Tambellini On Khabibulin

Jonathan Willis
April 15 2010 06:33PM

Edmonton Oilers v Colorado Avalanche

After this past season, the Oilers have plenty of reasons to be less than thrilled with last summer’s acquisition of Nikolai Khabibulin.

After all, in training camp the team discovered that Khabibulin has dehydration issues, issues which had come up in the past but which they were unaware of.

After playing 18 games at a reasonable level (Khabibulin was neither brilliant nor brutal, and his 0.909 SV% was a fair bit better than Jeff Deslauriers’ 0.901) Khabibulin suffered a back injury which required surgery, ending his season. Khabibulin had missed an average of about 20 games per season since the lockout, a number he tripled this season.

Of course, that wasn’t the end of it. In February, Khabibulin was arrested after being pulled over, allegedly for going 70 MPH in a 45 MPH zone, after which he couldn’t provide proof of insurance and failed a sobriety test. He’s since been charged with “extreme” DUI for having a blood alcohol level more than twice the legal limit and if convicted will face a minimum prison sentence with no eligibility for probation or suspension.

Fortunately for Khabibulin, none of that appears to have affected Steve Tambellini’s view of the veteran goaltender. Tambellini praised Khabibulin as “a good teammate” and said that the Oilers needed the kind of leadership he could provide. Two excerpts from Tambellini’s end of season press conference: 

“The player that was going to be our MVP, Nikolai Khabibulin…” 
“With Nik, Nik is a person that when you do the research on him he has a great reputation. I talked to Jason Strudwick in the year end meetings, and he talked about sitting next to Nik, and recognizing what a great teammate he is, just as a person. He’s won a Stanley Cup, we need people that have that type of experience. He has a reputation when you talk to the Manitoba Moose of what Nik was like with the young goaltenders, and how he helped them, and tutored them, and gave them confidence. He’s not one of those goaltenders that will push the other people away from his net, to make sure they don’t get the net. He’s a good teammate; we need that type of leadership. If we’re going to be a little bit younger in the next couple of years, we want someone like that, that gives them a chance to develop, that gives the team a chance to have some confidence that there’s some stability back there.”

There’s a lot of uncertainty about the Oilers going forward, but if Tambellini is to be believed, Khabibulin isn’t one of the question marks. He’ll be retained to provide veteran leadership and a stabilizing presence in net, and the Oilers will just take their chances that he’s healthy.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3
Jonathan Willis is a freelance writer. He currently works for Oilers Nation, Sportsnet, the Edmonton Journal and Bleacher Report. He's co-written three books and worked for myriad websites, including Grantland, ESPN, The Score, and Hockey Prospectus. He was previously the founder and managing editor of Copper & Blue.
Avatar
#1 Bombay
April 15 2010, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers

We could have a future Stanley cup winner first-line center if you would just change your name. ;)

And I am also a supporter of Khabi. It's my opinion that Quinn should shoulder some of the blame for how our aging goalie's season went. He overplayed him, plain and simple. An older goalie like that with a history of back problems should be playing less than 3 out of 4 games. Quinn had him playing like 6 ou of 7 if my memory serves me. But I'm confident that Khabi will have a bounce back year next year. Let's not forget that when healthy the last two years, he's been very good.

Avatar
#2 Jason Gregor
April 15 2010, 11:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Team Hall:

After -hours indiscretions aside, he is the most proven commodity on the Oilers, and the least of our worries.

Seriously?

Injury concerns alone mean that Khabibulin's a constant worry, even if he plays at his optimal level the entire time he's under contract.

Players that old who average 20ish games per season on the injured list are always cause for concern.

And that's leaving aside his less than stellar performance over four seasons in Chicago, and talent, and afterhours issues. That's just health.

Players that old who average 20ish games per season on the injured list are always cause for concern.

Just curious how you think he averages 20 games a season on the IR.

Games played in a season once he became the true starter in year three...

72, 70, 63, 70, 65, 55, 50,60,50, 42 and 18.

