Big Sexy's big interview

Jason Gregor
April 12 2010 09:40AM

Calgary Flames v Edmonton Oilers

Take a deep breath Oilersnation... relax, inhale and look at how the Sheldon Souray trade request will impact the team. Souray told Mark Spector he wants out, and you shouldn’t be shocked by Souray’s request.

But why he wants out is the bigger issue.

Here’s what he said to Spector.

"I don’t talk to anyone (in management) and I don’t expect to when I check out of here. I don’t really need to talk to them. There isn’t anything to say.

"Management has soured on me, and I’ve soured on them," he continued. "The fans are great, they’ve accepted me here, I see the jerseys in the stands. I couldn’t have pictured a more opposite vision of what my experience here would be like. What the organization here would be like, overall."

"I feel now that, when I signed here, I probably was as blinded by their great past as (the Oilers) are," Souray said. "People will question me, that they overpaid me … that it was a bad decision to sign me. But I can tell you this: I turned down more money in other places."

"I got challenged by management on the very first day of my first training camp. The very first day," he said. "They said, ‘When are you going to play?’ I said, ‘I have a six month (shoulder) injury and I’m at five months.’ But I played.

"The Oilers always prided themselves in being a family. Whatever happened to that? I haven’t talked to (Tambellini) since mid-January."

Here we are a day after the season ended and the drama of the off-season will only intensify with Souray’s comments.

Steve Tambellini is not the best communicator to guys on his own management team, so I’m not stunned he hasn’t spoken with Souray, however, I doubt one phone call to see how he was doing was going to change Souray’s mind.

Souray was bang on when he said it was a mutual “souring” between him and management. Tambellini would have traded him at the deadline if he didn’t break his hand in a fight with Jarome Iginla.

Souray didn’t see eye-to-eye with Craig MacTavish or Kevin Lowe, but neither of those guys are in the same position when Souray signed.

I appreciate when a player speaks his mind, and Souray was never afraid to answer any question, but what is gained by demanding a trade today?

Souray has a no-movement clause until June 30th, so he controls where he gets dealt despite his public demand. Even once July 1st hits he and his agent still have some say, because they will undoubtedly tell teams where he wants to play. No team will trade for a $5.4 cap-hit player who doesn’t want to be in their organization.

So what was Souray’s motivation?

He wants the world to know he wasn’t treated fairly? That Tambellini didn’t check up on him? Or that the Oilers management team isn’t as professional as the New Jersey Devils or Montreal Canadiens?

The Devils traded him at the deadline in 2000 to Montreal, the year they won their 2nd Stanley Cup. The Habs didn’t re-sign after he scored 26 goals. Why?

I don’t see Souray’s demand as another low point for the organization, because they can’t get lower than 30th. Souray is not Chris Pronger. The Rake led the Oilers to game seven of the Stanley Cup finals, while the Oilers haven’t made the dance once in Souray’s three seasons.

It is clear that Souray was frustrated and annoyed with Tambellini and the Oilers and the last three years have been tough, but it hasn’t been any harder on him than other players and the fans that have loyally doled out thousands of dollars only to watch a below-average product for three years.

While Souray has a right to be annoyed he should look in the mirror and realize that he isn’t completely innocent either.

He was part of a leadership group that missed the playoffs three years running. He was in the room where harmony was questioned. He accuses Tambellini of not being “family oriented” yet the area he could control, the dressing room, was far from harmonious.

Both sides are to blame in this divorce, and I think both sides will be better off without one another moving forward. Now it is up to Tambellini to try and salvage something out of Souray’s tenure in Edmonton.

The most important off-season in Oiler history starts today, and it just got a bit more interesting with Souray’s comments.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Jonathan Willis
April 12 2010, 10:09AM

I understand some backlash towards Souray, but given that Souray praised his teammates, the city and the fans, specifically targetting only management, I have one question for the wave of anti-Souray sentiment:

Do you really want to defend this management group?

This isn't Souray vs. the Oilers. This is Souray vs. the people who have made the Oilers the worst franchise in the NHL.

#2 Ender
April 12 2010, 11:34AM

Big name players demand trades fairly regularly. They do it because they know that it works. Souray isn't a rookie here. He knew what he was saying when he went on record; his agent knew it too. Souray was doing his best to get moved to another squad, and he needed to spin it somehow so that he didn’t come off as a spoiled brat. He picked the most obvious scapegoat that there was. Everyone is already less than sympathetic to Tambellini so it would seem to be a smart move to blame things on the guy people are already bitter at. People believe what they want to believe.

