Do linemates help make the player?

Jason Gregor
May 04 2010 08:50AM

Edmonton Oilers v Phoenix Coyotes

“He makes his linemates/teammates better.” That seems to be the newest saying when it comes to evaluating skilled players, and from where I sit it is the most misused phrase in the game.

How exactly can we evaluate if a player actually makes his teammates better?

Are increased point totals a fair standard? What about Plus/minus?

How much better can a player make his teammates? I don’t think you can make players better, you can give them a better chance to produce, but certain players will compliment one another very well, even if they don’t have the same skill set.

Dave Lumley scored a goal in 12 straight games playing with Gretzky, and that record still stands in Oilerville, but Gretzky couldn’t turn Lumley into a perennial goal scorer, outside of one 30-goal season.

People always talk about how Rob Brown only scored 49 goals because he played with Mario Lemieux, and while Lemieux was a major factor, you can’t underestimate how dynamic of an offensive player Brown was on his own.

He scored 212 points (a WHL record that will never be broken) in 1987 with Kamloops as a 19-year-old, and tallied 173 the year before when he was 18. To suggest Brown didn’t have any talent is absurd.

PLAYED DEFENCE UNTIL HE WAS 18

How many of you knew that Brown played defence his first two years in the WHL? Ken Hitchcock moved him up to forward his 3rd season, his draft year, and he tallied 173 points. He never played forward until he was 18, and three years later he scored 49 goals and 115 points in the NHL. That is extremely rare.

He had the offensive instincts to play with Lemieux, and succeed, like very few had, but why?

“I knew where he wanted me to be,” said Brown. “Some guys had more skill than I did, but they didn’t think the game like Mario. I could anticipate where to go, and more importantly where he wanted me to go. Guys like Mario will give any player more opportunities, but it still is up to you to produce.

“It is hard to create chances as a goal scorer if you don’t have a guy who can find you in the right spots. Very few goals scorers in the NHL can create goals on their own; they need a playmaker, just like the playmaker needs a goal scorer to finish plays”.

Brown was a goal scorer, which is remarkable considering he grew up playing defence and never practiced or learned a lot of the offensive tricks that most scorers develop in minor hockey. And of course he benefited by playing with Lemieux, and then Ron Francis in Hartford, but he also had the offensive instincts to know how to produce playing with those types of players.

I’ve heard and read a lot the past few weeks about players making their teammates better, and that’s becoming one of the big arguments between Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall, but is their any validity to it?

For years many Oiler fans stated that Ales Hemsky made Shawn Horcoff better, but then Jonathan Willis provided some insight stating that wasn’t the case. Hemsky’s numbers were in fact better with Horcoff than without.

No one would argue that Horcoff is more talented, but Hemsky produced better playing with Horcoff than he has with Sam Gagner, who most argue has more natural offensive instincts than Horcoff. Some offensive guys play well together, but some never click because their styles don’t match on the ice.

Suggesting that Hall doesn’t make his teammates better is off-base. He creates space for his teammates, but at the NHL he will probably need a good puck distributor to allow him to flaunt his goal-scoring prowess. Seguin, who became a better shooter this year, will most likely benefit more by being flanked by a scorer who can get open and finish when given the opportunity.

I think both of them will produce in the NHL, if they are put with linemates who compliment their respective games.

And that might be the biggest question that Stu MacGregor and Steve Tambellini need to ask themselves. When you look at the youth in the organization what type of player do they have more of: Playmakers or shooters?

I still say take the centre, but if they honestly believe that Sam Gagner might be a better fit with Taylor Hall, than Jordan Eberle or Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson would be with Seguin, then they have to look at that angle and act accordingly.

But I doubt either one of them will make their teammates that much better, rather, the Oilers will need to find players that compliment Hall and Seguin.

The great players will produce regardless of who they play with, and it is too early to tell if either Hall or Seguin will be great, but the Oilers need to ensure that whoever they pick has teammates/linemates who they can feed off to succeed.