The last two years he's been hurt, but the 42 in Chicago, they still split time with Huet. If healthy no way he would have played more than 55...

Are you suggesting he should play 70 games every year?

His health is a concern, but the Oilers don't need him to play 70 games. They need to play their back up 25 games and maybe more in the final two years of Khabibulin's contract.

And his salary at $3.75 million is very good if he plays 55 games.

Another year like this past season and of course it kills the team, but his injury did help the Oilers get playing time for both kids, which wouldn't have happened if he was healthy.

Not the ideal plan of course, but it did work out.

And people can't argue that if he was healthy then the Oilers wouldn't lose one of the goalies, because if he did play the 60 games people wanted then Deslauriers would have become a group IV UFA and could have walked for nothing if he wanted to.

Avatar
#3 Crash
April 15 2010, 10:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

With our goaltending situation...call it crazy but I think that Dubnyk has what it takes to soon be a solid #1 starter..

He has the calm cool demeaner that is needed and it seems he has discovered his positioning quite well..not to mention he's a big guy...

His numbers over his last 8 games are outstanding...IMO he's our next number one and it'll be soon...2 yrs as the backup and then it's his if not sooner.

If the Oilers try to get him thru waivers I'll bet he'll be gone...

Avatar
#4 David S
April 16 2010, 12:28AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

It seems to make sense to me that if Khabby is as fragile as some think, then we need to get an NHL caliber backup goalie. I'm sure JDD and DD are nice guys and all, but c'mon.

Avatar
#5 Deaner
April 16 2010, 01:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Team Hall wrote:

I like your swagger, Bombay. My problem is, I'm not sold that Seguin is the second coming of Yzerman that Matheson seems to think. 2007, CSS ranks Turris #1 in there end of the season rankings. Kane ranked #2. Good thing Chicago disagreed with the rankings that year...

Turris was ranked #3 by the ISS and Kane #1

Avatar
#6 KenMcC
April 16 2010, 03:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

My comments attacking management are not based on Souray. They are based on Tambilini's speeches and press conferences and his decisions going back a year or so.

It bothers me that the bulk of his words are about getting better players but he goes out and gets a liability in net instead (compared to Rollie). It bothers me that his idea of an Oiler seems to best describe Horcoff and Pisani and is bereft of any requirement for skill.

Can you imagine Penner's thoughts (one of the few players with improved stats this year) when Tambillini threw a swipe at players who had more goals this year but who didn't think their team was any good? He needs to learn about true leadership. A leader doesn't hang blame on the playersvwho actually improved.

It bothers me that he refuses to accept the very accountability he wants from his players. And, I think he needs to acknowledge the inescapable human trait that playing on a losing team at the very bottom makes "coming to work" not fun. He has staffed this team with 3rd line NHLers and a bunch of players who Can't win games in the AHL. Thankfully ther are a dew second line calibre players also. Maybe I'm wrong and we have a Ken Holland GM in the making.

It's true that attitude counts -- I just don't think Tambillini's is any good.

Avatar
#7 Ender
April 16 2010, 08:52AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

Ogden Brother Jr. wrote:

As for the whole impaired I still can't believe people bring it up. This is the first time the guy has had one and he made a mistake. We live in a society that gives killers another chance so lets give our goalie a second chance.

Khabibulin is a killer. Became one the second he climbed behind the wheel. The only thing that separates him from someone convicted of manslaughter is dumb luck and maybe the cop who caught him before he got any further down the road. Being caught out of position is a mistake you forgive a goalie for. Drinking and driving isn't a mistake; it's more dangerous and stupid than passing out razorblades in the sandbox.

Avatar
#8 Sandra
April 15 2010, 06:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If Nik is good friends with Debrusk, maybe they can take on the Army & Navy store together and win this time.

Avatar
#9 KenMcC
April 15 2010, 08:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Tamboner, with great clarity, described the type of player he is looking to have on the Oilers. Yesterday's interview(s) make it clear he wants 20 Shawn Horcoff clones, players who know what it means to be an Oiler (whatever the he'll that is these days).

