MacGregor spills the beans: Hall will go first!

Robin Brownlee
May 25 2010 11:31PM

Windsor Spitfires Taylor Hall hoists the Memorial Cup after defeating the Brandon Wheat Kings in Brandon

Edmonton Oilers chief scout Stu MacGregor came out and said it Tuesday night -- the Oilers will take Windsor Spitfires star and two-time Memorial Cup winner and MVP Taylor Hall first. Then, they'll take Tyler Seguin.

Now that I've got your attention, I'm talking, of course, about the order of interviews being conducted by an Edmonton contingent that includes MacGregor, GM Steve Tambellini, president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe and OHL scouts Kent Hawley and Brad Davis at the NHL Combine in Toronto.

Having interviewed 22 players Tuesday, the Oilers will be sitting down with Hall on Wednesday for a 20-minute session just before the lunch hour. They will interview Seguin Thursday.

So, does who goes first in the poke-and-prod sessions between Hall and Seguin telegraph who goes first on draft day in Los Angeles, where the Oilers have first pick? MacGregor, surprising nobody, isn't saying.

MacGregor's silence aside, don't bet on it.

TALK IS CHEAP

While some people insist player interviews at the combine carry a lot of weight in the decision-making process, and that can be the case if a prospect absolutely soils the sheets in the gab session -- or shows up for the draft with two black eyes like brawler Link Gaetz did back in 1988  -- MacGregor is downplaying the interview.

"It's a minor part of it all," MacGregor said from Toronto after wrapping up interviews on Tuesday. "It's about getting to know them a bit more. We've already had discussions with these kids.

"Steve (Tambellini) wants to make sure we go through the process. Each and every day you look at it and you evaluate it. Maybe you can pick up something you missed."

Realistically, and even if MacGregor won't say it, neither Hall nor Seguin are going to change anybody's mind with what they say in these sessions. MacGregor, himself, has already had two face-to-face talks with Hall and Seguin, as have other members of the Oilers contingent.

Nobody's going to come up with a psyche-probing question that's going to tip the scales, are they? In the case of Hall and Seguin, no.

CAN'T MISS?

While MacGregor declined an invitation to slip me his list on the down-low, I'm still of the mind the Oilers will take Seguin, even with Hall's MVP performance for Windsor at the MC in Brandon.

With the majority of Oilers fans clamouring for Hall in the wake of his playoff performance, many suggesting there's no good reason to take Seguin first overall -- really? -- the call will come down to MacGregor.

One thing perhaps lost in the debate about the dynamic Hall and the talented Seguin, the right-handed centre from the Plymouth Whalers, is that maybe there is no bad pick from this tandem.

"I don't think there's a miss here," MacGregor said. "We've seen both these players a lot and both of them are special for different reasons. Having said that, you want to get the best guy."

Think Seguin. Just saying...

DAMAGED GOODS

I was chatting with Bob Stauffer today and we got around to talking about former Oiler Eric Brewer, and whether it would make sense for Tambellini to pursue him, maybe in a package with tough guy D.J. King.

The Oilers, of course, are thin on the back end beyond Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert and Ladislav Smid, if you assume Sheldon Souray is history, which he is. Likewise in the tough guy department, considering the Oilers will likely ice a small and young line-up and are weaklings beyond willing Zack Stortini.

We got to plugging names into scenarios, and Brewer and King came up in the conversation. With Brewer, it's because the Blues might be looking to move him and his $4.25 million cap hit because they have a young, loaded defence that includes Erik Johnson, veteran Barret Jackman and Roman Polak, to name just three, vying for minutes.

King, of course, is an up-and-coming ruffian who can play a little, and he's an RFA who made $550,000 this season. He'll be cheap and he'd fit better into Pat Quinn's "has to be able to play" edict than a re-cycled cop like Georges Laraque or Derek Boogaard.

