GDB LXV: On streaks and streaking

Jason Gregor
March 07 2010 11:55AM

Did you know the Oilers have only won consecutive home games twice this year? They won four straight in October on the 10th, 16th, 19th and 22nd, and they didn’t win two straight at home again until Feb 1st and 3rd over the Hurricanes and Flyers.

In between those two heroic streaks, they lost nine straight from November 18th to Dec 28th, before beating the Leafs on Dec 30th. Then they lost their next eight home games. They won exactly ONE home game from November 18th to Feb 1st; no wonder there was close to 3,000 empty seats on Friday night.

That really sums up how horrendous this season has been at Rexall Place. No wonder it has been quieter than a morgue lately. I sat in the crowd for parts of the game on Friday and I was able to hear too many uncomfortable discussions from the people sitting around me.

When the games are exciting people pay attention, but now it seems with little cheering going on you are subjected to hearing things you don’t want to know about. Listening to two women, who looked like a mother and daughter, discuss menstrual cycles and how to lessen cramping was unbearable, especially considering I gave up booze for Lent. Or listening to some dude try to impress his date with his hockey knowledge, which was about as in-depth as my knowledge into how to control The Red Army.

Isn’t there a handbook on stadium etiquette somewhere?

It’s annoying listening to the drunk guy swear every time he opens his mouth, but it’s just as uncomfortable for your fellow fan when they have to overhear you talk about your personal problems. It is hard enough for Oiler fans to get the energy to go to the rink, so please use your inside voice when you talk to the person beside you. And for the love of only-26-days-left-in-Lent please refrain from conversations on vagisil, menstruation, your latest conquest or why you think Taylor Chorney will be better than Lubomir Visnovsky.

HOME WINNING STREAK?

Can the Oilers grab that elusive third home winning streak, against the 38-22-3 New Jersey Devils tonight? The odds aren’t in their favour. The Oil is 2-8-5 in their last 15 home games v. the Devils and they’ve been outscored 36-51.

The Oilers haven’t beaten the Devils at home since, ironically enough, Halloween 1995 when they won 2-1. Granted the Devils have only been here six times since then, going 4-0-2, but the Oilers have had two ownership changes since they last beat the Devils in Edmonton.

Tonight’s forward group hasn’t had much success against the Devils.

Gilbert Brule, Andrew Cogliano, Sam Gagner, Robert Nilsson, Fernando Pisani, Marc Pouliot, Ryan Jones, Zack Stortini and Shawn Horcoff have never scored a goal v. New Jersey. In fact, the Devils is the only team that Horcoff has never scored on, or registered a point, in eight career games.

Dustin Penner, Patrick O’Sullivan and Ryan Potulny have one goal, while Mike Comrie has 5 in 17 career games, including three goals in four games as an Oiler. The Oilers could use Ethan Moreau tonight, but it looks like he’ll sit out his third straight game with a sore neck. Moreau has five goals and ten points in 12 games v. the Devils, good for 0.83 points per game. His career PPG is 0.32 so clearly he likes playing the Devils.

Moreau didn’t skate yesterday, and the Oilers didn’t have a morning skate today, so it’s a bit of a guess if he’ll play, but he hasn’t skated in four days so it would a surprise if he played. Look for Fernando Pisani to draw back in.

DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?

What does Gilbert Brule have to do to get more ice time? On Friday he had just over 12 minutes of icetime. Only Stortini and an injured Jones played less. Brule had three shots, tied for most on the team and two hits, also most amongst forwards in those 12 minutes, yet Pat Quinn doesn’t play him more. What gives?

Between bouts with the flu bug and other ailments, Brule has put up 13 goals, 12 of them EV, second behind Penner’s team-leading 17, so I wonder why Brule doesn’t get more opportunities. The kid has one of the best shots on the team, and might be the best pure shooter they have right now.

Quinn has said he doesn’t like the rollercoaster aspect of Brule’s game. He is either really high or low, and that is fair, but how is that any different from Patrick O’Sullivan, Robert Nilsson or almost every other forward on the team.

Brule’s confidence, like most young players, is fragile and Quinn will need to watch how he uses him, but the organization should play him more in the final 18 games, especially on the powerplay.

Quinn should use the final 18 games as an extended training camp. Decide what role he’d like to use Brule and other forwards in next year, and play them there down the stretch. If they see Brule as a top-six forward next year, then play him with guys who they project to be there. Why not play Brule with Penner the rest of the way and see if they can produce?

Tonight would be a good time to change up the powerplay personnel, and give Brule a shot on the man advantage.

EBERLE

Jordan Eberle will play in Springfield when this season wraps up March 13th with the Regina Pats, but don’t be surprised to see him make an appearance with the Oilers. The Oilers don’t want fans to look at Eberle as the saviour and have him come up here and score zero points in nine games. Look for him to play some games in the AHL, and then get called up to Edmonton.

The Oilers only have two home games in April, the 5th v. the Wild and then on the 7th v. Colorado, so I’d be shocked if Eberle doesn’t make an appearance at that point. The worst thing the Oilers could do is recall him and have him play on the road. They owe it to the home faithful to see Eberle live in person, rather than just on the road.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Archaeologuy
March 07 2010, 08:16PM
DoubleJ wrote:

We need to get Moreau back in the line up. Quickly.

Never thought I'd agree with that statement ever.

#52 jeanshorts
March 07 2010, 08:30PM

What the hell was that?

#53 jake
March 07 2010, 08:36PM
DoubleJ wrote:

I'm cool with two wins, but that's it.

