Making it up: one year later

Robin Brownlee
April 15 2010 04:52AM

CONFIRMATION

-- Steve Tambellini, April 14, 2010

"It's been no secret that Sheldon wants out of Edmonton.

"I've had numerous meetings with him over the last year, I would say, mostly all revolving around the fact he wants to be traded.

"Sheldon asked us for a trade, it would be about a year ago. I believe it was last spring the first time I heard that from him."

DENIAL II

-- Edmonton Journal, April 24, 2009

"Sheldon Souray doesn't know how or where the story started that he wanted out of Edmonton, but it's got the legs of Andrew Cogliano.

Souray, who has one of the NHL's most wicked slappers, shot it down Thursday before speaking to a team of local novice hockey players who won a dinner and Q & A with the Oilers defenseman in Scotiabank's national initiative to salute the kids.

"I've been getting phone calls from here ... my mum called me to ask about it. Who knows where it's coming from?" said Souray, who has three years left on his Oilers contract and says he's had no conversations with general manager Steve Tambellini.

Souray's children live in Los Angeles with their mother, which might have fuelled the trade-me speculation, but when he signed here in 2007, he said he was over the moon to be coming home to play for the team he idolized as a kid.

"Our stalls aren't even cold yet," he said. "I'm not worrying about it (the rumour). I don't think it deserves talking about. It doesn't deserve a no or deserve a yes. It's fodder for the media.

"If it was something I was feeling, I wouldn't voice it through the media anyway." Souray, who represented the Oilers in the all-star game and finished with 23 goals and 53 points, has been through coach firings before in Montreal. It always stings. There's always questions in a hockey city, because people care 

"For some guys, it affects them differently but, for me, I've been down this road. The grass isn't always greener. Sometimes a change can be positive. We'll see how it works out." Souray only had MacTavish for two years. He got along well with him. Was he a players' coach? "I'm not really sure. I wasn't here long enough to make that assessment, but he was always fair with me. Some players would say he was a players' coach, some of them might say he's a non-communicator," said Souray. 

DENIAL

-- Tambellini, April 15, 2009

"No," said Tambellini, when asked if any Oilers players had requested a trade.

CAN'T LOCK IT DOWN

-- Brownlee, Oilersnation, April 15, 2009

"Like I said earlier, this is a rumour and nothing more at this point. To discount it completely would be foolish, but it’s also premature to take it as fact and start working out trade possibilities. The rumour, and the fact Souray has been separated from his kids, plus the fact he didn’t talk to the media Monday are all bits and pieces. Do they add up to him requesting a trade? Maybe. Maybe not. All we can do is ask Tambellini if the request has been made.

"If I had it firm from Souray or anybody else, I wouldn’t be burying the item at the bottom of the story. It would be the story."

THE ORIGINAL ITEM

-- Brownlee, Oilersnation, April 14, 2009

"Perhaps one of the reasons Souray didn't make himself available to reporters Monday is he didn't want to address speculation that he's asked Tambellini for a trade.

"Rumours Souray has asked to be dealt began several weeks ago and they've persisted since. To this point, neither Souray or anybody in the Oilers front office has gone on the record to put the talk to rest. Until that happens, and there's a flat-out denial from one of the parties, this has legs. Stay tuned."

UPDATE: THE INSIDE TRACK

I've been meaning to slip in an item about some of the reporters and media outlets who cover the Oilers for awhile now, so I'll add it to this one, given the topic. With the proliferation of websites and the many existing MSM outlets where information and opinion is available on the Oilers, there's a lot to choose from.

For what it's worth, here's my list of places to look if you really want to know what's going on with the team, if you want real insight or if you just like great writing or commentary.

THE MSM

-- Bob Stauffer, 630 CHED and Oilers Lunch on TEAM 1260. The most connected guy in the city here and now, and it's not even close. Those buying the popular stance he's gone soft since leaving his popular afternoon drive-time show to work for the Oilers really aren't paying attention. Way ahead of the pack, always.

-- Dan Barnes, Edmonton Journal. I feared getting beat by him when I first signed on to cover the Oilers and I still wake up every morning expecting he'll write about something I don't know. He often does.

