CALGARY BAD, RUSH GOOD

Wanye
April 08 2010 05:20PM

We are in Calgary for the week and other than an overwhelming desire to try and date our own cousin, we are proud to report that the City has had little to no effect at all on us. Though it made us feel sick to our very stomach, we agreed to meet FlamesNation writer and Fan 940 correspondent at Flames Central for a beer last night and discuss the demise of the Flames.

Going to Flames Central = bad.

Going to Flames Central to discuss how the team absolutely choked down the stretch = good.

We had vague plans to either smash the washrooms to smithereens or get roaringly drunk only to later stand on our chair and scream "I'M DRUNK IN CALGARY FLAMES BAR AND I'M OILERS FAN! BEHOLD THE GLORY!!" before tearing off our clothes and waiting for the Police to arrive. We were behind enemy lines with a chaperone, anything was possible we figured.

Though we were going to kick the night off early as can be with a 6:30 PM start Steinberg messaged us with the hilarious news "Dude, I don't know what to tell you but I got here to Flames Central early and they are doing last call."

Last call Nation.

The day after the Flames missed the playoffs. So much for standing by the team huh?

If the official team bar closing at 6:15 the day after you miss the playoffs isn't the epitome of bandwagon/fair weather fannery then we don't know what is.

Stupid Calgary.

RUSH'N TO THE PLAYOFFS

As you may have noticed on the advertisements here on the Nation there is going to be a party at The Pint this Saturday for the Edmonton Rush. Now before you start screaming "THIS ISN'T ABOUT THE OILERZ" and flushing out your eyes with some variety of saline solution hear your ol' pal Wanye out for a moment will you?

Yeah.

Like many of our fellow Citizens of the OilersNation we usually don't give two squirts of whizz about sports that aren't the Edmonton Oilers. Sure we used to wear Boston Bruins sweatpants to school for virtually all of the fifth grade and sure we might have a budding love affair with the Edmonton Capitals but the line is drawn there.

But we have to admit that the Edmonton Rush are starting to grow on us. While the Mighty Oil take up all of the air time and coverage in this town, the Rush are perpetually shown no love by both the media and 99.945% of the folk in this City. We will be totally honest, until we started doing some advertising with the team earlier in the year we were among the folk who didn't know or didn't care about lacrosse or the Rush.

THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW

Having now been to a pair of games, we can conclude that lacrosse is a sick game and the Rush are not only the winningest team in Edmonton but also put on a great show with as honest an effort as you will see in RX1 these days. More and more we are starting to think that getting on the Rush bandwagon would be a gentlemanly way to spend yet another Oilers-Free spring here in E-Town. And before we close off the longest lacrosse related paragraph we thought we would ever write we will say this:

1) Come to the Rush party at the Pint this Saturday. Their cheerleaders will be there and we guarantee we will have a few pints of the BL and we will lay down our B+ Grade game to try and take one down. It will be a hell of a show.

2) We pleaded with the Rush to hook us up with some last minute tickets to Friday Night's game against Colorado and they have come through. First 4 people to send an email to wanyegretz@gmail.com get SWEEEET pairs of lower bowl tickets to the game.

Think the Rush suck? Go take a look for yourself.

Then when you realize you are wrong go to the nearest mirror, punch yourself in the face, look yourself in the eyes and say "that was from Wanye."

Yeah.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 freeze
April 08 2010, 05:33PM

You should have slapped an Oilers Nation sticker on one of the giant Flames logos down there.

#2 Cowbell_Feva
April 08 2010, 05:48PM

Everyone in Alberta was aware of how quickly the Flamer bandwagon would fill up or empty out (more frequently the latter) BUT I never knew they would close up shop that quick!

The Flamer fans will feel what we felt this year, for many more years to come....BLISS!

#3 jeanshorts
April 08 2010, 05:51PM

No offense to the "Crush Dance Team", but I think conning one of them to go back to your parents basement with you is achievable. If you can believe it, you can do it!®

(And personally I'd look to take down Kendra or Joelle)

#4 Jodes
April 08 2010, 06:02PM

Hey Wanye, maybe you should have a "Crush" Girl of the day as the Rush go through the playoffs..

#5 Tha Legion
April 08 2010, 06:15PM

I love the Rush, except for the music during play because it makes the whole sport kinda tacky but I'm looking forward to the playoffs

#6 Giggsunited
April 08 2010, 06:46PM

Can't wait to see how many green seats will be in the crowd at the Flamerz game tonight!

#7 GSC
April 08 2010, 06:57PM

Jesus, Wanye, how can you drink that BL sh*t water?

I'm an American and I absolutely hate the stuff, it's just disgusting. Give me some Kokanee or Molson any day.

#8 RLH
April 08 2010, 07:23PM

At first I thought that this would be about Rush (the band) announcing a new tour, but it turned out excellent anyway. This write-up makes me want to run onto a field and try to decapitate an enemy with a basket-empowered stick.

#9 RossCreekNation
April 08 2010, 08:28PM

Planning on celebrating my 30th b-day (yesterday) at the game.

EDIT: Just dug out the Rush t-shirt that I bought during their inaugural season... it seems to have shrunk, lol.

#10 Maggie the Monkey
April 08 2010, 08:45PM

@RossCreekNation

You must be doing laundry at the same place I am: all of my shirts seem to have shrunk this winter too.