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
One of Canada's most versatile sports personalities. Jason hosts The Jason Gregor Show, weekdays from 2 to 6 p.m., on TSN 1260, and he writes a column every Monday in the Edmonton Journal. You can follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/JasonGregor
Avatar
#51 Team Hall
May 04 2010, 04:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Sigh, Jagr would have been a great bridge veteran. See Coyotes, Phoenix. You bring him in for one year, he takes the heat and press off the kids so they can develop, and he's got enough left in the tank to run a powerplay and put up a few points. Those are the kinds of vets we need next year. Guys like Lang, Kovalev, Sutton, Gill, etc. I wonder what is out there that we could get. Also, a finisher is the harder commodity to come by. Playmakers are easier to find. That pure sniper that Hemmer could set up on the PP, and won't whiff half the time.

Avatar
#52 Ducey
May 04 2010, 04:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
thednp wrote:

If the Sens are thinking about trading away Spezza, does anyone think we do a deal with them for Cogs + Penner?

Gives us first line centre. Allows us to draft Hall. And for Ottawa they get 2 guys they wanted last year and they save some cash which it sounds like they need to do.

just sayin...

Spezza makes $7 million a season until 2015. Penner makes $4.25.

He maybe gets you 10 - 20 points more than Penner and unlike Penner plays lousy defence. On top of that he has little leadership ability and and has no grit.

For that kind of money in a cap world he ought to be the kind of guy who leads a team, not one of its support guys.

There is a reason the Sens want to trade him. Its not like they have a replacement in the wings. They just want to get rid of him.

I wouldn't trade him for Penner straight up.

Maybe Souray for Spezza? Depends what the market is for Souray. I wouldn't be excited about it as it would just put the Oilers back into cap hell.

Avatar
#53 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 04:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ducey wrote:

Spezza makes $7 million a season until 2015. Penner makes $4.25.

He maybe gets you 10 - 20 points more than Penner and unlike Penner plays lousy defence. On top of that he has little leadership ability and and has no grit.

For that kind of money in a cap world he ought to be the kind of guy who leads a team, not one of its support guys.

There is a reason the Sens want to trade him. Its not like they have a replacement in the wings. They just want to get rid of him.

I wouldn't trade him for Penner straight up.

Maybe Souray for Spezza? Depends what the market is for Souray. I wouldn't be excited about it as it would just put the Oilers back into cap hell.

Is this a joke?

Spezza has one season since the lockout with less then 73 points, he missed 22 games that year. Penner has had one season where he's had more then 50 points.

Avatar
#54 Archaeologuy
May 04 2010, 04:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

The thing that gives me pause is the money. I dont know about the 7 mill price tag. The Oil can afford to keep Penner and beef up the bottom six for the same price.

Avatar
#55 Senator Theo
May 04 2010, 04:48PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Archaeologuy

What about Horc + other going the back the other way in a Spezza deal? That makes the $ figures a lot easier to swallow.

It also gives the Sens an NHL centre going back to replace Spezza.

Avatar
#56 Senator Theo
May 04 2010, 04:50PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

If we were able to get a centre like Spezza, it may reduce the urge to rush Seguin into the NHL, and let him spend next year back in Ontario.

Avatar
#57 Archaeologuy
May 04 2010, 05:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Senator Theo

I think if Tambellini suggested Horc as the main part of a Spezza deal the Sens would laugh and then hang up.

Avatar
#58 Ducey
May 04 2010, 05:06PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

Is this a joke? Spezza has one season since the lockout with less then 73 points, he missed 22 games that year. Penner has had one season where he's had more then 50 points.

You failed to mention it was this year.

If I was picking for my hockey pool, I would likely take Spezza. When you look at the money though, that contract is just too much for a one dimensional support player. Spezza has got 92, 73 and 57 points over each of the last three years and has played 82 games once.

Is Spezza a good player - yes. Is he likely to outscore Penner - maybe. Is Penner likely to be better value for the money - absolutely.

Avatar
#59 TigerUnderGlass
May 04 2010, 05:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

The Oiler's will draft around Eberle, and his needs to compliment his game.

If this is the case we are so very very screwed.

Avatar
#60 Oil_Loc8or
May 04 2010, 05:10PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

No thanks, we don't need nor want Spezza. Why not make a trade for a guy like J Stall, he's hurt we like that don't we?

Avatar
#61 Senator Theo
May 04 2010, 05:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

I think if Tambellini suggested Horc as the main part of a Spezza deal the Sens would laugh and then hang up.

