GDB LXVI: SENS AND OIL

Jason Gregor
March 09 2010 02:21PM

The unending roller coaster of emotion takes another twist tonight, as the Oilers go looking for their third consecutive win against the Ottawa Senators. Every win of late elevates the level of concern amongst fans that the Oilers might finish 29th, lose the lottery and end up drafting 3rd and miss out on Tyler Seguin or Taylor Hall.

It has been a very, very strange season that has gotten Oilers Fans to the point where the last thing anyone wants is a win. It goes against every natural instinct of being a fan, yet here at the Nation the interest level hasn’t wavered. Visitors to the site have actually increased in this season of futility and that just re-enforces how good of a hockey city Edmonton is.

In a season where the Oilers leadership has been questioned, and rightfully so, I find it interesting that the Nation’s supposed leader amongst the fans has become invisible. The 100 different Ogdens still show up on an hourly basis, Archaeologuy, Nate, Pokey Reddick, BS and JS, David S and all the readers who never post, still find a way to drag their beaten-down carcass to their computer screen, yet Wanye has become as rare as a hot-girl at Rexall on a Sunday home game.

WHERE'S WANYE?

Before I continue to call out Wanye, I should mention that I actually phoned him up a few days ago to yell at him in person. I originally thought he had become one of the bandwagon jumpers he gets so mad about and had just stopped caring about the team.

It was an even funnier surprise to find out he is just so dejected and furious at the team that he claims to have a case of writers block. I asked him if he still watches the team play and he replied that he still watches every second of every game, but is just too "emotional" to be able to write anything funny these days. He actually sounded like he needed an intervention of some sort, truth be told.

I'll start by calling BS.

Hey Wanye? What happened to the three BL’s you’d drink every game? What about the grade one caliber artwork? Or how about calling out the other team, or rambling on about how Robert Nilsson will become a productive force?

Wanye: you have abandoned your flock of lambs at a time they needed your kool-aid filled glasses of Oilers juice more than ever.

You’d think that the trading of your goat, Denis Grebeshkov, would have produced an epic article filled with anecdotes that indeed March 1st was the day the Oilers became a winner again. But the only time you appear is with a half-ass post in the comments section.

Grebeshkov even takes a shot in the nards that required surgery and still you said nothing. You must really be suffering. Has this season finally worn you down? If so, suck it up and show up. You ask the Oiler players to produce; shouldn’t the OilersNation expect the same from you?

TONIGHT’S TILT

Back to the action on the ice. Can the Oilers actually win three straight? They might win five considering their next three games are against Northeast opponents. The Oil is 2-2-1 v. the NE, beating the Habs and Leafs at home, losing to the Bruins and Sabres on the road, and they picked up a point in Ottawa with a shootout loss on November 10th. The Oilers are 7-7-1 v. the East, compared to an ugly 14-31-5 record v. the west.

If the Oilers have a good week against Ott, Mont and Tor, don’t fret, after Saturday their remaining 14 games are against the west, so they should remain in the hunt for Seguin or Hall. There will be no lineup changes for the Oilers, because they only have 18 healthy skaters.

Ryan Jones is out for the year and Ethan Moreau is still out with a sore neck. Expect the Oilers to recall a player when they head out east. Chris Minard seems like a likely candidate. Daniel Alfredsson will return tonight after missing a game due to the flu, and Brian Elliot will start in goal for the Sens. The Horcoff/Penner/Pisani line should see a lot of the Michalek/Spezza/Alfredsson combo tonight.

KHABIBULIN APPEARS

Nikolai Khabibulin made an appearance today, but he didn’t talk much about his impending court case in Phoenix for drunk driving. “I have been advised by legal counsel that until everything is resolved I can’t talk about it, sorry,” said Khabibulin.

No surprise that Khabibulin didn’t elaborate on the charge, but he did say his back is feeling better and he hopes to get on the ice before the season ends to work on some technical parts of his game. He won’t get into any game action, but the doctors are happy with his progress and he is confident he’ll be ready for next season.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#101 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 09:51PM

Hey look. I just started a new page. Now everyone will be forced to read this comment!

#102 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 09:53PM

#103 Eddie Shore
March 09 2010, 09:54PM

Ahh this is better. Jdd came back down to earth just in time.

#104 Librarian Mike
March 09 2010, 09:54PM

Jung would have stopped that last one.

edit: I wish I was f@@king kidding...

#105 David S
March 09 2010, 09:55PM
jeanshorts wrote:

You're supposed to say "One hundred and FIRST!".

#106 Aleslav Smidsky
March 09 2010, 09:56PM

Horcoff is an idiot.

