Oilers vs. Kings Highlights

Jonathan Willis
April 10 2010 11:06PM

Edmonton Oilers: 4 (SO)

Los Angeles Kings: 3

Unfortunately, I was helping a buddy move and thus missed the game, but from the highlights, the recap and the boxscore it was an interesting one. As a fan of Devan Dubnyk, it's nice to see his save percentage continue to climb, but as a fan of the Oilers I don't want to see it climb too high, lest it becomes to difficult to sneak him through waivers.

On offence, it looks like it was the Comrie & Gilbert show and of course a whole bunch of Kings offence; the highlights package above shows eight saves for Dubnyk and none for Quick. In any case, what did everyone else think?

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Michael M
April 10 2010, 11:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Devan stood on his head for most of the game. I have come to my conclusion that Dubnyk is more calm and solid in goal then Jeff, just because Jeff is too energetic and can become to involved around the crease in a bad way! Devan has more potential.

Avatar
#2 sitting-at-my-desk
April 10 2010, 11:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

devan is way less than JDD,DD is at least 2 years from the big league what about gilbert..9 points in 4 games..

Avatar
#3 Cowbell_Feva
April 11 2010, 12:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I agree with Michael M. Dubie is more calm than the Hasek-like JDD. Too hard to tell who is the better choice long term. Gilb's is looking just like the Dman they signed 2 years ago. Hopefully it will translate to next year, but the summer is unfortunately long for the Oil this year.

I noticed ex-Oiler M.A. Bergeron scored his 13th of the season today after game 60. Our 7 million dollar man has that many after game 76. Bergie is a defensive liablity and he's -7, ol' Goonie Ga Ga is -28!!

Did I mention Bergeron is a defenseman??

Avatar
#4 D
April 11 2010, 01:27AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I attended the game here in Los Angeles and can say that Dubnyk was unbelievable. The fans at Staples were shaking their heads at some of his saves, especially considering that the Kings dominated all three periods. Dubnyk has something that JDD lacks - a sense of calm. JDD might make just as many saves (or even more), but he does so in a way that seems to unhinge the players in front of him. There is something to be said about a goalie being a calming presence in net. If the Oilers are forced to bet on one or the other, they might want to take a second look at Dubnyk. This afternoon's game was his coming-out party in a big way.

Avatar
#5 Skidplate
April 11 2010, 06:51AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Cowbell_Feva wrote:

I agree with Michael M. Dubie is more calm than the Hasek-like JDD. Too hard to tell who is the better choice long term. Gilb's is looking just like the Dman they signed 2 years ago. Hopefully it will translate to next year, but the summer is unfortunately long for the Oil this year.

I noticed ex-Oiler M.A. Bergeron scored his 13th of the season today after game 60. Our 7 million dollar man has that many after game 76. Bergie is a defensive liablity and he's -7, ol' Goonie Ga Ga is -28!!

Did I mention Bergeron is a defenseman??

We do not need "Bobble Head" Bergeron on our team. He is too weak defensively and too small to be a defenseman, IMO.

Avatar
#6 sizedoesmatter
April 11 2010, 08:09AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

After another solid performance by devan and the strong play of JD, I dont see any reason not to sign both.At the very least untill they see if Habby can recover.The only reason three goalies didnt work before is because conklin and morrison both struggled.Then when you do move one goalie its not on waivers but by a trade.

Avatar
#7 Lofty
April 11 2010, 08:15AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Last game of the season is finaly here! I'v been looking forward to this day like I look forward to Christmas... since Christmas.

Avatar
#8 madjam
April 11 2010, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Progress and experience for our AHL goalies should be beneficial for club going into next season . DEAL or NO DEAL ? All things being equal going into this seasons draft (Oilers and Bruins retaining top 2 picks ). Oilers deal Hemsky or Penner to Bruins with Oilers 2011 first round pick as the enticer . Considering Oilers are very likely to finish next season quite low , that offer has a lot of merit for the Bruins to consider . If that is not enough , how about dangling one or both of our second and third rounders this season , or our 2012 first round pick ? Because of the unique and projected position the Oilers and Bruins over next couple of seasons there are many good reasons for Bruins to deal off their Toronto pick this season !