I don;t know if they would laugh - I remember hearing whispers they were interested in Horc last summer.

At any rate, I think I can deal with Tambo getting laughed once and awhile if it means he's at least trying to put some deals together!

EDIT - Both Spezza and Horc are coming off bad years, both have unattractive contracts, both could use a change of surroundings...it's not a bad place to start some discussion.

Avatar
#62 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 05:19PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Archaeologuy wrote:

The thing that gives me pause is the money. I dont know about the 7 mill price tag. The Oil can afford to keep Penner and beef up the bottom six for the same price.

Ya no doubt he's a big ticket, he's a top end offensive talent too though.

His 7 million cap hit slots him at 14th for forwards, 13th highest scoring forward picked up 83 points this year, 82 last year.

He comes in as the 9th highest cap hit center, last years 9th highest scoring center picked up 77 points this year and 82 points last year.

Factor in a handfull of sneaky heavy front loaded deal and Spezza basically falls bang on production wise for what you are paying.

Finally, what Penner do we get going forwad? 60+ point guy? or 40 - 50 point guy?

Avatar
#63 Archaeologuy
May 04 2010, 05:22PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Senator Theo

My skepticism aside, Horc plus X for Spezza would be good, assuming the X isnt anything overly amazing.

Avatar
#64 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 05:23PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ducey wrote:

Is this a joke? Spezza has one season since the lockout with less then 73 points, he missed 22 games that year. Penner has had one season where he's had more then 50 points.

You failed to mention it was this year.

If I was picking for my hockey pool, I would likely take Spezza. When you look at the money though, that contract is just too much for a one dimensional support player. Spezza has got 92, 73 and 57 points over each of the last three years and has played 82 games once.

Is Spezza a good player - yes. Is he likely to outscore Penner - maybe. Is Penner likely to be better value for the money - absolutely.

Penner outscored him by 5 once in his 4 year career (when Spezza missed 20 games)Spezza has been roughly twice as productive the rest of his career.

Giving a "maybe" to outscore Penner is frankly ridiculous.

Absolutly better value? Pretty bold statement for a guy that most wanted bought out 12 months ago.

Avatar
#65 thednp
May 04 2010, 05:27PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

This is exactly why I think the Oilers should be pursing a guy like Spezza. Top line centre, with a contract that keeps him around. Potential wingers like Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, MPS, etc. Who knows what Penner is next year. Who knows if Penner stays. Ducey, don't complain about lack of grit with Spezza in comparison to Penner. Penner has no grit either, especially for his size. I think its something you have to look at doing if you're the Oilers.

Avatar
#66 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 05:32PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
thednp wrote:

This is exactly why I think the Oilers should be pursing a guy like Spezza. Top line centre, with a contract that keeps him around. Potential wingers like Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, MPS, etc. Who knows what Penner is next year. Who knows if Penner stays. Ducey, don't complain about lack of grit with Spezza in comparison to Penner. Penner has no grit either, especially for his size. I think its something you have to look at doing if you're the Oilers.

I find the craziest part is how many people wanted to buy him out last year and now theirs people that woulnd't trade him for a guy with 2 90+ point seasons on his resume?

Avatar
#67 Ducey
May 04 2010, 05:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@thednp

Grit is going into corners and taking hits to cycle and taking a beating in front of the net to screen. You won't find Spezza doing this.

I guess we will see who is better, but I would think Penner has a good to chance to improve on this year once he has a few players like Seguin and Hemsky to play with. I'll take the bet at $4.25 a season.

Avatar
#68 Bucknuck
May 04 2010, 06:15PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I find the craziest part is how many people wanted to buy him out last year and now theirs people that woulnd't trade him for a guy with 2 90+ point seasons on his resume?

And if Horcoff has a similar bounce back all the sudden it isn't "the worst contract ever" and Lowe maybe isn't such an idiot. maybe he's the guys who can take th pressure off of all the young guys.

We are a pretty fickle bunch, us fans.

Avatar
#69 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 04 2010, 08:33PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
1
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

And if Horcoff has a similar bounce back all the sudden it isn't "the worst contract ever" and Lowe maybe isn't such an idiot. maybe he's the guys who can take th pressure off of all the young guys.

