UPDATED: Radio Ga-Ga III: The Skipper sails into the sunset

Robin Brownlee
May 28 2010 03:50PM

We saw this coming and so did Rod Phillips, but that didn't prevent the passion that punctuated his 37-year career as the radio voice of the Edmonton Oilers from bubbling to the surface when he announced his retirement in a packed dressing room at Rexall Place today.

Phillips, 68, handily lasted longer on the over/under established for him to keep his emotions in check in front of family, friends, colleagues and former and present Oilers, but they eventually got the better of him -- when he mentioned his wife Debbie -- in a farewell speech that came, as you'd expect, straight from the heart.

"My wife has been a trooper and my kids (Quinn and Devin) have been troopers," said Phillips, who called some 3,500 games and logged millions of miles dating back to the WHA to give Oilers their fix on the airwaves on the way to the broadcast wing of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

"I was away 100 days every year and you have to have a very strong wife to keep things together. She did everything. You can't do this job unless you have a really strong wife behind you.

"I was really fortunate there. But, it's still kind of funny because by the end of every summer she was asking me when training camp would begin, so . . ."

GREATEST JOB IN THE WORLD

A glance around the room told the tale of how esteemed Phillips is in this town. Despite short notice about the news conference, the joint was jammed with familiar faces. Debbie, Quinn and Devin looked on from the front row in a roomed adorned with Oilers jerseys with "Phillips" on the namebar for each of the team's five Stanley Cup wins.

Aside from Patrick LaForge and Kevin Lowe, former governor Cal Nichols was there. So was Clare Drake, and former Oilers Sean Brown, Dave Lumley and Al Hamilton. Barrie Stafford, Joe Moss and Sparky Kulchisky attended. Media row included former colleagues Lisa Miller, Al McCann, Bruce Hogle and Ernie Afaganis.

"Nobody had to tell me it was the greatest job in the world. I knew it," said Phillips, who sat in the background before taking the podium as Allan Watt, LaForge and Lowe addressed those assembled.

"The day I got the job in 1973, I knew it was a dream come true. I just tried to hone my skills as best I could the first 300, 400, 500 games. I tried to get as good as I could. I guess I wasn't bad."

Wasn't bad? There's a rare bit of understatement from The Voice of a franchise.

NOT DONE YET

Phillips isn't stepping away from the microphone completely. The Oilers announced today he will do the play-by-play for 10 games on 630 CHED next season in what they've dubbed "Rod's Classic Games."

While the schedule hasn't been set, expect to hear Phillips man the microphone for games against the Oilers Stanley Cup final opponents and likely against Los Angeles, Montreal and Dallas.

While it's not yet finalized who will work the 10 games with Phillips, don't be surprised if he's got some guests in the booth, notably the likes of Wayne Gretzky and former analysts like long-time friend Jim Matheson and Morley Scott, for broadcasts that will be burned to DVD and made available to fans. I'll update as the information becomes available.

AND . . .

-- The Oilers have already received job inquires reaching double-digits for the play-by-play position. While Bob Stauffer, who did analysis on the radio for the past two seasons with Phillips, is an automatic for the short list, the job is open for competition.

I'm told the Oilers will be taking applications until July 1 and hope to have the position filled by the end of July.

-- Expect the Oilers to honour Phillips early next season. There could be a banner with his name on it destined for the rafters.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#51 Dave
May 31 2010, 08:23AM
Chris. wrote:

I'm not claiming to know which of the two players is better... and I'm not trying to suggest the Oilers should draft by position... But you are correct: the choice between the two should really to a large degree come down to character. (And I've never met either player so I won't comment)

I think I'm on side with the philosphical idea that the best player is the guy who is the most complete player. Hockey is played in all three zones; mostly without the puck. I guess I'm the kind of guy who belives that Toews is a better player than Stamkos (irresective of goal totals). I also believe that Crosby has been a better overall building block for Pittsburgh than even the more talented and dynamic Ovechkin.

Assuming the public/media driven characterisations of Hall and Seguin are at all accuract: my heart says the Oilers should draft Hall; but my damn brain suspects that Seguin might be a better overall building block for a franchise that is undergoing renewal.

Good point on Stamkos vs Toews and one i have thought about as well. I hope the Oilers take Seguin.

#52 Harlie
May 31 2010, 08:48AM

@Robin Brownlee

thanks Robin...I thought I was losing my mind for a sec there...take care.

#53 The Fish
May 31 2010, 10:30AM

I think Stauffer would be a pretty good substitute for Rod. Rod can never be replaced, but listening to a few games last year, I thought Stauffer did a good job. He offered some pretty good insight because he is a good hockey mind. I also like how he respected Rod by not being an a$$ when Rod made a mistake and he had to correct him. I think he'd only get better with practice.

#54 Harlie
May 31 2010, 10:38AM
The Fish wrote:

I agree...I think Bob would be a perfect replacement and I liked his calls last year and when he was doing color. You could tell that him and the Skipper had a good time and respected each other.

#55 6 ring circus
May 31 2010, 10:42AM
Dave wrote:

So he had to be good because he was there for so long. Thats weak.

I didn't post on here to explain why I think Rod Phillips and Brian Hall are great at what they do.You have your opinion and I have mine,the fact that Brian Hall was there for over 40 years and left on his own terms, to me is not a weak agrument.

#56 RossCreekNation
May 31 2010, 11:49AM

The Oil have apparently fired American eastern scout (NCAA, QMJHL, USHL) Chris McCarthy. As a Kevin Prendergast hiring, it comes as little surprise to see the 17 year scout go. Guy Flaming with a look...

#57 Oil_Loc8or
May 31 2010, 12:12PM

@RossCreekNation

Suprise you maybe. Not like I expected it or knew but its been a long time since someone was let go .Thanks for the link

#58 Bucknuck
May 31 2010, 01:09PM

Interesting how the writer describes the "classless" behaviour of the year before. There is no doubt that the writer is a little biased, but even so, the more I keep reading about the oilers management being "classless" the more I think that there must be some fire under all that smoke.

#59 Let's Rebuild
May 31 2010, 01:33PM

It's not fair to compare Rod Phillips to Bob Stauffer today. I wasn't alive when Rod started so I have no idea what he was like when he first got the job, all I know is how great he is today. If Bob is offered the job who knows, he could become as good as Rod was over time.

~When choosing a commentator you shouldn't look at who is the best now, but who will be the best over the course of their carrer. (any word on Seguins ability to call a good game)~

#60 Rusty Duggan - Team Hall, but Seguin would be better team
May 31 2010, 02:12PM

@Let's Rebuild

Very nice ....lol

#61 Gregors dirty 'stash
May 31 2010, 03:07PM

Does anyone know if the Oilers are for sure picking either Hall or Seguin in the draft?

#62 RossCreekNation
May 31 2010, 03:13PM
Gregors dirty 'stash wrote:

Yes... I know for sure... but I'm sworn to secrecy~

#63 Gregors dirty 'stash
May 31 2010, 03:23PM

@RossCreekNation

Well I wont tell anyone.....

#64 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 31 2010, 03:52PM
Gregors dirty 'stash wrote:

if they have a top 2 pick and pick neither hall or seguin there will be anarchy in e-town..

#65 Gregors dirty 'stash
May 31 2010, 03:54PM

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

Rexall will burn to the ground!