AT RANDOM: THIS, THAT AND THE OTHER THING

Robin Brownlee
May 18 2010 11:18PM

2009 Memorial Cup - Windsor Spitfires v Kelowna Rockets

Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin? Discuss . . .

I hope Bingofuel shat his shorts reading that opening line because I told him just last night that first sentence would be the entirety of my next offering in an effort to draw traffic in the seemingly endless and circular debate about Hall and Seguin.

I'm not going to rehash the rehash on that overdone bit of business -- write an item about Steve Tambellini falling down the stairs and hitting his head or the arena question and it turns into Hall-Seguin XXIV -- but I do have some thoughts on the wood Oilers fans are sporting over Hall's performance at the Memorial Cup.

Yes, Hall is a player. Yes, he's been dynamite. Yes, the kid is a stud with sick skills, plenty of jam and he's damn sure grabbed the spotlight away from Seguin with his performance for the Windsor Spitfires in Brandon.

But . . .

HOW MANY FINGERS?

Framed by what Windsor GM Warren Rychel (pictured above) told Jason Gregor last week about Hall's penchant for getting starched, if I was Tambellini, I'd be taking notes after seeing Hall take yet another wicked hit, this time from Travis Harmonic of the Wheat Kings.

Rychel said: "I haven’t seen a player over the last three years get hit more than him, harder more than him. He doesn’t get hit a lot because he is shifty and his speed, but sometimes he gets cleaned really hard and it’s amazing he gets up. Nothing seems to bother him."

And it doesn't seem to bother Tambellini, who told 630 CHED the following when he was asked about Hall's penchant for getting laid out:

"That play there, you don't like to see any player, let alone Taylor Hall, go into the boards that way. It was what every coach, player, parent, you get just a bad feeling when you see something like that. Thank God he was able to get up and perform the way he did.

"But he's reckless player and he plays with no fear. That's just the way he is. He's finding  a way to get to the net, so I think overall from a scouting perspective you have to admire that."

Heaven help Tambellini and the Oilers if they select Hall and he doesn't learn to get out of the way. Taking hits like Hall does makes for a short career when it's NHL defencemen, and not kids, laying the smack down.

MORE LEFT COASTERS?

-- It appears Tambellini might be leaning on his Left Coast connections again with speculation from CKNW Radio that Vancouver Giants GM Scott Bonner is the leading candidate to take over as GM with the Oilers AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City next season.

If true, and I wouldn't bet against it, Edmonton-based player agent Ritch Winter and The Sports Corporation will certainly have an in with the new AHL boss -- Bonner is buddies with agents Manny DeSousa and Gerry Johannson of TSC.

Bonner's been around the WHL a long time and his resume with the Giants, one of junior hockey's big money operations under owner Ron Toigo, is certainly impressive. He knows talent and he's been good at acquiring it -- like David Musil, the son of Oilers scout Frank Musil.

One thing I'm wondering, though. If Bonner is the guy, will he be given the freedom to bring in his own coach? If so, what does that mean to Rob Daum, who has been a good soldier on the farm in Springfield?

THIS AND THAT . . .

-- If Glen Sather gets the heave-ho from owner Jim Dolan as GM of the New York Rangers, might Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe be a candidate? Well, it might be worth a phone call on the part of the Rangers, but I don't see it. Maybe Mark Messier gets the gig.

-- I'm wondering if we might see some turnover in the Oilers scouting staff when the Entry Draft in Los Angeles is over. I haven't been told by anybody who calls the shots there's changes in the offing, but it stands to reason the entire staff won't stay intact.

-- Speaking of the draft, Gregor and I will be attending in L.A., so there won't be any shortage of live coverage here at Oilersnation. I've done a bushel of them, and it's a lot of fun. It's also the best event, bar none, to get the scoop from the people who call the shots.

-- Still waiting on an announcement from the Oilers that radio play-by-play man Rod Phillips is retiring after 37 seasons. What's the hold up?

UPDATE: INK FOR MPS A FORMALITY?

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#151 RossCreekNation
May 19 2010, 10:12PM

Via Darren Dreger...

GSP wrestles Georges Laraque Friday on OTR. I know what happened, but can't say...unreal! Tune in 6pm (et).

#152 Oil_Loc8or
May 19 2010, 11:41PM

Is MPS better then Hall and Seguin ?

