MacGregor spills the beans: Hall will go first!

Robin Brownlee
May 25 2010 11:31PM

Windsor Spitfires Taylor Hall hoists the Memorial Cup after defeating the Brandon Wheat Kings in Brandon

Edmonton Oilers chief scout Stu MacGregor came out and said it Tuesday night -- the Oilers will take Windsor Spitfires star and two-time Memorial Cup winner and MVP Taylor Hall first. Then, they'll take Tyler Seguin.

Now that I've got your attention, I'm talking, of course, about the order of interviews being conducted by an Edmonton contingent that includes MacGregor, GM Steve Tambellini, president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe and OHL scouts Kent Hawley and Brad Davis at the NHL Combine in Toronto.

Having interviewed 22 players Tuesday, the Oilers will be sitting down with Hall on Wednesday for a 20-minute session just before the lunch hour. They will interview Seguin Thursday.

So, does who goes first in the poke-and-prod sessions between Hall and Seguin telegraph who goes first on draft day in Los Angeles, where the Oilers have first pick? MacGregor, surprising nobody, isn't saying.

MacGregor's silence aside, don't bet on it.

TALK IS CHEAP

While some people insist player interviews at the combine carry a lot of weight in the decision-making process, and that can be the case if a prospect absolutely soils the sheets in the gab session -- or shows up for the draft with two black eyes like brawler Link Gaetz did back in 1988  -- MacGregor is downplaying the interview.

"It's a minor part of it all," MacGregor said from Toronto after wrapping up interviews on Tuesday. "It's about getting to know them a bit more. We've already had discussions with these kids.

"Steve (Tambellini) wants to make sure we go through the process. Each and every day you look at it and you evaluate it. Maybe you can pick up something you missed."

Realistically, and even if MacGregor won't say it, neither Hall nor Seguin are going to change anybody's mind with what they say in these sessions. MacGregor, himself, has already had two face-to-face talks with Hall and Seguin, as have other members of the Oilers contingent.

Nobody's going to come up with a psyche-probing question that's going to tip the scales, are they? In the case of Hall and Seguin, no.

CAN'T MISS?

While MacGregor declined an invitation to slip me his list on the down-low, I'm still of the mind the Oilers will take Seguin, even with Hall's MVP performance for Windsor at the MC in Brandon.

With the majority of Oilers fans clamouring for Hall in the wake of his playoff performance, many suggesting there's no good reason to take Seguin first overall -- really? -- the call will come down to MacGregor.

One thing perhaps lost in the debate about the dynamic Hall and the talented Seguin, the right-handed centre from the Plymouth Whalers, is that maybe there is no bad pick from this tandem.

"I don't think there's a miss here," MacGregor said. "We've seen both these players a lot and both of them are special for different reasons. Having said that, you want to get the best guy."

Think Seguin. Just saying...

DAMAGED GOODS

I was chatting with Bob Stauffer today and we got around to talking about former Oiler Eric Brewer, and whether it would make sense for Tambellini to pursue him, maybe in a package with tough guy D.J. King.

The Oilers, of course, are thin on the back end beyond Ryan Whitney, Tom Gilbert and Ladislav Smid, if you assume Sheldon Souray is history, which he is. Likewise in the tough guy department, considering the Oilers will likely ice a small and young line-up and are weaklings beyond willing Zack Stortini.

We got to plugging names into scenarios, and Brewer and King came up in the conversation. With Brewer, it's because the Blues might be looking to move him and his $4.25 million cap hit because they have a young, loaded defence that includes Erik Johnson, veteran Barret Jackman and Roman Polak, to name just three, vying for minutes.

King, of course, is an up-and-coming ruffian who can play a little, and he's an RFA who made $550,000 this season. He'll be cheap and he'd fit better into Pat Quinn's "has to be able to play" edict than a re-cycled cop like Georges Laraque or Derek Boogaard.

Brewer, now 31, is worth  his cap hit when healthy, but that's a big "if" when you consider shoulder surgery and back problems have limited him to 87 games the past two seasons.

Even if the Blues would take a Patrick O'Sullivan or Robert Nilsson in a swap, I'd pass on Brewer because of his recent medical history. It makes no sense to spend north of $4 million on a guy who might play fewer than 60 games. The Oilers, for the time being, already have that in Souray.