-- Jason Gregor, TEAM 1260. Don't let the fact Gregor lets me co-host his show twice a week dupe you into thinking he's not that sharp. He is. Lots of contacts.

-- Jim Matheson. When Matty poses a question in The Journal, he usually already knows the answer.  There isn't a coach, GM, scout or player in the league who won't step aside from the scrum and spend time huddled with Matty. He can sit on stuff for weeks and still beat other people to the punch.

THE BLOG WORLD

-- Lowetide. Great insight. Common sense. If you want takes and projections based on numbers as well as real-world perspective, Mitchell is the guy.

-- Black Dog Hates Skunks. Wind your way through the boozing, broads and Family Guy stuff, which is all wonderfully written, and there's a lot of meat on this website.

-- David Staples, Cult of Hockey (The Journal). Staples is a damn good news reporter and writer who also happens to be a fan of the Oilers. That's an interesting mix. His love of goofy nicknames and his diddling with real statistics aside, Staples has been bookmarked on my laptop for a long time.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#201 Eddie Shore
April 15 2010, 05:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
baggedmilk wrote:

Just drink the kool-aid, follow the comet and finish the job. You're ignoring something about the weather you dildo.

Chicago... Cold Detroit... Cold and sh*tty Calgary... Cold Montreal... Cold

Yes Edmonton may have a month of colder weather that a Detroit or Chicago. It's not like the weather drops 803 degrees driving three hours North of Calgary.

You're putting way too much emphasis on the weather and not enough of the team being garbage, or the management acting like tools. Yeah weather is a factor, but as Detroit ices a competitive product year after year, it's proof that winning is more important that a sunny/pretty city.

St. Louis asked for a trade from Tampa today, I guess it snows there too. Get over it. Although I agree with you that weather is a factor, it's not as big as you're making it out to be. Come on, use your head, would you want to play somewhere where the team sucks year after year?

Shut up already, how many times can you "prove" that it's the cold, snowy tundra that is ruining our chances at UFAs.

Exactly. However it seems we have a catch 22. We can't attract any good players because we don't win and we don't win because we don't have good players. Tambo said it right yesterday; The team needs develop it's prospects and once the team becomes more and more competitive more and more quality ufa's will sign here.

Avatar
#202 Deep Oil
April 15 2010, 06:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Exactly. However it seems we have a catch 22. We can't attract any good players because we don't win and we don't win because we don't have good players. Tambo said it right yesterday; The team needs develop it's prospects and once the team becomes more and more competitive more and more quality ufa's will sign here.

Ummm, baggedmilk just thought you might want to look at this

Only Siberia was colder | Edmonton | News | Edmonton SunOnly Siberia was colder. Edmonton was the chilliest place in North America ... On an average day, wait times for a tow would be an hour and less than an ... www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/12/.../12141366.html - Cached

Is this the reason Khabibulin was rehabbing in Scottsdale, a bad back, a ferrari, bottle of wine, and a cell phone that Nick through against the wall because he was so drunk and could not operate the device for his one phone call (allegedy) - as per the arrest report, he ended up calling a friend, instead of criminal lawyer. Note to Nick, next time don't provide a voluntary roadside sobriety test, you can tell the cop that you decline. Next chapter MAY 11 - Sheriff Joe has a bed for you.

Truth vs Management Propaganda

Tambo during your tenure, who has dissed the city that was on your payroll, counting Heatley is not valid, as he was on your wishlist, or should I say beglist.

Tambo (Iraqi Information Officer), your telling me that 75% of your team was actually in hospital last year, any reporter wishing to confirm the names of the 17 players that visited the infirmary.

The next time you, klowe or your owner hop on your private jet for face time with a prima dona, I mean UFA remember the love you left at home..... sounds like a bad cell phone contract commercial.

I just call smoke and mirrors that you sat on Souray for 6 months healthy and the next 6 in LTIR pergatory, face it this debacle on the front page is your fault, call this asset mismanagement gone nuclear.

Tambellini's temper tantrum is so last year, remember when you point a finger, there are three pointing back, last year it was anger towards MacTavish, now the anger has been positioned to overpaid self righteuous hcokey players that want out..... who will it be next year, the training staff ?

