Do you see what I see, edition IX

Jason Gregor
May 17 2010 02:00PM

Canada's Eberle competes with Germany's Krueger during their international friendly ice hockey match in Hamburg

The Flyers made history over the weekend; the Habs got crushed again in game one, the Sharks didn’t have to kill a penalty but lost and Oiler fans saw a glimpse of what the future might look like.

Jordan Eberle’s four points in a 12-1 blowout over Norway had Oiler fans daydreaming about what they might see in the future. Toss in Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, the signing of Teemu Hartikainen, Taylor Hall’s first period v. Brandon and Devan Dubnyk going to the worlds and finally there are some reasons to be a hopeful Oiler fan.

You never discount four points, but when they come against Norway you have to temper your enthusiasm. The only thing you can’t debate about Eberle is how he sees and thinks the game. The advantage he’ll have when he comes to camp next season is that he’ll play with guys who think and play the game better than any of his previous teammates. Or at least I hope he’ll be on a line with the likes of MPS, Hemsky, Penner, Gagner, Brule or Hall/Seguin. It’s too early to think about the horror of seeing him line up on the 4th line.

The one knock scouts and hockey people have against Eberle is his skating, and he knows it. He’s worked extremely hard the past two years with Steve Serdachny, the Oilers skating and skills coach, and Serdachny is confident Eberle’s skating won’t be an issue in the NHL.

“I’ve worked with lots of young guys over the years and Jordan’s work ethic and drive to improve is the highest I’ve seen. He has put in lots of extra work improving his first few steps, and he doesn’t skate as up right as he used to,” Serdachny said on my radio show last Friday.

Eberle doesn’t have to skate like Cogliano to succeed, because of his ability to get to the open areas. He has an accurate shot, and despite his size, he isn’t afraid to go into the tough areas to score. If he plays with guys who are more puck carriers and puck distributors he should be fine in the NHL.

The more I watch MPS, the more I think he might be more NHL ready than Eberle. He skates exceptionally well, has a bit of bite to his game and after playing three years in the SEL he is physically ready to handle NHL defenceman. I keep hearing the Oilers are getting closer to working out a deal to sign the 10th pick in 2009, so we should see him in Edmonton this fall.

*** It hasn’t been officially announced yet, but the Oilers prospect camp will go July 5th to 9th, and if MPS is signed, Oiler fans could see him before September. This summer’s camp should be the most watched in years. Eberle, MPS, Hartikainen, Linus Omark, Phillippe Cornet, Toni Rajala, this year’s picks and possibly Anton Lander will make it a hell of a camp.***

Scary Love

In one period Taylor Hall showed why he’s a top prospect, but also why there is some concern in how he plays.

Hall’s skills are top-notch and I love how he isn’t afraid to try things with the puck. The video isn’t the best angle of the hit, because it wasn’t from behind, but rather two guys colliding shoulder-to-shoulder.

Hall is not afraid to after any puck, and clearly he isn’t afraid of a collision, but when his own GM says he needs to be more award on the ice, you have to be a bit wary wondering if he can handle those types of hits in the NHL.

Hall’s performance at the Memorial Cup will only strengthen TEAM HALL’s reasons why the Oilers should draft him, and it is hard not to see why people like him. I’d still take Seguin, but if the Oilers take Hall it will be hard to rip that pick. The kid can play, and his passion for the game is refreshing.

DD or JDD

I wonder how much, if any, the decision of hockey Canada to bring Devan Dubnyk to the Worlds instead of Jeff Deslauriers will have on the Oilers this summer.

If the Oilers had any say -- I can’t get any confirmation that they did -- and Dubnyk was the guy they recommended then it seems obvious who is ranked #2 behind Khabibulin.

I wonder how Deslauriers felt when he heard Dubnyk was going? I can tell you he wasn’t thrilled about it, and it’s fair for him to wonder if that has any bearing on where he stands within the Oilers’ goaltending ranks.