As for King, 26, I'd make a phone call on him, but the first questions I'd ask are about the right hand injuries (he needed surgery) and shoulder problems he's had. There's some risk with him, too, but it's a $600,000 or $700,000 gamble, not a $4.25-million roll of the dice.

THIS AND THAT

-- I don't get it when some fans espouse the need for the Oilers to acquire an agitator -- fill in the name of your favourite loudmouthed, face-washer-cheapshot-artist here.

If you're talking about adding hard-nosed players who make a team more difficult to play against -- a Steve Ott or a Daniel Carcillo -- fine. If you're talking about the type of players who wag their gums or do much of their handiwork after the whistle, that makes no sense.

The Oilers don't have enough toughness in their line-up to take care of the small, soft players they already have. So how is it they would benefit from bringing in a sh*t-disturber to start stuff they can't finish?

-- MacGregor and the rest of he Oilers staff will take a backseat when prospects go through their fitness testing, starting Friday.

The Oilers contingent will leave it to fitness consultant Simon Bennett to decipher results from the testing sessions.

-- Mark Pysyk of the Edmonton Oil Kings, Nino Niederreiter of the Portland Winter Hawks and Vladimir Tarasenko of Novosibirsk (Russia) are among the top prospects interviewed by the Oilers already.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
A sports writer since 1983, including stints at The Edmonton Journal and The Sun 1989-2007, I happily co-host the Jason Gregor Show on TSN 1260 twice a week and write when so inclined. Have the best damn lawn on the internet. Most important, I am Sam's dad. Follow me on Twitter at Robin_Brownlee. Or don't.
Avatar
#151 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Senator Theo

Fair, yet unproven. MacGregor was part of the issues in scouting and drafting years back. Please don't tell because he got the top title he is exempt ?

~Lowe rings a bell ~

Avatar
#152 swany
May 26 2010, 05:01PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

But NOBODY suggested the two were equal in any way in that draft. It was Ovechkin all the way. It's not the same for Hall.

This is what I'm getting at why isn't it the same for Hall, what are the scouts basing Seguins status on 1 great year of Jr compared to 3. One has 2 MVP's One was a major player for team Canada. I just thing Seguin is a gamble compared to what Hall has done. My question is has Seguin SHOWN enough to be ranked with Hall, I don't doubt that he MIGHT become a great player but Hall has shown alot more IMO.

Avatar
#153 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 05:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Robin Brownlee

Yes, that's what I wrote. You get a read on whats up. Through the interviews you guys do and locker room chat etc.

Avatar
#154 Crackenbury
May 26 2010, 05:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@swany

Why isn't it the same for Hall? Hall = Ovechkin. Wow!

Avatar
#155 swany
May 26 2010, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crackenbury wrote:

Yeah his 2 goals this year has been a real difference maker. The coaches can buck him up all they want, he wasn't signed to be a defensive specialist that scores 2 goals in the playoffs. Not getting Hossa was one of the best moves the Oilers didn't make. His nearly point per game regular season stats drop almost in half in the playoffs.

This was about PIT and the year they went to the cup finals with Hossa he had 14 goals I believe, that has nothing to do with this year.

Avatar
#156 swany
May 26 2010, 05:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crackenbury wrote:

Why isn't it the same for Hall? Hall = Ovechkin. Wow!

That's taking my statement out of context, So does that mean Seguin=Malkin. What I was saying is that Hall should be just as far ahead of Seguin as OV was ahead of Malkin based on what both have accomplished.

Avatar
#157 Crackenbury
May 26 2010, 05:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
swany wrote:

This was about PIT and the year they went to the cup finals with Hossa he had 14 goals I believe, that has nothing to do with this year.

That's what happens when you're a good winger playing with an elite center. Reference Sather again and fire hydrants.

Avatar
#158 swany
May 26 2010, 05:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crackenbury wrote:

That's what happens when you're a good winger playing with an elite center. Reference Sather again and fire hydrants.

So the Hawks don't have any good centre's

Avatar
#159 Senator Theo
May 26 2010, 05:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
swany wrote:

So the Hawks don't have any good centre's

I know we probably need a good centre. Gagner is great, but I think he could be the second line centre and do awesome.