I feel yucky, wanting NJ to score 3 in the last 10 min. Can this season just end already with Oil in 30th. Man I find this tough, hoping for losses but not "cheering" for a losses.

#54 Eric Johnson
March 07 2010, 08:44PM

It all makes sense. It was Visnovsky's fault all along, Him Grebby's and Staios. With out those guys we would have gone 82-0.

Well that was a quick fix. Well done Tambo

#55 Dan the Man
March 07 2010, 08:50PM

Speaking of Staios, there is a photo of him in a Flames jersey on the Sportsnet website...it just does not look right.

#56 Jamie B.
March 07 2010, 09:01PM

And speaking of Lubo, he scored an awesome goal against the Habs tonight, but Montreal came back to win in the shootout.

#57 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 07 2010, 09:02PM

So is Pouliot going to end up being a player or what? It'd be great if he did, but I'd hate to waste another year with him if he's going to revert back to 08/09 MAP.

#58 jeanshorts
March 07 2010, 09:04PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Same question goes for Nilsson. Although Pouliot has the benefit of missing all that time due to injuries, so I'm sure Tambo will still have to spend all of next season "evaluating" him. I think we should just cut the chord on Nilsson and move on.

#59 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 07 2010, 09:13PM
jeanshorts wrote:

Ya I'm ready to cut bait with Nilsson. He's had flashes this year but even still for a guy that brings nothing but offense, his production is sub par.

I've always felt MAP could be a quality 4th liner, but he's starting to show flashes that the guy could be a player.

#60 Red Deerian Convert
March 07 2010, 09:15PM

Just a side note.

Hey Gregor, love the enthusiasm but tone down the exclamation marks on your twitter page. Haha great stuff!

#61 RossCreekNation
March 07 2010, 09:21PM
Dan the Man wrote:

#62 RossCreekNation
March 07 2010, 09:24PM

Was at the game, row 7. Devils shite the bed, Oil played well. Tweeted Gregor to let him know I'd buy him a beer, but he never responded. Then I remembered he said he gave up the boozes for lent... so you're off the hook JG ;-)

#63 Chris.
March 07 2010, 10:11PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

The Oilers did not target Nilsson at any point leading into his draft year.

The reason the Oilers moved down and took Pouliot intead of Parise is they didn't want another small forward as they already had Comrie, Marchant, York, Swanson etc.

Thanks Robin.

#64 Mike Modano's Dog
March 07 2010, 10:52PM

First off I agree with whoever said we need Ethan Moreau back in the lineup ASAP.

On that note, I am concerned about the possibility that the Oilers may look at needs rather than the best player available if we have the #1 pick.

I understand Seguin is right-handed, a center-man, etc., BUT:

as R.B. pointed out we must remember that was our logic in NOT picking Parise and we ended up going with Pouliot.

Pouliot was a little taller, the big center we craved, and also a little younger. His age led us to believe he may have more improving to do even if he wasn't as good a player at the time. Starting to sound familiar? Eerily so to me!

I'm not suggesting this situation or these players are the same at all...but the reasoning will always be. You never draft according to the fit with your current team. Too much can change and will change with your team waiting for everyone to mature. You draft the best player - every time. Especially an organization that has many holes in the organization - we can really use one of everything, goalie, center, stud defenceman, scoring winger!

Now I'm not saying that Tyler Seguin isn't the best player to pick even though I'm sure that is what this sounds like. He may be. All I am saying is that he can only be the right pick if he is the best player available, period... and he might be. From all I hear about him there is a lot to like. But will he be a superstar as we have heard about Taylor Hall for years? That is the question.

#65 Crash
March 07 2010, 11:02PM
jake wrote:

The inept Leafs are what scare the hell out of me...I have this sinking feeling we will pass the Leafs, finish 29th, then have a team just ahead of us win the lottery, dropping us down to the 3rd pick and making it so we don't get either Hall or Seguin.

As far as Hall and Seguin go...give me Hall

#66 Mike Modano's Dog
March 07 2010, 11:07PM

I am so looking forward to those top two facing one another in the playoffs; man I can't wait to watch those two go at it to pretty much decide the top pick overall.

Hall or Seguin?? And here I didn't think it was going to be a difficult decision to make this year!

#67 Nate Full of Hate
March 08 2010, 06:55AM

@Mike Modano's Dog

Seguin/Hall play each other again this week.

copy & paste....enjoy the Seguin Highlights.

#68 Nate Full of Hate
March 08 2010, 06:55AM

@Mike Modano's Dog

Seguin/Hall play each other again this week.

copy & paste....enjoy the Seguin Highlights.

#69 Nate Full of Hate
March 08 2010, 06:56AM
Mike Modano's Dog wrote:

Seguin/Hall play each other again this week.

copy & paste....enjoy the Seguin Highlights.

#70 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 08 2010, 08:30AM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

finally!!!!!! 2 years later, but finally!!!

#71 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 08 2010, 08:33AM
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

finally!!!!!! 2 years later, but finally!!!

Ha-ha, I've been ready to send him packing for 18 months ;0

#72 Randy
March 08 2010, 11:26AM

@Chris.

And that was sound logic, although it doesn't explain leaving Mike Richards, Ryan Getzlaf, and Corey Perry on the table. And those were the obvious ones, then there was Shea Weber, Patrice Bergeron in the 2nd rd. Yes I know other teams went by them as well, but if you are going to be better than other teams you start by drafting better than other teams.

#73 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
March 08 2010, 12:53PM
Randy wrote:

The 03 draft really was this teams major screw up. That much talent to essentially come out skunked really set this team back.