Avatar
#9 MattL
April 11 2010, 08:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Cowbell_Feva wrote:

I agree with Michael M. Dubie is more calm than the Hasek-like JDD. Too hard to tell who is the better choice long term. Gilb's is looking just like the Dman they signed 2 years ago. Hopefully it will translate to next year, but the summer is unfortunately long for the Oil this year.

I noticed ex-Oiler M.A. Bergeron scored his 13th of the season today after game 60. Our 7 million dollar man has that many after game 76. Bergie is a defensive liablity and he's -7, ol' Goonie Ga Ga is -28!!

Did I mention Bergeron is a defenseman??

~Yeah, but could Bergeron win 47% of his faceoffs?~

BTW, you can't compare JDD to one of the best goalies of ALL TIME, and then say you're not sure if he'll be any better than Dubnyk. Pick another comparable.

Avatar
#10 E-Mac
April 11 2010, 08:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think we should go after Carey Price instead. He needs a change of scenery and would love to get out of the Montreal spotlight and return back to the West.

Avatar
#11 Halfwise
April 11 2010, 09:18AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

To my eyes DD is the better long term prospect but there is not that much between them at this stage of their careers.

Trade one.

New topic: Calgary has no draft picks this year until whatever, round 5. How many picks and prospects does it take to get Glencross back?

Avatar
#12 Chad
April 11 2010, 09:59AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Find a way to get rid of Khabby. Go with the JDD and DD tandem.

Avatar
#13 freeze
April 11 2010, 10:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chorney and Struds were all kinds of classic awful in the 3rd.

Avatar
#14 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 10:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

Progress and experience for our AHL goalies should be beneficial for club going into next season . DEAL or NO DEAL ? All things being equal going into this seasons draft (Oilers and Bruins retaining top 2 picks ). Oilers deal Hemsky or Penner to Bruins with Oilers 2011 first round pick as the enticer . Considering Oilers are very likely to finish next season quite low , that offer has a lot of merit for the Bruins to consider . If that is not enough , how about dangling one or both of our second and third rounders this season , or our 2012 first round pick ? Because of the unique and projected position the Oilers and Bruins over next couple of seasons there are many good reasons for Bruins to deal off their Toronto pick this season !

Why would you want to the Oilers to pull off a Brian Burke and trade away our first rounder next year or the year after. Look it how bleak the Leafs look with no 1st rounder this year or the next.

Even if next years draft is weaker, the top projected players (Adam Larsson, Ryan Nugent, Sean Couterier, etc.) are condsidered elite prsopects.

Usually you just right negative comments, not stupid ones.

Avatar
#15 pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 10:33AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I don't get the logic of trading a high impact player like Hemsky or Penner AND next years' first round pick for Boston's this year. Especially since the Oilers will probably in all likelyhood be drafting in the top 5 again next year?

Avatar
#16 Andrew
April 11 2010, 10:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

There is some merit to this deal Pokey and worth consideration. As this is very different from the Burke siging of Phil Kessel. First off Kessel is a much different animal than either Seguin or Hall. If you've seen Kessel play he is a perimeter player who knows how to get into open spots around the slot and owns a lethan heavy quick shot. However he cannot play a puck possession game as he is small, not very strong on the puck, and owns only decent playmaking skills. Hall and Seguin both have a lot of potential and both are puck possession players. Seguin is a top notch playmaker who is maybe 1-2 years away from the NHL because he needs to up his strength and conditioning like most young guys and Hall is an elite goal scorer who puts the puck away NHL style, in tough areas near the net, and owns all world speed and a great shot. Dealing Penner/Hemsky has it's merits. They are both under contract only for two more seasons and so they will both be UFA's when the Oilers start to turn it around and their prospects/draft picks start to mature. That means they will take up a big chunk of term/salary when the Oilers need to start looking towards the future. With the way the league is going I would picture the Oilers signing them to at least 5 year deals that eat up at least 5-6M per year. So why not move them now when both can command better value. Penner has a 30/30 year under his belt which I believe only 15 other NHLers have done this year and Hemsky has great overall offensive skill. Not to mention Penner would have to look good to Peter Chiarelli on a line with Savard and Lucic as Savard owns top notch playmaking skills and Lucic is an absolute monster physically. Penner would fit in quite nicely and since both Hemsky and Penner are fairly one dimensional trading either or both to potentially obtain another high pick is worth thinking about.