We are a pretty fickle bunch, us fans.

false, lowe would still be an idiot

Avatar
#70 Crash
May 04 2010, 08:59PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Chalk up back to back OHL championships to the Taylor Hall lead Windsor Spitfires...

It was suggested in earlier blogs that if you want to win a championship that it would be better to draft Seguin....

Kinda hard to argue against Hall's record of back to back championships whereby he lead the team in both years....Hall is a winner and a proven big game performer...

This 1st overall pick should be a no brainer IMO

Avatar
#71 Crash
May 04 2010, 09:05PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Penner outscored him by 5 once in his 4 year career (when Spezza missed 20 games)Spezza has been roughly twice as productive the rest of his career.

Giving a "maybe" to outscore Penner is frankly ridiculous.

Absolutly better value? Pretty bold statement for a guy that most wanted bought out 12 months ago.

I've never understood the distaste for Penner...I think many just got on the MacT train and bought into Penner being bad...

All Penner has done since he signed with the Oilers is:

Year 1 - Lead the team in goal scoring

Year 2 - despite being crapped on continually by MacT and him not being used in an offensive role he lead all forwards in +/- and scored 18 goals

Year 3 - had his best year in goals and points wise playing without Hemsky most of the year and again lead all forwards on the team in +/- and this on a 30th place team...

What does the guy have to do to be accepted here?

Avatar
#72 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 09:28PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Bucknuck wrote:

And if Horcoff has a similar bounce back all the sudden it isn't "the worst contract ever" and Lowe maybe isn't such an idiot. maybe he's the guys who can take th pressure off of all the young guys.

We are a pretty fickle bunch, us fans.

Fickle is right, everyone said Lowe was an idiot for signing Penner, now some wouldn't trade him for Spezza.

Avatar
#73 Rusty Duggan
May 04 2010, 09:42PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
The Oiler's will draft around Eberle, and his needs to compliment his game.

If this is the case we are so very very screwed.

Ok, Why?

Avatar
#74 Jackie Treehorn
May 04 2010, 09:46PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
The Oiler's will draft around Eberle, and his needs to compliment his game.

If this is the case we are so very very screwed.

We are obviously drafting a forward, so I don't see why you can't make the connection that Eberle is our best prospect, and in a rebuilding mode you draft high end players to play with your existing prospects. Do you not think that Eberle won't be a key component for our top line going forward, along with whoever we draft?

Avatar
#75 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 09:52PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

Ok, Why?

Because we don't even know if he's going to be a bust or not yet....

Avatar
#76 Rusty Duggan
May 04 2010, 09:54PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Jackie Treehorn wrote:

We are obviously drafting a forward, so I don't see why you can't make the connection that Eberle is our best prospect, and in a rebuilding mode you draft high end players to play with your existing prospects. Do you not think that Eberle won't be a key component for our top line going forward, along with whoever we draft?

He may not have gotten the full idea of my original post. I meant to say... the Oiler's will draft their first overall pick to play with Eberle. Not their whole draft around Eberle....hahaha

Avatar
#77 Rusty Duggan
May 04 2010, 09:57PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Because we don't even know if he's going to be a bust or not yet....

I suppose, but I'm as convinced as I'll ever be that Eberle will pan out, based on his performances, accomplishment, and awards.

In the case of John Tavaras... in one season we can't say if he is a bust or not, but if the Islanders won the lottery they would have drafted Hall I could only assume.

Avatar
#78 Ted Sheckler
May 04 2010, 10:04PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
TigerUnderGlass wrote:
The Oiler's will draft around Eberle, and his needs to compliment his game.

If this is the case we are so very very screwed.

They can't build around Penner or Hemmer. Those guys are as good as gone.

Avatar
#79 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 04 2010, 10:08PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

I suppose, but I'm as convinced as I'll ever be that Eberle will pan out, based on his performances, accomplishment, and awards.

In the case of John Tavaras... in one season we can't say if he is a bust or not, but if the Islanders won the lottery they would have drafted Hall I could only assume.

Tavares was #1 overall and he had a heck of a rookie season, something Eberle has yet to do.

Is Vancouver drafting around Hodgson? Is Nashville drafting around Wilson?

Avatar
#80 Rusty Duggan
May 04 2010, 10:16PM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Tavares was #1 overall and he had a heck of a rookie season, something Eberle has yet to do.

