MPS: big things in store for the big Swede

Robin Brownlee
June 01 2010 04:43PM

2009 NHL Draft Portraits

I'm expecting to be thoroughly impressed by Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson when he arrives in town early next month, and so are the Edmonton Oilers, who inked the big and talented Swedish left-winger to a three year contract today.

That certainly goes for chief scout Stu MacGregor, who called Paajarvi-Svensson's name with the 10th selection in the 2009 Entry Draft and will welcome him to Edmonton when the Oilers host a rookie camp July 5-9.

"When we drafted him, we were thrilled as an organization to get him," MacGregor told me today. "We think he can be a major offensive force. He does everything at a very high tempo."

Here's excerpts from the new release:

"General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have signed Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson to a three-year NHL entry level contract.

Paajarvi-Svensson, the Oilers 1st round choice, 10th overall, in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, recently completed his third season with Timra IK of the Swedish Elite League. The 6’2”, 201-pound left-winger from Norrkoping, Sweden, finished third in team scoring with 29 points (12G, 17A) in 49 games.

The 19-year-old has also seen considerable action internationally, most recently winning the bronze medal at the 2010 World Championship in Germany with Team Sweden. He led the team in scoring with nine points (5G, 4A) in nine games, was third in tournament scoring and was selected to the tournament all-star team, all at just 19-years-old. Paajarvi-Svensson also has won two silver medals at the 2008 and 2009 IIHF World Junior Championship. In 2008, Paajarvi-Svensson became the youngest player ever to play with Sweden when he was just 16 years and 8 months old."

HIGH PRAISE

When MacGregor talks about Paajarvi-Svensson, who is primarily a left-winger but told Jason Gregor of TEAM 1260 today he can also play right wing, he draws some comparisons to Ales Hemsky.

"He makes plays at high speed," MacGregor said. "Hemmer does that, too, and Magnus drives to the net from both sides. He's a lot like Ales in that he's scored some incredible goals.

"I think it's going to be exciting for us to see a big kid like this coming at defenders with the kind of pace he plays at."

From what I've been told, Paajarvi-Svensson might be the most NHL-ready prospect fans will see at training camp in September. He'll certainly get a chance to show it, likely lining up behind only Dustin Penner on the depth chart at left wing.

The big Swede is one of the reasons I believe the Oilers will opt to take centre Tyler Seguin with the first pick at the 2010 Entry Draft in Los Angeles. Unless I'm misreading the tea leaves and being sold a bill of goods on Paajarvi-Svensson, he's got a chance to be no worse than the Oilers second-line left-winger this coming season.

SEGUIN TAKES HIS SHOT

While Taylor Hall made the most of his chance in the spotlight with an MVP performance for the Windsor Spitfires at the Memorial Cup, Seguin made hay with his opportunity at the NHL combine.

That's no surprise to MacGregor, and it's one of the reasons why Seguin is so highly regarded by Oilers scouts.

"He's very competitive," MacGregor said of Seguin. "He looked at the competition (Hall) and said, 'How can I step it up here?' He took it off the ice and he did it in the gym.

"Both these kids want to be the best guy. That's what makes both of them so special. Taylor had his chance at the Memorial Cup and Tyler made the most of his opportunity (at the combine)."

Hall, as everybody knows, didn't take part in all of the physical testing at the combine in Toronto after a gruelling playoff run. That's caused some fans to jump off the bandwagon they piled on during the MC and start talking about Seguin.

THIS AND THAT...

-- A lot of fans know Oilers play-by-play man Rod Phillips will throw out the first pitch tonight at the Edmonton Capitals home-opener down at Telus Field. What you might not know is that Phillips should be right at home on the bump.

Phillips, 68, shouldn't have any trouble hitting the mitt. The Skipper was a pitcher in his youth growing up in Calmar. In fact, while playing with the Calmar Cubs in the old Oilfield League -- I think it was in the late-1930s -- Phillips tossed a one-hitter.

-- Applications continue to come in from those looking to take Phillips place as play-by-play man, but unless an established big-hitter with an NHL resume comes calling, I still see Bob Stauffer as the leading candidate to get the job.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- moving Stauffer into Phillips spot and making Kevin Karius of Global TV his analyst is a combination that's difficult to beat. If you listened to Stauffer and Karius work together this season, you know what I'm talking about it.