#11 The Real Scuba Steve
April 08 2010, 09:23PM

See ya next year Flames with our lottery pick!!!, (unless Tambo trades it for a bag of magic beans), so the battle of Alberta is going to be interesting again.

#12 RossCreekNation
April 08 2010, 09:34PM

@Maggie the Monkey

Haha, must be the detergent we're using...

#13 Jodes
April 08 2010, 09:42PM

So Wanye, did you contact the winners as of yet?

#14 Ambassador humantorch
April 09 2010, 01:27AM

I want the entire Nation to know that I took that Flames Central photo. True story.

#15 Amber McCormick
April 09 2010, 01:56AM

A party this Saturday is not conducive to my new work schedule. Not conducive at all!

#16 MItch
April 09 2010, 08:46AM

Long time reader first time poster...

I was at the Pint on Wednesday after the Oilers win, in a season they finished worst, and it was packed. Lots of jerseys and lots of partying. To see the Flames bar that lame just shows how weak their fans are.

We might bitch and moan lots in Edmonton, but we still go to games, and still support the team. Good on us.

As for the Rush, I too am on the bandwagon. I got dragged to the game last Friday, but couldn't believe how fun it was. Lots of goals, and the pace is way faster than I expected. Very few whistles and penalties. The sport is growing on me, and I even bought tickets for tonight.

I'm still Oiler fan first, but I can cheer for two teams at once.

#17 The Towel Boy
April 09 2010, 09:09AM
Ambassador humantorch wrote:

And afterwards did you burn your camera and scrub your body with bleach?

#18 OilFan
April 09 2010, 09:09AM

I have never seen a lacross game. My bosses son played his name is Kaleb Toth. Check him out on youtube he scored the last goal ever in Maple Leaf Gardens.

#19 The Towel Boy
April 09 2010, 09:18AM

I haven't seen a lacross game in years. Do they still play amazingly loud rock music during the play?

#20 freeze
April 09 2010, 09:40AM
The Towel Boy wrote:

#21 Chirp
April 09 2010, 10:01AM

is this guy on crack??

#22 OilFan
April 09 2010, 10:16AM
Chirp wrote:

is this guy on crack??

That guy sounds like a idiot. Hard contacts to move Penner ? 30+ goals at less then 5 a season. ONLY IN TORONTO

BUBBA ARMY SIRUS 101

www.btls.com

#23 Ryan2
April 09 2010, 10:20AM
Chirp wrote:

is this guy on crack??

I love the part about Penner being untradeable due to his contract, and Hemsky being overpaid. He regurgitated that from an article earlier this year, and just added a bit to it. Think that Burke would not kill to have those problems on the Leafs?

#24 The Towel Boy
April 09 2010, 11:31AM

David Staples did a number on Cox's article yesterday:

#25 The Towel Boy
April 09 2010, 11:33AM
freeze wrote:

They should do that for hockey games too. Well, maybe the last few Oiler games. I could actually hear the lights buzzing on the broadcast the other day.

#26 Archaeologuy
April 09 2010, 11:53AM
The Towel Boy wrote:

David Staples did a number on Cox's article yesterday:

How could anyone claim that Hemsky has a bad contract?

The best part though was when he he suggested that the Oilers should trade their top pick to move lower in the draft all to get rid of Horcoff.

Brilliant!

#27 cambosmash
April 09 2010, 11:57AM

How sweet would it be to have an "Oilers Nation" bar as part of the new arena complex?

#28 VK63
April 09 2010, 12:02PM
Chirp wrote:

is this guy on crack??

I think its Levebre that has the Bobby Knight line in his bio thingy.

"We all learn to write in grade two but most of us go on to better things."

So hes not on crack... he just didnt go on to better things and apparently never passed grade 2... but thats just speculation.

#29 OilFan
April 09 2010, 12:08PM

Finnish free agent goaltender Jussi Rynnas, who, if you believe the scouts, is just as good as The Monster in Toronto.

May be the Oilers look into this guy

#30 Harlie
April 09 2010, 12:33PM

when you see the Calgary symbol in a reverse image in that picture above a new image appears. Quite appropriate for a choke team.

#31 Archaeologuy
April 09 2010, 12:45PM

@Harlie

How did I never notice what the Inside portion of the "C" looks like???

#32 Harlie
April 09 2010, 12:50PM

@Archaeologuy

I can't look at it the same anymore. HELP!!!

~ Pacman is hungry ~

#33 THEBIGD
April 09 2010, 04:17PM

@Chirp

I agree we need the number 1 or 2 pick.That guy must be on something as if the Oilers did that there would be a lot of upset fans.And not buying season tickets.As we need to rebuild and you have to do that with our draft picks.And they can buy out a few players if needed the owner has the money for that. Thebigd

#35 Jodes
April 09 2010, 08:18PM
Wanye wrote:

All winners have been contacted. Folks who didn't win will be given the weekend to mourn.

SQUEE

Doh.. Too bad I got your email at 5pm today Wanye, I would have love to have gone, but living 2 hours outside of the city AND being hit by the storm of the year so far, this guy is staying put where its safe and warm.

Sorry Wanye. The mourning will commence.. now.

#36 Jamie B.
April 09 2010, 11:11PM
OilFan wrote:

May be the Oilers look into this guy

Maybe you read a newspaper.