Also with Boston's window of opportunity running out as Savard and Chara are 33 and not getting younger they are a team that at least would consider a deal.

Avatar
#17 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 10:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Andrew wrote:

There is some merit to this deal Pokey and worth consideration. As this is very different from the Burke siging of Phil Kessel. First off Kessel is a much different animal than either Seguin or Hall. If you've seen Kessel play he is a perimeter player who knows how to get into open spots around the slot and owns a lethan heavy quick shot. However he cannot play a puck possession game as he is small, not very strong on the puck, and owns only decent playmaking skills. Hall and Seguin both have a lot of potential and both are puck possession players. Seguin is a top notch playmaker who is maybe 1-2 years away from the NHL because he needs to up his strength and conditioning like most young guys and Hall is an elite goal scorer who puts the puck away NHL style, in tough areas near the net, and owns all world speed and a great shot. Dealing Penner/Hemsky has it's merits. They are both under contract only for two more seasons and so they will both be UFA's when the Oilers start to turn it around and their prospects/draft picks start to mature. That means they will take up a big chunk of term/salary when the Oilers need to start looking towards the future. With the way the league is going I would picture the Oilers signing them to at least 5 year deals that eat up at least 5-6M per year. So why not move them now when both can command better value. Penner has a 30/30 year under his belt which I believe only 15 other NHLers have done this year and Hemsky has great overall offensive skill. Not to mention Penner would have to look good to Peter Chiarelli on a line with Savard and Lucic as Savard owns top notch playmaking skills and Lucic is an absolute monster physically. Penner would fit in quite nicely and since both Hemsky and Penner are fairly one dimensional trading either or both to potentially obtain another high pick is worth thinking about.

Also with Boston's window of opportunity running out as Savard and Chara are 33 and not getting younger they are a team that at least would consider a deal.

I get trading Hemsky or Penner possibly for this years first Rounder, but to trade away next years pick in addition to one of the above mentioned players is an overpayment and short-sighted and doesn't have merit for consideration IMO.

As far as needing to save money to resign our prospects; Hemsky and Penner each have 2 years left in their contracts. Which prospect do you speak of that would need to be signed in two years?

I believe entry level contracts can be 3 years. If we need to clear room to resign our young talent at that time there is no guarantee Hemsky or Penner would be here at that time anyway.

Avatar
#18 Andrew
April 11 2010, 10:58AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Also Hemsky and Penner are not elite level players, not even close, Hemsky is a top notch dangler but owns only a decent shot and has okay NHL IQ/offensive instincts. He seems to lack the ability to see the whole ice and doesn't make the smartest decisions with the puck.

Penner is a very big body with soft hands but owns middling speed/acceleration. His effectiveness stops when he stops moving his feet, which is fairly often, although he has gotten much better this year at keeping his feet moving. Needs to keep up with his conditioning and losing 5-10 pounds of fat would help his endurance over the long haul as he has tired after the halfway point of the season.

Also with the report on next year's crop of high end prospects Seguin and Hall stack up better than the projected first rounders for 2011.

Avatar
#19 Matt Henderson
April 11 2010, 11:01AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With Dubnyk finally looking more consistently like a decent goaltending prospect I am getting more upset at Tambellini for not finding a journeyman goaltender to play back-up to Deslauriers all season. Now even though there isnt room for both next season, one will be subject to the waiver wire.

I'm not sold that Dubnyk will definitely be picked up next season on his way down (obviously I think Deslauriers has played with better consistency), but the scenario could have been avoided by signing/trading for a competent back-up.

Avatar
#20 Andrew
April 11 2010, 11:07AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not saying in 2 years but if Hemsky/Penner tie up term and salary as I don't see either resigning here on a 1-2 year deal after their current contracts are over as no top players do so. Then Hall/Seguin's entry deal will end during Hemsky/Penner's contract along with the likes of Svensson and Eberle, etc. I'm talking about the long term future of this club and the fact is it's hard to deal players who are 30+ which they would be if they signed here again and command upwards of 5M/Y as both would since both players are earning 4.1M/4.25M respectively. Want an example, look at Danny Briere in Philly and in our backyard look at Shawn Horcoff, or Michael Rozsival in NY, or even Chicago as an example, as much as they like Marian Hossa, if they thought about it again do you think they'd sign Hossa to a deal that sees him with the club until 2021 again(he'll be 42 years old when the deal ends)?