I think America will find Usama before he finds what ever little game he had.

If he doesn't have 10 points in the first 15 games next season, he should be sent to Springfield via waivers.

Has anyone seen him in public? Does he have that kind of nerve?

#107 Librarian Mike
March 09 2010, 09:57PM

@Aleslav Smidsky

#108 Travis Dakin
March 09 2010, 09:59PM
David S wrote:

You're supposed to say "One hundred and FIRST!".

Sometimes I have something awesome to say* on busy posts but I notice that there is only 3 or 4 comments until a new page so I hold off until the next one. I'm cool like that**

*I steal everything awesome that I say from someone else.

**I AM cool like that.

#109 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 10:01PM

Draft pick! Draft pick! Draft pick! Draft pick!

#110 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 10:02PM

So........is JDD good? Or.........

SO CONFUSED!

#111 Aleslav Smidsky
March 09 2010, 10:04PM

Peckham is A W E S O M E !

#112 Rob...
March 09 2010, 10:06PM
jeanshorts wrote:

So........is JDD good? Or.........

SO CONFUSED!

JDD is good, but Brownlee used his special mojo to curse the poor goalie for the benefit of ON and all of the fans hoping for a DFF loss.

#113 Rob...
March 09 2010, 10:08PM

@jeanshorts

"Come on Mike Fisher, you're already having more sex with Carrie Underwood than me. LAY OFF!"

Damn I'm a geek. First thing I thought of is Carrie Fisher in her bikini from Return of the Jedi.

#114 David S
March 09 2010, 10:11PM
jeanshorts wrote:

So........is JDD good? Or.........

SO CONFUSED!

...or he sucks.

Orrrr...he should sign a contract with Vince McMahon.

#115 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 10:12PM

@Rob...

Don't worry, every time they talk about Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood I start smirking cause if she wasn't a celebrity her name would soon become Carrie Fisher.

#116 jeanshorts
March 09 2010, 10:16PM

@David S

Vince McMahon? Cause he seamlessly transitions between being amazing and jobbing to teams we should probably beat?

On another more important topic, even though she looks like Grimmace in that shirt I would throw it to Martine like her name was Carrie Underwood.

#117 David S
March 09 2010, 10:16PM

Man. There's flat and then there's Oilers flat.

Wait. JDD the third star??? AUGH!!!!!!!

#118 Librarian Mike
March 09 2010, 10:49PM

Soooo, they just announced the cover athlete for NHL 2K11:

Ryan Kesler!

*wonders how many people turned 2K Sports down before they asked him*

#119 JackBauer
March 09 2010, 11:22PM

Ahhh...a welcomed third period collapse by the Oilers. All in a days work!

#120 Travis Dakin
March 09 2010, 11:56PM

Welp.... here it goes. 5 minutes left in my 20's. The journey towards death has begun. Le sigh.

#121 Travis Dakin
March 10 2010, 12:20AM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Wow that went by way too fast.

#122 Victoria
March 10 2010, 12:52AM

Brownlee's JDD curse worked again.

Dude, you need to bottle that crap and use it against the Canucks now.

#123 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 10 2010, 06:54AM
Travis Dakin wrote:

Wow that went by way too fast.

thats what she said.

***starts sobbing with all the party flashbacks running through his mind***

#124 Lofty
March 10 2010, 07:29AM

Back to a much more comfortable 6 point lead on DFL.

#125 rubbertrout
March 10 2010, 07:45AM
jeanshorts wrote:

I thought Fisher was a card carrying member of the "V" club because of his Christian values? He'd better hope for a quick wedding because given that Underwood grew up in a trailer park you know she's a "goer."

MMMMMMMM Underwood.

#126 rubbertrout
March 10 2010, 07:47AM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

Horcoff is an idiot.

I think America will find Usama before he finds what ever little game he had.

Has anyone seen him in public? Does he have that kind of nerve?

What's the over under on the number of days before the next IP ban? I take under regardless of the figure.

#129 6 ring circus
March 10 2010, 09:40AM

@Jason Gregor

Jason Is it true that, the draft lottery is held behind closed doors?

#131 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
March 10 2010, 11:12AM

@Jason Gregor

I understand how the lottery works, since I've written numerous articles on it.

c'mon now, writing alot about something doesnt always mean you know or understand the topic..

#132 Victoria
March 10 2010, 01:54PM

@Jason Gregor

Naw. A masochist keeps following the Oilers closely when they're this bad. A bandwagoner is those I keep seeing who are suddenly huge Blackhawks fans, or Caps fans. Just like the folks who were Pens fans 'all along' when they won the Cup.