Brewer, now 31, is worth  his cap hit when healthy, but that's a big "if" when you consider shoulder surgery and back problems have limited him to 87 games the past two seasons.

Even if the Blues would take a Patrick O'Sullivan or Robert Nilsson in a swap, I'd pass on Brewer because of his recent medical history. It makes no sense to spend north of $4 million on a guy who might play fewer than 60 games. The Oilers, for the time being, already have that in Souray.

As for King, 26, I'd make a phone call on him, but the first questions I'd ask are about the right hand injuries (he needed surgery) and shoulder problems he's had. There's some risk with him, too, but it's a $600,000 or $700,000 gamble, not a $4.25-million roll of the dice.

THIS AND THAT

-- I don't get it when some fans espouse the need for the Oilers to acquire an agitator -- fill in the name of your favourite loudmouthed, face-washer-cheapshot-artist here.

If you're talking about adding hard-nosed players who make a team more difficult to play against -- a Steve Ott or a Daniel Carcillo -- fine. If you're talking about the type of players who wag their gums or do much of their handiwork after the whistle, that makes no sense.

The Oilers don't have enough toughness in their line-up to take care of the small, soft players they already have. So how is it they would benefit from bringing in a sh*t-disturber to start stuff they can't finish?

-- MacGregor and the rest of he Oilers staff will take a backseat when prospects go through their fitness testing, starting Friday.

The Oilers contingent will leave it to fitness consultant Simon Bennett to decipher results from the testing sessions.

-- Mark Pysyk of the Edmonton Oil Kings, Nino Niederreiter of the Portland Winter Hawks and Vladimir Tarasenko of Novosibirsk (Russia) are among the top prospects interviewed by the Oilers already.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#51 Puritania
May 26 2010, 11:08AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

You mean I might not have to scrub the blood out of my eyes after seeing a madjam post? *Highfives RB and sings a song of praise to the gods*

Avatar
#52 Ball Buster
May 26 2010, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Next up, is Connor McJesus.

Power trip aside, does "madjam" recognize the problem here?

Is he unaware of the need to hit the Enter button twice on the keyboard to make paragraphs?

Or does he believe that his incredibly long run-on sentences foster lucid debate?

I, for one, learned a while ago to skip his posts. He may actually be saying something interesting but it is too painful to try and read his alphabet soup.

And I have to agree with the poster who said that there is a nefarious purpose to everything the Oilers say in regards to the draft. I think they are going for Seguin but want Boston to think otherwise.

Can we get a Draft Day countdown on the page? Hmmmm?

Avatar
#53 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 11:35AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can't wait to see the public outcry if the Oilers pick Seguin. Everyone and their brother thinks they know for a fact that Hall is the better player. Either way, I`ll be happy.

Avatar
#54 Vince
May 26 2010, 11:38AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin

Hall seems to have the personality that likes the spotlight while Seguin appears more reserved in nature. Do you think Seguin might prefer to play in a place like Boston, where hockey is not #1, because of this?

Are there any other factors that do not relate directly to on-ice performance that the Oilers are looking at? For example, I think might be more marketable to the fans. Will the Oilers be considering factors such as this in their decision?

Avatar
#55 Crackenbury
May 26 2010, 11:40AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

I can't wait to see the public outcry if the Oilers pick Seguin. Everyone and their brother thinks they know for a fact that Hall is the better player. Either way, I`ll be happy.

The Oilers decision to select Seguin was made long before the Memorial Cup. They won't let Hall's MVP performance alter that decision. Hall is a great player, so is Seguin. Seguin fits their needs. Oh yeah, and he's a center!

Avatar
#56 Team Hall
May 26 2010, 11:42AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Agreed RB, if we could get a good fighter/player, I would certainly go for it. Maybe we could trade for or sign one, but I somehow doubt it. We may have to settle for BG. You take the cards you're dealt I guess. And by the way, most of us appreciate that you come on and comment with us, please don't let a few knuckleheads ruin it for the rest of us.

