Players Of Interest At The World Championships

Jonathan Willis
May 12 2010 02:02PM

Sweden v France - 2010 IIHF World Championship

The Edmonton Oilers have a few players participating in this year’s World Championships, including some prospects who have yet to play in North America.

The chart below shows Oilers players (as well as a few others of interest) and how they have performed so far at the Worlds:

Player GP G A PTS +/- TOI/GM Shots
Jaromir Jagr 2 2 3 5 0 17:10 12
Patrick Thoresen 2 1 3 4 2 20:49 5
Magnus Paajarvi Svensson 2 1 2 3 3 11:48 10
Linus Omark 2 0 2 2 1 12:55 6
Denis Grebeshkov 2 1 0 1 3 12:29 1
Ryan Smyth 1 0 0 0 0 12:40 2
Matt Greene 2 0 0 0 0 17:10 1
Taylor Chorney 2 0 0 0 0 5:02 0
Ryan Potulny 2 0 0 0 -1 14:41 7
Jordan Eberle 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Jaromir Jagr has had a nice couple of games for the Czechs, and although he’s now out of consideration for the Oilers it’s interesting to see his success so far at the Worlds. I’m still a little surprised that some NHL team didn’t offer him enough money to bring him back, since he can almost certainly still play, although not at the same level as he once did.

In the ‘former Oilers’ category, Patrick Thoresen is having a nice run for Norway (he leads the team in shots) and he’s coming off a nice season in the Kontinental Hockey League. He’s expressed a desire to play NHL hockey again, and seems like a possibility for some NHL team.

As for current Oilers, the Americans are having a rocky tournament (Taylor Chorney took a pair of high-sticking penalties in his rather limited ice-time) but the Swedes seem to be doing well. Paajarvi-Svensson and Omark both have nice European resumes and their performance at the Worlds is a nice sign.

As for Jordan Eberle, it’s highly likely that with the injury to Ryan Smyth, he’ll get some game action with the Canadian team. Eberle’s best known for his heroics at the World Juniors, and it will be interesting to see how much time he gets with the senior team.

74b7cedc5d8bfbe88cf071309e98d2c3

Chorney and Poutlny making it just show how weak the americans are, and people were shocked when they lost to Germany and Denmark.

In other news we are losing 4-1 to the Swiss.

Also where did that confirmation come on Eberle?

#3 The Towel Boy
May 12 2010, 02:18PM

~Chorney is just rackin' up the ice time, eh?

#4 Ambassador humantorch
May 12 2010, 02:20PM

I'm hard pressed to decide what's making me happier: watching the Americans nosedive to relegation or the Canucks getting bounced yesterday.

Either way, it's a good day to be alive.

#5 Tha Legion
May 12 2010, 02:22PM

I'm not sure where but eberle was interviewed and the coaching staff told him to be ready, terrible loss today

#6 Ender
May 12 2010, 02:22PM

Nice pic of MPS. I wonder if he scored on that move . . .

#7 Archaeologuy
May 12 2010, 02:32PM

MPS is a beast getting all those shots on less than 12 minutes a game.

@Jonathan Willis

I guess it will depend on who he takes when this round is done? I'd be curious to see who actually is willing to go to the World's at this point. I can't see the big name guys going, but a guy like Price who has something to prove might. Up front I don't know who the other options are.

#10 David S
May 12 2010, 02:43PM

Better Chorney and Potulny play for the US than for the Oilers. If we never see either of these guys again I won't lose any sleep over it.

#11 Archaeologuy
May 12 2010, 02:47PM

@David S

I dont know. I like Potulny. He has a ton to learn but he has some decent offensive instincts.

@Archaeologuy

Chorney is fairly young too and I'm not sure I'd be giving up on him.

#13 Archaeologuy
May 12 2010, 02:56PM

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

True, but he's not ready yet. Not even close.

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

Oh I understand that I just think it is far too early to be talking about never seeing him again.

This was suppose to be for comment 13.

#16 DK0
May 12 2010, 03:08PM

MPS is putting up a shot every 2 minutes of icetime. That would have to be a team leading stat on the Oilers.

bonerjams

#17 Poo Czar
May 12 2010, 04:05PM

Oh how I dearly hope MPS turns into a player. If only for the fact that I've long hoped to own a jersey with umlauts on it. PÄÄJÄRVI!!!

#18 Senator Theo
May 12 2010, 04:28PM
Poo Czar wrote:

I'd need to get a second job to pay for all those extra letters and hyphens though.

#19 Poo Czar
May 12 2010, 04:30PM

TOTALLY WORTH IT

#20 Pajamah
May 12 2010, 04:44PM

You could buy the A's in bulk though

#21 Senator Theo
May 12 2010, 04:49PM

wait, do you just put PÄÄJÄRVI, or do you also need the -SVENSSON?

I see in Sweden they drop the -SVENSSON, but I don't know over here.

#22 swany
May 12 2010, 05:01PM

Ebbs is going to get some time for sure, It depends on how bad Stamkos is hurt www.tsn.ca upper body.

#23 Poo Czar
May 12 2010, 05:03PM
Senator Theo wrote:

wait, do you just put PÄÄJÄRVI, or do you also need the -SVENSSON?

I see in Sweden they drop the -SVENSSON, but I don't know over here.

I have no idea. The weird part about that is PÄÄJÄRVI is the Finnish part of his name, so you'D think on the National team jersey he'D lean more towards the local flavor. Funny that.

Still though - UMLAUTS!!!

#24 DangerMan
May 12 2010, 09:54PM
Jonathan Willis wrote:

I like Potulny, particularly in the role of 13th forward, because he's versatile enough to fill in wherever needed.

As for Chorney, he should master the AHL before he sees another minute of NHL ice-time.

I like Potulny and Pouliot as the extra forwards for the reasons mentioned and the fact that one is LH and one is RH, gives an abundance of versatility there.

Injuries happen, and these guys can be plugged in the for the short term and do the job, but if they are needed for the long term, then you are in trouble.

#25 Oil_Loc8or
May 13 2010, 12:15AM

I can't believe Chorney isn't at least minus 10. I like Potunly as a 13th forward he was better then Cogs this season ?

15 goals was third best on the team.