avatar
#29 David S
March 03 2010, 10:41AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

The only prospects that are developed in the AHL are the one's that aren't good enough to crack the big team.

There's a LONG list of players that weren't developed in the AHL including on winning teams.

Bottom line...you don't have to develop all of your prospects in the AHL to become a winning team.

Which would be a fine theory if the majority of your team wasn't already prospects. How many guys in Oilers silks right now would crack Detroit or Chicago or Pittsburgh? Or Phoenix for that matter.

Avatar
#30 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 03 2010, 10:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

The only prospects that are developed in the AHL are the one's that aren't good enough to crack the big team.

There's a LONG list of players that weren't developed in the AHL including on winning teams.

Bottom line...you don't have to develop all of your prospects in the AHL to become a winning team.

Here we go again.

And the majority of those guys were top 10 picks. ie blue chippers.

Avatar
#31 Tracie
March 03 2010, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Ok, well tradecenter is definitely picking up now! Still no Oilers deals though! What the hell?!?

Phoenix looks to be buying...that's a little bit cool to see...seems like they are pretty busy today!

Tambo? TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMBBBBBBOOOOOOOO!!!! Where are you???

Avatar
#32 Crash
March 03 2010, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Here we go again.

And the majority of those guys were top 10 picks. ie blue chippers.

Here we go again was started at post #5

Yes many were top 10 picks...but isn't Gagner a top 10? How about MPS, is he a top 10? Yes to both of those. And mose certainly Hall/Seguin will be a top 10.

But Hemsky wasn't a top 10?

The impression being given here is the Oilers don't develop there young guys in the AHL but other than Gagner (who was a top 10), Cogliano and Hemsky which Oilers didn't develop in the minors?

Also a side note...of the top 9 rookie scorers this year only one of them has played in the AHL and 3 of them were not top 10 picks.

Tyler Myers/Jamie Benn/Michael Del Zotto

And only two of the top 10 scoring rookies in the NHL developed in the AHL. Coincidentally one of those two was developed in the Oilers AHL system. So I'm not understanding those that are hinting that the Oilers don't develop young talent in the AHL.

Avatar
#33 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 03 2010, 11:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Here we go again was started at post #5

Yes many were top 10 picks...but isn't Gagner a top 10? How about MPS, is he a top 10? Yes to both of those. And mose certainly Hall/Seguin will be a top 10.

But Hemsky wasn't a top 10?

The impression being given here is the Oilers don't develop there young guys in the AHL but other than Gagner (who was a top 10), Cogliano and Hemsky which Oilers didn't develop in the minors?

Also a side note...of the top 9 rookie scorers this year only one of them has played in the AHL and 3 of them were not top 10 picks.

Tyler Myers/Jamie Benn/Michael Del Zotto

And only two of the top 10 scoring rookies in the NHL developed in the AHL. Coincidentally one of those two was developed in the Oilers AHL system. So I'm not understanding those that are hinting that the Oilers don't develop young talent in the AHL.

It's about depth. You shouldn't HAVE to bring prospects up to the NHL because you have proven NHL player. It's a bad thing when you have to have multiple AHL'ers on your roster because you don't have enough NHL'ers.

No one is debating that 1-2 rookies per year brought onto the team is a bad thing, as long as you've got the proper roster and balance already in place. However the Oilers don't, when you've already got 1/2 a team of AHL'ers or NHL'ers in the early stages of their career, it's usually a bad idea to add more.

Avatar
#34 Archaeologuy
March 03 2010, 11:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

TSN consistently thinks Horcoff makes 6.5 on the Cap. Who is giving them their info?

Avatar
#35 Crash
March 03 2010, 11:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

It's about depth. You shouldn't HAVE to bring prospects up to the NHL because you have proven NHL player. It's a bad thing when you have to have multiple AHL'ers on your roster because you don't have enough NHL'ers.

No one is debating that 1-2 rookies per year brought onto the team is a bad thing, as long as you've got the proper roster and balance already in place. However the Oilers don't, when you've already got 1/2 a team of AHL'ers or NHL'ers in the early stages of their career, it's usually a bad idea to add more.

Injuries have played a huge factor in the roster being what it is right now.

So when do you stop saying the NHLers are in the early stages of their careers? Both Gagner and Cogliano are in year 4 next year. Brule is going into year 5 as a pro, Gibert is too and he is going to be 27 yrs old. Chorney is soon to be 23 yrs old and has had AHL development. Theo Peckham also has a couple of year of AHL development under his belt.

Other than them the roster is mostly vets many of which lots of the people here want gone. So who do we replace these players with. If we lose Pisani, Moreau, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Souray, etc.? If we just sign a whole bunch more nothing vets the same kind of players that we get rid of what reaction will there be here?

If 1 or 2 rookies per year can be brought into the team why couldn't those rookies be Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall? And if we get rid of all the players everyone wants rid of then there's probably room for MPS too. This is of course pending that the rookies are good enough.

I'm a paying customer and I'd much rather pay to watch a ready MPS, Eberle and Hall than watch a bunch of Dominic Moores.

Avatar
#36 Shawn Cronin
March 03 2010, 11:36AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What??? A Willis article that doesn't have at least one love in session for MA Pouliot?

Who hijacked his login......WHO!!!????

Comments are closed for this article.