By the way, what a great SCF matchup for the NHL. Bettman is giggling with delite. Old school, big market US teams that haven't won boo in a long time matching up? That is great news, I look forward to this one. Ratings should be up in the US. Some mystique to both franchises too, it will be a big deal whoever wins this one. I would rather Chicago due to their drought, and the great sports town, and the curse they've had since the Bulls/Bears. Da Hawks.

Avatar
#57 Mr Dressup
May 26 2010, 11:45AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I read an article by a Bruins fan making a great case for Seguin: 1. The next best player on his team had 60pts. Sounds like a safe pick 2. He has yet to fill out, whereas Hall has already. He could get better/bigger. 3. He quoted someone saying Seguin skates better than Toews/Yzerman. Not bad. 4. Someone he quoted said the guy compares to Datsyuk, but a better skater.

I am this close to switching sides right now.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hopefully the Oilers ask Hall why he didn't go to Erie when they drafted him.

Avatar
#60 nullterm
May 26 2010, 12:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I just about choked to death on my coffee out of joy when I read the article title.

Damn you, Brownlee, damn you.

Avatar
#62 Kevin
May 26 2010, 12:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Knowing Boston, wants Hall, Oil brass should pick Hall with their 1st pick and then trade with Boston to get #2 overall and take Segan. That's right why debate who we should take. Get them both ! Hemsky + Cogs + Omark for Bostons 1st pick and a 2nd round pick. Let's face it Hemsky will not be signing here when he comes due in two years. The Oilers should have the asset make-up to get Bostons Pick. If we do'nt- then we have bigger problems.

Avatar
#63 Senator Theo
May 26 2010, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Mr Dressup wrote:

I read an article by a Bruins fan making a great case for Seguin: 1. The next best player on his team had 60pts. Sounds like a safe pick 2. He has yet to fill out, whereas Hall has already. He could get better/bigger. 3. He quoted someone saying Seguin skates better than Toews/Yzerman. Not bad. 4. Someone he quoted said the guy compares to Datsyuk, but a better skater.

I am this close to switching sides right now.

Switching sides? Are you saying you like Tyler, or you "like" like Tyler?

Avatar
#64 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
May 26 2010, 12:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

We can't afford to take the second best kid in this draft. My horoscope said this morning something's going to happen and allow us both these kids.

C'mon Tambo..put your fingerprints on this hockey club, restore the faith, show us some of this expect the unexpected please.

Avatar
#65 Gerald R. Ford
May 26 2010, 12:35PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

You got greedy with the exclamation point, Robin. Nice Pavlovian experiment though. heh

Both these kids are great, and I'll be happy with either one of them. I just hope that the 50% of The Nation that gets its heart broken on Draft Day can get over it and embrace whomever the selection is. Let's make him feel welcome and wanted, and then move forward. Cuz, either way, we're instantly better.

Avatar
#66 The Fish
May 26 2010, 12:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Off topic, but funny nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZP4Ugev82I

Avatar
#67 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 12:44PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
The Fish wrote:

Off topic, but funny nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZP4Ugev82I

Hahahaha. Most excellent.

Avatar
#68 Smokin' Ray
May 26 2010, 12:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Brownlee Since the Oilers are interviewing other prospects, other than Hall/Seguin, does this mean that they might swing a deal for a top 10 pick in this years draft? Hemsky maybe? Or is my OCD just running on overdrive?

Avatar
#69 Chaz
May 26 2010, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

The headline was cheap, cheesy and misleading, but I get a nickel a hit and so far I've made $4.25 from this piece, so I'll count my dough and deal with the shame.

Give me 2 cents a hit and I'll sit here all day refreshing Oilers Nation on my computer.

* Realizes he already does this for free.

"Hello, my name is Chaz, and I'm an Oilers Nation-aholic...."