Anyone supporting the oilers on how they handled Souray is drinking the kool aid of excuses.

I expect to see Tambellini on TSN for the lottery draft next year.

Same old Same Old - No Playoffs, Spread The Blame - did at anytime did Tambellini take any blame himself and state he could do better, must of missed that Anthony Robins speech.

Avatar
#203 Bombay
April 15 2010, 06:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Crash

Our little debate provides me with good entertainment, so I'll keep it going.

My post in the previous article about powerplay versus even-strength goals was not intended to detract from Hall's willingness to engage physically. I used that stat to show that Seguin shouldn't be dismissed as a soft perimiter player. Soft perimiter players usually get their points from the powerplay, no? Now I will reiterate again that this is not a slight against Hall, but rather an argument that Seguin isn't as soft as you think him to be. He gets the majority of his goal scoring 5 on 5, which suggests that he has what it takes to go the net.

I would also argue that the Oilers DO have players both on the current roster and in their system that aren't afraid to work in dirty areas. I believe from what I've heard that Svensson has both the size, speed, and ability to drive the net and get some dirty goals. We know that despite his size, Eberle also isn't afraid to play around the net and get himself into good goal-scoring positions. And I would say that Brule really drives the net and plays physical, and Penner does have a nose for the net when he feels like it. As for Hemsky, I know he can get a hard time around here, but I personally feel he doesn't often shy away from physical play. That's not to say he throws his weight around, but he's not scared of anybody either. So your argument of the Oilers needing someone to be physical and drive the net over a center with size isn't as sound as you think it is.

Now, I do concede that Hall is obviously a more proven player in pressure situations. That point goes to Hall no doubt. But if Hall and Seguin were to switch teams, would be it be so clear cut? I don't think so. You also asked how many points Seguin had in the world juniors. I'll ask you this: How many points did Hall have in HIS first world juniors? What's that? He didn't make the team? Oh.

One final point I wish to debate with you. You keep saying Hall has three proven seasons to Seguin's one. Well, I'll remined you again that he's played one less year than Hall, and the first half of the first season, Seguin wasn't on the first line. As soon as there was a coaching change and Seguin was put on the first line, he has produced just as well as Hall.

So eat that Crash, and choke on it!! ;)

Avatar
#204 Team Dean
April 15 2010, 06:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

No I didn't. But then again, I wasn't saying Seguin didn't play well. From what I heard, he had a 20 year old basically in his back pocket the entire series so I'm not really surprised he didn't light it up.

I find it slightly amusing that everyone is giving takes on who is the better player (Hall/Seguin) when the majority of the people have seen probably 5 games combined between the two. Basically it comes down to the fact that people have seen Hall (WJC) play and haven't seen Seguin play. If the scouts have him neck and neck with Hall you can bet there are reasons for it.

Ya, but the point remains, in that series with Windsor, Seguin didnt put up one point. Not one. It doesn't matter that he had a worse team, harder coverage, its junior. Junior. How is he going to fare in the NHL when the junior coverage was too much for him in the playoffs. I think Hall is a better player now. It's pretty hard to read the future...

Avatar
#205 Crash
April 15 2010, 07:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

@ Crash

Our little debate provides me with good entertainment, so I'll keep it going.

My post in the previous article about powerplay versus even-strength goals was not intended to detract from Hall's willingness to engage physically. I used that stat to show that Seguin shouldn't be dismissed as a soft perimiter player. Soft perimiter players usually get their points from the powerplay, no? Now I will reiterate again that this is not a slight against Hall, but rather an argument that Seguin isn't as soft as you think him to be. He gets the majority of his goal scoring 5 on 5, which suggests that he has what it takes to go the net.

I would also argue that the Oilers DO have players both on the current roster and in their system that aren't afraid to work in dirty areas. I believe from what I've heard that Svensson has both the size, speed, and ability to drive the net and get some dirty goals. We know that despite his size, Eberle also isn't afraid to play around the net and get himself into good goal-scoring positions. And I would say that Brule really drives the net and plays physical, and Penner does have a nose for the net when he feels like it. As for Hemsky, I know he can get a hard time around here, but I personally feel he doesn't often shy away from physical play. That's not to say he throws his weight around, but he's not scared of anybody either. So your argument of the Oilers needing someone to be physical and drive the net over a center with size isn't as sound as you think it is.