I'm not saying Tambellini shouldn't be fired. He should, and the reasons are plenty. I just wouldn't make too much out of Souray's allegations. They're pretty weak and Souray had his own agenda for saying what he did. If Oilers fans are going to take shots at management, they have much better ammunition than this.

#3 Archaeologuy
April 12 2010, 09:53AM

If the Oilers are wrecklessly pushing players to play injured and that's been part of the reason why this team has suffered so many man-games lost then I'm glad he blew the whistle. Too bad things didnt work out.

#4 I'm a Scientist!
April 12 2010, 09:56AM

I just hope the whistle blowing actually leads to some action.

The time for Katz to act is now while the spotlight is on the problem. Show that he deals with issues and makes it better. Fire Tambo, fire Kevin Lowe, trade Souray...move on.

~I bet a Sutter or two might be looking for work in Alberta soon~

#5 Travis Dakin
April 12 2010, 10:22AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Do you really want to defend this management group?

He could have called out management without asking for a trade. That would have been far more effective.

#6 Archaeologuy
April 12 2010, 11:25AM
BarryS wrote:

The tradition in hockey is to play hurt. That's in the job discription. If Souray didn't want to play hurt, all he had to do was say something, of course the rest of the players in the league would laugh him right out of it.

Lets see, Bob Bonn played with a broken leg, Hemsky and Horcoff played with seperated shoulders, Lowe played with broken ribs, no doubt come playoffs we will hear of several players playing with similar injuries and for free.

Talking about hypcracy, the fans call out players who don't play unless they see the cast. No cast and they write in about someone being soft and faking injury when the going gets tough.

If health and safety was the issue, there'd be no hitting, or fighting in the game and they would use sponge pucks and rubber sticks.

Now you're just being an idiot. Are you f*cking serious? You just listed 2 of 3 players who played injured and had their seasons this year ended prematurely for their troubles. The other, Horcoff, became a useless shell of a player for half the season with his shoulder troubles. We arent talking about bruises and sprains, you listed 3 players that required surgery in the last 3 years. Pull your head out of your a$$.

We arent talking about the playoffs. We're talking about a team that was eliminated from the playoffs before Christmas.

#7 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
April 12 2010, 11:42AM
MattL wrote:

Sweet, I just got a promotion to (Assistant to the Vice) President of my company! I'm a president!

To be fair, the 'A' stands for 'alternate'.

#8 Archaeologuy
April 12 2010, 11:46AM

@BarryS

You're unbelievable. If you think its ok to pressure people to work in unsafe conditions then there isnt anything to be said between us on this topic. Choosing to play and being told to play hurt are two different things. Pitkanen wasnt comfortable with it here, Souray wasnt comfortable with it here; Hemsky, Souray, Horcoff, Smid, and others have been injured long term because of it, but you're right, nothing's wrong with it.

They are pro players who play through all kinds of injuries, so imagine what it takes for them not to be comfortable playing.

#9 RossCreekNation
April 12 2010, 11:46AM
Petr's Jofa wrote:

I'm not questioning if Strudwick is a good leader or nice guy. I just thought that the Masterson was awarded to the player who overcame an obsticle.

He overcame lack of skill... right? LOLZ

#10 Chris.
April 12 2010, 12:37PM

I think a lot of people (including Gregor) are missing the point.

It doesn't matter if Souray has been childish, or difficult, or is a high maintenance type player... Shouldn't it be a mandate for management to create the best possible atmosphere within the entire organization? It's not like the Oilers will never encounter another high maintenance type player.... IMO, The sheer number of player management relationships that have gone sour over the years is quite alarming.

P.S. If true, it's absolutely ridiculous that a player injured on the ice, could lay on a hospital bed with an IV, for weeks, without recieving any kind of visit or phone call from the boss. Shame on you Tambellini!

#11 rubbertrout
April 12 2010, 01:25PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

But how can the Oilers expect anyone to be a "team guy" if this is how the players are treated?

He might not be being an Oiler-first guy right now, but if he's accurately describing the team policy with regards to injured players then what he's saying IS team first. Blowing the whistle on this crap can only help his (soon to be ex) teammates in the future.

I dont like that he has publicly demanded a trade, but if you get past that then the claims he's making are serious and have implications about why the culture of the team has died in recent seasons.