Avatar
#70 Mr DeBakey
May 26 2010, 01:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Brewer for Souray is a Tee-rific idea.

More mobility, less Cap hit, one less bad contract sooner.

But Brewer has a NTC Doesn't he? . . re: one less bad contract sooner Khabibulin for Vokoun saves the Panthers $2.5 milion next season!

Avatar
#71 Hemmertime
May 26 2010, 01:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@madjam

Mod is one letter from God, and about the same thing for forums.

Avatar
#72 Hemmertime
May 26 2010, 01:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chaz wrote:

Give me 2 cents a hit and I'll sit here all day refreshing Oilers Nation on my computer.

* Realizes he already does this for free.

"Hello, my name is Chaz, and I'm an Oilers Nation-aholic...."

We should start a support group. Im addicted too. GF making fun of me yesterday with there's no games till Sept as I paused a movie seeing the damn headline of article. Well played Robin, well played.

Avatar
#74 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:13PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

ONLY the Oilers could overthink this and as much as i like and listen you Brownlee, Stauf, and Gregor, I am getting so sick of hearing from the "draft Seguin" camp. The kid has had ONE good year in the OHL. What could POSSIBLY put him ahead of Hall? Hall has done it all at every level he has ever played. Internationally, Nationally, in the limelight, out of the spotlight, back to back MVP's, and the list keeps going. Everyone keeps talking about the debate.. there shouldn't even BE a debate! "ya well the Oilers need a C" - HAll played Center every year up until this year! "ya well Hall plays with his head down too much"- Hall is a warrior and isn't scared to go into the danger zones tyo win a battle.. thats a GOOD thing! We need more Messier-esque players like that! "ya well Seguin is a center with a right handed shot"- SO WAS JASON BONSIGNORE!!!!! - Hell that should be reason enough to take Hall.

I have bled Oil my entire life, but if the Oilers draft Seguin straight up with nothing in return from Boston for the #1 Overall, i quit. period. I will burn my Oiler jerseys, put it on youtube and send the ashes to Tambi and the whole front office. This shouldn t even be discussed. The only way the Oiler win by NOT drafting Hall is to trade the #1 for the #2 and Lucic.

I like you Brownlee but come on man.. Hall is a face of the franchise type player... He has the skill, the attitude, the drive, the resume of WINNING, and that more than anything is what the Oilers need.

Avatar
#76 baggedmilk
May 26 2010, 02:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Robin Brownlee wrote:

You're missing something, and I've mentioned it before, but I'll run it again.

When I write/comment/talk about the Oilers selecting Seguin, it's not because I think they SHOULD, it's because I think they WILL, based on what I've learned.

It's healthy that fans debate the Hall-Seguin question and make their case for each because that's part of what makes it fun. But I'm not a fan and if I just chime in with what I think, as opposed to what I know (or believe I know) about what the team is going to do, I'm not providing readers with anything except another opinion. I want to let them know what's going on.

There you have it, Brownlee is not a fan of the Oilers. Knitting and herbal magic win again.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Thank god this isn't a three man race for 1st overall.

Avatar
#78 Senator Theo
May 26 2010, 02:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@JaroslavPouzar

The Oilers have said they are going to try and draft the BPA - if they determine that happens to be Seguin, what's wrong with that?

To say there "shouldn't even be a debate", seems rather shortsighted, IMO. I'm glad they're spending so much time looking a this and weighing out who they think is better. This is a very important pick for the franchise and I'm glad they're doing their research.

The Oilers and the scouts have seen each player play and interviewed them many times, so I'll trust their judgement over a fan that's got caught up the Memorial Cup excitement.

Just be patient, and whomever the Oilers take, it's going to be a big upgrade over what we had before the draft.

Avatar
#79 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Don't lie Robin, you know you are a fan just like the rest of us, you just HAVE you use the line that you are objective from the outside blah blah blah... You don't stop being human just because you bang out words on a keyboard for a profession. I hear what you are saying and thats cool, but don't pretend you don't get happier when the Oil win vs. lose.. I disagree with the statement that "the debate is healthy" tho.. It stresses me out.