He wants players who love to come to practice and to the games. He wants players that don't speak I'll of their team, nor do they care about their stats (-28 anyone?).

Above all he wants players who are accountable - they look to their own shortcomings and strive to do whatever it takes to be better

Oh, and, also, umm, nobody ever dare look at coaching or management as having a shortcoming. Just keep yer head down and yer yap shut and take it.

Oh Home on the Range, where the . . .

In my experience in this highly mobile workforce we call Alberta, the managers who succeed are those that make use of all their employees or contractors, not just the ones who have brown sshhht all over their nose.

Of course, maybe the NHL is different - maybe it isn't a highly mobile workforce. Maybe their are enough Horcoff's to fill a roster AND go deep into the playoffs.

Avatar
#10 jeanshorts
April 15 2010, 08:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So........ we're probably not getting Corey Schneider out of Vancouver then?

Avatar
#11 dragon
April 15 2010, 09:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
KenMcC wrote:

Tamboner, with great clarity, described the type of player he is looking to have on the Oilers. Yesterday's interview(s) make it clear he wants 20 Shawn Horcoff clones, players who know what it means to be an Oiler (whatever the he'll that is these days).

He wants players who love to come to practice and to the games. He wants players that don't speak I'll of their team, nor do they care about their stats (-28 anyone?).

Above all he wants players who are accountable - they look to their own shortcomings and strive to do whatever it takes to be better

Oh, and, also, umm, nobody ever dare look at coaching or management as having a shortcoming. Just keep yer head down and yer yap shut and take it.

Oh Home on the Range, where the . . .

In my experience in this highly mobile workforce we call Alberta, the managers who succeed are those that make use of all their employees or contractors, not just the ones who have brown sshhht all over their nose.

Of course, maybe the NHL is different - maybe it isn't a highly mobile workforce. Maybe their are enough Horcoff's to fill a roster AND go deep into the playoffs.

well said.

the replay of april 2009 media address proved beyond any doubt that Tambo has a looooong way to go before he learns what it takes to win.

and, yes: it was clear that is Horcoffs they want ever since game 7 - they let all go (Peca even said he would have loved to stay) and kept Horc, Pisani and Moreau on unsubstantiated raises.

Kids without leadership will NOT save this team.

Avatar
#12 Team Hall
April 15 2010, 09:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Khabby is a good goalie, no question, he has a stanley cup in his home to prove it. After -hours indiscretions aside, he is the most proven commodity on the Oilers, and the least of our worries. I've got to defend Tambi on that one. Now if we could just get a stanley cup winner first line centre....

Avatar
#13 Team Hall
April 15 2010, 09:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I like your swagger, Bombay. My problem is, I'm not sold that Seguin is the second coming of Yzerman that Matheson seems to think. 2007, CSS ranks Turris #1 in there end of the season rankings. Kane ranked #2. Good thing Chicago disagreed with the rankings that year...

Avatar
#14 Bombay
April 15 2010, 09:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Was Turris really ranked 1? That seems weird considering how he had over twenty less points in what I understand to be a less competitive league, that being the BCHL.

Avatar
#15 Crash
April 15 2010, 10:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

Was Turris really ranked 1? That seems weird considering how he had over twenty less points in what I understand to be a less competitive league, that being the BCHL.

Now that's really interesting stuff that Team Hall has brought to light....I found a copy of the final rankings for April 2007 and sure enough Turris is ranked #1 ahead of Kane...

http://cdn.nhl.com/futures/cssrankings/2007final/07_final_naskaters_num.pdf

Avatar
#17 Bombay
April 15 2010, 10:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I too like Dubnyk. Ever since he got that first win, he seemed very comfortable. His demeanor in net just seems more conducive to consistency than a guy like Delauriers, who seems to get flustered certain nights, and then he's an absolute sieve. (spelling?)