Still waiting for evidence that I was "supporting" management.

Look at all the people that have simply accepted what he has said about injuries and playing through injuries. Sure there are guys on the Oil that have played through injuries. There are also guys like that on every team.

IF what he says is true then I agree that this is unacceptable. Of course I'm pretty sure there is a grievance process to follow to make such a complaint (this would be expected in a collectively bargained labour situation--if someone knows the specific procedure I would love to hear about it).

All he has done is mouthed off in the media and pointed the finger at some perceived wrongdoings that he suffered at the hands of management three years ago that he didn't complain about until he wanted to force a trade.

It is working too because everyone is happy to pile this latest allegation on the idiots we have running the show. To suggest that he has some kind of altruistic bent and that he is mentioning this now to "help" the team by protecting other players is pretty ludicrous.

#12 Archaeologuy
April 12 2010, 01:29PM

@rubbertrout

"To suggest that he has some kind of altruistic bent and that he is mentioning this now to "help" the team by protecting other players is pretty ludicrous."

And to suggest he is a complete liar driven only by his prima-donna ego is just as ludicrous.

#13 rubbertrout
April 12 2010, 01:43PM

@Archaeologuy

Not sure where I said he was a "complete liar driven only by his prima-donna ego". Please feel free to point it out to me. Concersely your exact words were

I'm just painting by numbers here.

A. He wanted out and gave a list of destinations (I think this occurred between Jan and now so it looks like there was at least some communication between his camp and the Oil)

B. He wasn't traded at the deadline (likely due to his injuires but who knows what the market would have been in any event).

C. He didn't once say that he had a problem with being pressured to come back early until now. He certainly didn't say or do anything 3 years ago which is the time frame he referenced as his example.

D. If he isn't talking to management (and this is stated as a problem by him as he apparently is an "asset" that needs to be "managed" how exactly is the management team pressuring him?

I'm not saying that Lowe and Tambo have done a good job (and I'm feeling like broken record here). If there is a problem evidenced by more than the spouting off about old news by a guy who wants out then for sure it needs to be dealt with and probably will be investigated.

From my perspective if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck.

#14 Eddie Shore
April 12 2010, 03:41PM

Let me see if I have this right..

Tambellini signed Souray to his ridiculous contract and then forced him to play injured at the very start of said ridiculous contract. ~Ya, ok.

#15 Reagan
April 12 2010, 09:44AM

A Big Mistake for Both sides, right from Day one.

#16 BUCK75
April 12 2010, 09:49AM

The timing stinks, but reading into some of the things that have been written in the past why is this such a surprise? The last article that Brownlee wrote he didn't see Souray as the Captain, so I guess in hindsight if you read into stuff like that it shouldn't surprise anyone.

As I said earlier, a guy that nobody else in the league wanted at anywhere close to his salary should be a little more thankful for his situation.

#17 Tha Legion
April 12 2010, 09:50AM

I'm not mad, I'm disappointed,

Well Souray sucked in NJ, so him being dealt shouldn't really mean anything then. Souray wasn't re-signed by Montreal because they didn't have the money and elected to keep Markov and Streit for one more year. I'm really not sure why everyone in the media has brought this up.

Now with that being said, he has brought up a couple interesting points about Tambo not being there for him and the team rushing guys back to soon from injury. Granted Tambo could comeback with an article and say the opposite, so I'll leave this part for now.

I also don't see why everyone is so suprised about this happening. It was pretty apparent that when Souray pretty much would go to any team at the deadline that he wanted out. At least people can't complain that he didn't speak up like Pronger.

#19 MattL
April 12 2010, 09:54AM

And who says they were a captain on a team where they weren't the captain? Kind of reflects a lack of self-awareness, doesn't it?

#20 The Real Scuba Steve
April 12 2010, 09:57AM

I think management gives off negative vibes, they should at least communicate more often with their players even if the team stinks like the Oil, I thought that was one of the Oilers great traditions, being a close family like organization. I guess there must be more going on with the players than we know of.

#21 Matty31
April 12 2010, 09:57AM

Gregor did you have any inkling that this was coming? I am looking forward to seeing what we get for him.

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

I just hope the whistle blowing actually leads to some action.

~I bet a Sutter or two might be looking for work in Alberta soon~

Not sure that us doing that really makes the situation better. Is it really better to know that if you are a star on this team you have the power to get anyone fired?