#153 Oil_Loc8or
May 19 2010, 11:45PM

I'm pretty sure every one knows what happens.lol

#154 Bourne
May 19 2010, 11:56PM

I don't want to trade for old guys who don't want to be here anymore. The only vets the Oilers should bring in are some transitional vets to help the kids along, guys who would be happy to be here. If we want a top defenseman or first line forward, there's only one place we're gonna find them now - in the draft.

#155 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 19 2010, 11:59PM
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Is MPS better then Hall and Seguin ?

Unlikely, but he'll be good.

#156 Senator Theo
May 20 2010, 12:00AM
RossCreekNation wrote:

Calgary Hitmen's Jimmy Bubnick now point leader at Memorial Cup with 3g, 5a, 8pts... Taylor Hall 2nd with 6 pts.

~Better trade the 1st to Atlanta for this Jimmy Bubnick cat~

I thought hall was supposed to step up in these situations?

~what a bust!~

#157 Team Hall
May 20 2010, 12:01AM

Ya, remember the other year when Pisani led all players in playoff points. Yeah.

#158 Senator Theo
May 20 2010, 12:01AM
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Is MPS better then Hall and Seguin ?

He may be. I'm really excited to see how he develops.

At the very least, he'll bring some of the qualities that many people are hoping Hall might bring.

#159 Team Dean
May 20 2010, 12:04AM

I'd like to go on record as saying that trading away Hemmer and Penner this summer would be lacklustre. Then what we do? Trade some of our picks and prospects for some established vets to coach along the young players. Oh wait, that's what Penner and Hemmer already are. We already have the vets we need. Just plug the holes out of the bargain bin in August. The Bargain Shop.

#160 Senator Theo
May 20 2010, 12:06AM

@Team Dean

Unless the trade involves Boston and the second overall pick, I don't want to see Penner or Hemmer going anywhere.

props.

#161 Mike Modano's Dog
May 20 2010, 12:18AM
Dyckster wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but did I miss something?

The talk is the reason that Tambo is in Germany right now is for the purpose of signing MPS and Lander, as well. I, for one, hope he does!

MPS is looking like a great player for our future, if not the present. (You've got to check out Sweden at the Worlds to check out his game... that's all TSN is talking about - he's Sweden's first line LW right now.) Speed, size, effort, and skill.

I'm really excited to see this guy here, and I really hope we get him here NEXT YEAR...this is the happiest I've been about the Oilers, well, all year as a matter of fact! :D

#162 Oil_Loc8or
May 20 2010, 12:21AM

I'm really like what I see from MPS, I think he could be our best young forward moving on.

#163 Mike Modano's Dog
May 20 2010, 12:33AM

I think right now he is...a highly flammable comment to make on here, to be certain, but I agree with you and I stand by it. I would take him over any of our other current prospects. He does possess the ability to be a true first-line LW, an absolute weapon to have out there.

I'll be very interested to see how he does the rest of the way this tournament, as they face tougher and tougher opponents leading up to Russia,(I am cheering for Canada, of course!) The only thing that scares the crap out of me is seeing Ovechkin or someone who can really hit try to knock him senseless as he has been Sweden's best player thus far...I only hope the young guy is ready for it!

By the by, if people want they can also see Linus Omark on Sweden's team, too. (I love the Worlds, if you couldn't tell, that is.)

#164 VMR
May 20 2010, 08:39AM
Team Hall wrote:

Damn, your right. If we were smart we would have traded him for Niklas Lidstrom and Zetterburg that offseason.

#165 The Towel Boy
May 20 2010, 09:53AM
Dyckster wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but did I miss something?

Oh, I was just going with Brownlee's update in his article:

"UPDATE: INK FOR MPS A FORMALITY? Tambellini has returned to the World Championships and I'm told the main reason for his flight back to Germany is to complete contracts with 2009 first-rounder (10th overall) Magnus Paajarvi-Svenson and second-round pick (40th overall) Anton Lander. Don't be surprised if announcements about contracts for both are made by the end of the tournament."

#166 MrCondor
May 20 2010, 01:10PM
Oil_Loc8or wrote:

Agreed 100%

But remember this is a speedy forward on international ice. The game is a lot different on NHL ice.

I like what I see, but everything with a grain of salt.

#167 Rusty Duggan
May 21 2010, 02:56AM

Given the Oilers philosophy of speed and skill, I believe it's a no-brainer that they will pick Hall.

@Robin Brownlee