Avatar
#21 andrew
April 11 2010, 11:10AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

ps. when I say top players in reference to Hemsky/Penner I meant on this club, not in terms of comparison with the NHL overall.

Avatar
#22 madjam
April 11 2010, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

Why would you want to the Oilers to pull off a Brian Burke and trade away our first rounder next year or the year after. Look it how bleak the Leafs look with no 1st rounder this year or the next.

Even if next years draft is weaker, the top projected players (Adam Larsson, Ryan Nugent, Sean Couterier, etc.) are condsidered elite prsopects.

Usually you just right negative comments, not stupid ones.

How soon you all forgot what we gave up for Penner ,and were willing to give up 3 first rounders for Vanek . If we were willing to give up all that , i do not think my deal is that stupid at all . In fact , i find it mild in comparison to what Vanek might have cost us !

Avatar
#23 Matt Henderson
April 11 2010, 11:11AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Andrew

Wow. Hemsky has okay offensive instincts and doesn see the whole ice?

Do we watch the same player who has been hovering around a point per game for 5 seasons and is the catalyst for the entire offense? Did you not just watch what happens to the powerplay and 1st line when Hemsky doesnt play?

Avatar
#24 Crash
April 11 2010, 11:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Matt Henderson wrote:

With Dubnyk finally looking more consistently like a decent goaltending prospect I am getting more upset at Tambellini for not finding a journeyman goaltender to play back-up to Deslauriers all season. Now even though there isnt room for both next season, one will be subject to the waiver wire.

I'm not sold that Dubnyk will definitely be picked up next season on his way down (obviously I think Deslauriers has played with better consistency), but the scenario could have been avoided by signing/trading for a competent back-up.

One of them was going to be subject to the waiver wire next year regardless of where they played this year. I believe it was good to have them both here playing and that giving up something to obtain a back up goaltender for JDD would have been a mistake.

If DD had stayed in the minors all year I don't think his development would have been further ahead than it is at this point. It was good for him to become accustomed to the speed of the NHL game and where he has to be positionally to succeed. It took him a bit of time but I think he's getting it now.

I am in disagreement with most in thinking that DD or JDD will clear waivers. Both are young and up and coming and I think there are some teams out there are looking for decent cheap back ups and that will grab one of them off waivers (ie: Colorado, Calgary, New Jersey, Pittsburgh). So having them both play here after the Khabby injury was a good thing. I think their values have been increased and one or the other can now be used successfully as trade bait. Which wouldn't have been the case if DD had stayed on the farm.

Avatar
#25 andrew
April 11 2010, 11:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

In fact I've been watching Hemsky play since 2002 when he entered the league and have been watching the Oilers since the 80's when I was a kid. If you read my post I said Hemsky was a top notch dangler and his ability with the puck makes up for the instincts/IQ. If you have ever listened to NHL analysts when they're analyzing Hemsky they all wonder why he isn't a 90+ point player as his ability is comparable with great NHL puck danglers like Datsyuk, Gaborik, Hossa, etc. So why is Hemsky consistently a 60-70 point player? It's because if you watch him play many times he holds onto the puck too long after entering the offensive zone. How many times have we seen him deke out forwards in the neutral zone, beat a defenceman along the left wing boards and then circle the net instead of putting the puck on net where a teammate is camping? Time and time again he hesitates instead of making quick and good decisions. Many times he holds onto the puck and defenceman have him scouted and wait for him along the right side corner boards and separate him from the puck, resulting in a dead play that could have been a good scoring chance. The reason Hemsky's numbers have been pretty good is because he owns world class skills in the physical sense, but in terms of the mental game in hockey he doesn't own elite level skills in that sense.