Avatar
#80 Chaz
May 26 2010, 02:29PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
JaroslavPouzar wrote:

ONLY the Oilers could overthink this and as much as i like and listen you Brownlee, Stauf, and Gregor, I am getting so sick of hearing from the "draft Seguin" camp. The kid has had ONE good year in the OHL. What could POSSIBLY put him ahead of Hall? Hall has done it all at every level he has ever played. Internationally, Nationally, in the limelight, out of the spotlight, back to back MVP's, and the list keeps going. Everyone keeps talking about the debate.. there shouldn't even BE a debate! "ya well the Oilers need a C" - HAll played Center every year up until this year! "ya well Hall plays with his head down too much"- Hall is a warrior and isn't scared to go into the danger zones tyo win a battle.. thats a GOOD thing! We need more Messier-esque players like that! "ya well Seguin is a center with a right handed shot"- SO WAS JASON BONSIGNORE!!!!! - Hell that should be reason enough to take Hall.

I have bled Oil my entire life, but if the Oilers draft Seguin straight up with nothing in return from Boston for the #1 Overall, i quit. period. I will burn my Oiler jerseys, put it on youtube and send the ashes to Tambi and the whole front office. This shouldn t even be discussed. The only way the Oiler win by NOT drafting Hall is to trade the #1 for the #2 and Lucic.

I like you Brownlee but come on man.. Hall is a face of the franchise type player... He has the skill, the attitude, the drive, the resume of WINNING, and that more than anything is what the Oilers need.

If choosing Hall is such a no-brainer, then why does central scouting have him as Number 2 behind Seguin?

I appreciate the passion behind your argument, but to say Hall is the clear cut choice without any room for debate is a bit narrow minded IMO. It's like saying Coke is unequivocally better than Pepsi, and anyone who disagrees with this is wrong. I just don't get how people can be so sure of something so subjective.

By the way, Coke is unequivocally better than Pepsi.

Avatar
#81 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Senator Theo

Trust their judgement?? This is a team that has drafted Steve Kelly, and Jason Bonsignore... "Trust" hasn't exactly been earned in the drafting department. But i do agrre that they should do their research, but what POSSIBLE argument does the Seguin lovers out there have that the Oil should take him over Hall? not much.

Avatar
#82 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:36PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Chaz

Of course Coke is better than Pepsi... Coke is the Hall of cola drinks ;)

Only central scouting had Seguin ahead of Hall, but vitually every other outlet and NHL managers had Hall #1... Besides, that was the end of the regular seaon.. don t think for a minute if they re-polled after the Mem cup that Hall wouldn t be the consensus #1

Avatar
#83 Jaime
May 26 2010, 02:38PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Chaz wrote:

If choosing Hall is such a no-brainer, then why does central scouting have him as Number 2 behind Seguin?

I appreciate the passion behind your argument, but to say Hall is the clear cut choice without any room for debate is a bit narrow minded IMO. It's like saying Coke is unequivocally better than Pepsi, and anyone who disagrees with this is wrong. I just don't get how people can be so sure of something so subjective.

By the way, Coke is unequivocally better than Pepsi.

Because that central scouting list is compiled by 9 men. If one of those guys had preferred Hall instead of Seguin, which was the case in the midterm rankings, Hall would be number 1. Central Scouting also has Jeff Skinner ranked 34th overall among North American skaters, so you can get an idea for how much they really know about who's going where in the draft.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@JaroslavPouzar

Way to bring up stuff that happened 15 years ago.

You know Detroit once took Joe Murphy first overall over Brian Leetch.