Is Vancouver drafting around Hodgson? Is Nashville drafting around Wilson?

I can see the Oilers staff envisioning what their team will look like 3 years from now... and I bet Eberle and #1 pick not being on the top line, would be considered somewhat of a letdown given the high hopes for the players.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

Gregor

Not sure if you are going to do an article on our goalies, but I have a few comments/questions based on what you were talking about yesterday.

I really like your idea about signing a Sanford or a Corey Hirsch type goalie to start in the AHL next year.

I wonder though if maybe we shouldn't sign a Biron to backup Bulin next year and keep both JDD and DD. Try pass both through waivers and hope that at least one does. I just can't see us losing both of those guys via waivers, who exactly would want them?

Is this even an option? I mean is it really a loss if we lose both through waivers?

It's just a thought. I don't think DD/JDD being a backup in the NHL is really going to help them in there development and if they can play in the AHL and get some games maybe one of they can become something.

Avatar
#82 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
May 05 2010, 08:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

I suppose, but I'm as convinced as I'll ever be that Eberle will pan out, based on his performances, accomplishment, and awards.

In the case of John Tavaras... in one season we can't say if he is a bust or not, but if the Islanders won the lottery they would have drafted Hall I could only assume.

do we really need to rehash the number of players who have lit it up in junior and gone on to do SFA in the pros?

yes, things look very promising for eberle, and i really really really really really hope he turns into a good player.

time will tell. suggesting the oilers build around eberle already is crazy talk

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

I'd be curious to know if the Oilers expect Eberle to be a 1st liner or second liner in the future. I mean if the guy turns into a 25-30 goal scorer playing on the second line is it really that bad?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan

I rather build around a group of players then one player. Be nice to be like Chicago or Washington or Pittsburgh, having a core of guys to build around.

Avatar
#85 Zamboni Driver
May 05 2010, 08:56AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

Know who else was real good in the world juniors? Steve Rice.

Exactly.

I think (hope) Eberle will be good, but a 5 ft 10, 180 lb 19 year old is not someone I want to build a team around just yet.

Avatar
#86 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:04AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan wrote:

do we really need to rehash the number of players who have lit it up in junior and gone on to do SFA in the pros?

yes, things look very promising for eberle, and i really really really really really hope he turns into a good player.

time will tell. suggesting the oilers build around eberle already is crazy talk

By the way the original statement was, in a nutshell, that the Oilers would make their first pick taking into account Eberle as a possible line-mate.

WOW, am I the only one that has heard management talking about building a team through the draft. Given Edmonton's unique problem of acquiring free agents, and keeping their homegrown happy, I think it comes down to common sense when you realize that Eberle will replace someone sooner than later. Hemmer will be on a different team in no less than 2 years. This whole line up will change, and nothing is a sure thing. You have to make you first pick based on projections, so why not project where that player plays, and with who going forward. The team has to build around the future for the future.

Yes, Eberle might not pan out, but you may a well gamble that he will be a player and stay here after Hemsky, Penner or whoever is gone.

Avatar
#87 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:05AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Know who else was real good in the world juniors? Steve Rice.

Exactly.

I think (hope) Eberle will be good, but a 5 ft 10, 180 lb 19 year old is not someone I want to build a team around just yet.

Try to at least scroll over the original post to see how the conversation has been distorted....

The original statement was, in a nutshell, that the Oilers would make their FIRST PICK (not the whole damn draft) taking into account Eberle as a possible line-mate.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

Picking based on the future is a mistake. Need to take the best guys available and worry about the future when it comes.

We have no idea what our needs will be in 3+ years. Look 3-5 years ago, who would've thought we'd need a center in 2010. We had Stoll, Horcoff, Pouilot, Cogliano, Stortini(now a winger), Nilsson, O'Marra Brodziak, Schremp, Spurgeon etc. but yet in 07 we went ahead and drafted Gagner ahead of Voracek.

Avatar
#89 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:12AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

"DO LINEMATES HELP MAKE THE PLAYER?" We are talking lines here, not entire teams. We are talking the first overall pick, not the entire draft

Projection

Would drafting Hall over Seguin make our best current prospect Eberle better? ...or vice versa

That's all I was trying say.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Rusty Duggan

What happens if MPS becomes our best prospect in 2 months time?