Avatar
#26 Crash
April 11 2010, 11:31AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
andrew wrote:

In fact I've been watching Hemsky play since 2002 when he entered the league and have been watching the Oilers since the 80's when I was a kid. If you read my post I said Hemsky was a top notch dangler and his ability with the puck makes up for the instincts/IQ. If you have ever listened to NHL analysts when they're analyzing Hemsky they all wonder why he isn't a 90+ point player as his ability is comparable with great NHL puck danglers like Datsyuk, Gaborik, Hossa, etc. So why is Hemsky consistently a 60-70 point player? It's because if you watch him play many times he holds onto the puck too long after entering the offensive zone. How many times have we seen him deke out forwards in the neutral zone, beat a defenceman along the left wing boards and then circle the net instead of putting the puck on net where a teammate is camping? Time and time again he hesitates instead of making quick and good decisions. Many times he holds onto the puck and defenceman have him scouted and wait for him along the right side corner boards and separate him from the puck, resulting in a dead play that could have been a good scoring chance. The reason Hemsky's numbers have been pretty good is because he owns world class skills in the physical sense, but in terms of the mental game in hockey he doesn't own elite level skills in that sense.

The reason he is consistently a 60 - 70 point player is his supporting cast and because other teams take endless liberties with him that they NEVER have to answer for....

With an improved supporting cast I don't think it's too much of a stretch for him to be a consistent 80 - 90 pt. player...heck maybe even higher...

I'd love to see what he can do playing with with the guys that Datsyuk, Gaborik and Hossa have played with.

Avatar
#27 Crash
April 11 2010, 11:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

I get trading Hemsky or Penner possibly for this years first Rounder, but to trade away next years pick in addition to one of the above mentioned players is an overpayment and short-sighted and doesn't have merit for consideration IMO.

As far as needing to save money to resign our prospects; Hemsky and Penner each have 2 years left in their contracts. Which prospect do you speak of that would need to be signed in two years?

I believe entry level contracts can be 3 years. If we need to clear room to resign our young talent at that time there is no guarantee Hemsky or Penner would be here at that time anyway.

Myself I really don't like the idea of including Hemsky in any deal involving a draft pick at this point.

There was a report earlier that Boston would not trade the pick for roster players but I wonder if they'd consider something like this.

Andrew Cogliano, Jeff Petry, the Oilers 2nd rounder 31st overall and the Oilers 1st rounder next year.

We could then have both Hall and Seguin and keep Hemsky...he might see the vast improvement coming with the likes of Hall, Seguin, Gagner, Brule, Magnus Paajarvi Svensson, Eberle, etc. and want to resign for another 5 yrs or so. Actually he might see the improvement even without getting both and want to re-up after next year.

Avatar
#28 Reagan
April 11 2010, 11:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Good game on Saturday. Dubbie stood on his head. Penner, Comrie, and Potulny had good games.

Does anyone know if it possible to buy tickets to the draft? Or when it is possible? say via ticketmaster?

Avatar
#29 andrew
April 11 2010, 11:48AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

don't think it would make much of a difference. Look at Anze Kopitar, he's put up his best season to date and he's had a rotation of linemates. His best being Ryan Smyth(who Hemsky did play with for numerous years) and Justin Williams (who is a 30/30 guy who loves scoring around the net, not that different from Penner in terms of where he scores his points, although they are very different players) Hemsky is, on a good healthy season, anywhere from a 65-80 point player.

I'm not saying he has to be dealt because I do like him as a player and very few guys own his skills. I'm saying if there is a good deal out there it's worth heavy consideration.

Also those players I listed have for the most part also played with only decent players. Datsyuk for the most part is on a line with the likes of Franzen/Cleary/Fippula and only had Hossa for one season as Zetterberg is for the better part of the season taking 2nd line center duties. In Minnesota Gaborik's best linemate was Pavol Demitra who is good but not a great top 6 forward. The only guy who's been around great linemates his entire career is Hossa, playing with the likes of Alfredsson, Havlat in Ottawa, Kovalchuk in Atlanta, Crosby/Malkin in Pittsburgh, and Kane/Toews/Sharp in Chicago. The fact is because those players I listed own both the physical and mental skills they make the players around them better. It's not yet proven that Hemsky can do that as he hasn't yet in his career.

Avatar
#30 andrew
April 11 2010, 11:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

also just to address the comment about opponents taking liberties with Hemsky. That's an excuse, all top NHL talent are being hit and don't have a ton of space, players today take liberties with everyone. You either play through it and give it back like Ovechkin does or you use your smarts to get around it like Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Malkin. The fact is that's a crybaby excuse guys aren't protected like they once were during the 80's/90's like Gretzky.

Avatar
#31 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 12:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Myself I really don't like the idea of including Hemsky in any deal involving a draft pick at this point.