Now, I do concede that Hall is obviously a more proven player in pressure situations. That point goes to Hall no doubt. But if Hall and Seguin were to switch teams, would be it be so clear cut? I don't think so. You also asked how many points Seguin had in the world juniors. I'll ask you this: How many points did Hall have in HIS first world juniors? What's that? He didn't make the team? Oh.

One final point I wish to debate with you. You keep saying Hall has three proven seasons to Seguin's one. Well, I'll remined you again that he's played one less year than Hall, and the first half of the first season, Seguin wasn't on the first line. As soon as there was a coaching change and Seguin was put on the first line, he has produced just as well as Hall.

So eat that Crash, and choke on it!! ;)

I'm not going to rehash everything for you again so I'll just keep it recent.

Simply put when faced with a pressure situation and a head to head battle with Hall, Seguin crapped the bed completely...he was negated in a junior series....he didn't play well defensively and he offered up NO offense...so in effect when the games became more important and he was faced with a challenge he FAILED to deliver ANYTHING, nada, zip, not even a single secondary assist....he disappeared from the radar. I don't care what position he plays if the guy cracks under pressure then what good is he? Maybe there's a good reason he was an early cut from the world jr team....in any event to me Hall is more of a sure thing and I'd rather not gamble with this pick.

I'm not sure what you're asking as to how many points did Hall have in his first world jr's...but the answer is 12...just happened a few months ago if you remember...if you're trying to point out that he didn't play on the world jr team in his 1st season...it's most likely that having just turned 16 he had too many 19 yr olds ahead of him....NO ONE makes the world junior team at age 16.

The fact that Seguin has played one less year in the OHL than Hall and that they are both virtually the same age should at least tell you something but I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

As I mentioned to you already..it's not just me that has said that the Oilers lack guys who like to get greasy and drive the net...the present coach and previous coach have said the same thing...maybe you should let them know that they actually do have all these guys you say that do it.

Oh and by the way I'm not really one for disrespecting people or name calling on this site unless talked down to first...so I wanted to point out that you were the 1st one to use the "eat that" phrase when this debate started and now you've thrown in the choke on it phrase. That's very impressive.

Avatar
#206 TigerUnderGlass
April 15 2010, 08:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The fact that Seguin has played one less year in the OHL than Hall and that they are both virtually the same age should at least tell you something but I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

Did it tell you that it's because Seguin was born in '92 and Hall was born in '91?

Avatar
#207 Crash
April 15 2010, 08:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
The fact that Seguin has played one less year in the OHL than Hall and that they are both virtually the same age should at least tell you something but I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

Did it tell you that it's because Seguin was born in '92 and Hall was born in '91?

Do you realize that there are actually 12 months in a year and that being born in Nov of 91 compared to Jan of 92 isn't really a year apart and is more like 2 1/2 months?

Avatar
#208 TigerUnderGlass
April 15 2010, 08:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Do you realize that there are actually 12 months in a year and that being born in Nov of 91 compared to Jan of 92 isn't really a year apart and is more like 2 1/2 months?

No kidding. Thanks for the math, but the calendar year is the reason Seguin has a year less of junior.

I'm with you on the track record argument, because Hall has a vastly superior history to date, but your veiled point about Seguin playing a year less of junior is not really a valid one.

Avatar
#209 TigerUnderGlass
April 15 2010, 08:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

The above is the reason why professional sports favors athletes born in the early part of the year.

Sorry, I would have just added this to my last comment but apparently I didn't log in.

Avatar
#210 Bombay
April 15 2010, 08:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Tiger

We'll leave that to him "to figure out.".

And the first time Hall was invited to the World Junior's camp, he was 17, and he didn't make it. Seguin too was 17 this year, and he didn't make it.