We haven't had a true #1 centre here since Doug Weight left.

Avatar
#160 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 05:25PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
swany wrote:

This is what I'm getting at why isn't it the same for Hall, what are the scouts basing Seguins status on 1 great year of Jr compared to 3. One has 2 MVP's One was a major player for team Canada. I just thing Seguin is a gamble compared to what Hall has done. My question is has Seguin SHOWN enough to be ranked with Hall, I don't doubt that he MIGHT become a great player but Hall has shown alot more IMO.

I have already listed at least 8 good reasons why Seguin can be seen as better in the eyes of scouts. BUT, I'm NOT a scout, so I cant really answer why Hall isnt considered the hands down number 1 prospect (an honour earned by Seguin just the other day).

Why wasnt I considered the unquestioned number 1 pick in MY draft year? Why doesnt everyone like Dill Pickles? I just dont have answers for these questions. All I know is that neither myself, Taylor Hall, nor Dill Pickles are unquestionably better than their peers.

Avatar
#161 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 05:31PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

~Going to watch the Great Debate tonight~ Will someone just fight already.........

Avatar
#162 MrCondor
May 26 2010, 05:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

There seems to be a lot of talk with respect to the Bruins giving us something to secure the #1 pick.

To me, these guys are neck and neck. Both going to be stars. If we can get anything reasonable from Boston so they could draft Hall - even a 4th rounder - I would give it to them in a heart beat. We gain something and we really don't lose anything.

TO ALL HALL SUPPORTERS: If Boston were to give something up, what would you like to see to justify picking Seguin over Hall?

Avatar
#163 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 05:45PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@MrCondor

~ before someone beats me to it CHARA . hahah lol~ Every team would like to secure the #1 pick!!!!

Avatar
#164 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 05:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@MrCondor

I'd drop down to 2 if they gave us both their 1st rounders and swapped Ryder for Horcoff*.

Other than that I think I'd just keep the 1st and pick Seguin with it.

*Probably wouldnt need this, but I'd ask for it. I'd take one of their dmen instead.

Avatar
#165 Crash
May 26 2010, 06:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

I'm sure that both will be very good. I just dont think Hall should be a slam dunk just because he plays on a good team. For every point I could have made, Crash could have come back at me with something just as valid about Hall.

I've seen just as little of these two as anyone else. I just love the fact that the kid is dedicated to being a better all around hockey player, scored significantly more even strength goals, and is still considered a better playmaker.

I have been avoiding the debate on purpose just letting others go at it and yes, lol I could rebute all your points you had on Seguin...

The one thing that keeps happening is that all the Seguin backers are getting caught up in this ONE season that Seguin has put together...

I wouldn't get caught up in any stats that happen over one season....so this notion that Seguin is better because this one season he scored more EV strength goals is not a way to gauge him as a better player because the opposite could just as easily happen next year...perhaps in this one season everything that Seguin shot at the net went in....do we even know the stats of which player was more consistent this year?

It's like the one year the Oilers had Glencross and he had this ridiculous shooting %....does that mean that Glencross would duplicate that same shooting % every year....of course he wouldn't....you can't possibly think that just because Seguin scored more EV strength goals this year that it means he always would...

This other arguement about Hall playing on a better team than Seguin holds a bit of water as I do believe playing with better linemates can help you produce more but don't you have to at least look at Windsor and say not only did Hall do well playing on this great team but he lead them...he wasn't a passenger, he was their top guy....

All you Seguin backers....doesn't it at least worry you a bit that Seguin in a head to head battle against Hall showed nothing? He went completely pointless in the series and also stunk defensively...he was minus 6 in that head to head battle. Doesn't the fact the Hall has shown consistently that he ramps his game up the more important the games become make a good case for taking him? Seguin has not shown this at all, does this not worry any of you at all? I know it scares the hell out of me....what if Seguin can't handle pressure....Hall has shown he can.

I know Windsor is better than Plymouth but everyone keeps talking like Plymouth was this useless team which by the way they weren't...they were 4th in the conference....I understand that Windsor was better but if Seguin is so great and such an impact player, shouldn't he have at least showed us something in that series?

I agree with Pouzar and swany....Hall is a no brainer....Terry Jones called it right...if the Oilers draft Hall is will come with an exclamation point if they draft Seguin it will come with a big question mark ?????