-- MacGregor made the call on the firing of scout Chris McCarthy last week after consulting with Tambellini. It's his staff, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's another change coming.

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#101 Jason Gregor
June 02 2010, 01:38PM
GSP wrote:

Hey Robin..very excited that MPS is signed especially after listening to Gregors interview with him. Quick question, do you know if the oilers are holding a draft party of any sort? I am a season ticket holder but have not heard of anything. Also, is the nation doing any sort of draft party? I know Gregor and you are going to the draft - need someone to carry your bags and be a gofer?? lol

Thanks...and love your posts as always.

The Nation and my show are combining to have a draft party at the PINT. Details coming in a week or so.

#102 Rob
June 02 2010, 01:39PM

What turns me off with this site and some of the article posters is they can't handle people who disagree with them. I would think it is the energy developed between varying views about players, management trades etc. that makes a site like this potentially very interesting. What I don't like is posters like Brownlee coming to the defence of his buddies in a very nasty way and then we are told to play nice. Rather hypocritical n'est pas?

If you don't want snide comments back don't resort to your special status with the site to stomp people who don't necessarily share a certain point of view.

#103 Aleslav Smidsky
June 02 2010, 01:46PM

Sign Sam Gagner and trade him with Souray for a good utility player. With MPS, Hall/Sequin, Eberle coming up I really dont see any room or use for him. His stock is high(I will assume) so we should be able to get something for him, he was a 6th overall pick. Not to hate on the little man, but he really hasnt done anything other then those shoutout goals in his rookie season.

Please, do not crucify me by putting up numbers he has put up. Horcoff has numbers too.

#104 moosewacker
June 02 2010, 01:48PM

"I like to make goals" / MPS interviewed on Oiler's Lunch today.

#105 David S
June 02 2010, 01:50PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

Might as well. ~After all, MPS, Hall/Sequin and Eberle will all be hitting 50 points (at least!) next year. Who the hell needs a loser like Gagner around?~

Holy man. There's energy and then there's tard energy.

#106 moosewacker
June 02 2010, 01:58PM

"I like to make goals" / MPS interviewed on Oiler's Lunch today.

#107 moosewacker
June 02 2010, 02:02PM

"I like to make goals" / MPS interviewed on Oiler's Lunch today.

#108 Aleslav Smidsky
June 02 2010, 02:02PM

@David S

So, you're a tard? I'm not sure what your are getting at. You got a Gagner jersey and I hurt your feeling? What is up?

#109 BBOil
June 02 2010, 02:03PM

@Aleslav Smidsky

If your going to make this trade, I hope you get more than a utility player. Gagner is going to be a career top 6 forward, and although some money comes with Souray, he can be a pretty valuable guy to have when healthy.

#110 SkinnyD
June 02 2010, 02:18PM

@Aleslav Smidsky

Gagner's done nothing....except become a better all-around player on a fairly bad team. Why do you want to trade away our future #2 centerman? Are there some readily available out there that only you know about that our GM can so easily go out and get?

He's coming along nicely...and pretty much right on schedule. If we draft Seguin and he plays, that's a pretty nice 1/2/3 with him, Gagner and Horcoff on a rebound year.

#111 LBH
June 02 2010, 02:18PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

It's called having an opinion. I don't have to write about Hall if I don't want to. I've never said he was bad, actually I've stated many times he is very good.

Hall is a better skater and stronger right now. So what. He might be the better player long term, that is very possible. But I doubt it will be by much, and the Oilers drastically need a centre more than wingers right now. Hemsky, Penner, Eberle, MPS, Brule, Omark are all potential skilled wingers. Teams win with strength down the middle.

I prefer a centre, and I don't buy into the theory Hall can play centre in the NHL at will. It isn't that easy.