Avatar
#18 Muji 狗
April 15 2010, 11:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

The best thing for the Oilers would be if Khabi is forced to retire; freeing us from his cap hit in the process.

To think, we could have had Roli for much less and for only 2 years. That would have been ideal actually.

Things like this make me highly skeptical of Tamby's direction.

Avatar
#19 jeanshorts
April 15 2010, 11:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

We could have a future Stanley cup winner first-line center if you would just change your name. ;)

And I am also a supporter of Khabi. It's my opinion that Quinn should shoulder some of the blame for how our aging goalie's season went. He overplayed him, plain and simple. An older goalie like that with a history of back problems should be playing less than 3 out of 4 games. Quinn had him playing like 6 ou of 7 if my memory serves me. But I'm confident that Khabi will have a bounce back year next year. Let's not forget that when healthy the last two years, he's been very good.

Uhh, what? Overplayed? Did I miss the part where we went back to the 80's style of goalie rotation? As far as I know Khabby was signed to that horrible contract to be a starting goalie. Not be part of a 1A/1B system, since clearly we don't have anything remotely close to a 1B. And if he can only handle 4 or 5 games in a row then the signing is even worse than I thought, and we might as well buy him out ASAP because clearly he's not worth anything close to 3.75 a year.

It's not the coaches fault the GM signed an injury prone goalie with no one to back him up when. You play the hand your dealt.

Avatar
#20 DoubleTap
April 15 2010, 11:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Team Hall:

After -hours indiscretions aside, he is the most proven commodity on the Oilers, and the least of our worries.

Seriously?

Injury concerns alone mean that Khabibulin's a constant worry, even if he plays at his optimal level the entire time he's under contract.

Players that old who average 20ish games per season on the injured list are always cause for concern.

And that's leaving aside his less than stellar performance over four seasons in Chicago, and talent, and afterhours issues. That's just health.

I'd say your both right. Which only goes to show how big some of the other worries I have with this team are...

I should specify that I mean the roster as it currently is.

Avatar
#21 Corsby31
April 16 2010, 01:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

What a laugh...A good leader??? Are you kidding me???

A "good leader" SHOULD be smart enough to not drink a drive. If he can't make the right decision in a real life scenario how can we expect to do it on the ice? How can Tambi support this guy?? Tambi...your an idiot and I for one think you should be fired. Right fu@kin now!! But after all, I'm just a fan of this team so clearly what I think doesn't matter.

Very disappointing. And not only that, now I have to listen to the god damn Canuk fans after their stupid win...

Enough venting...

Hey Willis, do you think the Bruins would trade Toronto's first pick next year to get Hall? We could then grab Seguin and end up with a solid pick (plus ours which i'm sure will be great) next year??

Avatar
#22 KenMcC
April 16 2010, 02:32AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Corsby31

Tamby should be fired for setting a horrid example to the team by not addressIng reality and instead indulging the grand Lie. Habby will never be an MVP. I wonder how many times in the past few years he was one of the 3 Stars?

Reality has to include a look at 3 of the many players who were difference makers for us in 2006 don't fit the Horcoff/Habby mould. Roli hated sharing the net, and 2 more didn't really want to be here.

I suppose Quinn would've thrown Peca and Pronger off the team (obviously you can't trust players who aren't brown nosing the coach or who simply want to be elsewhere).

Was Spacek a good Oiler? He didn't sign here, but while he was here, he played with determination and skill. Does Tamby want his soul also?

Were Guerin and Weight good oilers? They left for money. Maybe Toby Peterson was a great Oiler. He never complained and he worshipped the coach. Maybe that's Oilers hockey.

Avatar
#23 Rusty Duggan
April 16 2010, 02:34AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Once last thing on Souray. He asked for a trade. Remember that when you're attacking management. The millionaires are the ones to point the finger at. Sheldon Souray is a classless player whom I hope will never play a decent season in the NHL again. Two words describe Souray now: entitlement and onthewayout

Avatar
#24 Rusty Duggan
April 16 2010, 02:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Corsby31 wrote:

What a laugh...A good leader??? Are you kidding me???

