HAWKS WIN HAWKS WIN

Wanye
June 10 2010 09:22AM

Jason Gregor made the following claim on Facebook yesterday afternoon: "Flyers will win and game seven goes Friday. Nothing better than game seven...at least in the sports world."

Heh heh heh.

Gregor.

He was wrong of course and Patrick Kane was oh so right slipping a mystery past Leighton early in the first period of overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks their first Stanley Cup since 1784, when a young Robin Brownlee was heard to remark "This Pierre Pilote is going to be one heck of a defenseman."

Good on you Kane you tricky little weasel.

AND GOOD ON YOU CHICAGO

Even the stone heartest among us have to find some joy in Chicago winning the Stanley Cup. A long suffering member of the Original Six, Chi Town hadn't won a cup since 1961. 1961 Nation. Think of the generations of fans that passed through Chicago Stadium and the United Centre without a whisper of hope for so many years.

Think of the street vendors expecting to make a living selling bootleg Stanley Cup Champions merchandise that starved to death anonymously under bridges all around the greater Chicago area.

Think of the building managers at the AON Center in downtown Chicago who came up with the wicked lighting schema above. Who knows how long this had been in the making? It was probably be one of those dark secrets passed down from generation to generation of building managers, just waiting for a chance to see the light of day.

"Now listen new guy" the old building manager would say on his last day on the job before retiring. "There is a secret plan in the event the Hawks win the Cup." Then he would painfully amble over to a long forgotten bookshelf in the corner of his office, deep in the bowels of the building.

Blowing the dust off an ancient file folder marked "THE PLAN" he would carefully go over the protocols to turn off the breaker switches to 17 floors of corner offices. Incredulously the new guy would listen on, fresh with the ideals of being a recent graduate of Building Manager School, wondering if he would be able to enact the intricate plan should the big day ever arrive.

Well that day has arrived Gentlemen and you have earned your treat.

Congrats to the building managers at the AON Centre. Congrats to the street vendors in Chicago, happily selling bootleg teeshirts, flags and hats as fast as their illegal overseas suppliers can keep pace.

Congrats to the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.

Except you Hossa, we don't care for you in the least.

Hat tip to DJ Ross Creek for the party anthem.

09049f03ecb006ab29372206f2a88f75
#1 Dave
June 10 2010, 09:25AM

I hate to admit it but i sure didnt want to see Pronger raise another cup. Congrats Chicago.

#3 The Towel Boy
June 10 2010, 09:32AM

Hahaha...I wonder if Pronger got the game puck?

#4 BUCK75
June 10 2010, 09:38AM

I didn't really get a chance to watch the 3 periods of hockey as I was golfing in the monsoon last night. As we finished our last hole of Men's night @ Montgomery Glens I check the score app on my BB & the score was 3-2 hawks with 12 minutes left. At this point we were hoping to see the hawks skating around basking in the glory of the win. Much to our surprise when we hit the clubhouse it was tied game.

WTF is up with Leighton letting that goal in? He can't honestly sign his upcoming fat contract. I found the celebration to be a bit weak on the Hawks part, maybe it had something to do with the video review.

It is nice to see as an Oilers fan the Penguins & Hawks have some success with their young teams. ~This will raise our expectations for sure, if we don't win the cup in 2015 I will be disappointed.~

#5 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
June 10 2010, 09:48AM

I guess this is similar to the plan to switch over the Nation layout one day when the Oil make the playoffs.

#6 Archaeologuy
June 10 2010, 09:51AM

Finally we can start talking about the upcoming draft. I dont think that's had enough time dedicated to it.

#7 yegCopywriter
June 10 2010, 09:52AM

1dollarteetimes.com prevented me from the seeing the Hawks win it, as I was busy golfing at Indian Lakes for a loonie.

$1 golf > seeing Stanley Cup win live.

#8 Cam Davie
June 10 2010, 09:53AM

Kane's celebration was awesome, because he and Sharp were the only ones in the BUILDING that knew it went in. Everyone else was all "Calm down Junior. Go cut your stupid hair."

I am SO relieved that Pronger didn't win. Good on the BC Boys for coming through with a victory.

#9 The Towel Boy
June 10 2010, 09:56AM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Wanye! We may have a security breach.

Execute "Order 66"!!!

#10 RossCreekNation
June 10 2010, 09:58AM

I hereby sumbit this video to the Nation as the 'official unofficial Blackhawks theme song'...

#12 BUCK75
June 10 2010, 10:02AM

@RossCreekNation

I guess this means I have to get rid of my Hawks Goal Horn/Chelsea Dagger ringtone.

#14 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
June 10 2010, 10:10AM

Expand to Winnipeg, Wanye, and I'll be a repeat customer. I try to get out either every Sunday or every other Sunday I'm in town over Winnipeg's 5-week-long Summer.

There's (up to) five whole dollars in it for you.

#15 yegCopywriter
June 10 2010, 10:23AM

@Wanye

Yeah, it was great. The dude in the pro shop wasn't quite up to speed on the whole concept yet (had to call his manager to confirm that I prepaid in advance and that it actually was a dollar). He was hilariously boggled by the whole concept.

#16 Senator Theo
June 10 2010, 10:32AM

While we are talking about the Nation's layout, is anyone else having issues loading Nation pages in IE? Nothing but the ads load in IE, but everything seems fine in Firefox.

#17 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
June 10 2010, 10:36AM
Senator Theo wrote:

I only have that problem when I've got another window open with GMail. I think it has more to do with my office network than the site. I never have any issues at home.

#20 Senator Theo
June 10 2010, 10:40AM

@Wanye

I'm running IE 8. I was just curious if it was an issue with our computers here at work, or if others were having the same problems.