It isn't biased towards Seguin, it's called an opinion. Because I don't agree with yours doesn't make it a bias. Not sure why you keep bringing this up.

and who's to say over the next 1-4 years the Oilers don't either

A) Develop a Centre from the crop they have B) Draft a hidden gem a la Eberle C) Sign a C D) Trade for a C with a Hemsky/Penner or anyone else when their contracts are close to expiring and the youth is still very youthful

take the BPA no matter what, if its Seguin so be it, if the draft Seguin because he's a C and Hall turns out to be the BP, I'm sure all of Oilers "nation" will be some pissed off

#112 It's Hall Over!!!
June 02 2010, 02:18PM

From International Scouting Services:

"Although Windsor Spitfires' sniper Taylor Hall added a second consecutive Memorial Cup to go along with back-to-back Memorial Cup MVP honours to an already impressive resume, he had nowhere to go as he remains the top prospect in the ISS rankings. The ISS also recognized Hall as the top skater, scorer and the best at puck protection available in the draft."

So 4 out of the 5 major scouting agencies rank Hall #1. And the only scouting agency that doesn't rank Hall #1 is CSS, which is the least credible out of the 5.

In my opinion, why would the Oilers pass on the best skater in the draft, the best scorer in the draft and the best at protecting the puck in the draft?

Just sayin...

#113 David S
June 02 2010, 02:20PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

Sam is a proven NHL commodity with loads of NHL upside - at 20. So you'd pawn him off to make room for a bunch of guys who have proven squat in the big boy's league?

I'll agree we have some good potential coming into camp next year, but how about letting them prove they belong before anointing them the next 99/11/17.

#114 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 02 2010, 02:21PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

I think he's getting at the fact that you are following perfectly the classic Oiler fan recipe.

Pump up prospect, complain when he does hit star level within a couple of years, suggest we dump him to be replaced by the shinny new prospect.

Rinse and repeat.

#115 Wanyes bastard child
June 02 2010, 02:26PM

@RossCreekNation

You being a flames fan and all, I found this interview

and I was wondering your thoughts on it?

#116 SkinnyD
June 02 2010, 02:30PM
It's Hall Over!!! wrote:

From International Scouting Services:

Just sayin...

If Seguin was to play another year of junior and dominate the same way Hall has, on a similar team, would you still be singing the same tune? Of course Hall is rated higher..he should be...he has a year on Seguin, played for the World Juniors and won a 2nd straight Memorial Cup quite convincingly.

BPA doesn't necessarily mean BPA right this second - part of the equation is projecting who will be better long-term. I'd say that's a coin flip at the moment, and because we need a bonafide centerman it makes Seguin the more logical choice for our team.

Hopefully management continues to keep their mouths shut and gets something out of Boston so we can get him at #2 plus at least another pick.

#117 Moses
June 02 2010, 02:31PM
Rob wrote:

I agree with this alot of the time. Definately makes me come to the site less because it is fairly annoying to see some of the childish replies. I'm sure we are not the only ones that are turned off of the site due to this.

#118 madjam
June 02 2010, 02:31PM
MattL wrote:

I like the way you think madjam.

I agree, we should get Versteeg/Byfuglien, Simmonds, Carcillo, VanRiemsdyke, and Alzner for exactly nothing. Great plan.

madprops, madjam.

Most current Oilers i left off my list for the purpose of attempting to land a few of the others i would like on my list . Let me know when you figure out how we can get them for nothing .

#119 Quicksilver ballet
June 02 2010, 02:34PM

Looks to me like Taylor Hall has established himself as the clear No.1 prospect in this draft....how could the Oilers not take him now.

What would it take to fleece the Hurricans out of Brandon Sutter....could he eventually be a 1st or second line center?.....20 goals last year playing behind Staal and Cullen.

#120 It's Hall Over!!!
June 02 2010, 02:36PM

@SkinnyD - Team Jessica Alba

Last time I checked, both Hall and Seguin are available THIS draft, not next year. So it's a moot point to say "what if" Seguin played next season.

And I'm aware that Hall has played an extra year.

Is it really a coin toss right now? Almost every scout that's been asked on TSN or the Team 1260 have said they would take Hall.

Never draft for position. BPA.

#121 SkinnyD
June 02 2010, 02:45PM

@It's Hall Over!!!

You're being dense with your BPA assessment. Hall and Seguin are both BP'sA, but very different, and at different stages of development. For Seguin to be mentioned in the same breath as Hall, and yet be a year behind, speaks volumes. Was Hall this much on the radar last year?