There was a report earlier that Boston would not trade the pick for roster players but I wonder if they'd consider something like this.

Andrew Cogliano, Jeff Petry, the Oilers 2nd rounder 31st overall and the Oilers 1st rounder next year.

We could then have both Hall and Seguin and keep Hemsky...he might see the vast improvement coming with the likes of Hall, Seguin, Gagner, Brule, Magnus Paajarvi Svensson, Eberle, etc. and want to resign for another 5 yrs or so. Actually he might see the improvement even without getting both and want to re-up after next year.

I am sure that if the Oilers could do what you propose they would do it in a heartbeat.

If you were the Bruins would you trade a Top 5 possible elite level player for a 2 good supporting cast players and a prospect?

I highly doubt it. I like your thinking though, because those top 5 picks don't come along often, and can help turn a franchise around.

Avatar
#32 Crash
April 11 2010, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
andrew wrote:

don't think it would make much of a difference. Look at Anze Kopitar, he's put up his best season to date and he's had a rotation of linemates. His best being Ryan Smyth(who Hemsky did play with for numerous years) and Justin Williams (who is a 30/30 guy who loves scoring around the net, not that different from Penner in terms of where he scores his points, although they are very different players) Hemsky is, on a good healthy season, anywhere from a 65-80 point player.

I'm not saying he has to be dealt because I do like him as a player and very few guys own his skills. I'm saying if there is a good deal out there it's worth heavy consideration.

Also those players I listed have for the most part also played with only decent players. Datsyuk for the most part is on a line with the likes of Franzen/Cleary/Fippula and only had Hossa for one season as Zetterberg is for the better part of the season taking 2nd line center duties. In Minnesota Gaborik's best linemate was Pavol Demitra who is good but not a great top 6 forward. The only guy who's been around great linemates his entire career is Hossa, playing with the likes of Alfredsson, Havlat in Ottawa, Kovalchuk in Atlanta, Crosby/Malkin in Pittsburgh, and Kane/Toews/Sharp in Chicago. The fact is because those players I listed own both the physical and mental skills they make the players around them better. It's not yet proven that Hemsky can do that as he hasn't yet in his career.

If this year doesn't prove to you how much Hemsky does make the players around him better then you're not paying attention. Look at Horcoff...Hemsky managed to get him a 30 mil contract. Look at Penner's year this year and notice the difference after Hemsky went down.

I think you have selective memory with regards to who Datsyuk has played with during his days in Detroit. Fransen has only really been around for the last couple of years...Datsyuk has played with such guys as Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Henrik Zetterberg, Nik Lidstrom just to name a few....it makes for some dangerous weapons at EV strength and especially on the PP.

Gaborik has also played alongside Mikko Koivu and Pierre Marc Bouchard.

IMO you and many others are underestimating Hemsky's talent. One of the things you mentioned is how Hemsky enters the zone with the puck but then circles the net. To me he is looking for someone to dish the puck off to who will deposit it in the net but can't find these players. You say he should put the puck on net where a teammate is camping but if you haven't noticed...for years now the Oilers coaching staff has been talking about wanting the Oilers to get greasy goals..put the puck on net with traffic and bang it in...but the Oilers refuse year after year after year to have guys go to the net...it actually drives me nuts that they don't do it.

In any event...IMO losing Hemsky would not be a good idea unless he has told the Oilers he is leaving for sure after 2 yrs.

Avatar
#33 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 12:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I wouldn't want to trade Hemsky either if I were the Oilers. However, you have to give up something in order to get something.

As Brownlee has alluded to; he's not sure Hemsky will resign here in two years, his trade value is probably at its peak right now (good cap hit, 2 years left in his contract).

Asset management is key, the only way the Oilers win is through the draft. As has been shown abundantly, the lure of Edmonton on high end UFA's is like being the only fat girl in a bikini contest.

Avatar
#34 Crash
April 11 2010, 12:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

I am sure that if the Oilers could do what you propose they would do it in a heartbeat.

If you were the Bruins would you trade a Top 5 possible elite level player for a 2 good supporting cast players and a prospect?

I highly doubt it. I like your thinking though, because those top 5 picks don't come along often, and can help turn a franchise around.

If I were the Bruins and I could pick up Cogliano who has upside, Petry who is a very good prospect, the 31st overall pick in this years draft and possible a top 5 next year as well for one top 2 then yes I would consider it.