A "good leader" SHOULD be smart enough to not drink a drive. If he can't make the right decision in a real life scenario how can we expect to do it on the ice? How can Tambi support this guy?? Tambi...your an idiot and I for one think you should be fired. Right fu@kin now!! But after all, I'm just a fan of this team so clearly what I think doesn't matter.

Very disappointing. And not only that, now I have to listen to the god damn Canuk fans after their stupid win...

Enough venting...

Hey Willis, do you think the Bruins would trade Toronto's first pick next year to get Hall? We could then grab Seguin and end up with a solid pick (plus ours which i'm sure will be great) next year??

Be nice to get Jeff Skinner too eh?

Avatar
#25 Garett
April 16 2010, 06:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

With regards to the guy saying that if Rehabibulin retires he is off the cap: that is not true. In the CBA it says something about players who are signed to a contract after the age of 35 cannot have their money come off the cap should they retire. I do remember hearing this somewhere, anyone else?

Avatar
#26 BUCK75
April 16 2010, 07:26AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bombay wrote:

Was Turris really ranked 1? That seems weird considering how he had over twenty less points in what I understand to be a less competitive league, that being the BCHL.

He was ranked #1. Turris was ranked No. 5 at midseason, then moved up to No. 1 in the final ranking of North American skaters by the Central Scouting Bureau.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=ec6853fe-77a2-40df-8762-1bcbfcc773a9&p=2

Turris played in arguably the best Jr A hockey league in Canada. His dominance in that league, plus his play while part of the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence lead to his ranking. He played in U17 worlds, Ivan Hlinka, U18 worlds, 07 Super Series & the 2008 WJAC.

I don't care what league you play in. If you play Jr B & can make the cut to play on a Hockey Canada team - you're pretty good. In hindsight, should he have been ranked #1? Probably not.

Fact is that he played 1 season at Wisconsin, he probably should have played 2. The Coyotes buggered that up - another example of a late bloomer in my opinion. He turned it around in the AHL this year, 24 G 39 A. Maybe next year he gets his chance in Phoenix? Maybe he spends another year in San Antonio & gets better still?

Avatar
#27 DSF
April 16 2010, 07:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

That Tambellini believes an inconsistent, oft injured, old goalie on a contract well above last season's market value is a key piece moving forward, tells you everything you need to know about his ability to lead the team through the rebuilding process.

Need another example? How about O'Sullivan? Why do you think Lombardi was happy to see his back? Really.

Avatar
#28 VMR
April 16 2010, 07:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Muji 狗 wrote:

The best thing for the Oilers would be if Khabi is forced to retire; freeing us from his cap hit in the process.

To think, we could have had Roli for much less and for only 2 years. That would have been ideal actually.

Things like this make me highly skeptical of Tamby's direction.

Retiring doesnt get him off our cap since he was over 35 when he signed. Whether he's forced by injuries or just decides he's had enough because we signed him to that ridiculous contract at that age we're stuck with that cap hit.

The only thing we can do is leave him on injured reserve.

And sorry Gregor but look at that list of games played and you see a steady slide downwards and a goalie who hasnt been that good in several years and he wasnt able to play in last seasons play offs because of injuries. If they were considering him to be the team MVP they were basing that on his play in 2004 and earlier not any time in the past 5 years.

Avatar
#29 BarryS
April 16 2010, 07:49AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Corsby31 wrote:

What a laugh...A good leader??? Are you kidding me???

A "good leader" SHOULD be smart enough to not drink a drive. If he can't make the right decision in a real life scenario how can we expect to do it on the ice? How can Tambi support this guy?? Tambi...your an idiot and I for one think you should be fired. Right fu@kin now!! But after all, I'm just a fan of this team so clearly what I think doesn't matter.