Just for the record, I think Hall has certain aspects to his game that make him a better option, but the same goes for Seguin. Whoever the Oilers pick, I'll be confident that we picked a superstar, because I'm a fan and I always believe in this team, even when we finish last. But what it really boils down to is that having Seguin and Gagner as a 1, 2 combo is a good way to start building a championship team. Gregor himself has written articles that show being strong up the middle is a key ingredient to winning it all. Plus, we already have Penner and Svenson at LW. Those are two power forward type players, thus leaving less room for Hall than there is for Seguin. Regardless, I enjoyed our debate. It's all in good fun, right...

Despite the fact that you insinuated I have disrespected you or used name calling. This after telling Tiger that because of the smilie faces in our posts, there was no malice. Seems a bit contradictory. And if anything, the tone of your posts have been much more aggressive than mine. But whatever, that's probably just your personality, so I take no offense.

Peace

Avatar
#211 Crash
April 15 2010, 08:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

No kidding. Thanks for the math, but the calendar year is the reason Seguin has a year less of junior.

I'm with you on the track record argument, because Hall has a vastly superior history to date, but your veiled point about Seguin playing a year less of junior is not really a valid one.

Are you saying Seguin was ineligible for junior because of his January birthdate? If so I was unaware of it...I don't know what the eligibility rules for major junior are. I just figured because they were both NHL draft eligible the same year that they were both OHL eligible at the same time.

If that's true then I agree it's unfair to say that Hall made it into junior before Seguin.

But I'm still on the Team Hall bandwagon.

Avatar
#212 Crash
April 15 2010, 08:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

@Tiger

We'll leave that to him "to figure out.".

And the first time Hall was invited to the World Junior's camp, he was 17, and he didn't make it. Seguin too was 17 this year, and he didn't make it.

Just for the record, I think Hall has certain aspects to his game that make him a better option, but the same goes for Seguin. Whoever the Oilers pick, I'll be confident that we picked a superstar, because I'm a fan and I always believe in this team, even when we finish last. But what it really boils down to is that having Seguin and Gagner as a 1, 2 combo is a good way to start building a championship team. Gregor himself has written articles that show being strong up the middle is a key ingredient to winning it all. Plus, we already have Penner and Svenson at LW. Those are two power forward type players, thus leaving less room for Hall than there is for Seguin. Regardless, I enjoyed our debate. It's all in good fun, right...

Despite the fact that you insinuated I have disrespected you or used name calling. This after telling Tiger that because of the smilie faces in our posts, there was no malice. Seems a bit contradictory. And if anything, the tone of your posts have been much more aggressive than mine. But whatever, that's probably just your personality, so I take no offense.

Peace

Actually your post in the debate was the 1st one and ended in the eat that phrase which did turn up the heat a bit...

As far as being contradictory I actually did think that there was no malice until you threw in the choke on it phrase...that kind of sealed it for me that there actually was malice intended.

But it's not really a big deal or I likely would have responded again in a similar fashion...

In any event the debate will rage on for some time to come

As far as Penner goes...I have a feeling we'll only have him for 2 more years or maybe even less...someone else stated that this team pretty much needs everything...I do believe that if the Oilers wanted...Hall could play center as he's played it all his life up until junior

Avatar
#213 TigerUnderGlass
April 15 2010, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Seguin was drafted the next year after Hall because 2007 was his 15 year old season even though he's only a couple months younger.

There has been quite a bit written on this issue over the years because minor sports favors kids born in the first part of the year.

I think JW even wrote something about it a while back.

Avatar
#214 Bombay
April 15 2010, 08:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Please know that there was no malice intended whatsoever. I'm not that kind of person at all. Sorry if it came over that way. By next year, and after selecting Hall or Seguin, both of us will be so pleased with how he's playing that there will never be any malice on this site again, imagined or otherwise. ;)

As for Penner, I'm pretty hopeful that he resigns. It was pretty obvious from this year that Quinn liked him, and if the team improves like I think it will in the next two years, I'm confident a deal can get done.

Avatar
#215 Crash
April 15 2010, 09:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

Please know that there was no malice intended whatsoever. I'm not that kind of person at all. Sorry if it came over that way. By next year, and after selecting Hall or Seguin, both of us will be so pleased with how he's playing that there will never be any malice on this site again, imagined or otherwise. ;)

As for Penner, I'm pretty hopeful that he resigns. It was pretty obvious from this year that Quinn liked him, and if the team improves like I think it will in the next two years, I'm confident a deal can get done.