My money is that Dubnyk will be here longer than Deslauriers. Of course, Khabibulin’s court case this summer will have an impact of whether the Oilers move JDD before training camp. If the Oilers keep both DD and JDD through training camp, the chance of them losing one for nothing would be high. I think they might move JDD at the draft, and then sign a veteran journeyman this summer. He would be one injury away from getting called up to Edmonton, and that will be an intriguing carrot that Tambellini can dangle. Would a veteran guy like Curtis Sanford or Brent Krahn be of interest to Steve Tambellini?

'Wow' is all I will say

We Are LeBron Video - Watch more Funny Videos

(Big shout out to loyal Nation reader and TEAM 1260 listener Brian for sending me that video)

After watching this video, do you applaud the city of Cleveland for pulling out all the stops to try and entice Lebron to stay, or does it look like begging? I thought it wasn’t bad, in a cheesy sort of way. Listen to the song without watching the video, and you’ll groan a bit. Carl Monday’s moustache is awesome and Mark Brown the furniture pitchman made me laugh out loud. Some days we need to not take ourselves so serious…

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#1 Tracie
May 17 2010, 03:47PM

With either pick, I'm very excited about the future of the Oilers and very thankful I'm not a Toronto fan! Although Sunday's game with all of the Oilers prospects was kind of a bust, I think we have a bright future to look forward to! What do TO fans have? oh right! they have Kessel and Celine Dion! LOL

#3 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 08:23PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

J.Stall.....four years and has accomplished something pretty special in the NHL vs A. Hemsky whom in his 8 years has done nothing special.

So did Darren Helm.........

#4 DoubleJ
May 17 2010, 09:03PM
Pilgor09 wrote:

Hall doesnt need to will his team to win. They have like 6 nhl players in the making..........

And he's the best player out of all of them. He's a winner. It's important to teams to get a winner. I don't know what Sequins records are, but everyone knows Hall's records he has won at every level so far.

#5 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 09:53PM
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Are you aware of the fact J Stall can play all minutes of the game ? J Stall would also be on the top line of most teams, with Sid and Malkin it's kinda hard don't you think ? Hemsky is one dimensional you can't say the same about Stall.

Let's go through every team and name their number one centre

Anahiem: Getzlaf.............Atlanta: Antapov............ Boston: Savard............. Buffalo: Roy........... Calgary: Stajan.......... Carolina: Staal................. Chicago: Toews........... Colarado: Stastny............ Columbus: Vermette.......... Dallas: Richards.......... Detroit: Datsyuk......... Edmonton: Gagner.............. Florida: Weiss............. Los Angelas: Kopitar.............. Minnesota: Koivu................. Montreal: Plekanac............. Nashville: Arnott............. New Jersey: Zajac......... New York Islanders: Weight............ New York Rangers: Prospal........... Ottawa: Spezza............. Philadelphia: Richards.......... Phoenix: Lombardi.......... Pittsburgh: Crosby......... San Jose: Thorton........... St. Louis: Mcdonald.......... Tampa Bay: Lecavlier.............. Toronto: Grabovski........... Vancouver: Sedin.............. Washington: Backstrom

The only ones i see as him being the #1 is Calgary, Nashville, Islanders, Rangers, Toronto, Edmonton, Toronto

The other players are more dominant in their position than Staal. The kid has put up a career high of 49 points. Although he is probably a better defensive player than some, he is not first line material

#6 misfit
May 18 2010, 08:16AM

It's Staal.

#7 Archaeologuy
May 18 2010, 10:05AM

@Ryan14

Anyone who supports that trade proposal should be forced to sit in the corner and think about what they've just done.

#8 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 18 2010, 04:20PM
Crash wrote:

Evidence, my opinion is all based on evidence and on my own thoughts...

Maybe it's not as cut and dry as I think it is...but then again....maybe it is. Time will tell...

For the record, from what I've heard and seen Seguin is really only ranked number one by one branch of scouting...virtually every other scouting service outside of Central scouting has Hall number one..

