Exclusive: Daum has his say, takes the high road

Robin Brownlee
June 15 2010 03:44PM

I was half-expecting Rob Daum to dump all over the Edmonton Oilers today over how they handled showing him the door, but I should have known better.

Despite being left to twist in the wind for weeks over his future with an organization he's been a part of since joining the Oilers as an assistant coach for the 2007-08 season -- Daum was informed Friday his contract won't be renewed and he won't be coaching the team's AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City -- he took the high road.

"I really enjoyed the three years I spent in the organization," Daum said today. "They gave me the opportunity to be a coach in the NHL and I'm grateful for that. I'm not going to say anything bad about a team that gave me that chance."

Daum, 52, must be biting his lip because the way the Oilers handled his sacking leaves a lot to be desired. Coaches are hired to be fired, but the manner in which GM Steve Tambellini fumbled kicking Daum to the curb looks like a management version of a bunch of ham-handed fourth-line pluggers chopping the puck square.

Timing? Like a Zack Stortini one-timer.

LONG WAIT

Daum knows his numbers in terms of wins and losses in parts of two seasons in Springfield weren't good enough. He gets it that results are part of the deal, even at the minor league level, and even with an AHL roster that was, to understate, sadly lacking.

But Daum never saw this coming. And why would he? Since the AHL season ended in Springfield over two months ago, he'd been given no reason to believe his future was in jeopardy.

"Despite our record, I enjoyed my time there," Daum said. "I was anticipating carrying on with the organization. I had heard nothing but positive reports.

"Steve (Tambellini) himself mentioned at the end of the year that the coaches in Springfield had done a good job. When I was finally told, I was surprised and disappointed. I didn't see it coming.

"I know the record (in Springfield) wasn't good, but I can honestly say that we got every ounce out of that team that we could."

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

I'd like to know how long ago Tambellini made the decision not to renew Daum's contract and how long, exactly, the lag was between that call and when Daum was told.

What's the big deal, you ask? What's a couple of weeks or a month? Well, in the coaching business, it can be everything. Even a couple of weeks, a couple of days, can make a difference.

Any jobs that do come open are filled quickly. At the very least, short-lists are drawn up. Late entrants in the hiring game, no matter how qualified, often don't get a sniff.

"This is a kick in the nuts," Daum said. "But it's not going to change my love of coaching or my desire to be a coach. The timing is not good. It's just not good at all. Every day can make a difference.

"I haven't been out there since our season ended looking for a job because I didn't think I had to. You have to be loyal to your team and I was. I wasn't talking to anybody."

Late start or not, Daum will knock on doors and press the flesh in the hope a landing a new gig -- it might be in the NHL, the minors, even the WHL. Somebody will need a coach, and Daum is certainly that. But it shouldn't have come to this, at least not this way.

"There's not a better coach or a person for Oklahoma City than me, but that's not going to happen," Daum said. "Like I said, though, I'm thankful for the chance I was given by the Oilers. Now, I've got to move on."

Listen to Robin Brownlee Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the Jason Gregor Show on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#151 Next up, is Connor McJesus.
June 17 2010, 11:58AM

I'd put up Riley Nash and a second round pick for Horton.

#152 Archaeologuy
June 17 2010, 12:01PM

Spector's Article, 5 reasons to take Seguin over Hall.

Honestly, those are some weak reasons to take Seguin. I can legitimately say that I've personally raised more convincing reasons why Seguin is the best pick, and I'm not a professional sports writer.

I dont even have to read his piece on Hall to know that's the way he thinks the Oil should go. At least pretend to be the devils advocate, Spec. Weak sauce.

#153 TigerUnderGlass
June 17 2010, 12:06PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Spector's Article, 5 reasons to take Seguin over Hall.

Personally I am just tired of Spector. I stopped reading after his shot at Gagner.

#154 Archaeologuy
June 17 2010, 12:11PM

@TigerUnderGlass

Yeah, I guess because Sam Gagner made the team as an 18 year old that means Seguin shouldnt. Apparently moving from the 4th line to the 1st line in 3 years as well as improving his defensive play each and every year is an indicator that Gagner was rushed.

#155 I'm a Scientist!
June 17 2010, 12:15PM

Totally off topic

Umm, does the LCBO have a spelling mistake in their ad? Sasparilla? I am pretty sure it is actually Sarsaparilla... that stuff must be GOOD!

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it is Woody's that has the mistake. Interesting...now back to the Hall/Segin debate... i hear Hall is pretty good, but Seguin doesn't look like a pig... Discuss.

#156 TigerUnderGlass
June 17 2010, 12:17PM
Archaeologuy wrote:

Of course. Didn't you know that lottery picks are supposed to automatically score a minimum of 70 points by their 20th birthday?

#157 TigerUnderGlass
June 17 2010, 12:19PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Totally off topic

I don't even have a clue what you're looking at.

Where is this ad?

#158 pmg2
June 17 2010, 12:31PM

ROBIN, I'm disgusted how this man was dealt with, and I have the following to say to Mr Tambellini:

Poor decision Tambo !!! Change just for the sake of "change" is regrettably unacceptable. If we take a peek at the following: (1) Daum was not one of the old Oilers boys club members, he was a more recent and fresher mind... (2) Daum won at the university levels immensely, as well as major junior prior to that... (3) He took Houston of the AHL to 50+ wins before coming to Edmonton. 50+ WINS !!!!! (4) He was involved and instrumental in the development of the younger players on the Oil when they went on that last third of a season surge in 2008. (5) He got more wins out of a 50% "ECHL squad" in Springfield than the Oilers had this last season.

And what does he get for it ??.... Nothing !!!

#159 Hemmertime
June 17 2010, 12:45PM

This is the only Spector worth reading in the offseason:

Oh sweet! He actually linked to RB article on ON. This little site has all growed up. First time I ever seen him link ON

#160 I'm a Scientist!
June 17 2010, 01:00PM
TigerUnderGlass wrote:

I don't even have a clue what you're looking at.

Where is this ad?

Hmm, on the home page, my ad at the top of the column on the right is for the LCBO...it changes each time to some type of booze. I don't know why i felt compelled to comment on it, I should have just kept thinking about Hall and Seguin battling for thier lives...

#161 TigerUnderGlass
June 17 2010, 01:08PM
I'm a Scientist! wrote:

Ha, I never really noticed it changes. I've never noticed the Sarsparilla one.