#23 rubbertrout
April 12 2010, 09:59AM

I agree 100% that 44 needs to look in the mirror and take some responsibility.

44's comments about how the team handled his injuries seem like he is making up excuses for wanting out. Why is it a big deal today how they handled his shoulder injury from 3 years ago? Is he suggesting that coming back from his concussion early broke his hand?

He wants out because the team sucks period end of story. This whole focus is to try and shift the blame to a management group that is already publicly vilified.

EDIT: And yes I refuse to call this clown by his name or his cool moniker any longer.

#24 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:01AM

this is a simple, classic, management-employee conflict.

unfortunately, even though it's easier to blame him, the employee doesn't have any responsibility here.

the team belongs to the management (as reps for the owner) and their approach should be far more proactive, supportive as well as demanding an fair.

reading between the lines of past and recent turmoils it does not look like Oilers have a professional management team (and the results prove that).

the part that saddens me the most is that this mediocre management team will be in charge of developing brilliant 18, 19 yo kids coming into this league.

opportunity wasted? quite probable...

#25 Twiggs
April 12 2010, 10:02AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Not sure if I would take it that far. People have been talking about a management change for a while while now. The Souray comments may just be the final nail in the coffin (although I highly doubt that). It may turn out that his comments are seen to influence the outcome but I doubt that anyone will take it as a star on the Oilers has the power to get management fired. IMO

Twiggs wrote:

Who has been talking about management change? The odd oiler blogger and the fans? I really can't see Katz being ready to fire Tambo until at the end of next year at the earliest.

#27 Bacon Nachos
April 12 2010, 10:05AM

See, when you hear the news in Tampa where when they have missed the playoffs for the 3rd season in the row and they immediately fire their GM and coach...

Why can't we do something like that? (Not that I want Pat Quinn gone, but the old staff have got to go).

#28 Petr's Jofa
April 12 2010, 10:05AM

I think what Souray did could work out great. If all the things about pushing players to play is true, he needed to speakout for himself and the other players.

This may be a foot in the right direction for Edmonton to restore it's reputation. Now rather than trying to change the city's image, the climate, or the team's on ice record, all the OIlers need to improve Edmonton's image is fire a GM and President team who ice a dead last team.

Perception is huge. The Oilers need to spin it so that players start to believe that managment was the the reason no FAs want to sign there. Then when Katz fires managment, the perception problems are solved. Especially if the prospects and young talent start to improve...Right?

#29 I'm a Scientist!
April 12 2010, 10:06AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

True, but if the accusations about making players play injured and not communicating with the team are true...then i think that is grounds for a firin'...

The accusations about players playing injured HAS to be true... look at Horcoff this year, look at Gagner at the end of the season, look at Hemsky before he got hurt. How did ANY of that help us? Souray made it public and now things have to be done.

Extreme Example of the Day: Let's say you work for an organization and your boss murders somebody. You work for awhile but then it eats away at you enough that you just have to tell somebody. So you make it public and your boss promptly gets fired. YOU did not get the guy fired, his actions got him fired.

#30 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:06AM
The Real Scuba Steve wrote:

looks like some 'kids' in this 'Oilers Family' don't like the way 'parents' treat them...

unfortunately they are over 18yo and can just walk away.

~ life is unfair for some parents ~

#31 The Real Scuba Steve
April 12 2010, 10:06AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

I just hope the whistle blowing actually leads to some action.

~I bet a Sutter or two might be looking for work in Alberta soon~

I agree get rid of the management.

#32 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:09AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

IMO it's grounds for internal investigation first, rather then direct firing...

I'm a Scientist! wrote:

The thing is that he was talking to the trainer everyday. Granted Tambo not talking to Souray is odd, but it's not like he was kicked to the curb.

As for Horcoff, Gagner and Hemsky I blame management not for making them play but for letting them play. In Horcoff and Hemsky's situation fine let them play because you can't do anymore damage, but Gagner shouldn't have played at the point in the year when the games meant nothing.

#34 Twiggs
April 12 2010, 10:12AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I totally agree, I think it will be a while until we see a management change. And the only rumblings of management chance have come from the odd blogger and disgruntled fans. I've seen it posted by citizens of the ON a number of times. I don't think management will be replaced but I was just saying that if they were, the perception wouldn't necessarily be that a star had the power to cause that change.