This includes ISS, tsn and the Red Line Report...not to mention that media such as Bob MacKenzie, Doug MacLean etc. have mentioned many times now that a majority of NHL scouts have Hall ranked number one.

you had me until you included doug maclean on your list....

the 1 armed midget dancing on 118ave has more credibilty than that ass clown maclean

#9 GSC
May 17 2010, 02:08PM

As an Ohio native, I would be very sad to see LeBron leave Cleveland. He was born and raised in OH, played throughout his career there, and saved a floundering Cavaliers franchise.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave. He looked almost relieved to be ousted by the Celtics, like he was happy that it was all over. I do believe, however, that Mike Brown being sent off would only help Cleveland's chances of keeping LeBron around...those two clearly have some friction.

#10 Hands McDangles
May 17 2010, 02:11PM

Gregor...

After watching Hall this weekend, I have switched my pick for the 9th time. I am back with Hall. My main reasoning is the intangible of being a winner. We have no idea what Seguin will perform like in high pressure situations but we know how Hall will. Even Don Cherry predicted it on Saturday, so you know it will happen now.

One prospect who played well on the weekend who you forgot to mention is Toni Rajala with Brandon. He scored 2 goals. Do you have any more info on him?

Finally, do you have any thoughts on McKeen's journal article on the entertainment district?

#11 common sense
May 17 2010, 02:25PM

Jason, you've stated your preference for Seguin but how much have you seen this guy play and not just read the latest central scouting reports? I'll be honest and say that I really am not in a position to make an educated choice because I haven't seen Seguin play and I've only seen a little bit of Hall play in the WJCs. Let's not pick a Patrick Stefan or a Doug Wickenheiser just because we have to have a centerman.

#12 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 02:44PM

@common sense

Patrik Stefan played in the IHL and only 30ish games a year. That alone should be enough of a difference between Stefan and Seguin for Oilers to stop worrying about the Stefan-Factor.

#13 misfit
May 17 2010, 02:56PM

I'm definitely not worried about Seguin being a bust, I just think you take the best player available, and I can't see much evidence that Hall isn't that guy.

#14 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 03:10PM
misfit wrote:

In my mind, the only thing that even makes this a debate is Seguins 5x5 scoring in one year.

Hall's resume all around is far more impressive, and he's got to be the favorite for back to back memorial cup MVP...pretty impressive stuff.

To me, the Oilers going with Seguin seems too much like them being sneaky, trying to figure out who's going to be better 5 years from now... that's a pretty tall task.

Seguin = Paul Stastny. Hall = Kovalchuck (maybe only 95% of Kovalchuk....but with a winnnig resume)

#15 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 03:20PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Paul Stastny?

#16 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 03:23PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Paul Stastny?

#17 OvenChicken8 - Team JSBM
May 17 2010, 03:32PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I'd rather have a winning Kovalchuk than a Statsny if that's the case.

#18 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 03:32PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Why Paul Stastny?

If Hall is a winning Kovalchuk, why wouldnt Seguin be a defensively responsible Spezza?

#19 Packer
May 17 2010, 03:34PM

Jason,why did Seguin not make the world junior team ?? Has any number 1 draft pick not made that team in the year he is being drafted ? Big red flag for me !

#20 Moop
May 17 2010, 03:38PM

So uhhh...when does work start on the "Please Stay, Ales" video that we're gonna need in a couple of years?

#21 Wanye
May 17 2010, 03:39PM

Edmonton makes a video like that, Dany Heatley is an Oiler.

That's all I have to say on this matter*

*looks longingly at Heatley Jersey in the closet collecting dust*

*Please note I hate Dany Heatley and I am glad he isn't an Oiler

#22 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 03:41PM

@Packer

He wasnt #1 but Duchene didnt make the WJHC team. I dont think Jordan Stall did either. Looks like Eric Staal didnt do it either.

I'm only looking at their Stats pages on the NHL website. I dont know if they're totally accurate for the WJHC, but they seem to be.

#23 Wanye
May 17 2010, 03:50PM
Tracie wrote:

Those props are from me Tracie. I also hate Celine Dion

#24 Sean
May 17 2010, 03:52PM
Packer wrote:

Hall did not make the Team Canada Jr Roster in 09. That was Halls second year in the ohl. Sequin just finished his second year and just happened to tie Hall for points.