Avatar
#166 yegCopywriter
May 26 2010, 06:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

I have already listed at least 8 good reasons why Seguin can be seen as better in the eyes of scouts. BUT, I'm NOT a scout, so I cant really answer why Hall isnt considered the hands down number 1 prospect (an honour earned by Seguin just the other day).

Why wasnt I considered the unquestioned number 1 pick in MY draft year? Why doesnt everyone like Dill Pickles? I just dont have answers for these questions. All I know is that neither myself, Taylor Hall, nor Dill Pickles are unquestionably better than their peers.

Mmmm, dill pickles... *drool*

That's all I have to add to the debate.

Avatar
#167 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 06:24PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I have been avoiding the debate on purpose just letting others go at it and yes, lol I could rebute all your points you had on Seguin...

The one thing that keeps happening is that all the Seguin backers are getting caught up in this ONE season that Seguin has put together...

I wouldn't get caught up in any stats that happen over one season....so this notion that Seguin is better because this one season he scored more EV strength goals is not a way to gauge him as a better player because the opposite could just as easily happen next year...perhaps in this one season everything that Seguin shot at the net went in....do we even know the stats of which player was more consistent this year?

It's like the one year the Oilers had Glencross and he had this ridiculous shooting %....does that mean that Glencross would duplicate that same shooting % every year....of course he wouldn't....you can't possibly think that just because Seguin scored more EV strength goals this year that it means he always would...

This other arguement about Hall playing on a better team than Seguin holds a bit of water as I do believe playing with better linemates can help you produce more but don't you have to at least look at Windsor and say not only did Hall do well playing on this great team but he lead them...he wasn't a passenger, he was their top guy....

All you Seguin backers....doesn't it at least worry you a bit that Seguin in a head to head battle against Hall showed nothing? He went completely pointless in the series and also stunk defensively...he was minus 6 in that head to head battle. Doesn't the fact the Hall has shown consistently that he ramps his game up the more important the games become make a good case for taking him? Seguin has not shown this at all, does this not worry any of you at all? I know it scares the hell out of me....what if Seguin can't handle pressure....Hall has shown he can.

I know Windsor is better than Plymouth but everyone keeps talking like Plymouth was this useless team which by the way they weren't...they were 4th in the conference....I understand that Windsor was better but if Seguin is so great and such an impact player, shouldn't he have at least showed us something in that series?

I agree with Pouzar and swany....Hall is a no brainer....Terry Jones called it right...if the Oilers draft Hall is will come with an exclamation point if they draft Seguin it will come with a big question mark ?????

In one breath you say you can't trust Seguins numbers because it is only one season and in the next you say he is a risk because he had no points and was -6 against the juggernaut known as the Windsor Spitfires. You can't only use his numbers when they support your theory... either use them or don't.

Avatar
#168 Crash
May 26 2010, 06:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

In one breath you say you can't trust Seguins numbers because it is only one season and in the next you say he is a risk because he had no points and was -6 against the juggernaut known as the Windsor Spitfires. You can't only use his numbers when they support your theory... either use them or don't.

I like to look at the whole picture...that's just one instance...I've been preaching on here consistently about Halls 3 yrs in junior his consistency over those 3 yrs and the fact that he has shown CONSISTENTLY that he takes his game to another level when the games become more important...

Seguin hasn't shown this yet at all...not once in the OHL...tell me why you and other Seguin backers are all ga ga over Seguin cuz I don't get it?

Is it simply because of Central scouting? Because every other scouting outlet that I know of has Hall rated number one....so if out of 10 scouting outlets (ie: CSS, ISS, tsn, NHL scouts, Hockey News, red line report etc) there are 9 of them that rank Hall number one and only the ONE that ranks Seguin as number one doesn't this tell you something?

IMO this isn't close...Hall is the best and the Oilers should take him

Avatar
#169 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 06:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

I like to look at the whole picture...that's just one instance...I've been preaching on here consistently about Halls 3 yrs in junior his consistency over those 3 yrs and the fact that he has shown CONSISTENTLY that he takes his game to another level when the games become more important...

Seguin hasn't shown this yet at all...not once in the OHL...tell me why you and other Seguin backers are all ga ga over Seguin cuz I don't get it?