Very disappointing. And not only that, now I have to listen to the god damn Canuk fans after their stupid win...

Enough venting...

Hey Willis, do you think the Bruins would trade Toronto's first pick next year to get Hall? We could then grab Seguin and end up with a solid pick (plus ours which i'm sure will be great) next year??

We're talking leadership, not sainthood. open a history book. Can't think of a single great leader you'd want your sister or daughter, or in some cases, brother or son, to hang out with. The greay leaders all had, shall we say, interesting personal lives.

Avatar
#30 BarryS
April 16 2010, 07:57AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

That Tambellini believes an inconsistent, oft injured, old goalie on a contract well above last season's market value is a key piece moving forward, tells you everything you need to know about his ability to lead the team through the rebuilding process.

Need another example? How about O'Sullivan? Why do you think Lombardi was happy to see his back? Really.

Shake your head. Call yourself a sports fan and you don't know problem free players don't get traded. Gm's tend to trade players they see as problems, sometimes they work, usually they don't.

GM's tend to be like spinsters, tend to think they can change that jerk they pick up in the bar into some sort of reasonable replica of a human being and with the same lack of success.

seems to me their's a saying about a leopard changing his spots and the impossibility of same.

Avatar
#31 BarryS
April 16 2010, 08:03AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@KenMcC

Talk about revisionist history. Before the last couple years, oilers lost good players because they could not or would not pay them current market value. This goes all the way back to Gretzky and the guys. Most of the others left because of the travel. You will notice most of those gone not over money have never signed with western teams.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

So what should he say? I signed a drunk with a bad back? Honestly the only thing I could see Tambo doing to address the goaltending issue is go out and get someone that is better then JDD.

As for the whole impaired I still can't believe people bring it up. This is the first time the guy has had one and he made a mistake. We live in a society that gives killers another chance so lets give our goalie a second chance.

Avatar
#33 Deep Oil
April 16 2010, 08:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Garett wrote:

With regards to the guy saying that if Rehabibulin retires he is off the cap: that is not true. In the CBA it says something about players who are signed to a contract after the age of 35 cannot have their money come off the cap should they retire. I do remember hearing this somewhere, anyone else?

CBA - section 14 - page 190 http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/

Even if Khabibulin dies, his salary stays on the cap.

Avatar
#34 DSF
April 16 2010, 08:30AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
BarryS wrote:

Shake your head. Call yourself a sports fan and you don't know problem free players don't get traded. Gm's tend to trade players they see as problems, sometimes they work, usually they don't.

GM's tend to be like spinsters, tend to think they can change that jerk they pick up in the bar into some sort of reasonable replica of a human being and with the same lack of success.

seems to me their's a saying about a leopard changing his spots and the impossibility of same.

Problem free players get traded all the time.

Prime example: Visnovsky.

GM's who lack the foresight to do due diligence when acquiring players tend to end up with the problems.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Problem free players get traded all the time.

Prime example: Visnovsky.

GM's who lack the foresight to do due diligence when acquiring players tend to end up with the problems.

Was Lubo problem free? He was complaining at the Olympics.

Avatar
#36 Rick
April 16 2010, 08:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Does any one know what Khabibulin had to do with the Manitoba Moose that Tambellini referenced?

...

I can't say I was feeling very re-assured about that part of Tambellini's press conference (the other part that bugged me was how he went out of his way to give propps to Stone and Jacques).

He sounded to me like a guy that was trying to justify his mistakes.

That's not to suggest that he needs to throw anyone under the bus, just that he really shouldn't have gone out of his way to try and defend what he did.

I hope that's not some indication that he is a guy that will put his job security ahead of the team, the last thing we need is our own version of Mad Mike that starts making short terms trades for short term gains.

Avatar
#37 ogorr
April 16 2010, 08:53AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Problem free players get traded all the time.

Prime example: Visnovsky.

GM's who lack the foresight to do due diligence when acquiring players tend to end up with the problems.