I really do hope that both players wind up being great players and most likely they will...I guess that's why there is such a big debate about the two...

I am the same as you..an Oiler fan through and through in good times and bad and I just want this pick to turn out very badly...

I hope you're right and we'll all end up being extremely happy after we get our guy...I only hope there aren't people who are on one side or the other that are too harsh on whoever it is we end up with.

I too would like to see Penner resign...Hemsky too...

Good to know there was no malice intended...I guess I get a little on edge as some people on here really do turn this site into a battle ground at times and I find myself in defense mode most of the time....it's hard at times to tell who is kidding around and who isn't.

Cheers

Avatar
#216 Bombay
April 15 2010, 09:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Well it's good to see that you would like to keep Hemsky and Penner. When I see so many comments on here about trading those guys, I have to give my head a shake. In my opinion it would be stupid to trade away our two most proven forwards. Let's see what they can do with the young guys next year. I mean, they can always be traded next year if it doesn't look like it's working out. But I firmly believe that with some really high- end prospects playing with Penner and Hemsky over the next two years, this team can be really exciting to watch, which would hopefully in turn lead to some success.

I guess I just don't understand trading away a near point per game player in Hemsky and a 30 goal scorer in Penner for draft picks that might or might not turn out. Let's not forget we do need to ice a team next year. It can't be composed entirely of first year players.

Avatar
#217 Team Hall
April 15 2010, 09:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Here's something for you Oilfans to think about - the 2007 draft, end of the season rankings, CSS had Turris ranked 1, Kane 2.......and now you know... the rest of the story.

Paul Harvey

Avatar
#218 Crash
April 15 2010, 10:07PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

Well it's good to see that you would like to keep Hemsky and Penner. When I see so many comments on here about trading those guys, I have to give my head a shake. In my opinion it would be stupid to trade away our two most proven forwards. Let's see what they can do with the young guys next year. I mean, they can always be traded next year if it doesn't look like it's working out. But I firmly believe that with some really high- end prospects playing with Penner and Hemsky over the next two years, this team can be really exciting to watch, which would hopefully in turn lead to some success.

I guess I just don't understand trading away a near point per game player in Hemsky and a 30 goal scorer in Penner for draft picks that might or might not turn out. Let's not forget we do need to ice a team next year. It can't be composed entirely of first year players.

Now we're talkin'...Myself, I wait until the Oilers are eligible to extend both players...then if at that point they can't get them signed then yes move them for something...

I agree having Penner and Hemsky to play with our up and comers could be fun to watch...and being a season ticket holder I really don't want to watch a team full of pluggers and 1st year players

Avatar
#219 Crash
April 15 2010, 10:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Team Hall wrote:

Here's something for you Oilfans to think about - the 2007 draft, end of the season rankings, CSS had Turris ranked 1, Kane 2.......and now you know... the rest of the story.

Paul Harvey

Very interesting

But CSS could never be wrong could they?

Avatar
#220 Bombay
April 15 2010, 10:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I think it's a good time to be a season ticket holder. If nothin else, the team should be fast and able to score. Well, at least more than this year. I mean, they can only improve, right?

And the more I think about getting Hall or Seguin, the more excited I get. I wasn't even born when the Oilers were in the glory days, so I've never seen a superstar in Oiler silks. This is our first genuine shot at a potential superstar in many many years, so I for one am quite happy we finished last! Ha ha

Avatar
#221 Eddie Shore
April 15 2010, 10:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Team Dean wrote:

Ya, but the point remains, in that series with Windsor, Seguin didnt put up one point. Not one. It doesn't matter that he had a worse team, harder coverage, its junior. Junior. How is he going to fare in the NHL when the junior coverage was too much for him in the playoffs. I think Hall is a better player now. It's pretty hard to read the future...

How does it not matter?

If the players switched teams do you still think Seguin has 0 points?