Avatar
#91 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:17AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

"Picking based on the future is a mistake"

It may very well be a mistake, but Edmonton is a very unique market as you know, and we may have to cling to hope a little more than the average team.

Avatar
#92 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
May 05 2010, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

By the way the original statement was, in a nutshell, that the Oilers would make their first pick taking into account Eberle as a possible line-mate.

WOW, am I the only one that has heard management talking about building a team through the draft. Given Edmonton's unique problem of acquiring free agents, and keeping their homegrown happy, I think it comes down to common sense when you realize that Eberle will replace someone sooner than later. Hemmer will be on a different team in no less than 2 years. This whole line up will change, and nothing is a sure thing. You have to make you first pick based on projections, so why not project where that player plays, and with who going forward. The team has to build around the future for the future.

Yes, Eberle might not pan out, but you may a well gamble that he will be a player and stay here after Hemsky, Penner or whoever is gone.

Odds are much better that this years pick will be the star rather then Eberle, if anything they'll be building around Hall/Seguin, no basing which of the 2 they draft around Eberle.

Avatar
#93 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:19AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

What happens if MPS becomes our best prospect in 2 months time?

Things are fairly set in stone leading up to the draft as far as the depth charts go, but I can see what your saying....you'd be kicking yourself for not taking Seguin maybe idk.

Avatar
#94 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:24AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F

This is not so much about the drafting the better player as it is about needs and necessity....we've all heard how close the players. We've got Eberle sitting round on the wing, center.....idk. What spot do we need filled ?

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

This is not so much about the drafting the better player as it is about needs and necessity....we've all heard how close the players. We've got Eberle sitting round on the wing, center.....idk. What spot do we need filled ?

Every area needs to be filled or upgraded that is why I don't see the need for just picking who you think we will need sooner. The other problem is how do we know who will develop and who won't? We have a bunch of prospects in the system right now, maybe one breaks out next year that we aren't expecting?

I agree that taking Seguin is probably the smart pick because his talent is close to Hall and he is a center, but who is to say Hall doesn't get converted back to center or Eberle continues to play well at center or Gagner takes the next and becomes a number 1 next year.

That is why I stick to drafting who you think is and will be best. There are far too many variables when it comes to prospects and the development of them.

Avatar
#96 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 09:54AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers

@Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach

I read a blog recently on hockeybuzz...haha. The guy had some interesting theories about our number one pick.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/The-Mailbag/131/28156

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

I read a blog recently on hockeybuzz...haha. The guy had some interesting theories about our number one pick.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/The-Mailbag/131/28156

The guy is an idiot.

Avatar
#98 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 10:06AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

The guy is an idiot.

I like the sigh of relief theory...lol. I mentioned earlier that it would be nice to have Steve Y in Edmonton and turf the old management. I wonder if Darryl Katz has any ideas about this, or if his too busy being trapped in his room surrounded by pee jars, and toe nail clippings.

Avatar
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Rusty Duggan wrote:

I like the sigh of relief theory...lol. I mentioned earlier that it would be nice to have Steve Y in Edmonton and turf the old management. I wonder if Darryl Katz has any ideas about this, or if his too busy being trapped in his room surrounded by pee jars, and toe nail clippings.

I highly doubt that Katz has any intention of removing Lowe or Tambo from their positions anytime soon. If Tambo has made his plan clear to Katz about a rebuild I think that Katz will wait it out. Barring a major screw up I can't see Tambo going anywhere anytime soon, it's just a wish that fans want.

Avatar
#100 Rusty Duggan
May 05 2010, 10:14AM
Trash it!
0
trashes
Cheers
0
cheers
Ogden Brother Jr. - Team Strudwick for coach wrote:

I highly doubt that Katz has any intention of removing Lowe or Tambo from their positions anytime soon. If Tambo has made his plan clear to Katz about a rebuild I think that Katz will wait it out. Barring a major screw up I can't see Tambo going anywhere anytime soon, it's just a wish that fans want.

Having a guy like Stevie Y would bring instant credibility to the franchise, and it may even help bring in free agents. Tambo gives off bad vibes that remind me of John Ferguson Jr. Why should this management have the right to take part in the rebuild ? They don't deserve it.

Comments are closed for this article.