Oilers Vs. Wild Highlights

Jonathan Willis
March 06 2010 12:12AM

Edmonton Oilers: 2 (SO)

Minnesota Wild: 1

The gutted remains of the Edmonton Oilers roster apparently forgot they were supposed to lose, as they managed to get away with a shootout victory over the Minnesota Wild.  Jeff Deslauriers made 28 saves, Ryan Whitney led the Oilers with 26:20 of ice-time, and Aaron Johnson played 21:20 and finished plus-1 on the night.  Mike Comrie scored both the regulation goal and the shootout winner and continues to show why healthy-scratching him makes no sense.

On the negative side, new addition Ryan Jones took a knee-on-knee hit from Derek Boogaard and played less than five minutes, showing that a) he'll fit right in with this lineup and b) Boogaard's as hateable as ever.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
#51 Archaeologuy
March 06 2010, 10:26PM

@Crash

Time out. I'm only basing the comments about Seguin on the constant reminder from guys like MacKenzie that Hall is not the consensus #1. Last time I looked Seguin had more points and significantly more goals on a worse team.

My response to Jaime was made because of the ludicrous claim that Hall was a "Natural centre", which is meaningless in my eyes since he doesnt actually play that position.

I'm no scout. If Stu MacGregor thinks Hall is the best player, then Hall is the guy. There hasnt been anyone yet though (whose hockey knowledge I respect) who has stated that Hall is hands down the #1.

#52 RossCreekNation
March 06 2010, 11:04PM

@Archaeologuy

Well stated.

#53 Crash
March 07 2010, 12:05AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

You aren't going to find someone at this point to say that Hall is the hands down #1...it's clear that many are saying that they are clearly both 1 and 2 and I would be happy with Seguin if Hall is not available.

Your mention that the claim of Hall being a natural center is meaningless is no less meaningless than saying we should draft Seguin because he is one. Who cares what position they play? That's what's really meaningless.

Also the comment about guys having to be centers from age 6 right up to the NHL was something else, same with Windsor's coach doesn't even think Hall can play center. There are numerous players who change forward positions after being drafted and I'm not sure there are many kids that actually only play one position their entire lives.

As far as you pointing out that Seguin has more points this year and more goals only supports my statement that everyone always gets caught up in what is happening in one given year. Seguin only has 5 more points than Hall this season and has played 5 more games...If you want to add in the points that Hall accumulated during the world jr tourney then Hall actually has more points than Seguin. This arguement of he has more and it's on a weaker team is actually laughable...

Could this mean that he gets more ice time or more pp time than Hall because Windsor has more weapons they can use? Could be, but who knows. Also Plymouth isn't that bad of a team. Let me ask you, who would you rather have on the Oilers, Brayden Schenn or Jordan Weal? Just asking because Weal has more points than Schenn and Weal plays on a much weaker team.

Which of Hall/Seguin has accomplished more in junior? How many memorial cup mvp awards does Seguin have? How many world jr tournaments has Seguin played in?

In any event to each their own....I tend to sway towards guys that show up consistently and Hall has shown in his jr days that he does just that, not to mention his dynamic skills. What if Seguin turns out to be a one year wonder and we waste a pick on it after Hall has shown consistency? I know there's no guarantee with any prospect but like I said I tend to sway to those that have shown they perform consistently over time and am a little more leary of guys that have had one good season.

I hope Stu does too.

#54 BigE91
March 07 2010, 08:50AM

@Crash

I think we all know what this means.....~Starting at center tonight for the Edmonton Oilers....Devan Dubnyk!

#55 Archaeologuy
March 07 2010, 10:29AM

@Crash

Let's try this again. I AGREE that the Oilers should take the BPA. Comments regarding Hall at centre STARTED because Jaime thinks Hall can play C, not me.

I am fully aware that players change positions quite a bit, but most of the guys I can think of started as centres and moved to the wings. If you think that a LW can play C with ease in the NHL at the age of 18 then youre dreaming.

I can respect your points regarding Hall vs Seguin. I just hope that Stu isnt afraid of taking a guy he thinks will be better just because the other kid had a better year as a 16 yr old.

#56 Crash
March 07 2010, 03:10PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

#21 Archaeologuy March 06 2010, 10:47AM @HOPE

If I were picking, it would be Seguin. Hopefully if the Oil somehow lose out to Boston (toronto) in the lottery, they value a scoring winger over a scoring centre.

Your statement above from post 21 doesn't say you want the Oilers to take the BPA. You made it sound like you wanted Seguin because he is a natural center. To each their own.

I think Jaime was just trying to justify still picking Hall even though he isn't playing centre in Windsor.

I was just trying to point out that your statements towards Jaime were somewhat harsh and inaccurate and that what you were saying wasn't typical of the kind of knowledge you usually display.

Oh and Hall has actually had 3 consecutive stellar junior seasons.

#57 Archaeologuy
March 07 2010, 03:30PM

@Crash

And here we go again.

1) I think Seguin might be the BPA. I'm hoping that if this is the case AND Boston ends up picking 1st that Boston WONT choose the BPA and instead go for Hall.

2) Thanks for thinking that I usually display some kind of knowledge, I may have come off as harsh, but I dont believe that a transition to C for Hall is either necessary or well advised.

3) I know that Hall has had 3 stellar seasons. I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy. No matter who the Oil choose I'm sure that they will get an amazing player.