You still have to project where both players will be in 1,5,10 years from now - a nearly impossible task. Do you really think Hall is going to be that much further ahead than Seguin in 5 years? And by how wide a margin are all these agencies saying Hall is #1? 5% better? 10% better? 95% better? Do you have that info?

Scouts can say what they want, but they're responsible for assessment, and the GM is responsible for the entire direction of the team. If we need a #1 centerman to build on for the future, we'd be stupid to take Hall. Wingers are a dime a dozen by nature - Centermen are not. I think at this level of drafting, doing it for position played has to be a factor.

#122 It's Hall Over!!!
June 02 2010, 02:54PM

@SkinnyD - Team Jessica Alba

Actually Hall was on the radar. It's been said that Hall would have been selected 1st overall last season if he were available. Ahead of Tavares, Hedman and Duchene.

I guess what I'm saying is I've never seen a team take a player 1st overall that is projected to be a better player in 5-10 years? Why would somebody take that risk?

You take the best player today, and in my opinion that is Hall. Almost everybody agrees that Hall is better today. I just don't buy the argument that Seguin "might' be better in 5 years. Do you have that info?

#123 Hemmertime
June 02 2010, 02:57PM
IHeartHemsky wrote:

Robin YOU better respond to Lenny SOON! I am worried for your safety!!

This cracked me up. Props

#124 Robin Brownlee
June 02 2010, 03:00PM
Rob wrote:

What "turns me off: are vague, broad-brush accusations like yours.

Give me an example of where somebody raised a reasonable question and I just went off on them for no reason -- cite the initial inquiry (verbatim) and a response by me that is hostile or "nasty." Again, verbatim, not you paraphrasing something you sort of remember. It's simple cut and paste stuff and shouldn't be hard to find.

Please, make your case.

#125 Hemmertime
June 02 2010, 03:05PM
Aleslav Smidsky wrote:

Gagner for utility player, thats what was retarded.

*Edit. Sorry, Gagner AND Souray... sigh

#126 Crash
June 02 2010, 03:06PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

I don't have a problem with your opinion, it's yours and everyone is entitled to...

One poster wanted to know why nothing negative is ever posted about Seguin and only about Hall...I offered my opinion as to why that is.

That's great that your opinion is that Seguin is the better pick and in my opinion the articles that have been written have tried to show why that is and some of the articles have tried to pick apart pieces of Hall's game but never is anything said in any of the articles that picks apart any part of Seguin's game...I don't know if it's an attempt at swaying people or what but in my opinion you and the other writers have a bias towards Seguin. So while I didn't want to have the venom as the other poster, I did agree that you guys have said negative things about Hall but not about Seguin.

It has been stated many times by many GM's that you don't draft based on need right now...who knows what the need will be 3 yrs from now? You have to draft the player that will be the best. Needs can be addressed later.

Having said that I don't think it's as much of a stretch for a player that has as much skill and talent as Hall who has played tons of center for him to not only learn to play it but to play it well. That's my opinion. And seeing as how the Oilers already have Gagner (a right handed center) I think it would serve the Oilers well to draft Hall and if need be make him a center (left handed). This in my opinion would give the Oilers future high end centers from both sides. Not to mention that Seguin is more of a question mark than Hall is.

#127 SkinnyD
June 02 2010, 03:10PM
It's Hall Over!!! wrote:

@SkinnyD - Team Jessica Alba

There is a ton of detail that goes into the decision - if it were simply a matter of taking the best player as of right now, Hall would be the guy, and no one would bother with the Combine. But this is an extremely inexact science that you're so confidently making an exact science. Good luck with that...this isn't about black and white.

Personally, I'll be ecstatic with whoever we pick. I think Seguin makes more sense being the natural centerman, but Hall is so dynamic it's hard not to like him. Either way I think our team wins.

#128 baggedmilk
June 02 2010, 03:51PM
Robin Brownlee wrote:

What "turns me off: are vague, broad-brush accusations like yours.

Please, make your case.

Grabs whip, chain, midevil torture rack and defends Brownlee with due diligence.