I would at least counter offer it I wouldn't just walk away.

Like maybe Cogliano and the Oilers 1st rounders in 2011 and 2012. If you're the Oilers you might do it seeing as how the organization is stock full of potential high end prospects already.

Avatar
#35 Crash
April 11 2010, 12:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

I wouldn't want to trade Hemsky either if I were the Oilers. However, you have to give up something in order to get something.

As Brownlee has alluded to; he's not sure Hemsky will resign here in two years, his trade value is probably at its peak right now (good cap hit, 2 years left in his contract).

Asset management is key, the only way the Oilers win is through the draft. As has been shown abundantly, the lure of Edmonton on high end UFA's is like being the only fat girl in a bikini contest.

Yes but when do the Oilers and the Oilers fans want to end this endless carousel whereby we always want to trade our best players while they are at their highest trade value...

Don't they at some point have to keep some of them beyond their highest trade value and try to win? Why does everyone always want to trade away our best players for more young draft picks.

If you're always doing that, you never get anywhere.

Avatar
#36 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 12:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hemsky is our most valuable player for sure. I personally would love hime to be here for 10 more years, but IF he doesn't want to be here after his contract expiress would you rather see him walk, or get a return?

Maybe after next year he sees the ship being righted with Oil and decides that they will be a contenter in the next 5 years; resulting in Hemmer wanting to stay.

I agree you can't always trade your talent away for prospects, because at some point you have to compete, but it depends on the circumstance.

Avatar
#37 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

On a side note....

Could be Rod Phillips last radio broadcast ever.

I myself am going to be heavy-hearted tonight as I listen to him quite possibly for the last time.

I grew up with Rod's one of a kind, unique, and entertaining broadcasts.

Rod you will never be matched and will be missed by all Oiler fans.

Avatar
#38 Crash
April 11 2010, 12:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

Hemsky is our most valuable player for sure. I personally would love hime to be here for 10 more years, but IF he doesn't want to be here after his contract expiress would you rather see him walk, or get a return?

Maybe after next year he sees the ship being righted with Oil and decides that they will be a contenter in the next 5 years; resulting in Hemmer wanting to stay.

I agree you can't always trade your talent away for prospects, because at some point you have to compete, but it depends on the circumstance.

For me, unless Hemsky has already told the Oilers he is leaving after this contract expires I wait until after next season and if I can't extend him in the summer of 2011 then I pull the trigger...

I'm hoping that the team will show improvement next season and will encourage Hemsky into seeing that something special may be on the near horizon and he will want to stay...

but like I said I wait until next summer as that is when the Oilers are allowed to sign him again.

I totally agree with you about Rod...I grew up listening to Rod as well beginning back in the WHA days and it will be a sad day when he is retired and no longer the voice of our fav team.

Avatar
#39 Pokey Reddock
April 11 2010, 01:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I totatlly agree with you. If they know Hemsky wants out after 2 years than it wouldn't matter if they did something this year or next year. But let's hope Hemsky sees a bigger picture on the Horizon.

I just think Hemsky could be close to a hundred point guy if he had a supporting cast, and some protection. I would hate to see him reach that potential someplace else.

I know there are some out there that think Hemsky still has more potetial. If Gretz thinks Hemmer is all world talent, who are we to disagree.

Also, Rod made the Oiler games even in the abysmal years in the mid 90's tolerable and exciting; and that in itself is a feat.

Avatar
#40 madjam
April 11 2010, 01:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Pokey Reddock wrote:

I am sure that if the Oilers could do what you propose they would do it in a heartbeat.

If you were the Bruins would you trade a Top 5 possible elite level player for a 2 good supporting cast players and a prospect?

I highly doubt it. I like your thinking though, because those top 5 picks don't come along often, and can help turn a franchise around.

Now you get the idea - names are an example only and could change to make a deal happen . Giving up this years 31 pick, is basically like a first round pick anyways . I see you see that we already have a good quantity of first rate talent in system already (and on team ) still very viable and progressing. I see a deal beneficial to both teams without gutting much if any of our futre base, or either clubs future plans . At what point can Bruins/Oilers no longer say no to a deal of this type ? All speculative of course , but the dynamics of such a trade are all there . I would say risk factor is no worse than Penner action(probably even less) , and far less than what Vanek action would have cost us .