Seeing just the ads actually lets me get more accomplished at work, so maybe it's not all bad.

#21 MrCondor
June 10 2010, 10:42AM

Hawks were just the better team. Too bad it was such a weird goal - we got to see a confused trickle of happiness instead of an eruption of joy.

Good on Toews for handing Hossa the cup next and good on Hossa for being humble about accepting it. Class acts.

Did Toews just have the best year of hockey ever? Gretzky's '87 is the only comparable I can think of.

#22 BUCK75
June 10 2010, 10:46AM

@Wanye

Nothing in Ponoka...yet. I would even take the Menacer out on a $1 tee time. My treat of course~

#23 DoubleJ
June 10 2010, 10:54AM

Keith should have been the MVP. IMO. What a year for Toews and Keith. Keith will probably win the Norris as well.

#24 DoubleJ
June 10 2010, 10:56AM

The Oilers should try and get Sharp this off season. He'd be are new Captain.

#25 SportsDad
June 10 2010, 10:58AM

@Senator Theo

I was having a similar issue a while ago, I flipped the compatibility switch at the top near the adress bar and now it all works for me and I read ON all day waiting for the next Wanye witty remark to cause me to giggle uncontrolably.

#26 jeanshorts
June 10 2010, 11:05AM

Easily the most anti-climactic overtime cup winner of all time. The only thing that would have been worse is if they had to go upstairs for 10 minutes just to make sure.

#27 David S
June 10 2010, 11:15AM

How hung over must Kane be right now? How many fat chicks are sleeping it off in his limo? How many homeless people did Pronger kicks last night? And how crappy does Leighton feel this morning?

These are the things I want to know.

#28 jeanshorts
June 10 2010, 11:23AM
David S wrote:

These are the things I want to know.

Did you see the interview with his buddies and his "famous cousin" on the ice? It's painfully clear that his cousin did all the work on the cabbie. What a douchenozzle that guy was.

#29 Archaeologuy
June 10 2010, 11:26AM
David S wrote:

These are the things I want to know.

Very; 4; Chris Pronger doesnt kick the Homeless, he mocks them publicly and tells the police that they tried to burn his baby's crib; Pretty Crappy.

#31 rubbertrout
June 10 2010, 11:42AM
Wanye wrote:

Sweet merciful crap. That layout has two copies and one is on a USB key I keep hidden in a secure location in Wanye Manor*

*this is actually true

I'm frightened as to exactly where such a "secure" location would be.

#32 I'm a Scientist!
June 10 2010, 11:49AM

I am extremely happy that the blackhawks won, but am i alone in thinking that if the goal didn't count it would have been pretty fun to watch Patrick Kane collect all the hockey equipment he littered the ice with. THAT would have been sweet revenge for the cabbie he beat up...

Either way I am just excited that a team i was pulling for actually won something. Such a strange feeling...

*Runs off to shower this feeling off in order to prepare for the 2010/11 season*

#33 freeze
June 10 2010, 11:50AM
rubbertrout wrote:

I'm frightened as to exactly where such a "secure" location would be.

I'm sure getting to it requires the removal of his underwear (or pants in the case of commando).

#34 baggedmilk
June 10 2010, 12:09PM

Little known fact... Patrick Kane paid for Denis Savard to get a blowie last night. Then he wept with happiness.

#35 Eddie Shore
June 10 2010, 12:13PM
baggedmilk wrote:

How much does Duncan Keith charge, sans teeth?

#36 David S
June 10 2010, 12:14PM
jeanshorts wrote:

I've seen buddies of some of the players here in Edmonton.

"Douchenozzle" is the operative terminology.

#37 baggedmilk
June 10 2010, 12:16PM
Eddie Shore wrote:

How much does Duncan Keith charge, sans teeth?

Ahh the velvet rub... Excellent choice.

$15.00... $195.00 with PST... damn government

#38 jeanshorts
June 10 2010, 12:20PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Ahh the velvet rub... Excellent choice.

$15.00... $195.00 with PST... damn government

IT'S THE GOD DAMN HST THAT'S GOING TO TEAR THIS COUNTRY APART! TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 Poo Czar
June 10 2010, 12:39PM

Uhhh.... MEECH LAKE ACCORD!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!

#41 David S
June 10 2010, 12:42PM

#43 Archaeologuy
June 10 2010, 12:59PM
Wanye wrote:

Heh heh.

I wish we could put pictures in the comments.

No you dont. Think that statement through, and remember that this is the internet.

#44 David S
June 10 2010, 01:00PM
Wanye wrote:

Heh heh.

I wish we could put pictures in the comments.

That's a Pandora's box you don't want to open. Jeanshorts, Baggedmilk, Poo Czar and the Dakins would be the death of you.

#45 Archaeologuy
June 10 2010, 01:02PM

Hall visits Edmonchuk

#46 jeanshorts
June 10 2010, 01:03PM
Poo Czar wrote:

Uhhh.... MEECH LAKE ACCORD!!!

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!!!

DEY TUK ER JAAYBS!!!!!!!

#47 baggedmilk
June 10 2010, 01:22PM
David S wrote:

Are you suggesting that the JSBM crew are a less-than-classy bunch?

#48 Wayne's other bastard child
June 10 2010, 01:26PM

I love you Wayne!!!!

#49 Poo Czar
June 10 2010, 01:27PM
baggedmilk wrote:

Are you suggesting that the JSBM crew are a less-than-classy bunch?

Princes of respectability on the internet, to a man.

#50 Archaeologuy
June 10 2010, 01:30PM
Wayne's other bastard child wrote:

I love you Wayne!!!!