And Dale McCourt over Mike Bossy

Avatar
#85 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 02:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
3
cheers
JaroslavPouzar wrote:

Trust their judgement?? This is a team that has drafted Steve Kelly, and Jason Bonsignore... "Trust" hasn't exactly been earned in the drafting department. But i do agrre that they should do their research, but what POSSIBLE argument does the Seguin lovers out there have that the Oil should take him over Hall? not much.

Snap out of it, man! This isnt your greasy older cousin's Oilers. Ace of Base cant be heard on the radio and Barry Fraser isnt allowed near a hockey player who cant legally rent a car. Those sh*tty drafting Oilers are gone the way of Kurt Cobain and Seinfeld.

Bullet Points why Seguin over Hall

1)He scored just as many points without the benefit of playing on an offensively gifted team.

2)He scored more goals

3)He scored almost twice as many even strength goals

4)He is widely considered a better playmaker on top of the fact he scored more goals than Hall

5)He is better defensively

6)He won OHL player of the year (as voted by the coaches I think)

7)He won Prospect of the year for the entire CHL, not Hall

8)He is a Centre whose coach actually wants to play at Centre

9)He doesnt dream specifically of playing for the team that selects directly after the Oilers

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Ace of Base was on 102.3 yesterday, damn women and their radio controls.

Avatar
#87 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

ok lets look at the less distant past then... Outside of Hemsky, and Gagner who have the Oilers drafted that has been an NHL impact player in the past 10 years? (Keeping in mind MPS, and Eberle etc. have yet to play in the NHL...) This teams drafting record up until the last year (if MPS, Omark, and Eberle pan out) has been far less than stellar.

Avatar
#88 Chaz
May 26 2010, 02:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jaime

Nine guys who have seen these two play way more than your average Oilers Nation reader. To tell you the truth, I would lean towards Hall as the better pick now as well. I just don't think it's a slam dunk like some people on here seem to think it is.

Avatar
#89 DoubleJ
May 26 2010, 02:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I really wanted Seguin during the regular season. I did the whole comparing who Seguin had to play with compared to Hall did in Windsor. My opinion has changed as I watch Toews and Richards play in the nhl playoffs. More so of Richards, he has won at every level. He plays better the bigger the game. He reminds me of Hall.

Hall is a winner, he has won at every level. He's the only player to be a mvp two years in a row in tourney most players never get to play in.

The same can't be said for Seguin so far. But Richards and Toews are natural centers. So what do I know? We're going to be better no matter who we get.

Avatar
#90 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 02:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

rebuttle..

1) Hall played 6 less games. 2) Hall played 6 less games. 3)Even strength or PP, Oilers need both to improve. 4)Hall plays a rougher game with more grit, piss and vinegar. 5)point conceded. 6)I would like to see voting if done after playoffs. 7)again, voting was done prio to playoffs. 8)Hall was a Center up until this year... big deal. 9)Who cares.... Iginla was an Oiler fan his whole life. Once paychecks start coming in and they are embraced by a city, the team you loved as a kid doesn't mean squat.

#10) HALL IS A PROVEN WINNER, on every stage on every level. Seguin is not.

Avatar
#91 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 03:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers

@JaroslavPouzar

I've heard all the rebuttals, I just dont think it's right to say there isnt an argument for the kid going #1. Clearly there is.

And if you want to discount what Seguin did because he played 6 more games then I want to discount what Hall did in the Memorial Cup because Seguin didnt have the chance to play.

Avatar
#92 Carry
May 26 2010, 03:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Brownlee: Ok, well then by that logic why didn't you also say that Taylor Hall was a "Left-shot winger"? Seems a little odd is all.

Everybody that has any clue about these guys already knows what position they play and if they are a left or right shot. Therefore there was no reason to even mention that. Plus, It was already mentioned that the Oiler's are not basing their pick on need but rather BPA, so what shot and if they are a winger/defenseman/center is a moot point.

Hall will be an Oiler on the 25th.