Is it simply because of Central scouting? Because every other scouting outlet that I know of has Hall rated number one....so if out of 10 scouting outlets (ie: CSS, ISS, tsn, NHL scouts, Hockey News, red line report etc) there are 9 of them that rank Hall number one and only the ONE that ranks Seguin as number one doesn't this tell you something?

IMO this isn't close...Hall is the best and the Oilers should take him

I have never once said I'm "ga ga" over Seguin. In fact I haven't said who I think they should pick. Because I have no clue. I've only ever seen Hall play at the WJC and the Mem Cup and I have never seen Seguin play a shift of hockey.

You, and other Oiler fans, are the only people saying this is clear cut. Not the scouts(that I've heard), not the people on TSN or Sportsnet, not anyone. Doesn't that tell you something? If it was so clear cut, there would be no question as to who will be going first or second. So I'm sorry if I don't buy what you're trying to sell around here. I trust the scouts who have seen these two play more than I trust your opinion.

Avatar
#170 Crash
May 26 2010, 06:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

I have never once said I'm "ga ga" over Seguin. In fact I haven't said who I think they should pick. Because I have no clue. I've only ever seen Hall play at the WJC and the Mem Cup and I have never seen Seguin play a shift of hockey.

You, and other Oiler fans, are the only people saying this is clear cut. Not the scouts(that I've heard), not the people on TSN or Sportsnet, not anyone. Doesn't that tell you something? If it was so clear cut, there would be no question as to who will be going first or second. So I'm sorry if I don't buy what you're trying to sell around here. I trust the scouts who have seen these two play more than I trust your opinion.

Fair enough...you are willing to just trust the scouts who have seen the two play more than you trust my opinion and really when it comes right down to it I realize they aren't going to listen to me or you or anyone else...

But I'm not just blindly going to trust in what the scouts decide over my own opinion because the scouts have shown over the years that they quite often get it wrong...I have my reasons for why I like Hall and really don't give a hoot whether you trust my opinion...

Tell me...did the scouts have it right the year the draft was held in Edmonton and all the dummy fans like me were yelling Doan, Doan, Doan and the Oilers ignored those opinions and drafted speedster centerman Steve Kelly?

If nothing else history has shown me to develop my own opinion based on evidence and to not just believe whatever the scouts say....

Avatar
#171 jeanshorts
May 26 2010, 06:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Hey is this where we're supposed to meet up for to collect our free- OHMY GOD ANOTHER SEGUIN/HALL DEBATE??

*runs away so fast he leaves a jeanshorts shaped cloud of dust hanging for an awkwardly long amount of time*

Avatar
#172 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 06:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@ Crash

Did Macgregor draft Kelly? No. What happened in the 1995 draft is completely irrelevant to this draft. I think Stu has done a pretty good job thus far.

Avatar
#173 Crash
May 26 2010, 06:56PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

@ Crash

Did Macgregor draft Kelly? No. What happened in the 1995 draft is completely irrelevant to this draft. I think Stu has done a pretty good job thus far.

The point was made to highlight the fact that scouts don't always get it right and yes people look back at drafts past and piss and moan about what could have been...it's happened b4 and it will happen again.

And one other point, you must obviously be in the Seguin corner or you wouldn't just choose to attack Hall backers...there are Seguin backers on here that you haven't questioned one bit...

So please don't pretend to act as though you aren't a Seguin backer....there is nothing wrong with that so don't be ashamed to admit it.

Avatar
#174 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 07:00PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

The point was made to highlight the fact that scouts don't always get it right and yes people look back at drafts past and piss and moan about what could have been...it's happened b4 and it will happen again.

And one other point, you must obviously be in the Seguin corner or you wouldn't just choose to attack Hall backers...there are Seguin backers on here that you haven't questioned one bit...

So please don't pretend to act as though you aren't a Seguin backer....there is nothing wrong with that so don't be ashamed to admit it.

I didn't think I was attacking you. I am more questioning how people can be so sure - one way or another - when the people who actually have seen them play, aren't. I think scouts have got it right a helluva lot more than they have got it wrong when it comes to the first overall pick, recently anyway.

Avatar
#175 Crash
May 26 2010, 07:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
jeanshorts wrote:

Hey is this where we're supposed to meet up for to collect our free- OHMY GOD ANOTHER SEGUIN/HALL DEBATE??