Not exactly problem free

http://tv.sme.sk/v/13939/lubomir-visnovsky-je-smutny-zo-situacie-v-edmontone.html

and the return on him was not terrible

Avatar
#38 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
April 16 2010, 09:00AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Was Lubo problem free? He was complaining at the Olympics.

Ya I'm pretty sure he asked for a trade then?

Avatar
#39 Team Hall
April 16 2010, 09:02AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jonathan Willis wrote:

@ Team Hall:

After -hours indiscretions aside, he is the most proven commodity on the Oilers, and the least of our worries.

Seriously?

Injury concerns alone mean that Khabibulin's a constant worry, even if he plays at his optimal level the entire time he's under contract.

Players that old who average 20ish games per season on the injured list are always cause for concern.

And that's leaving aside his less than stellar performance over four seasons in Chicago, and talent, and afterhours issues. That's just health.

JG came to my rescue on this one, Khabi is not actually considered injury prone yet, since he was only seriously injured in one year in the last 5. Everyone is jumping the gun, saying the sky is falling because Khabby got injured in one year, lets see what next year brings before we jump to conclusions

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ender wrote:

Ogden Brother Jr. wrote:

As for the whole impaired I still can't believe people bring it up. This is the first time the guy has had one and he made a mistake. We live in a society that gives killers another chance so lets give our goalie a second chance.

Khabibulin is a killer. Became one the second he climbed behind the wheel. The only thing that separates him from someone convicted of manslaughter is dumb luck and maybe the cop who caught him before he got any further down the road. Being caught out of position is a mistake you forgive a goalie for. Drinking and driving isn't a mistake; it's more dangerous and stupid than passing out razorblades in the sandbox.

Well we will have to agree to disagree, and this is an organization that forgive someone for making that very mistake you are talking about. They even went as far as making that guy coach for quite a few years.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Ya I'm pretty sure he asked for a trade then?

Come on Sr. I said he wasn't with out problems. I never said nothing about him asking a trade. If he was complaining to the Slovak media then what's to say he isn't complaining in the dressing room? Big difference between a guy being a problem and a guy asking for a trade.

In this scenario we know Lubo wasn't problem free, what we don't know is whether or not he asked for a trade.

Avatar
#42 Ender
April 16 2010, 09:13AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Ogden Brother Jr.

The guy you're talking about had a year in jail to think about what he'd done. When Khabi has the same opportunity, I'll think about treating him the same way.

Avatar
#43 Crackenbury
April 16 2010, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

It was a huge gamble to sign a 35 year-old goalie with a history of back problems and it didn't work out, so far. That being said, 'bulin is heads above anything in our system right now. If he manages to come back next year and play to his prior level, it's still a good signing. Everything I've heard about 'bulin points to him being a quality person. Ya ya, he got an impaired, no one is denying that, but lets see if it was a one time deal or a habitual problem before condemning him.

If he's as good a mentor as some are saying, I can see him and Dubnyk making a strong tandem for the next couple of years. I think Deslaurier is the odd man out. Nice guy, but doesn't come across a a franchise goalie to me. I love Dubnyk's attitude in net, reminds me a lot of Fuhr's approach to the game.

Avatar
#44 DSF
April 16 2010, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Team Hall wrote:

JG came to my rescue on this one, Khabi is not actually considered injury prone yet, since he was only seriously injured in one year in the last 5. Everyone is jumping the gun, saying the sky is falling because Khabby got injured in one year, lets see what next year brings before we jump to conclusions

Khabibulin suffered numerous injuries in Chicago which resulted his low number of games played there.

05/06 50 06/07 60 07/08 50 08/09 42 09/10 18

Spot a trend there?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ender

Well they were going to give Heatley a job and he didn't serve anytime either, so again the Oilers will give guys a second chance. Bulin is apart of their so called family and they aren't ready to throw him under the bus for one mistake.

You think if this was Gagner or Hemsky that fans would keep bringing up the impaired?