Avatar
#93 Travis Dakin
May 26 2010, 03:11PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
7
cheers
Carry wrote:

Brownlee: Ok, well then by that logic why didn't you also say that Taylor Hall was a "Left-shot winger"? Seems a little odd is all.

Everybody that has any clue about these guys already knows what position they play and if they are a left or right shot. Therefore there was no reason to even mention that. Plus, It was already mentioned that the Oiler's are not basing their pick on need but rather BPA, so what shot and if they are a winger/defenseman/center is a moot point.

Hall will be an Oiler on the 25th.

And if you had a clue you would know that the Oilers are short on legit right-handed centres. Therefore, mentioning that he is a right handed centre matters to a lot of people. Like me. You're nit picking like a little bitch. Stop it.

Avatar
#94 BUCK75
May 26 2010, 03:14PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Travis Dakin

Props.

Enough, if people care both of them are interviewed on the oilers website. Draw your own conclusions. I posted the links, but they must have been "madjammed".

Avatar
#95 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 03:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@JaroslavPouzar

I have a single question for you: Have you ever seen Tyler Seguin play a hockey game?

Avatar
#96 Ender
May 26 2010, 03:20PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

Snap out of it, man! This isnt your greasy older cousin's Oilers. Ace of Base cant be heard on the radio and Barry Fraser isnt allowed near a hockey player who cant legally rent a car. Those sh*tty drafting Oilers are gone the way of Kurt Cobain and Seinfeld.

Bullet Points why Seguin over Hall

1)He scored just as many points without the benefit of playing on an offensively gifted team.

2)He scored more goals

3)He scored almost twice as many even strength goals

4)He is widely considered a better playmaker on top of the fact he scored more goals than Hall

5)He is better defensively

6)He won OHL player of the year (as voted by the coaches I think)

7)He won Prospect of the year for the entire CHL, not Hall

8)He is a Centre whose coach actually wants to play at Centre

9)He doesnt dream specifically of playing for the team that selects directly after the Oilers

Props Arch. I have been going back and forth for awhile now and haven't really gotten into the debate much, largely because I haven't seen either of the guys skate enough to formulate my own opinion. Anything I throw out there is based entirely upon arguments gleaned from other people, many of whom are as unenlightened as I am. Nonetheless, you throw out some excellent points and I will say that at this stage, I would be slightly happier to see the Oil draft Seguin. There's no doubt that you're gambling on potential upside, but it could be a good gamble.

Either way, though, I don't think it's a make-or-break decision for the Oilers. Both kids are going to be players. For the guys like me who need to quantify everything (even when the numbers are completely made up) and using a scale of 2 as me and 99 as Gretzky, I see Hall as a 75 that could become an 80 and Seguin as a 70 that could become an 85. Even if they don't develop as much as you hope, you can't really miss.

Avatar
#97 baggedmilk
May 26 2010, 03:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Travis Dakin wrote:

And if you had a clue you would know that the Oilers are short on legit right-handed centres. Therefore, mentioning that he is a right handed centre matters to a lot of people. Like me. You're nit picking like a little bitch. Stop it.

Dakin angry. Dakin smash!

Avatar
#98 Crackenbury
May 26 2010, 03:26PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@JaroslavPouzar

Hand in your fan jersey, Seguin is going to be the Oilers pick. By the way, how many games of Seguin have you seen to form your opinion?

Avatar
#99 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 03:30PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ender

I'm sure that both will be very good. I just dont think Hall should be a slam dunk just because he plays on a good team. For every point I could have made, Crash could have come back at me with something just as valid about Hall.

I've seen just as little of these two as anyone else. I just love the fact that the kid is dedicated to being a better all around hockey player, scored significantly more even strength goals, and is still considered a better playmaker.

Avatar
#100 JaroslavPouzar
May 26 2010, 03:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Eddie Shore

I have an answer for you. Yes. Twice. Have I seen Hall play? Yes. more than twice.

Comments are closed for this article.