I am quite sure if Sequin were to return to Junior next year that he would make the Team Canada roster.

I like both-Hall seems more dynamic my concern is the number of scary hits he takes.

#25 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 04:41PM

This situation really reminds me of the Duchene/Tavares dispute. Hall being Tavares and Seguin being Duchene. If it were me i would take duchene because he does all the nitty gritty things in the defensive end. Like Seguin i believe that his game is more well rounded than Halls. Its hard for fans to appprecitate a well rounded game opposed to a dynamic offensive player.

If the oilers could snag another top 5 pick, we need to try and get Gudbranson. The guy is the next Chris Pronger.

Finally what is all this crap that i hear that the oilers could trade Penner Cogliano and Hemsky for Malkin. That is the craziest thing i've heard. Why would the penguins trade the 3rd best player in the league of 2 above average player's and a younger guy. I undertand they need wingers but they should look at trading Jordan Staal before they even consider trading Malkin.....

#26 Ken
May 17 2010, 04:42PM

In regard to Hall taking scary hits I saw beukebeum crush seguin face first into the boards,i think any young player worth his salt is going to run into this until they totally develop ie ovetchkin at world junior

#27 DDP
May 17 2010, 04:44PM
GSC wrote:

Could this be the reason Lebron seemed releived that season was over and the reason he's leaving town???

And I thought this sort of stuff only happenend in the Oilers locker room!

#28 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 04:56PM

@ Arch

That's what I see Seguin being. Solid, all around #1 center that gives you 20 - 30 goals, 75 - 85 points.

Nothing wrong with that, and something I'd love to see on the Oilers. Just not at the expense of Kovalchuk type numbers.

#29 Quicksilver ballet
May 17 2010, 05:03PM

There's no denying who the #1 pick should be at the June entry draft. Do they take the NHL ready Hall or do they take the one more year in the junior leagues Tyler Seguin?....lets see if we can blow it.

Send Hemsky and MPS to Pittsburgh for Jordon Stall and perhaps relieve some of the pressure on the shoulders of either Hall or Seguin.

#30 Nick Dynasty
May 17 2010, 05:04PM

@Packer

Matt Duchene got cut from the world jr. squad in 09 and look at him now. He looks like he'll be a solid NHLer for years to come despite not having that experience. Granted he didn't go #1 but he was at least in the running leading up to the draft last year.

#31 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 05:11PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

I dont know where to limit either guy in terms of goals. You hear MacG speak about both guys in the same breath as previous 1st/2nd overall guys like Stamkos, Tavares, and Malkin. How can I say that I think Hall will score more when Seguin scored more than him in the OHL, and much more 5 v 5.

Honestly, I'm not a good enough prognosticator to see exactly how their NHL careers will unfold.

#32 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 05:12PM

@Quicksilver ballet

Who says Seguin needs another year?

And why are we trading our 1st line RW and a potential stud prospect LW for a second liner?

#33 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 05:15PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Hemsky and MPS?

Wow.

#34 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 05:16PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Why does everyone think that Jordan Staal is good enough to trade for Hemsky and MPS! Hemsky is a point per game player and MPS is developing quite nicely. Jordan staal isnt near a point a game. I know your going to say his all around game is better than hemsky's, but we need somone who can still put up at least a point per game

#35 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 05:17PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Ya, it's obviously really hard to say. Just from the little I've seen/read, makes me think Seguins goal scoring wont translate to the NHL level. Kane was a big time goal scorer in the OHL as well.

#36 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 05:20PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

14 goals as a rookie isnt that bad.

EDIT: Like Hall about half of Kane's goals in Juniour came on the PowerPlay. Does that reflect on Hall's goalscoring and how it translates to the NHL? I have no idea. Kane was never going to be the 1st or 2nd overall pick.

#37 Quicksilver ballet
May 17 2010, 05:39PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Who says Seguin needs another year?