*runs away so fast he leaves a jeanshorts shaped cloud of dust hanging for an awkwardly long amount of time*

Well, lol....it is another Hall/Seguin article....and I'd be happy to get em both as long as we don't have to throw in Hemsky to do it...

How about Cogliano, Souray, Petry, the 31st pick and our 1st rounder next year for

Ryder and the 2nd overall this year?

Avatar
#176 Crash
May 26 2010, 07:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

I didn't think I was attacking you. I am more questioning how people can be so sure - one way or another - when the people who actually have seen them play, aren't. I think scouts have got it right a helluva lot more than they have got it wrong when it comes to the first overall pick, recently anyway.

Ok attacking was a poor choice of words....I guess what I'd say is you are questioning those that believe in Hall moreso than Seguin.

One thing I can say for certain is whoever the Oilers take I am going to be a fan of that player...and I will hope like hell that whoever it is he turns out to be a star soon.

Avatar
#177 Eddie Shore
May 26 2010, 07:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Well, lol....it is another Hall/Seguin article....and I'd be happy to get em both as long as we don't have to throw in Hemsky to do it...

How about Cogliano, Souray, Petry, the 31st pick and our 1st rounder next year for

Ryder and the 2nd overall this year?

Then we'd have nothing to debate all summer...

Avatar
#178 Crash
May 26 2010, 07:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Then we'd have nothing to debate all summer...

I'd be ok with that...then we could debate whether or not they should play on the same line and which one if not both should be on the 1st pp unit.

Avatar
#179 jeanshorts
May 26 2010, 07:12PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

If they somehow end up getting both picks without giving up something utterly ridiculous I will personally search out Steve Tambellini and kiss him on the mouth.

And I like the looks of that trade, although that first rounder next year is a little alarming. I've got a feeling that we're probably going to end up with a top 10 pick next year, and you'd have to be some kind of fat headed, loud mouthed, American-born idiot to give up a first round pick on a rebuilding team.

Avatar
#180 Crash
May 26 2010, 07:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
jeanshorts wrote:

If they somehow end up getting both picks without giving up something utterly ridiculous I will personally search out Steve Tambellini and kiss him on the mouth.

And I like the looks of that trade, although that first rounder next year is a little alarming. I've got a feeling that we're probably going to end up with a top 10 pick next year, and you'd have to be some kind of fat headed, loud mouthed, American-born idiot to give up a first round pick on a rebuilding team.

Well look at it this way, you'd be giving up the 1st rounder next year for the extra 1st rounder this year so you wouldn't really be abandoning the rebuild..yes you'd lose Cogs and Petry but the Oilers are well stocked with young kids right now....

I think I'd be ok with giving up next years 1st rounder plus the extras to get both Seguin and Hall...

I think the rebuild would be well underway with Hall, Seguin, Eberle, Gagner, Brule, Paajarvi-Svensson, Hemsky, Penner, Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, etc....IMO

Avatar
#181 jeanshorts
May 26 2010, 07:18PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Crash

Yeah, you're pretty spot on, and man look at all those names we have going forward.

I just wanted to take a shot at Brian Burke because, well, it's just really fun.

Avatar
#182 Crash
May 26 2010, 07:21PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
jeanshorts wrote:

Yeah, you're pretty spot on, and man look at all those names we have going forward.

I just wanted to take a shot at Brian Burke because, well, it's just really fun.

LOL, point taken...look at it this way and I'm not saying Boston would do that trade but at least it may be considered, it might need some tweaking...but if we were to get that pick from Boston we could personally thank Burke for it :)

Avatar
#183 grizzly
May 26 2010, 07:37PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

When the oil make the 1st overall pick they will be making history either way: 1. pick Hall - taking the first two-time memorial cup mvp 2. pick Seguin - the first time a #1 overall pick did not make his wjhc team in his draft year.

They may both turn out great seems to me that Hall appears to be the bpa, hands down.