Avatar
#41 Crash
April 11 2010, 01:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Here's a thought out of left field...I've been watching the development of Shawn Matthias 6'2", 213lbs, 22 yrs old...big time contributor on Canada's world junior team back in the day. He's starting to come around. He could possibly be that big power center the Oilers could use.

What about offering Florida something like Cogliano, Petry and Nashville's 2nd rounder?

Just a thought

Avatar
#42 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
April 11 2010, 02:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
madjam wrote:

How soon you all forgot what we gave up for Penner ,and were willing to give up 3 first rounders for Vanek . If we were willing to give up all that , i do not think my deal is that stupid at all . In fact , i find it mild in comparison to what Vanek might have cost us !

enough BS.

1)What did the oilers give up for penner? a 1st,2nd and 3rd. can you name any of those 3 picks off the top of your head? i doubt it.

2) it was 4 1sts for Vanek, not 3.

Avatar
#43 OilFan
April 11 2010, 03:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

I agree Hemsky is a rare talent. If you trade him. I think you have to get back a player that has proven himself not a draft pick. With two years left on his contract why rush the trade. He has been a point a game guy for the last five years or close to it. Trade him after next season if you cant sign him. I can see why everyone wants to get picks and prospects but to trade all your known talent and expect the rookies to just adapt overnight is crazy.

Avatar
#44 JackBauer
April 11 2010, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

On the Dubnyk situation. I dont get why people are all ga ga for a guy with a 4-10 record and a save percentage below .9. Hes been borderline good with streaks of awful. I dont even think its a question he is the one back to the A next season.

Avatar
#45 Hemmertime
April 11 2010, 03:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Cowbell_Feva wrote:

I agree with Michael M. Dubie is more calm than the Hasek-like JDD. Too hard to tell who is the better choice long term. Gilb's is looking just like the Dman they signed 2 years ago. Hopefully it will translate to next year, but the summer is unfortunately long for the Oil this year.

I noticed ex-Oiler M.A. Bergeron scored his 13th of the season today after game 60. Our 7 million dollar man has that many after game 76. Bergie is a defensive liablity and he's -7, ol' Goonie Ga Ga is -28!!

Did I mention Bergeron is a defenseman??

I dont understand who you are referring to, Horcoff? Ive never seen him referred to as Goonie Ga Ga... or that phrase before. Also, he has 13 goals...

Avatar
#46 Skidplate
April 11 2010, 03:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Some excellent articles by John Mackinnon with the Journal:

Seguin

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/John+MacKinnon+Seguin+evolves+into+star/2789009/story.html

Hall

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/John+MacKinnon+Seguin+evolves+into+star/2789009/Backyard+rink+grows/2786215/story.html

I am torn between who to chose. Both would be excellent picks for the Oilers. If we could only get both............

Avatar
#47 OilFan
April 11 2010, 03:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Skidplate

I'm done caring( I've already pulled all remaining hair out). We just have to see what happens on Tuesday.Thanks for the links.

Avatar
#48 OilFan
April 11 2010, 03:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
JackBauer wrote:

On the Dubnyk situation. I dont get why people are all ga ga for a guy with a 4-10 record and a save percentage below .9. Hes been borderline good with streaks of awful. I dont even think its a question he is the one back to the A next season.

I agree, but I don't see much with JDD also. In my perfect world they are both in the A.

Avatar
#49 Hemmertime
April 11 2010, 03:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

enough BS.

1)What did the oilers give up for penner? a 1st,2nd and 3rd. can you name any of those 3 picks off the top of your head? i doubt it.

2) it was 4 1sts for Vanek, not 3.

Thank goodness for matching offer. Penner has more goals and assists than Vanek this year, and Vanek just had a 4 goal game last night.

Though Id take Vanek over Penner at same salary any day, hes not worth 3 mil more for longer term, and two more first round picks. Especially this years.

Avatar
#50 Matt Henderson
April 11 2010, 03:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Hemmertime wrote:

Thank goodness for matching offer. Penner has more goals and assists than Vanek this year, and Vanek just had a 4 goal game last night.

Though Id take Vanek over Penner at same salary any day, hes not worth 3 mil more for longer term, and two more first round picks. Especially this years.

X2

Comments are closed for this article.