*hey a bird*

#129 Teed
June 02 2010, 04:38PM

The Taylor/Tyler debate is tearing the nation apart...

#130 Bucknuck
June 02 2010, 05:15PM
Teed wrote:

The Taylor/Tyler debate is tearing the nation apart...

it is really bringing out the inner a-hole in a lot of posters.

#131 Ogden Bothered
June 02 2010, 06:04PM
Bucknuck wrote:

it is really bringing out the inner a-hole in a lot of posters.

You smell like inner a-hole!

Sorry, I got caught up in the moment.

#132 Jason Gregor
June 02 2010, 09:54PM
LBH wrote:

and who's to say over the next 1-4 years the Oilers don't either

THe great argument about best player available, is no one, not even the scouts know for sure who WILL BE the best player. That is the intriguing part of it.

Of course if they take Seguin and Hall turns out better fans will be pissed. But what if they take Hall and Seguin turns out to be better. Won't the same happen?

The only difference is people will say that 4 out of 5 scouting rankings had Hall first. But none have had him by a ridiculous margin. So the argument is there that Seguin might be better.

No one knows. If they play the percentages I guess they take Hall, but that doesn't make it right either.

#133 Jason Gregor
June 02 2010, 09:59PM

@Crash

What was so negative that I said about Hall?

That he keeps his head down and gets rocked? His own GM was on my show and said he had never seen a guy get rocked so often in three years.

Is that negative or factual? I'd say factual.

And as far as BP available...The great argument about best player available, is no one, not even the scouts know for sure who WILL BE the best player. That is the intriguing part of it.

#134 Pokey Reddock
June 02 2010, 10:35PM

With all this talk about BPA...Hall or Seguin...drafting for team needs there is one thing that is clear.

How many people can actually say they've seen Seguin play more that once or twice??

So, when I hear most scouts who actually watch both players all the time think that Hall is the better of the 2 players right now, that's what makes me lean more to wanting Hall.

Again, projecting 5 years down the road who might be better is a guessing game, but its a tough chocie regardless.

#135 michael
June 03 2010, 07:32AM

I would be a shame if Bob Stauffer was not handed the microphone. Kevin would also be an intelligent pick as the color analyst. With both men having pad thier dues on the local sports scene. Bob in radio amd Kevin on Global TV. Both also have proven trak records in the community. They are both in my opinion capable broadcasters who will be able to continue the legacy left behind by Rod Phillips and others like Morley Scottand Jim Matheson. To those who think that the OIlers organization is going to look outside the box to fill these positions you are going to be sorely disappointed. Bob and Kevin names will be the ones we hear call, "Eberle shoots and scores".

#136 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
June 03 2010, 08:02AM
LBH wrote:

and who's to say over the next 1-4 years the Oilers don't either

~yes, because the oilers have proven over the last 20 years they can find and develop a legit #1 centre~

#137 Crash
June 03 2010, 08:03AM
Jason Gregor wrote:

What was so negative that I said about Hall?

Is that negative or factual? I'd say factual.

I will admit that of course there is no way of knowing at this point who will be the best player....yes it could turn out to be Seguin. I just think Hall is more of a sure thing and more of the type of player that is required in the game today for teams to succeed...

I guess we'll find out in due time.

I never did say that anyone was grossly negative about Hall, just little tidbits. I acknowledge that you realize that Hall is a dynamic player but I do believe you stated in one of your articles that if the fans wanted to be entertained that it would be good for the Oilers to take Hall but if the fans wanted a championship the Oilers should take Seguin.

I felt that was somewhat unfair to Hall especially given that he is the one that has lead his OHL team to back to back OHL and Memorial Cup championships.

In any event I guess we find out in 3 weeks who the Oilers take. I do agree with what Brownlee said on your program yesterday. If there is a deal between the Oilers and Boston it won't be a swap of picks. I believe the Oilers will pick first no matter what but they may get something from Boston to ensure that Boston gets who they want at number 2.

#138 madjam
June 03 2010, 08:36AM

Will Hall or Seguin turn out to be a phenom , franchise player or an all star player down the line ? They should both turn out to be good NHL players , but how good is questionable . Can either be a guarteed cornerstone player ?