Avatar
#222 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
April 16 2010, 07:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Very interesting

But CSS could never be wrong could they?

if you look at the top 2 picks over the last 10 years, their track record is really good.

always 110% right? nope valuable resource? yup

Avatar
#223 SkinnyD
April 16 2010, 10:44AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Not sure what JW referenced for the January birthdate thing, but if you want an interesting read on the subject, go pick up 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell. It is a real phenomenon...and I'm sure Oilers Management is well aware of it. So, if we pick Seguin and send him back to Junior, and he gets even more points on the same crappy team, does that mean he's better than Hall?

Either way it's still a crapshoot. Nothing's ever guaranteed. I'm completely (and happily) on the fence.

Unless there's an attitude issue, no reason to trade Penner - he's not dealing with injuries. If anything - if he shows next year he's on the same good path, sign him to an extension. Hemsky, however, has had the same shoulder surgery as Horcoff (from what I understand). Meaning that we can expect a sub-part season from him this year, and then the following year is his contract year - where he'll probably have a career year, then get the hell out as a UFA. Trade him now...we could get a lot for him and be better off in the long run. Especially if Brownlee's hunches are correct concerning his state of mind...

Avatar
#224 Team Dean
April 16 2010, 11:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

How does it not matter?

If the players switched teams do you still think Seguin has 0 points?

I should clarify. What I meant was, Seguins having a poor team is not an excuse for getting shut out of an important playoff series. When he comes to the Oilers he will have a poor team, but will still be expected to put up points. I mean, if the players switched teams, Hall would have at least put up a point.

Avatar
#225 SkinnyD
April 16 2010, 12:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Team Dean wrote:

I should clarify. What I meant was, Seguins having a poor team is not an excuse for getting shut out of an important playoff series. When he comes to the Oilers he will have a poor team, but will still be expected to put up points. I mean, if the players switched teams, Hall would have at least put up a point.

...and you know this because...

Avatar
#226 Team Hall
April 16 2010, 01:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
SkinnyD wrote:

...and you know this because...

Because I got out my flux capacitor. No, I'm just pushing Hall so much because everyone in this city seems to have decided that Seguin is the man for the job, and I want the Oilers brass to think long and harder about this one. I'm being a contrarion just to get under the skin of the Seguinites.

Avatar
#227 SkinnyD
April 16 2010, 01:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Team Hall wrote:

Because I got out my flux capacitor. No, I'm just pushing Hall so much because everyone in this city seems to have decided that Seguin is the man for the job, and I want the Oilers brass to think long and harder about this one. I'm being a contrarion just to get under the skin of the Seguinites.

Very nice. Good form!

Avatar
#228 Vic Ferrari
April 17 2010, 04:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

This "bagged milk" kid is a tedious little bugger, isn't he. I suppose he's the prototypical internet tough guy, and this is the age we live in.

Still ... sheesh. Someone should tell his mom. Seriously, if you know his mom, let her know. It's for his own good. Bless him.

Avatar
#229 Vic Ferrari
April 17 2010, 04:34PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Robin,

Personally I hold you to a higher standard than most of the local guys, Stauffer as well, though that ship has sailed.

There is no sport in mocking Staples for an idiotic observation regarding gameplan. Hell, it would be a full time job if one were foolish enough to read all of his stuff. He's a clinical idiot. The fact that he has a long history of being a douchebag just makes the insults roll out more freely. Nothing more or less.

I'm not patrolling the Oiler fan idiot fence, so far it's separated the population of Oiler fans organically, and I'm cool with that. But what is it about Staples writing that draws you in? Can you explain how much he's taught you about the game of hockey at the pro level? I;m a Stalesciple too, Robin, sparkling insight from that cat. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from another credible source.

A Robin Brownlee article entitled: 'Things David Staples Taught Me About Hockey' would be great. I think your readers here would enjoy it also.

Avatar
#230 Robin Brownlee
April 17 2010, 11:17PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Vic Ferrari

I don't know if David has taught me anything, but I find the fan/reporter hybrid interesting and he's always dicking around with his errors and "real" plus-minus, which often gets me thinking. I like that, even though I disagree with many of the conclusions he draws.

He also gets the occasional inside stuff on the Czech players because of Peter Adler, who used to be a desker at The Journal and was the unofficial Czech welcome wagon for many years.

And, like I said, I've always considered him a very solid news reporter.

Comments are closed for this article.