In Edmonton he won't get that third year in the O....he'll get rushed along like the other younger kids (Gagner, Pouliot and Cogliano)

Hemsky....haven't we had enough of his "i'm already doing more than my share" attitude? If Hemsky's our best player then (Ryan Smyth)we're in alot of trouble, the only thing he's proven here is he's a non-leader. You mixed up the first and second line combo there Archy.....Hemsky's a second line RW and Stall is a first line center.

#38 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 05:47PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Ah, yes. Jordan Stall's less than 50 points a year SCREAMS 1st line center, and Hemsky's point per game play is clearly 2nd line material. Gotcha.

Seguin is the OHL player of the year and has been ranked #1 by several scouting services, but he needs to stay in the OHL because...the guy who thinks Hemsky is a 2nd liner says so? Sure.

#39 White Copper and Blue 99
May 17 2010, 05:47PM
Moop wrote:

It Doesn't

Hemsky sucks.

The question is when do we start filming "Please Stay, Sheldon"

#40 Pajamah
May 17 2010, 06:47PM
White Copper and Blue 99 wrote:

It Doesn't

Hemsky sucks.

The question is when do we start filming "Please Stay, Sheldon"

Never

Souray sucks.

Hey....you're right, being a douche is fun!

#41 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 06:49PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

14 goals as a rookie isnt that bad.

I'm talking about Patrick Kane

#42 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 17 2010, 06:50PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

And all credibility is now out the window.

#43 Quicksilver ballet
May 17 2010, 07:09PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

I feel Stall would be that point a game player as the top center here in Edmonton...don't you? Playing behind Crosby and Malkin tells me he's capable of much more here in Edmonton.

How often has Hemsky had an 70'ish point season? He's a top line winger here in Edmonton but on a team that has a chance to win he's getting 14 mins a night and not 18-20 like here, don't get me wrong i wouldn't give Hemsky away for anything less than the second pick or a No. 1 center.

The more we see of Taylor Hall the clearer it becomes who the better player is....correct?

....or are we going to continue to project that Seguin may eventually be the player Hall already is?

#44 Quicksilver ballet
May 17 2010, 07:14PM

Sorry double o be

I forgot my wallet at home...i didn't lose it.

#45 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 07:22PM

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Why did I have Evander Kane in my head?

#46 Archaeologuy
May 17 2010, 07:33PM

@Quicksilver ballet

I see Hemsky as an 18-20 min a night player on 20-25 teams in the league at least. I dont think Jordan Staal will be a point a game, but I see him being one of those guys that teams need to get to go to the Championships for the length of his career.

Hall has not stopped impressing people, but I dont have the opportunity to compare him to Seguin. Whoever makes this decision cant base it off the playoffs alone. I wonder if we talk about Seguin the same if he's on that bigtime Windsor team instead of Plymouth. We've all had the chance to see Hall more than Seguin, is that enough to take him over Seguin?

All the pressure in the world is on Stu MacGregor's shoulders.

#47 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 07:33PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Staal has proven nothing in the nhl except he is a very good 3rd line centre. Hemsky is X2 more valuable to us than Staal would be. Hemsky is probably the only top 6 forward who is willing to go to the tough areas. Why do u think he gets all these injuries. Hemsky would be on the top line of most nhl teams.

#48 RossCreekNation
May 17 2010, 07:42PM

I've said for a while now - MPS is a gem... I was pissed off when he fell in the Oilers laps, and now I'm certain I had reason to be. IMO, he's a lock to make the team (if he signs). Eberle, on the other hand, may need 35 games or so in the A (couldn't hurt). So... thats a RW & a LW... next up, a C ;-)

#49 Pilgor09
May 17 2010, 07:50PM
RossCreekNation wrote:

I think eberle is a lock to make the team next year. With the resume he has put up its hard for them not to take him next year. In this last preseason he lead the team in scoring chances. The guy suceeds at every level he plays at so theres no reason he wont put up at least 50 in his rookie year

#50 third string plumber
May 17 2010, 07:55PM

Anyone else watching Windsor-Calgary tonight. You can guess which team i'm cheering for!!!