Tambellini has his say... and, YES, Oilers pick first!!!

Robin Brownlee
April 13 2010 04:54PM

After taking two days to contemplate Sheldon Souray's public trade request and what can only be characterized as a scathing indictment of Edmonton Oilers management, GM Steve Tambellini had his say this afternoon.

Unavailable to media after Souray's inflammatory comments ran on Sportsnet.ca, Tambellini issued a statement via a news release at 4 p.m., saying very little and pre-empting his own availability with local media that's scheduled for Wednesday at 1 p.m. at Rexall Place.

As per the release:

“Sheldon’s comments are unfortunate and counterproductive, but we are going to manage through this in a responsible and professional manner.

"We understand Sheldon has had a tough year and he has a desire to play elsewhere. His additional comments regarding being 'forced to play' when injured are far more serious and my stance is that they are demonstrably untrue.”

Atta boy, Steve. You tell him.

THAT'S IT?

Given Souray's accusation the Oilers made him return from a shoulder injury before he was ready to play to start the 2007-08 season with a freshly inked $27-million contract in his hip pocket, you'd think that Tambellini might have fired back.

Considering Souray essentially called Tambellini a lousy communicator who never even bothered to talk to him while he was recovering from a broken hand this season, you'd think Tambellini might have served up something today that would disprove that. But no.

Perhaps a page from coach Pat Quinn, who offered this about Souray in his meeting with media this morning.

"It's been no secret here," Quinn said of Souray's discontent and desire to be traded. "He's made it clear for a long time.

"I'm one of those guys that if you don't want to play here, don't screw around. Get the hell out."

Added Quinn: "If you have one guy sitting over there who doesn't bloody well want to be here, how do you build trust? How do you have a team? You don't. Sheldon knows how I feel about that sort of thing."

UPDATE: OILERS PICK FIRST!!!!

As per Oilers news release:

The Oilers have been awarded the first overall selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, being held in Los Angeles June 25-26, 2010.

The Oilers received the right to pick first overall when they won the NHL’s Draft Lottery, held Tuesday night in New York City.

“This is a significant moment for the organization and its an important part of the process moving forward. We have the first overall pick in this year’s draft,” Tambellini said. “This is a very exciting time for our organization and our fans. Securing the first overall draft selection tonight provides a tremendous opportunity for the Oilers."

The 2010 NHL Entry Draft will mark the first time in franchise history the Oilers will select first overall.

The Draft Lottery is a weighted lottery system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the NHL Entry Draft. It gives the teams that finish with the fewest points during the regular season the greatest chance of winning the Draft Lottery.

Only the 14 teams that do not qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or clubs that acquired those clubs’ first-round draft picks, participate in the drawing.

Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed in a lottery machine. The machine expels four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls is matched against a probability chart that divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs. The Lottery was incorporated in 1995 by the NHL.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#1 Matty31
April 13 2010, 05:02PM

TAMBO is definitely holding back and being diplomatic. He needs to concentrate all his positive energy into getting that #1 pick in an hour!!!

Mr Brownlee who should we pick???

OF NOTE....Patrick O'Sullivan was +2 in the Oilers 7-2 loss to the ducks. WTF?!?!?!?

#2 HOFFFF
April 13 2010, 05:04PM

The Oilers certainly sit back and say nothing. They always have to assess the hell out of everything. Maybe thats not such a bad thing, but when you just got ripped on by someone, you should be able to discuss it, retort, reply, scream holler, do whatever. But they have to take a few days and prepare proper statements. For once, show some passion.

#3 E-Mac
April 13 2010, 05:05PM

Hopefully we will land something of value in return. There is no chance of landing something even remotely as sexy, ...sigh.

#4 RossCreekNation
April 13 2010, 05:09PM

This team needs Pat Quinn as GM & Tom Renney as Coach.

**F-TAP - FireTambelliniAndPrendergast

#5 BigE91
April 13 2010, 05:09PM

A backhanded, off the cuff reaction at this point would only tie the Oilers hands further making Souray impossible to move, his value is minimal already.

Any chance he has now become a candidate for a buyout?

#6 GSC
April 13 2010, 05:14PM

Robin,

Are you taking the Kansas approach here ("Fight Fire with Fire")?

In my book, Tambi is in a damned if you, damned if you don't situation. If he comes off as too soft, he'll look spineless and it will show that the organization can be pushed around. If he comes off as too harsh, it projects the image that management really is arrogant and is the main culprit in the organization's problems. Either way, he's screwed and the return on Souray isn't going to be pretty.