Avatar
#46 madjam
April 16 2010, 09:20AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Time for 1 year program back to competitiveness and second year climb back to the top . First , Management goes back to schooling to reinvent themselves into the new corporate wave and not only understands it but how to effectively impliment it . Secondly, they learn how to communicate with the demands of all the four types employees opening up the entire spectrum of the new workforce - not just one type that vastly limits their options . Thirdly , management at all levels open up the workplace so as all their employees have the tools, guidance and freedom to face challenges , set goals and develop their skills and a mechanism to air/ address their grievances and beefs internally rather than outside the workplace .No need to be confrontational if we in management can do our jobs effectively . The trade and UFA marketplace is their for us to use if we are effective in the implimentation of these goals . Currently we have cut off most of the workforce by our narrow vision and old school practices . Fourthly , we need to stop the necessity to be confrontational with media , workforce and fans through poor negative practices like C.Y.A. and "buck passing "- that just manifest more problems and domino negatives to all aspects of our business . Can this all be done in less than 1 year ? Absolutely ,if we are as effective as we should be . Within in a year UFA's should feel very comfortable coming and staying here . The goal here is to recognize the problem is our managerial structure and narrowness of it , and how the new workplace has/is changed to meet and exceed tomorrows challenges and employee friendlyness and openess to meet the expectations and demands of the new workplace and force . If management can reach these goals by end of year one we should be on fast track to a very rapid rise to upper eschilon by year 2 . These are obtainable realistic goals . Players should want to flock here and stay if we set this system in place . Well thats my opinion ,and realistic time line to get it done . At least present managerial finally recognizes they have problems that they are responsible for .

Avatar
#47 rubbertrout
April 16 2010, 09:21AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ender wrote:

Ogden Brother Jr. wrote:

As for the whole impaired I still can't believe people bring it up. This is the first time the guy has had one and he made a mistake. We live in a society that gives killers another chance so lets give our goalie a second chance.

Khabibulin is a killer. Became one the second he climbed behind the wheel. The only thing that separates him from someone convicted of manslaughter is dumb luck and maybe the cop who caught him before he got any further down the road. Being caught out of position is a mistake you forgive a goalie for. Drinking and driving isn't a mistake; it's more dangerous and stupid than passing out razorblades in the sandbox.

Graham James got pardoned. Nuff said. Is it right? No but let's leave the moral grandstanding out of it.

How about someone who drives when they are really tired, falls asleep at the wheel crosses the centre line and kills someone. No law against that (excpet for professional drivers who have to log time driving etc.) Is that a "mistake" or is that person a killer too? You can kill someone just as easily doing that and there is no law against it.

Things aren't black and white. Drinking and driving isn't good at all and I'm not suggesting it is but there are plenty of things that you can do to put others equally at risk that aren't against the law and nobody calls those people "killers".

People that take those risks and put others at harm are stupid to the highest order and they should be punished for their behaviour but before we start breaking out the tar and feathers let's recognize that there are relative degrees of culpability.

Avatar
#48 rubbertrout
April 16 2010, 09:22AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

Well they were going to give Heatley a job and he didn't serve anytime either, so again the Oilers will give guys a second chance. Bulin is apart of their so called family and they aren't ready to throw him under the bus for one mistake.

You think if this was Gagner or Hemsky that fans would keep bringing up the impaired?

Or Mac-T for that matter? He actually killed someone and nobody mentions it any more.

EDIT: Already said--see comment 40.

Avatar
#49 Team Hall
April 16 2010, 09:23AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
DSF wrote:

Khabibulin suffered numerous injuries in Chicago which resulted his low number of games played there.

05/06 50 06/07 60 07/08 50 08/09 42 09/10 18

Spot a trend there?

I think his low number of games in Chicago was because they were tandeming him with Huet at the end, they thought Huet was their guy, but ended up going back to Khabby late for the playoffs.

Avatar
#50 Crackenbury
April 16 2010, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I'm guessing you live in a house made of glass.

Comments are closed for this article.