Avatar
#184 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 26 2010, 08:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
2
cheers
Eddie Shore wrote:

Then we'd have nothing to debate all summer...

this isnt a debate. it is a bunch of people that think they have a clue when they really dont, talking about something they have no idea on (myself included), or control over.

it is like 3 96 year old men arguing about who s*** themselves first. In the end, it doesnt matter, cause they will s*** themselves anyways.

its a great way to pass the time, thats about it.. the draft will happen, and the oilers will pick who they think is the best fit, and the no nothing knuckleheads will pick it apart for the next 20 years.

wash, rinse, repeat

Avatar
#185 MrCondor
May 26 2010, 08:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Crash wrote:

Well look at it this way, you'd be giving up the 1st rounder next year for the extra 1st rounder this year so you wouldn't really be abandoning the rebuild..yes you'd lose Cogs and Petry but the Oilers are well stocked with young kids right now....

I think I'd be ok with giving up next years 1st rounder plus the extras to get both Seguin and Hall...

I think the rebuild would be well underway with Hall, Seguin, Eberle, Gagner, Brule, Paajarvi-Svensson, Hemsky, Penner, Whitney, Gilbert, Smid, etc....IMO

Like where your head is at. Love our forwards moving forward. But the truth of it is that isn't a high quality D and there is no high quality goaltender to back them.

I would honestly rather pick up a young quality Dman and either Taylor or Tyler than both Taylor and Tyler.

Avatar
#186 Jasmine
May 26 2010, 08:47PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@swany

CSS said the reason Seguin was ranked #1 ahead of Hall is because Seguin is a right-handed centre.

Avatar
#187 speedss
May 26 2010, 08:51PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

Actually, the situations are more similar than you might think; there were people that like Malkin as much, or more, than Ovechkin at the 2004 draft.

That said, I think it would be fair to say that Ovechkin was more of a favorite in 2004 than Hall is in 2010.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2004-05-21-woodlief_x.htm

Avatar
#188 Crash
May 26 2010, 08:53PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
MrCondor wrote:

Like where your head is at. Love our forwards moving forward. But the truth of it is that isn't a high quality D and there is no high quality goaltender to back them.

I would honestly rather pick up a young quality Dman and either Taylor or Tyler than both Taylor and Tyler.

In my knucklehead opinion if you can get both Hall and Seguin you can worry about the d-man later...

As far as goaltending goes...and it's just my knucklehead opinion again, but I think Devan Dubnyk is going to be a quality tender sooner rather than later..

Avatar
#189 Jasmine
May 26 2010, 08:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Chaz

Because Seguin is a right-handed centre. Don't forget that CSS ranked Turris #1 ahead of Patrick Kane in 2007 because Turris was a right-handed centre.

Avatar
#190 speeds
May 26 2010, 08:55PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Here's the relevant paragraph from the link I provided above, in the "Off The Record" section. Does it sound familiar?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2004-05-21-woodlief_x.htm

Though we love Korpikoski, even we have to admit that big Evgeni Malkin was the dominant force in the tournament and has not only solidified his No. 2 overall ranking, but has significantly narrowed the gap between himself and consensus No. 1 Alex Ovechkin. It's not a matter of Ovechkin coming back to the pack; Malkin has just elevated his game to a new level. A number of teams now have the pair ranked in a dead heat, with some believing that Malkin's rapid progression and long-term upside make him worthy of the top spot.

Avatar
#191 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 08:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=524283

Avatar
#192 Jasmine
May 26 2010, 09:03PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Travis Dakin

No they're not. Gagner, Brule and MAP are all right-handed centres. O'Marra is a right-handed-centre. So is Eberle. I don't see that as a shortage on right-handed centre. I'm getting fed up with this pushing of Seguin just because he's a "right-handed centre". The Oilers need Hall more than they need Seguin.

Avatar
#193 Jasmine
May 26 2010, 09:09PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

It's the same thing basically. Both Seguin and Turris are "right-handed centres" and thus both were ranked #1 in their respective drafts by CSS. Kane and Hall are wingers.

What I find funny is that in 2007, the Oilers drafted Gagner, a "right-handed centre" and people criticized that pick saying they wanted Voracek, a "winger". I don't get it.

Avatar
#194 Oil_Loc8or
May 26 2010, 09:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Jasmine

I'm getting tired of reading people write "trash" about a 18 year old kid they have never seen play. We will all find out what happens at the draft.