I'm not sure what he can say that will defuse the situation...as Jack Ryan said in Clear and Present Danger, "There's no sense defusing a bomb after it's already gone off."

#9 Ender
April 13 2010, 05:30PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

This team needs Pat Quinn as GM & Tom Renney as Coach.

**F-TAP - FireTambelliniAndPrendergast

A-freakin'-men. Props.

#10 RossCreekNation
April 13 2010, 05:31PM

@Robin Brownlee

How much value does Souray have to the Rangers if there's any feeling MacTavish could be their next coach (it was stated today that Tortarella would be back, but who knows)?

How about Dallas, given their current ownership situation? Doesn't seem likely (although it makes sense from a hockey perspective).

Which turns me to St. Louis. After taking a step back this year and missing the playoffs, the Blues are gonna want to make a push to get back. With Kariya & Tkachuk coming off the books, they've got some cap room, too. They've also got a defenseman they'd like to move in Eric Brewer (1 yr left @ 4.25). I don't expect the return to be much higher than that... would the Oilers have interest?

#11 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
April 13 2010, 05:32PM

I don't really have a problem with Tambo's response, I don't see much point in having a public pissing match that turns into a he said, she said situation.

#12 Ender
April 13 2010, 05:37PM
GSC wrote:

Robin,

Are you taking the Kansas approach here ("Fight Fire with Fire")?

I think there's something to this statement. On top of that, perhaps Tambi didn't defend his lack of communication with Souray while in the hospital because there wasn't much to say. Quinn seems to indicate that there has been some bitterness surrounding Souray for some time. I've been in management for a number of years and while I don't claim to have written any books on the subject, I know there are some employees I would take flowers to in the hospital (and have) and other employees where my attitude is 'Meh. Let me know if he dies.' It's easy for Souray to paint the organization as uncaring, but perhaps he hasn't given them much to feel all snuggly about. If that's the case, the less Tambi says about it, the better. It serves no one's interests to get in a mudfight now.

#13 Petr's Jofa
April 13 2010, 05:41PM

Lottery odds...

25.0% - Edmonton Oilers

18.8% - Boston Bruins (from Toronto)

14.2% - Florida Panthers

10.7% - Columbus Blue Jackets

8.1% - New York Islanders

6.2% - Tampa Bay Lightning

4.7% - Carolina Hurricanes

3.6% - Atlanta Thrashers

2.7% - Minnesota Wild

2.1% - New York Rangers

1.5% - Dallas Stars

1.1% - Anaheim Ducks

0.8% - Calgary Flames

0.5% - St. Louis Blues

#14 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 05:42PM

I'm actually surprised Tambo released a statement this soon. You'd think he would have needed at least the summer to really evaluate the Souray quotes.

#15 Crust
April 13 2010, 05:43PM

Considering all the venom directed Souray's way, I doubt Tambellini feels any pressure to defend himself or management.

#16 GSC
April 13 2010, 05:44PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

I don't see the need for Tambellini to go off on Souray because that solves nothing, BUT, he should have either responded immediately to Souray's comments -- like when Spector asked for the Oilers side of the story -- or come up with a rebuttal with at least some teeth if he was going to wait. This response is both a day late and a dollar short.

As far the argument that a tougher response by Tambellini would only lessen Souray's value, that's dubious. Souray's injuries, his cap hit and his public trade request have diminished his value to next-to-nothing already.

I should have been clearer...a tougher response by Tambi might have the adverse effect of further swaying potential free agents away from signing in Edmonton. Too tough of a response adds fuel to the fire, making many believe that the management really is full of a bunch of arrogant pricks.

#17 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
April 13 2010, 05:45PM

@Ender

"he hasn't given them much to feel all snuggly about"

I try not to read too much into situations like this, but I've got to say when ever I seen Souray playing in person this year he looked completly disintersted. I would guess he's been a malcontent for a while.

#18 Slats
April 13 2010, 05:45PM

@RossCreekNation

at leaset Brewer and Souray have similar questionable histories in terms of health and are as sturdy as the $6.00 Man.

I would do that deal - at least Brewer comes to play if he can.

Also I think players in the league are able to sniff out what Souray is really trying to do and perhaps he got some bad agent advice but it was easy for him to push Edmonton management under the bus that many had already done before. In the end I think he loses though.

#19 Slats
April 13 2010, 05:54PM

Almost 600 Games lost to injury - yeah it sounds to me that the coaches were pushing people to play early! gimme a break.

Sheldon - "No NHL team likes a whiner" - good luck in KHL.