Will next years crop be any better ? It's not quite like drafting Gretzky , Crosby or an Ovechkin .

#139 madjam
June 03 2010, 08:55AM

If we are to draft by position in a rebuild/restructuring ,then you would generally assume it would be from backend firstly in most cases . We are not exactly strong on present defense to be honest .

Why are we not going after goaltending or defense with our first pick if that is the consensus way to rebuild ?

#140 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
June 03 2010, 09:23AM
madjam wrote:

Because their is no goalie or Dman that ranks in the same league as Seguin/Hall....

#141 Bucknuck
June 03 2010, 10:15AM
Moses wrote:

I have disagreed with many of the posters on this site (Brownlee included) and I have posted expressing my viewpoints. Never have I been treated with less than respect.

Do you know why?

It is because when I write a post disagreeing with a viewpoint I construct it in a respectful way. You reap what you sow: if your disagreement is written in an antagonistic matter is it not fair for the person who writes the blog to shut them down?

If anything, the ability and propensity for the bloggers to call out the scrappy posters is part of the joy I get on this site. If you are willing to dish it out you better be willing to take it.

I love watching a poster who is high on opinion and low on substance get shutdown. My favorite was Andrew, who I haven't seen post since.

#142 Robin Brownlee
June 03 2010, 12:49PM
Moses wrote:

Your comment, like that of your pal "Rob" seems dubious at best and a bit staged. Fake, even. I don't recognize your name. How often have you commented here?

If you're trying to apply some sort of pressure with the "I read less often because . . ." approach, stop tip-toeing around and e-mail the website owners directly, spell out your beef.

Like I told "Rob," cut and paste examples of when Gregor or I have responded to a reasonable question or to somebody disagreeing with our opinion in an unreasonable way. Show me the initial inquiry and the unreasonable response.

If you're not willing to do that, and I suspect you're aren't because you won't come up with anything (I'm still waiting to hear from "Rob")and, like I said, your initial comment seems a bit staged, then stop whining.

#143 GSP
June 03 2010, 01:04PM

Robin/Gregor...quick question..just read an article on TSN by Bob Mackenzie stating that Spezza could be had. Do you see this as a possibility for the Oilers given he only turns 27 this summer?

I know he is a large cap hit but if we can include Horcoff or Souray in a package....think it is possible? If so, do you think that would have a bearing on who they draft if they can get a deal in place for Spezza before or at the draft?

Myself..not too sure but would look good between Penner and Hemsky.

#144 Robin Brownlee
June 03 2010, 01:37PM
GSP wrote:

Myself..not too sure but would look good between Penner and Hemsky.

The only way it makes any sense is if, as you suggested, the Sens take Horcoff or Souray. I'd make a call to find out, but even then it's not a deal I'd move heaven and earth to make.

#145 madjam
June 03 2010, 10:44PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

Are not Gunbladson and Fowler rated highly ? You make it sound like their are only two players worth taking this draft year, and no defensive talent worth considering /taking .

#146 Archaeologuy
June 04 2010, 12:37AM
madjam wrote:

There are no defensemen worth taking with the 1st overall pick even though there are plenty of defensemen worth taking. You have a 1 Million dollar bill and no one has change. Are you going to spend that unbreakable bill on something close to its value or a BigMac meal at McDonalds?

Every scout lists Seguin and Hall above Fowler et al for a reason. You have the first overall pick, take the best player.

#147 madjam
June 04 2010, 06:40AM
Archaeologuy wrote:

How does two for one sound ? Worth serious consideration ? Would swapping picks with Tampa also get us Hedman with or without throwing in Souray ? Maybe even get more with Souray part of the package . How about Z. Bogozian and swap of picks ?

That would allow us probably a shot at either Fowler or Gunblandson and another good young defenceman . Not a bad case scenario to a rebuild from backend . We are unlikely to replace the value of Souray anyways .

Needless to say ,this two for one(or more if we consider Souray dilemma) idea would fit well in our present financial and Cap world addessing many other concerns the club has .

I just happen to think my idea should get serious due diligience and consideration . In fact, i prefer it to taking either Hall /Seguin with Svensson , Eberle and others already sitting in the "wings " going into next season .