#35 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:12AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Do you really want to defend this management group?

pushing this further, if an investigation proves that players were not allowed full recovery time after an injury, this triggers management liability as far as Alberta Safety is concerned.

if lawyers get involved, it can turn really ugly.

#36 Petr's Jofa
April 12 2010, 10:13AM

I agree.

Before he made this statement Souray could see the writing on the wall and that there is a high likelihood that he is going to get traded. So what's his motive for speaking up about managment. Is it:

A) He's sticking up for the for the teammates he is leaving behind in hopes that hey aren't force to play when they shouldn't be.

B) He as a personal Axe to grind with Lowe and Tambellini

C) He made the statements because he was possessed by Jersey #44 and robbed of his free will?

#37 I'm a Scientist!
April 12 2010, 10:13AM
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

So i guess it depends on if they were TOLD to play, or if they were ALLOWED to play. As dragon says... internal investigation should happen.

#38 Kieso
April 12 2010, 10:14AM

Hmmmm....lets consider this for a minute. While Souray might be/is right about some of his assessments about management. I would think the conversation, or lack of it went like this.

Souray to media; I would like a trade to help the team.

Management; Whatever, nice way to say you would like to leave. Nobody wants you and we are not sure we like you anymore. But we might have some bites on the market.

Souray; I really want a trade so to prove this I am going to break my hand in a stupid fight I could get into next year or the year after.

Management; Well there goes your trade request, you want to leave, and don't hang out with the team at all anymore. What is there to talk about?

Souray; Wow, I am stil really sexy, look at my hair.

#39 BUCK75
April 12 2010, 10:14AM

@Jonathan Willis

I totally agree. We have been ripping on the MGMT since Khabi signed here. It's tough to pick sides, but I can't see all of our brass losing their jobs 2 months ahead of the draft. That would be ridiculous. The Tampa example is poor, 3 years of losing, a couple of different owners & some bad contracts. Sounds like the our team but it is comparing apples & oranges.

dragon wrote:

if lawyers get involved, it can turn really ugly.

I wouldn't be concerned with Alberta Safety as much as the NHLPA and the NHL.

So I wonder if those rumors of him wanting out last summer are true? I mean is it not possible he went the quiet route and got nowhere, so now he is letting it be known he wants out?

#42 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:16AM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

would it be possible as Fans of the Oilers we collect a bunch of real life signatures on a petition and ask Katz for an independent internal investigation into this?

do you think we'd get any reaction?

hell: we sent ON to the draft last year!

we could pull something like this off: show the muscle of the ON!!!

#43 OilFan
April 12 2010, 10:17AM

I thought he already asked for a trade before the trade`deadline. Anyway who cares? lets send him to the minors. Make him play in the AHL the next two seasons and then when he is almost 40 he can hit free agency.

#44 Petr's Jofa
April 12 2010, 10:18AM

@dragon

1) Yes 2) No

#45 Archaeologuy
April 12 2010, 10:18AM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

Do you really want to defend this management group?

Exactly. And I agree with dragon too, internal investigation required. This smells like Bob Clark and the Flyers fiasco that led to key players getting injured all too often for them all for the sake of "toughness". The culture of the club was destroyed over the course of a few seasons. This starts at the top.

#46 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
April 12 2010, 10:21AM

Great blog Gregor, I agree 100%. Souray needs to shoulder some blame as well.

Question for you, do you know how often managment is in contact with players on other teams?

#47 dragon
April 12 2010, 10:24AM
Petr's Jofa wrote:

1) Yes 2) No

as far as: - 2) No - goes:

no owner is God. with ownership comes responsibility both towards your clients and your employees.

and there are several ways and channels that could get ownership's attention quite quickly.

for the record: i'm not siding with Souray, but the accusations are serious enough that cannot be simply ignored.

#48 Dan the Man
April 12 2010, 10:24AM

Souray didn't have to do it this way, he didn't have to whine about something that happened 3 almost years ago.

If he felt pressured to play before he was ready I understand the frustration with that. I'm pretty sure management didn't pressure him into that fight with Byron Ritchie that led to his shoulder separation though.

I'm also pretty sure management didn't pressure him into breaking his hand in the Iginla fight.

#49 Reagan
April 12 2010, 10:27AM

Agreed Travis.

I don't think making it public help either.

#50 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
April 12 2010, 10:28AM
OilFan wrote:

That's like buying a Porsche to tow your trailer. You're paying a hell of a lot of money for no apparent reason, and you end up with no resale value by the time you're ready to buy a new one.