#20 The Real Scuba Steve
April 13 2010, 05:57PM
jeanshorts wrote:

No kidding, this is out of character for Tambo. lol

#21 JackBauer
April 13 2010, 05:58PM

I can totally see this organization turning into the maple leafs or the Islanders and becoming the long standing joke of the league.

#22 Milli
April 13 2010, 06:02PM

It's just about time...the misery begins to end tonight!!!

#23 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 06:09PM

Everyone please take a long, hard look at Taylor Hall. Is that really the face we want to be forever immortalized in bronze statue form outside of Daryl Katz's Super Arena®?

At least Seguin looks like an actual human being.

#24 Milli
April 13 2010, 06:11PM
jeanshorts wrote:

At least Seguin looks like an actual human being.

I was thinking the exact same thing!!!! FREAKY!!!

#25 magisterrex
April 13 2010, 06:16PM

Tambi made the right call. Refute without adding more fuel to the fire. Someone has to be the professional in this debacle.

#26 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 06:18PM

Seguin in a sharp looking suit. Hall in a golf shirt*.

INTERESTING.

*clearly a Tiger Woods fan which immediately brings his character into question.

#27 Jeremy

we won we won

#31 Petr's Jofa
April 13 2010, 06:20PM

EDMONTON WON SOMETHING!!!!

#32 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 06:21PM

WE DID IT! WE ACTUALLY WON SOMETHING!

#33 Ender
April 13 2010, 06:21PM

Very nice. Though I bet Tambi is cursing inside.

#34 Eddie Shore
April 13 2010, 06:21PM

GWASAHNTA;LKNASF!!! WE WON! I'M YELLING CUZ I'M HAPPY!!

#35 The Real Scuba Steve
April 13 2010, 06:23PM

Don't let Lowe hold on to it he will probably trade it for a bag of magic beans.

#36 Gerald R. Ford
April 13 2010, 06:23PM

Ah, THIS is what good news feels like!

#37 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 06:23PM

AND HE'S A FLAMES FAN??????????

Officially dislike Taylor Hall*

*Unless the Oilers draft him.

#38 Dave
April 13 2010, 06:24PM

Great feeling. Now how bad does Boston want Hall?

#39 Eddie Shore
April 13 2010, 06:24PM

Tambo had the tuck going on. I could tell by the smirk on his face. When does June start?

#40 Bombay
April 13 2010, 06:26PM

Everyone repeat after me.

We're number 1, we're number 1.

-Raises head smugly

#41 Bob Cob
April 13 2010, 06:27PM

Finally something goes right in Edmonton, now the decision begins. Bettman must be pissed.

#42 Pajamah
April 13 2010, 06:28PM

Now begins the inevitable discussion about how the Oilers will screw this pick up

I don't know who I would pick if I had the magnificent bastards job. Tough call

#43 jake
April 13 2010, 06:31PM

Did anyone just see that? Duthie just mentioned there was a problem with one of ping pong balls, they may do the lottery over...can't be...

just f&&kin with ya....ahahaha.......

#44 jeanshorts
April 13 2010, 06:32PM
Pajamah wrote:

I don't know who I would pick if I had the magnificent bastards job. Tough call

All I know is that the Oilers could really use a competent centre, and Taylor Hall is weird looking and likes the Flames. So, I mean really, case closed.

#45 Skidplate
April 13 2010, 06:34PM

I think we take Seguin. Book it.

#46 BarryS
April 13 2010, 06:37PM

Good to win one. Now to spend forever reading the posts from the chronic whiners already complaining about the pick before it is even made.

#47 Oilchange64
April 13 2010, 06:43PM

I think a public coin flip is the way to go.

#48 thednp
April 13 2010, 06:46PM

what the Oilers need to do now is look at making a trade to get another pick in the first round. Example - a deal for Cogs and another 2nd or 3rd round pick. Flip the newly acquired 1st rounder + other assets to acquire the 2nd overall pick as well. Lofty dream I know but I think you have to go all out trying to acquire that pick. And if nothing changes their mind and they really want Hall, then we need something from them to take Seguin and not Hall. Either way, Boston needs to pony up.

#49 Librarian Mike
April 13 2010, 06:47PM

FIRST!...err...

#50 JRyanMac
April 13 2010, 06:51PM

I'm with JS on this one, Seguin would be awesome, plus with Souray gone, we could never balance the teams Ugly Factor if we had Hall on the roster.. I would have commented sooner, but I had to go out and GHOST RIDE THE WHIP after we won the lotto.