Avatar
#195 Travis Dakin
May 26 2010, 09:39PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

No they're not. Gagner, Brule and MAP are all right-handed centres. O'Marra is a right-handed-centre. So is Eberle. I don't see that as a shortage on right-handed centre. I'm getting fed up with this pushing of Seguin just because he's a "right-handed centre". The Oilers need Hall more than they need Seguin.

So which one of Brule (not a centre), MAP (Barely able to keep a roster spot), O'Marra (WTF!!?!?!?) or Eberle (a right winger) do you consider to be a legit Right-handed centre (One who is defensively responsible and can contribute offensively) for the team going forward?

I'm getting fed up this pushing of Seguin just because he's a "right-handed centre". The Oilers need Hall more than they need Seguin.

I'm getting fed up with this pushing of absolutes like "The Oilers NEED Hall more than they NEED Seguin" coming out of the mouths of people like you who have next to ZERO clue when it comes to what either of these two guys offer, outside of watching a few youtube videos and regurgitating some stats they read over at Lowetide.

My statement was in regards to a commenter nitpicking Brownlee for having the audacity to mention that Seguin is a RH centre. But thank for your contribution.

Avatar
#196 Jasmine
May 26 2010, 09:43PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Travis Dakin

Brule is a centre and he's a "right-handed centre".

I'm just getting fed up with the hype of Seguin. With all the Seguin hype, I see Schremp v. 2.0.

Avatar
#197 Archaeologuy
May 26 2010, 09:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

Brule is a centre and he's a "right-handed centre".

I'm just getting fed up with the hype of Seguin. With all the Seguin hype, I see Schremp v. 2.0.

What does he have in common with Schremp? The guy scored 30 more points in his draft year, is touted as being defensively responsible, and is a much better skater.

Avatar
#198 Travis Dakin
May 26 2010, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Jasmine wrote:

Brule is a centre and he's a "right-handed centre".

I'm just getting fed up with the hype of Seguin. With all the Seguin hype, I see Schremp v. 2.0.

And you don't see Lindros v. 2.0 except a smaller and less dominating but just as likely to be creamed when you hear all the talk about Hall getting crushed "more than anyone I've seen" (from his own GM) ???

Bottom line is that Seguin is ranked number 1 for a reason. That reason is why most knowledgeable hockey people think the Oilers should take him. It's the same thing with Tavares and Duchene last year. Sure Tavares is pretty when he scores but Duchene is the better all around player.

We don't know about either one of these guys yet.

Avatar
#199 THEBIGD
May 26 2010, 09:49PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

I can tell you what? If the Oilers don't take Taylor Hall I will burn my Oiler Jersey and never go to another Oiler game again ever.As he is by far the best player,and is ready to play in the N.H.L. this coming season. I am sick and tired of watching the Oilers Scouting Staff not picking the best player.This is there first time to get the first over all pick and it better be Taylor Hall not Tyler Seguin.Taylor has been the best player in JR and if you seen the goal he scored last Sunday at the Memorial Cup it looked like a goal by Wayne Gretzky.If you have not seen the goal look on You Tube.This kid is a goal scorer and he scores a lot.But his defenses game is there as well. He will be the next big Super Star in just a few short years.I hope to God MacGregor sees this too.If not he should be fired.Which I believe he should have been years ago.Why they keep him is beyond me.As he was done years ago.Please make the correct pick for once

Avatar
#200 Travis Dakin
May 26 2010, 09:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
THEBIGD wrote:

I can tell you what? If the Oilers don't take Taylor Hall I will burn my Oiler Jersey and never go to another Oiler game again ever.As he is by far the best player,and is ready to play in the N.H.L. this coming season. I am sick and tired of watching the Oilers Scouting Staff not picking the best player.This is there first time to get the first over all pick and it better be Taylor Hall not Tyler Seguin.Taylor has been the best player in JR and if you seen the goal he scored last Sunday at the Memorial Cup it looked like a goal by Wayne Gretzky.If you have not seen the goal look on You Tube.This kid is a goal scorer and he scores a lot.But his defenses game is there as well. He will be the next big Super Star in just a few short years.I hope to God MacGregor sees this too.If not he should be fired.Which I believe he should have been years ago.Why they keep him is beyond me.As he was done years ago.Please make the correct pick for once

WTF

Comments are closed for this article.